PDA

View Full Version : Protesting for Peace

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-31-2004, 03:40 AM
www.nytimes.com/2004/08/3...&position= (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/31/politics/campaign/31protest.html?ei=5006&en=a9ba78aba9c3fa99&ex=1094616000&partner=ALTAVISTA1&pagewanted=print&position=)

Outside a hotel in Times Square, delegates to the Republican National Convention were swarmed by protesters dressed in black and swearing at them. Blocks away, delegates engaged in shoving matches with protesters seeking to spoil their night at the theater. And outside "The Lion King" on 42nd Street, a delegate was punched by a protester who ran by.

Good to see those liberals screaming for peace and no more violence in Iraq are holding themselves to their own standards.

NeoConIV
08-31-2004, 03:42 AM
Good ol secular humanism in action!!!

T Park Num 9
08-31-2004, 04:30 AM
really nice.

I wont try to lump all the democrats in on these groups.

But come on, Kerry or someone needs to stand up and say hey, you guys, chill out, let them have there time.

exstatic
08-31-2004, 12:09 PM
But come on, Kerry or someone needs to stand up and say hey, you guys, chill out, let them have there time.

I think he's probably still waiting on Dubyah to renounce the SBVFT.

bigzak25
08-31-2004, 12:14 PM
Free Speech is one thing.....Right to protest peacefully...no problem....

blocking streets, vandalism, violence.....Kerry would be wise to distance himself from this.....

Bandit2981
08-31-2004, 12:19 PM
i thought he did? ive heard him on interviews and many other dems say they dont want anything violent or disorderly happening...to think kerry would welcome disruptive behavior from protestors is insane

TheMrPeanut
08-31-2004, 12:21 PM
I guess politics make some people nuts.

Tommy Duncan
08-31-2004, 12:22 PM
I think he's probably still waiting on Dubyah to renounce the SBVFT.

He hasn't? What part of "that ad and every other ad" does not constitute a renouncement of that 527 and its efforts? He's praised Kerry's service and even said Kerry's service was heroic.

The problem for Kerry is that people are tired of hearing about Vietnam and more and more (rightly) blame Kerry for making it such an issue in the first place.

Yonivore
08-31-2004, 12:37 PM
"I think he's probably still waiting on Dubyah to renounce the SBVFT."
Then he must have missed the press conference in which President Bush did just that. Besides, how can the President specifically renounce the content of the SBVFT ads when the debate over their veracity is still raging?

The President came out against all 527's, saying they were bad for the process...and specifically stated he included the SBVFT ads in that category. And, further, he praised Senator Kerry's Vietnam Service -- even allowing that Kerry's service in Vietnam was more noble, admirable, and heroic than his own stateside service in the Air National Guard.

What more do you want? Oh, I know. You want Bush to start campaigning for Kerry.

And, personally, I don't think it's Kerry's place to try and quell the protestors in New York City. Let them protest. At least the Republicans didn't have them caged like animals, as was done in Boston by the Demoncrats.

Bandit2981
08-31-2004, 12:41 PM
You want Bush to start campaigning for Kerry
that would be pretty cool :spin

JohnnyMarzetti
08-31-2004, 12:45 PM
Oh, but the fun doesn't stop at the RNC.

Just how low will these people sink?

It is outrageous and appalling that some of the RNC delegates are wearing bandaids with Purple Hearts.

The bandaids were handed out by Morton Blackwell, a longtime GOP activist from Virginia, with the message: "It was just a self-inflicted scratch, but you see I got a Purple Heart for it.''

They not only mock a proven war hero they mock the U.S. Navy. This is does not display support for our troops or our military. It is unpatriotic behavior in the first degree.

"It is inexcusable for a delegate to mock anyone who has ever put on a soldier's uniform," said Democratic Chairman Terry McAuliffe. "It is inexcusable to mock service and sacrifice."

Kerry and Edwards need to speak out against this dispicable behavior today, not after the RNC is over!

Does anyone know the unpatriotic Morton Blackwell's address and/or phone number? I would love to protest in front of his house!

What do you think should be done about this?

Tommy Duncan
08-31-2004, 12:46 PM
The funny thing is, Bush was on tape saying that he thought Kerry's service in Vietnam was heroic...and the Kerry campaign needed that more to burnish Kerry's image than Bush's campaign needed it.

Kerry's campaign seems rather lost right now.

Tommy Duncan
08-31-2004, 12:49 PM
It is outrageous and appalling that some of the RNC delegates are wearing bandaids with Purple Hearts.

The bandaids were handed out by Morton Blackwell, a longtime GOP activist from Virginia,

There you go, handed out by a lone fool and a few wore them. BFD.

"It is inexcusable for a delegate to mock anyone who has ever put on a soldier's uniform," said Democratic Chairman Terry McAuliffe. "It is inexcusable to mock service and sacrifice."

But of course it is perfectly fine for the DNC to mock an honorable discharge from the National Guard.

Yonivore
08-31-2004, 12:53 PM
I know, being a liberal and all, that you're somewhat intellectually challenged, Johnny. However, you omitted a couple of crucial points from the article you quoted (and failed to link).

Here, let me help you out.

First the link: Delegate Wears 'Purple Heart' Bandages (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040831/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_purple_heart_bandages)

Now, the stuff you failed to mention:

"...but national GOP officials have asked him to stop."
and, the final paragraph:

"'GOP Chairman Ed Gillespie spoke to Blackwell and they agreed that he would not distribute the bandages Tuesday night,' said Republican spokesman Jim Dyke. 'This was not a party activity, but he was acting as an individual.'"
You're welcome.

Yonivore
08-31-2004, 12:58 PM
"Kerry and Edwards need to speak out against this dispicable behavior today, not after the RNC is over!"
You know, if Kerry hadn't had to retract his "Cambodia Christmas" lie, his "VC Blown Overboard" lie, his "Withering Enemy Fire" lie, and his "First Heard About MLK's Assassination Seven Months After the Fact" lie; I'd say yeah, he needs to address this one lone RNC delegate.

But, alas, I doubt he has the credibility to debate the issue of his own valor anymore. So, I think he'll just continue engaging in that "blue collar" recreational pursuit of:

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040830/capt.malr10208302142.kerry_malr102.jpg

E20
08-31-2004, 02:16 PM
The protesters at the RNC should just leave them alone. They're protesting isn't gonna stop nothing and should just let the Republicans have there convention. If the protesters are so ticked they should go and have a DNC.