PDA

View Full Version : Playful Duncan adds trick pass to effort in fifth-straight victory

spursupporter
12-08-2005, 04:56 AM
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Tim Duncan already had dunked over Alonzo Mourning, flushed a lob pass from Tony Parker and banked in another half-dozen shots. Then he decided to go Manu on Miami.

With the Spurs leading by double figures in Wednesday's fourth quarter and many of the 18,797 at the SBC Center filing out into the frozen night, Duncan decided it was as good a time as any for a behind-the-back pass to Nick Van Exel.

The ball, however, made it only as far as Duncan's right foot, deflecting off his shoe and skidding out of bounds. Duncan laughed. His teammates shook their heads.

Said Parker: "I told him just stay at center." :lol

Duncan put his guard skills on hold long enough to lead the Spurs to a 98-84 victory. He scored 28 points, took 16 rebounds and blocked four shots as the Spurs extended their winning streak to five games.

Manu Ginobili added 27 points, while Parker had 14 points and a season-best 11 assists. With those three going to the rim — and no Shaquille O'Neal to stop them — the Spurs outscored Miami 54-22 in the lane.

"We have to attack them in there," Duncan said. "We didn't force a whole lot. Not only the big guys inside, but Manu and Tony got in there a lot and drew some fouls and really slowed their guys down."

Miami was making its final stop on a five-game, nine-day trip, and with a sprained right ankle still sidelining O'Neal, the Heat have relied on Mourning.

He entered Wednesday averaging a league-high four blocks but didn't swat a single shot against the Spurs — the first time in 32 games he finished without at least one block. :elephant

Ginobili lofted an array of floaters and scoop shots over the arms of Mourning and Miami's other defenders.

"Manu is an exceptional finisher — one of the best in the league," Heat coach Stan Van Gundy said. "Duncan obviously is going to go over the top.

"It's a different world in here. It's a different world against the Spurs compared to the other teams we've played this year."

Duncan went to the bench after about seven minutes after picking up his second foul. The Heat took advantage, outscoring the Spurs 10-4 over the next seven minutes.

Unfortunately for Miami, Duncan did not spend the entire evening in a chair. He returned with 9:26 left in the second quarter and promptly tossed in a hook shot.

The next four minutes brought more of the same: a bank shot; a dunk off a nice pass from Nazr Mohammed; and a three-point play when he faked Udonis Haslem off his feet, drew a foul and banged in a 13-footer off the backboard.

If that wasn't enough to get everyone's attention, Duncan's next shot did. He caught a bounce pass in stride from Parker before throwing down a powerful dunk over Mourning.

The Heat focused on keeping Parker out of the lane, often chasing him with a pair of defenders off pick-and-rolls. Miami had other ways to deter Parker from getting to the rim: Michael Doleac cracked him across the head in the third quarter — a flagrant 2 foul that automatically resulted in the Heat center's ejection.

"There was one time where Parker had the ball about 2 inches off the floor on the dribble and was by everyone before we knew it," Van Gundy said. "He was tough to contain."

Bruce Bowen, meanwhile, did his best to corral Dwyane Wade. Wade scored 31 points, 15 of which came at the foul line.

He cramped up after landing on Bowen's foot late in the game. Bowen, who has been accused of stepping under shooters, crowded Wade after he released his shot but immediately apologized.

Said Bowen: "He told me, 'I know you're not like that.'"

After Wade helped reduce the Spurs' lead to nine points midway through the fourth quarter, Duncan went back to work. He spun by Antoine Walker on the baseline, then laid the ball through the rim as Wayne Simien fouled him.

It was the same move Duncan made after Orlando rallied in the fourth quarter Monday. It also produced the same result: The Heat made one final push but couldn't get close enough.

As for Parker's contention that Duncan should give up his point-guard aspirations?

"All of them are just jealous," Duncan said. "That's what it comes down to. There's a lot of jealousy on this team." :lol

polandprzem
12-08-2005, 05:47 AM
I Love that TEAM.
Just love them. On court offcourt, theirs personality, sense of humor and all.

I L O V E T H E M

themvp
12-08-2005, 06:48 AM
I Love that TEAM.
Just love them. On court offcourt, theirs personality, sense of humor and all.

I L O V E T H E M

Yeah, me too
:fro

Rummpd
12-08-2005, 07:45 AM
"He spun by Antoine Walker on the baseline, then laid the ball through the rim as Wayne Simien fouled him."

One of Tim's most agressive and beautiful plays in awhile (he had a similar one in their last game) it was a poetic moment as Walker looked like a school kid trying to defend Duncan - who rather than just shooting over him with his height advantage, just ABUSED him with fundemental and wonderous basketball.

Some of Parker's moves were also beyond belief.

maxpower
12-08-2005, 08:53 AM
That wasn't a behind the back pass attempt. He has done that many times before. What he does is allows the ball to dribble in open space while the guy coming up from behind reaches the ball. In essence he leaves the ball bouncing and continues running up court. However since he was leaning away from the sideline to continue running toward the basket, in his pushoff his foot ended up on the spot where the ball was going to be left bouncing..... again ..not a behind the back pass.

Jimcs50
12-08-2005, 09:47 AM
"All of them are just jealous," Duncan said. "That's what it comes down to. There's a lot of jealousy on this team."

Oh no, TD is going to want to be traded now...you can not expect him to put up with all that jealousy.

T Park
12-08-2005, 10:23 AM
LOL.

This team's chemistry is at an all time high.

You watch shoot arounds before games.

Even Rasho is joking around now.

RASHO!! THE INTROVERT!!

Its unreal.

Ive never seen a team that gets along so well in timeout huddles and in pregame shoot arounds.

Although when they make mistakes they get on each other, wich is fantastic.

That Duncan line is hilarious.

T Park
12-08-2005, 10:24 AM
Bruce Bowen, meanwhile, did his best to corral Dwyane Wade. Wade scored 31 points, 15 of which came at the foul line.

He cramped up after landing on Bowen's foot late in the game. Bowen, who has been accused of stepping under shooters, crowded Wade after he released his shot but immediately apologized.

Said Bowen: "He told me, 'I know you're not like that.'"

Congrats D Wade, your officially my favorite player that does NOT wear a Spurs jersey.

Solid D
12-08-2005, 10:43 AM
Said Parker: "I told him just stay at center."

For the few remaining fans that don't think Tim is a Center.

Beerjitsu
12-08-2005, 11:13 AM
Congrats D Wade, your officially my favorite player that does NOT wear a Spurs jersey.

Yeah, it's nice to hear a player NOT piss and moan about Bruce's "dirty" play. Classy on Wade's part.

boutons
12-08-2005, 11:19 AM
Given the history of these claims, I think Bruce could do himself, and the jumpshooter, a big favor when is jumpshooter is in the air to keep his feet well away from the landing area. Bruce "did" last night to Wade just about what he did to Vince. Bruce turned to watch the shot and planted his foot very close to where Dwayne was to land. It's not necessary move by Bruce to complete the play.

Getting up close to his man when he shoots a jumper doesn't give Bruce any pretext to be anywhere near the guy's feet. I'm not suggesting Bruce is dirty, but I'm sure he can make the tiny effort or adjust his defense so nobody else can.

Imagine: had famous, everybody's-favorite, all-star Dwayne gone down hard on Bruce to be out for weeks, the "Bruce is dirty" chorus would be loudly all over the media today. There would be repeated video clips of Vince/Bruce, Dwayne/Bruce. Bruce doesn't need that infamy, the Spurs don't need that infamy and distraction.

Notorious H.O.P.
12-08-2005, 11:26 AM
Imagine: had famous, everybody's-favorite, all-star Dwayne gone down hard on Bruce to be out for weeks, the "Bruce is dirty" chorus would be loudly all over the media today. There would be repeated video clips of Vince/Bruce, Dwayne/Bruce. Bruce doesn't need that infamy, the Spurs don't need that infamy and distraction.

I'll take any opportunity to see replays of Bruce kicking Wally in the face. Someone should do a GIF of it but add Mortal Kombat graphics on it with a "FINISH HIM!!!" right before Bruce jumps to kick him.

Useruser666
12-08-2005, 11:45 AM
With stupid TO's like this we are never gonna be able to get rid of this cancer.

Useruser666
12-08-2005, 11:47 AM
Given the history of these claims, I think Bruce could do himself, and the jumpshooter, a big favor when is jumpshooter is in the air to keep his feet well away from the landing area. Bruce "did" last night to Wade just about what he did to Vince. Bruce turned to watch the shot and planted his foot very close to where Dwayne was to land. It's not necessary move by Bruce to complete the play.

Getting up close to his man when he shoots a jumper doesn't give Bruce any pretext to be anywhere near the guy's feet. I'm not suggesting Bruce is dirty, but I'm sure he can make the tiny effort or adjust his defense so nobody else can.

Well it's a good thing they called Bruce for that foul when Wade landed on him.

T Park
12-08-2005, 11:57 AM
Who gives a shit what everyone else thinks?

Keep doing your thing Bruce.

DOn't change.

ca®lo
12-08-2005, 12:16 PM
bruce for DPOY

easjer
12-08-2005, 01:21 PM
DWade is a classy guy. And that statement was classy as well. I particularly like that he made sure they knew he cramped up, that it wasn't rolling on Bowen's foot.

samikeyp
12-08-2005, 02:39 PM

see...Wade gets it...too bad others don't.

sprrs
12-08-2005, 03:11 PM
Yeah, it's nice to hear a player NOT piss and moan about Bruce's "dirty" play. Classy on Wade's part.

pretty much. I've always liked Wade, he just goes out to play, never complains. Can't say the same about some of his teammates however.