PDA

View Full Version : 25 Years ago today......

ZStomp
12-08-2005, 03:29 AM
..John Lennon was murdered.

http://www.poster.net/gruen/gruen-john-lennon-nyc-2801082.jpg

RIP

RashoFan
12-08-2005, 03:35 AM
I was 9 years old then, very sad. The world lost a little"something" that day.

timvp
12-08-2005, 03:56 AM
Overrated.

ZStomp
12-08-2005, 06:01 AM
Overrated.

:lmao :lmao

Overrated...RAP music :vomit

:shootme

Vashner
12-08-2005, 07:39 AM
His biggest mistake in life was that loozer Yoko Ono.... She's a nutjob...

And dumber than dead wood.

Ever hear her sing? It's friggin like a horror movie.

smeagol
12-08-2005, 07:39 AM
:lmao :lmao

Overrated...RAP music :vomit

:shootme
:tu

JoeChalupa
12-08-2005, 08:18 AM
I remember that day so well.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-08-2005, 08:20 AM
Dimebag Darrell died one year ago today.

JoeChalupa
12-08-2005, 08:23 AM
The dimebag died in the 70's.

ZStomp
12-08-2005, 08:26 AM
Dimebag Darrell died one year ago today.

You know what else happened a year ago?

TMACS remarkable 4th quarter run :lol

ShoogarBear
12-08-2005, 08:44 AM
You know what else happened a year ago?

TMACS remarkable 4th quarter run :lol

Now that was a real loss. [/cheapshot]

spurschick
12-08-2005, 09:30 AM
It doesn't feel like it was 25 years ago

batman2883
12-08-2005, 09:31 AM
Damn the beatles suck so bad...this was a thread that could have gone without notice

SpursWoman
12-08-2005, 09:33 AM

Literally or figuratively? Because wasn't he shot by a pyscho fan...a year I go I guess...?

:fro

Jimcs50
12-08-2005, 09:34 AM
Overrated.

What a total idiot.

:rolleyes

Shelly
12-08-2005, 09:35 AM
Literally or figuratively? Because wasn't he shot by a pyscho fan...a year I go I guess...?

:fro

I think he's talking about being able to buy a dimebag of pot?????

batman2883
12-08-2005, 09:37 AM
Overrated.
ha ha ha ha ha thanks lj i feel the same exact way

Jimcs50
12-08-2005, 09:40 AM
ha ha ha ha ha thanks lj i feel the same exact way

You're an idiot also.

batman2883
12-08-2005, 09:43 AM
why is that?? because i find that the beatles were a piece of shit group that sucked and don't like any one of their fruity songs that are just as tasteless as a piece of paper??? The beatles blew, and their solo efforts sucked even harder........

ORION
12-08-2005, 10:01 AM
Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they sucked. I don't like them but they sold millions of records and the last time I checked selling records was a good thing

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-08-2005, 10:05 AM
Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they sucked. I don't like them but they sold millions of records and the last time I checked selling records was a good thing

http://www.crushkill.com/archives/milli.jpg

batman2883
12-08-2005, 10:07 AM
fuck that, i'd rather hear the monkees...or the patridge family or one of those lame songs from the brady bunch.....but Beatles sucked ass.....horrible ass

batman2883
12-08-2005, 10:07 AM
john mcartney is still making crappy ass music

Ginofan
12-08-2005, 10:49 AM
who the fuck is john mcartney?

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-08-2005, 10:50 AM
who the fuck is john mcartney?

http://www.ce.utexas.edu/prof/zornberg/researchgroup/people/mccartne.html

http://www.ce.utexas.edu/prof/zornberg/researchgroup/people/peopleimages/john.jpg

midgetonadonkey
12-08-2005, 10:51 AM
John McCartney?

KEDA
12-08-2005, 10:51 AM
Only BLAZE would have a pic of Mili Vanili

do you have them on your favorites whit the FREE Sirius Sat. Rad.?

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-08-2005, 10:53 AM
Only BLAZE would have a pic of Mili Vanili

do you have them on your favorites whit the FREE Sirius Sat. Rad.?

So tell us, Richard...what have you been doing since Tool Time was cancelled?

Ginofan
12-08-2005, 10:54 AM
Any hey...the beatles music is sampled over and over in rap music...or at least it's been attempted...usually court orders pop up around the time of album releases.

Ginofan
12-08-2005, 10:55 AM
So tell us, Richard...what have you been doing since Tool Time was cancelled?

:lol :lol

batman2883
12-08-2005, 10:56 AM
john paul whats the difference

ORION
12-08-2005, 10:57 AM
john McCartney was batman's prom date back when he attended john jay

Ginofan
12-08-2005, 10:58 AM
john paul whats the difference

In the words of TheTruth "aye aye aye"

batman2883
12-08-2005, 11:09 AM
orion is just mad because he couldnt get barry manilow to be his date to prom

JoeChalupa
12-08-2005, 11:09 AM
The Beatles rocked baby!!!

batman2883
12-08-2005, 11:18 AM
I shot John Lennon

Useruser666
12-08-2005, 11:31 AM
Overrated.

To a certain extent I agree.

The sone
12-08-2005, 11:35 AM

i remember when a dime bag cost a nickle...

The sone
12-08-2005, 11:36 AM
You're an idiot also.
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

The sone
12-08-2005, 11:37 AM
john mcartney is still making crappy ass music

john mcartney... :lmao :lmao :lmao

JoeChalupa
12-08-2005, 11:50 AM
i remember when a dime bag cost a nickle...

Yeah, they were called nickel bags. :smokin

I love Lennon music but then again I grew up in that era.

I wouldn't expect today's generation to appreciate the Beatles because I find it hard as hell to appreciate today's music.

King
12-08-2005, 11:52 AM
I somewhat agree with the overrated part.

Useruser666
12-08-2005, 11:54 AM
I like some of their songs a lot, Lennon's especially. But I don't get how people go ga-ga over them or rush out to Best Buy and fork over big bucks for another remix of songs or "previously unheard" recordings long after half the band has been dead.

JoeChalupa
12-08-2005, 11:56 AM
Because the music lives on...

But I get your point. I don't understand the whole Tupac Shakur thing.

Useruser666
12-08-2005, 11:57 AM
Because the music lives on...

But I get your point. I don't understand the whole Tupac Shakur thing.

The music lives on my computer for free! :lol

JoeChalupa
12-08-2005, 11:59 AM
Free works for me! :)

batman2883
12-08-2005, 12:02 PM
ha haha ha ha j/k

Beerjitsu
12-08-2005, 12:02 PM
Never have been much of a Beatles fan (really only cared for them during their hippie stage), and I agree that MUSICALLY they might have been a bit overrated. But their influence on modern pop/rock music is arguably greater than any band in history. Even if you don't like them you have to respect the impact they made. I mean, there's only a handful of bands (Who, Zepplin, Stones, maybe Queen) who are even close to them in terms of shaping the modern music landscape.

Personally I always thought Lennon was far and away the most talented Beatle. I actually liked his solo stuff better than the Beatles. And I wish Paul McCartney would just go away already.

jcrod
12-08-2005, 12:36 PM
Overrated.

:tu

just like mexicans with selena.

batman2883
12-08-2005, 12:44 PM
selena sucked but she had a huge ass that wasnt overrated...john lennon was a queer who was with some piece of shit asian that looked like a dude

JoeChalupa
12-08-2005, 12:53 PM
selena sucked but she had a huge ass that wasnt overrated...john lennon was a queer who was with some piece of shit asian that looked like a dude

But N'Sync rocks! :lol

Duff McCartney
12-08-2005, 01:18 PM
why is that?? because i find that the beatles were a piece of shit group that sucked and don't like any one of their fruity songs that are just as tasteless as a piece of paper??? The beatles blew, and their solo efforts sucked even harder........

It's obvious to me that you know absolutely nothing about music, because even anyone who knows a slight bit about music respects The Beatles for what they did.

The albums they made and the production techniques they used were unmatched by any group at that time period. They were innovaters both technically and with their songwriting and album making.

I know alot of people who don't like The Beatles but would never say they sucked because they know what they did towards music.

batman2883
12-08-2005, 01:20 PM
It's obvious to me that you know absolutely nothing about music, because even anyone who knows a slight bit about music respects The Beatles for what they did.

The albums they made and the production techniques they used were unmatched by any group at that time period. They were innovaters both technically and with their songwriting and album making.

I know alot of people who don't like The Beatles but would never say they sucked because they know what they did towards music.
THE BEATLES SUCKED!!!!! And its obvious to me that you know nothing about paying bills......yea i went there......

batman2883
12-08-2005, 01:24 PM
But N'Sync rocks! :lol
hell yeah

tlongII
12-08-2005, 02:19 PM
The Beatles were great. Rap sucks ass. timvp and batman are idiots......but I like some of batman's sigs.

Oh, Gee!!
12-08-2005, 02:21 PM
http://www.lennonthemusical.com/images/lennon1-1024.jpg

Mr. Peabody
12-08-2005, 02:24 PM
http://www.hippieshop.com/mas_assets/thumb/30104.jpg

TOP-CHERRY
12-08-2005, 02:25 PM
Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

Mr. Peabody
12-08-2005, 02:25 PM
http://img.timeinc.net/time/magazine/archive/covers/1980/1101801222_400.jpg

samikeyp
12-08-2005, 02:26 PM
^^^ :tu

Opinionater
12-08-2005, 02:32 PM
IMHO, the Beatles were the most influential rock group in history and caused many to take up music.

There will never be another such influential group.

ShoogarBear
12-08-2005, 03:52 PM
The Beatles are the ultimate representation of the naval-staring arrogance of the Baby Boomers (of which I am one), who feel that the entire focus of society should be on their age demographic, and that basically nothing important happened culturally before they were born or since their heyday.

They are not my cup of tea, but I will acknowledge that they were good and influential. However, there has been lots of as good or better music both before and after the "Fab Four".

Spurminator
12-08-2005, 03:57 PM
Yeah I think John Lennon was individually overrated... The Beatles were great as a whole, but I've never liked his solo work... ESPECIALLY that piece of crap "Imagine."

Paul McCartney was the most important Beatle, I think, but neither could have had the influence on culture that the two of them had together.

ZStomp
12-08-2005, 03:59 PM
^^Just curious...age?

Mr. Peabody
12-08-2005, 04:27 PM
The Beatles are the ultimate representation of the naval-staring arrogance of the Baby Boomers (of which I am one), who feel that the entire focus of society should be on their age demographic, and that basically nothing important happened culturally before they were born or since their heyday.

They are not my cup of tea, but I will acknowledge that they were good and influential. However, there has been lots of as good or better music both before and after the "Fab Four".

While it's true that there is some better music than the Beatles out there, no one has had the same amount of success in such a short period of time. The group was together less than a decade, but had so many hit songs during that time.

TheSuckUp
12-08-2005, 05:14 PM
The Beatles are in a class by themselves.
Both John and Paul have amazing talent.

midgetonadonkey
12-08-2005, 05:17 PM

In Corpus you would be stabbed and then raped for saying that.

She did have a really nice ass. Too bad her father had her killed.

boutons
12-08-2005, 05:24 PM
I can't find any mention of John Lennon on the NRA.org site.

JoeChalupa
12-08-2005, 05:27 PM
I remember getting pie-eyed after I heard the news. Just sat back with my buddies and we jammed.

Jekka
12-08-2005, 05:33 PM
I agree Yoko sucks ass - all she was good for is giving birth to Sean Lennon.

John on the other hand was awesome.

Anyone remember that SNL skit where they go to Central Park on the anniversary of his death? It was a few years ago.

ZStomp
12-08-2005, 05:51 PM
I agree Yoko sucks ass - all she was good for is giving birth to Sean Lennon.

John on the other hand was awesome.

Anyone remember that SNL skit where they go to Central Park on the anniversary of his death? It was a few years ago.

I knew Jekka would be pro-lennon :lol

Old School Chic
12-08-2005, 06:08 PM
BATMAN SUX!

Dude, you have Issues! :lol

Bloodline666
12-08-2005, 08:09 PM
RIP Lennon AND Dimebag...

http://www.wrif.com/midnightmetal/Dimebag%20RIP.jpg

I wasn't even born yet when John Lennon was shot. Dimebag, on the other hand, was a huge influence to me. One of the main reasons I play guitar, too. I was fortunate enough to have my guitar autographed by Dimebag a year and a half ago. I'm cranking out my Pantera CDs today! Starting with Cowboys From Hell!

ZStomp
12-08-2005, 08:45 PM
u guys are old :lol

What's old to you?

What does age have to do with it?

ShoogarBear
12-08-2005, 09:11 PM
While it's true that there is some better music than the Beatles out there, no one has had the same amount of success in such a short period of time. The group was together less than a decade, but had so many hit songs during that time.

I'm not questioning their popularity, just their "greatness".

pooh
12-08-2005, 09:24 PM
Oh what could've been...and almost did.

Link (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1915287,00.html)

Beatles 'were to come together again'
By James Bone in New York and Adam Sherwin

IT WOULD have been the sensational return of the Fab Four. But the bullet that killed John Lennon 25 years ago today destroyed plans for a Beatles reunion, according to new claims.
Lennon was making secret plans to record an album with the other former Beatles when he was killed, Jack Douglas, the producer who was working with him until minutes before his death, told The Times.

He said in an interview in New York: “He and Paul planned to play on a Ringo album and that’s how they were planning to do it, and George had not come aboard yet.”

The sticking point, however, was with Harrison. “George was already in a lot of hot water with John because of George releasing his autobiography and not really mentioning much of John in it,” Mr Douglas said. “But I think they assumed that George would come along as soon as the thing got going.”

Mr Douglas, who won a Grammy award in 1982 for producing Lennon’s Double Fantasy album, said that Lennon had already begun sending him material “earmarked verbally” on tape for the planned Ringo album. But he said that Yoko Ono was unhappy about the proposed reunion.

“Yoko discouraged Paul coming around,” Mr Douglas said. “There was a writing session somewhere in the Dakota [the apartment block where Lennon and Ono lived] and there was one cancelled which John did not know about, cancelled by a third party,” he said. “He was waiting for Paul to show up. He was told that Paul did not show. Paul was told that John was too busy.”

The revelations were given credence by a new claim that a £6 million record contract, which McCartney signed with CBS in 1978, contained a clause that allowed him to record with the Beatles at any time.

But Beatles experts said they were unaware of any Lennon reunion plans. Ray Connolly, author of The Beatles Complete, said: “John liked to help Ringo and this could have been a way he saw to get the guys back together in the studio.

“But George and Yoko had rows and she would probably have tried to stop a reunion.”

Eliot Mintz, Ono’s longtime spokesman, confirmed last night that Lennon and Ono had planned to go on a limited tour with Double Fantasy, but added that he knew knothing about the ex-Beatles playing together again.

Mr Douglas, now 60, said that Lennon spent his final day finishing off a track featuring Yoko called Walking on Thin Ice. After weeks of work, they finally finished the mix at the Hit Factory studio and agreed to meet at 9am the next day to make a master tape.

“We were all thrilled with it. His [Lennon’s] feeling was that this was the one that was going to take Yoko over the top and make her critically acclaimed, and cut him loose so that he could do his things with ‘the boys’ without Yoko tagging along. She could do her own thing,” Mr Douglas claimed.

maxpower
12-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Paul McCartney was the most important Beatle, I think, but neither could have had the influence on culture that the two of them had together.

Paul McCartney was a joke...and every other Beatle even admitted preferring John over Paul. George even criticised Paul because the only thing Paul did after Sgt Pepper, was cripple the musical influence anybody else had.

George would say that Paul would never be open to any other ideas. Paul was not the most important Beatle at all. I don't think anyone was, they were all important.

-Duff

Pistons < Spurs
12-08-2005, 09:48 PM
IMHO, the Beatles were the most influential rock group in history and caused many to take up music.

There will never be another such influential group.

I absolutely agree with this........

But I do also agree that Lennon/Beatles are grossly overrated. Mostly as I do not enjoy any with few exceptions of their songs/music.

IMO the same holds true to Elvis.

MannyIsGod
12-08-2005, 09:54 PM
Lennon was pretty damn incredible with his solowork. I don't like Imagine very much either, but Working Class Hero and some of this other songs were straight to the point ni a really raw and awesome way.

As for Mcartnety being the most important Beattle....

I realy don't think he was even close to Lennon, and I don't think he was ahead of Harrison in talent either. He might have had the most "superstar" power, though. I think the talent was elsewhere.

And Ringo just sucks. :lol

MannyIsGod
12-08-2005, 09:58 PM
What people mean by overrated, is I don't like them. But when you look at the influence and changes they made to music they are not overrated. Personal preference changes and is not quantifiable, but other things are.

midgetonadonkey
12-08-2005, 09:59 PM
I agree. I don't like the Beatles for shit but in no way are they overrated.

The sone
12-08-2005, 10:48 PM
I agree. I don't like the Beatles for shit but in no way are they overrated.

true true..name your favorite band and i can see them saying the beatles were a huge influence...even rap. :lol :lol

ZStomp
12-08-2005, 10:55 PM
I absolutely agree with this........

But I do also agree that Lennon/Beatles are grossly overrated. Mostly as I do not enjoy any with few exceptions of their songs/music.

IMO the same holds true to Elvis.

See Manny's post above. Personal reference is one thing.....I am a new fan of the Beatles and although 10 years ago I wasn't a fan...I knew that they had brought upon a change. I knew they were something special.

PS. ELVIS ROCKS!

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
12-08-2005, 11:10 PM
The Beatles overrated? Maybe, but you are talking about one of the most talented, creative and popular bands of the past century. It's pretty damn hard to avoid overrating them. At their time, they were both among the most talented and most popular at what they did, how many artists can say that?

They also changed the face of popular music forever, without the Beatles (along with others like Elvis, Chuck Berry, Rolling Stones, etc), there wouldn't be any of the music we have heard for this past four decades, for good or wrong. They inspired so many people around the world to form a band that it's impossible to measure their influence.

But they weren't just all about popular sucess, they also helped popular music mutate from classic Rock & Roll into a more complex form, with arregments, production (George Martin takes credit here), composition and sounds that were never used before.

Lennon solo career wasn't as succesful as expected in commercial terms, but he certainly had an amazing amount of good songs in his catalogue. Tragically, his life reached and unexpected end, and many people have missed the chance of hearing his music. I say this since I'm 23, and I know people from my generation or younger only know The Beatles as something that was big in the past, but they aren't sure why.

Spurminator
12-08-2005, 11:17 PM
Paul McCartney was a joke...and every other Beatle even admitted preferring John over Paul. George even criticised Paul because the only thing Paul did after Sgt Pepper, was cripple the musical influence anybody else had.

I never said he wasn't an asshole, but he was the best musician in the group. He wasn't much of a lyricist, but without him the Beatles would have simply been a snobby art rock band with no real melody, except for the occasional George Harrison gem.

And as much as I like George Harrison, he could have never written enough material to sustain longevity without Paul and John. Paul had the best musical sense of any of them. John was more of an experimental poet. For the most part, his solo work appealed to artsy snobs, not music lovers.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
12-08-2005, 11:21 PM
I never said he wasn't an asshole, but he was the best musician in the group. He wasn't much of a lyricist, but without him the Beatles would have simply been a snobby art rock band with no real melody, except for the occasional George Harrison gem.

And as much as I like George Harrison, he could have never written enough material to sustain longevity without Paul and John. Paul had the best musical sense of any of them. John was more of an experimental poet. For the most part, his solo work appealed to artsy snobs, not music lovers.

And it was the combination of the parts what made them so great. You had McCartney's pop melodies, and composition talent, combined with Lennon raw, anger, expermental side, plus George's songs, with Hindu arrengments, and well...Ringo in the drums!

Spurminator
12-08-2005, 11:22 PM
Completely agree.

And before I'm misunderstood, let me say I'm not a big fan of McCartney's solo work either, though I do prefer it to Lennon's.

N.Y. Johnny
12-08-2005, 11:26 PM
See Manny's post above. Personal reference is one thing.....I am a new fan of the Beatles and although 10 years ago I wasn't a fan...I knew that they had brought upon a change. I knew they were something special.

PS. ELVIS ROCKS!

Fuck Yeah Elvis!!!

10 yrs ago? a new fan? :lol
I fuckin can't believe its been 25 years...jesus i remember Cosell announcing it on Monday Night Football..

The sone
12-08-2005, 11:47 PM
Fuck Yeah Elvis!!!

10 yrs ago? a new fan? :lol
I fuckin can't believe its been 25 years...jesus i remember Cosell announcing it on Monday Night Football..

"look at that monkey run...run monkey, run!!"

N.Y. Johnny
12-08-2005, 11:50 PM
"look at that monkey run...run monkey, run!!"

:lmao yeah, i remember that too and Jimmy The Greek.

Duff McCartney
12-09-2005, 02:08 AM
As for Mcartnety being the most important Beattle....

I realy don't think he was even close to Lennon, and I don't think he was ahead of Harrison in talent either. He might have had the most "superstar" power, though. I think the talent was elsewhere.

I don't agree with Manny that he had less talent than Harrison, because some of the best solos the Beatles had weren't by Harrison. Listen to the Taxman solo and that's Paul McCartney playing it.

But him being the most important Beatle is a joke..hardly. The more I read and learn about Paul McCartney the less I like of him because of his enormous ego and his absolute insistance on distancing himself from some of the crappy stuff The Beatles did that was his idea, and his utter glory-grabbing on things that were less his and more Johns or Georges.

Duff McCartney
12-09-2005, 02:09 AM
Lennon solo career wasn't as succesful as expected in commercial terms, but he certainly had an amazing amount of good songs in his catalogue.

Personally, I think Plastic Ono Band is by far one of the most underrated albums in rock history. It's so brilliant and has so much anger coming from John. I love it.