PDA

View Full Version : Building Team USA

Kori Ellis
12-08-2005, 01:49 PM
By Chris Sheridan
ESPN Insider

Gilbert Arenas is gung ho, Chris Bosh is ready to jump on board, too, and Carmelo Anthony has been interviewed by national team czar Jerry Colangelo about representing the United States at the 2006 World Championship in Japan and the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, ESPN.com has learned.

Colangelo also has met briefly with several players, including Richard Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince of the Detroit Pistons, and held longer face-to-face meetings with others to ask for a three-year commitment to the U.S. national team.

Dwyane Wade, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, Amare Stoudemire and Tim Duncan are also on the short list of players Colangelo would like to add to the team's core, but he has not yet spoken to all of them.

The toughest player to convince could be Duncan, whose parting words for the international basketball federation as he left Athens -- "FIBA sucks" -- indicate his strong unwillingness to ever play in another international competition. Duncan felt the referees treated him unfairly during the Athens Olympics.

If logistics allow, Colangelo plans to speak to as many as 35 players before extending any formal invitations. The first official members of the team probably will not be announced until the All-Star break in mid-February.

"I've met with five players and laid out everything expected of them regarding the commitment, and what's expected of them on and off the court," Colangelo told ESPN.com. "So far, I'm five-for-five with the guys I've spoken to about participating. And some players who were pessimistic in their comments a couple of months ago are now soliciting an invitation."

Paul Pierce, Elton Brand, Wade, Michael Redd, Lamar Odom, Dwight Howard and others have expressed interest -- some publicly, some through back channels -- in playing for USA Basketball as the American federation tries to recover from the humiliation of a bronze-medal finish at the Athens Olympics and a sixth-place showing at the 2002 World Championship.

"Any time your country seeks you out to represent it, it's an honor," Bosh said. "Ever since I saw the Dream Team play in '92 [when he was 8], it was such a big-time thing. It made a big impression on me. They were killing guys."

Bryant has expressed a strong desire to play for the national team after his sexual-assault trial kept him from playing on the 2004 Olympic team, while Jermaine O'Neal said he would like to play again but is uncertain about making a three-year commitment.

O'Neal and LeBron James both said they had not yet spoken to Colangelo.

A few other high-profile stars, including Shaquille O'Neal, Tracy McGrady and Mike Bibby, appear to be off the radar for now. But with Colangelo trying to stock the national team roster with as many as 24 players, he is building in wiggle room for players who might want to play in the World Championship or the Olympics, but not both.

In an effort to rebound from its three losses each in Athens and Indianapolis -- the first ever by U.S. teams using NBA players -- the U.S. federation has moved away from the selection-by-committee process it had used for nearly a decade, giving Colangelo full authority to assemble the roster.

"This is not necessarily going to involve the top guys in terms of talent," Colangelo said. "There's going to be additions, deletions. It'll be a fluid process. This is not a situation where a guy is invited and he's a lock."

Colangelo believes there is only so much room for superstars on the next U.S. team, and he'll attempt to balance the roster with role players who would work well within the team concept and whose specialties would include outside shooting, shot-blocking and man-to-man defending.

He also said there will be one significant change for the next U.S. team from the one that went to Athens: No more entourages.

"When we break camp, we're leaving on a mission. No entourages and no families are heading to the Far East," Colangelo said. "We'll bring families in for the medal round if we make it." Duke's Mike Krzyzewski will coach the U.S. team at the Worlds in Japan next summer and the Olympics in Beijing in 2008, and the assistant coaches will be Mike D'Antoni of the Phoenix Suns, Nate McMillan of the Portland Trail Blazers and Jim Boeheim of Syracuse.

If the Americans fail to win the World Championship next summer, they'll also have to field a team for an Olympic qualifying tournament in 2007.

All three of those teams will train in Las Vegas, which is close to finalizing a three-year deal to become the site of the national team's training camp.

The U.S. team that will compete in Japan will play two exhibitions in China and two others in South Korea, making stops along the way at U.S. military bases to hold practices.

Colangelo said several NBA teams had offered the services of their overseas-based scouts to compile reports on international players, teams and coaches.

Kori Ellis
12-08-2005, 02:07 PM
I wonder if there's any chance at all that Duncan is willing to participate. I seriously doubt it, especially since Pop isn't coaching.

It will be interesting to see which players actually want to make the 3-year commitment.

JMarkJohns
12-08-2005, 03:57 PM
I wouldn't want Kobe anywhere near this team. No thanks.

Bibby, Wade, Iverson
Redd, Hamilton, Allen
Prince, Marion, James, Battier
Duncan, Garnett, Dwight Howard
Brad Miller, Amare, Rasheed Wallace

Those should be the main invitees... Choose the 12 man team from those 16 choices.

You want unselfish players who can shoot the ball and create, move without the ball and play tough defense.

RogerIsEatingASandwich
12-08-2005, 03:59 PM
Pop should be the head coach.

The 3-year commitment is a joke.

Marklar MM
12-08-2005, 04:28 PM
Pop should be the head coach.

The 3-year commitment is a joke.

You saw what happened with the former commitment...bronze medal.

whottt
12-08-2005, 04:30 PM
I think Duncan is going to want a Gold Medal since it once of the few pieces of hardware that has eluded him...and Manu has one. Duncan is competitive and he likes to win.

He was disenfranchised after the last Olympics...but I think he might be willing to reconsider if the team is built the right way. One that he knows can win and where he won't have to carry the team.

I seriously doubt they will get a multi year commitment out of him though.

ChumpDumper
12-08-2005, 04:33 PM
I still think Pop should coach Serbia-Montenegro or whatever team from that area that makes it.

whottt
12-08-2005, 04:34 PM
Oh...and if he doesn't ever play again, I would totally understand that as well. Not only because of the way he was officiated in the last Olympics...but the American public were absolute pricks towards the 04 team...they should have been ripping the guys that didn't go... not the ones that did.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-08-2005, 04:59 PM
From the list of names it looks like Team USA hasn't learned a damn thing. Team USA still appears to be working the dream team mentality, when they need to pick a couple of core stars and then build around those guys with role players.

Walton Buys Off Me
12-08-2005, 05:24 PM
The fact that Gregg Popovich was not selected as a coach for this 'Colangelo love-fest' makes me sick. Mike D'Antoni and Nate McMillan have accomplished excatly what- other than having their asses wiped with sandpaper by Pop? To a man, every player you hear expresses nothing but admiration and respect for Popovich, does Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett or Shaquille O'Neal even know who D'Antoni is? Why would they?

I'm not American so it's really not my place to throw gasoline but I am a basketball fan and the fact that Jerry Colangelo snubs the best coach in sports for some jagoff that was asking people if they wanted fries with that while Pop was winning rings is a joke.

ducks
12-08-2005, 05:48 PM
why do you think kobe would help?
if he played as a team he would help but right now he is forcing shots

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
12-08-2005, 05:48 PM

Bibby, Wade, Iverson
Redd, Hamilton, Allen

Those should be the main invitees... Choose the 12 man team from those 16 choices.

You want unselfish players who can shoot the ball and create, move without the ball and play tough defense.

That sounds very good, but I would add some perimeter defense, someone like Artest (if the coach can control his head), or Bowen. When some Lithuanian is going nuclear from 3 point land, those kind of defenders are a must have on the court. I would replace Brad Miller for Ben Wallace or Marcus Camby (if not injured). But most important, the team would need some time playing together, if a player says he will play for Team USA, he should accept that he will be called up for the next 4 summers.

JMarkJohns
12-08-2005, 05:55 PM
The fact that Gregg Popovich was not selected as a coach for this 'Colangelo love-fest' makes me sick. Mike D'Antoni and Nate McMillan have accomplished excatly what- other than having their asses wiped with sandpaper by Pop? To a man, every player you hear expresses nothing but admiration and respect for Popovich, does Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett or Shaquille O'Neal even know who D'Antoni is? Why would they?

I'm not American so it's really not my place to throw gasoline but I am a basketball fan and the fact that Jerry Colangelo snubs the best coach in sports for some jagoff that was asking people if they wanted fries with that while Pop was winning rings is a joke.

D'Antoni isn't the coach. Neither is McMillan. Mike Krzyzewski is.

Here's the thing. Pops is the best NBA coach out there, but the NBA game doesn't work anymore. FIBA works. Both D'Antoni (who's won FIBA titles) and McMillan were coaches last year who ran a European style in the NBA and had good success doing it. Pops was an assistant last year and the team didn't do much. Not blaming it on him or even Brown, but that style is something that needs to be moved away from.

As for the players... I have no problem with 8/9 All-Stars and 3/4 quality role players like Prince, Battier and Brad Miller. Players like Hamilton, Rasheed and Redd weren't part of the horrible team last season. Bibby didn't play... so basically there's around 5/6 players (Duncan, Iverson, Wade, Marion, James, Amare) who were a part of the 2004 team.

Have a veteran core of 4/5 players, a young nucleas of 3/4 and a role core od 3/4. If it was me, I'd have Bibby, Iverson, Redd, Hamilton, Duncan with Amare, Wade, LeBron and then Rasheed, Battier, Prince, Miller. If Duncan doesn't go, then place him with Marion.

JMarkJohns
12-08-2005, 05:57 PM
You can't have Ben Wallace on a FIBA team. That was tried and failed miserably. You need offensive skills. Camby isn't bad. I'd much rather have him than Ben Wallce.

Thing about Artest is he's a cancer and Prince and Battier are very good defenders, as is Hamilton.

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-08-2005, 06:02 PM
Artest = international incident.

For as much fun as Barkley calling the Angolan team "spearchuckers" was, I don't think anyone wants to risk another black eye (literal or figurative) for US basketball. I agree with AHF, this team is being set up for another let down, probably an even bigger one. The last Olympics showed that this isn't just the All-star game, they need to play as a team. And who will make these guys come together? A head coach with zero pro or international experience. And he's backed up by two guys whose solution to the problem of who gets the ball are the D'Antoni system of taking 300 shots every night so that everyone feels involved, and Nate's previous system of having Ray Allen shoot 300 shots a night. This is complete backlash against the defense first tandem of Brown and Pop last year.

JamStone
12-08-2005, 06:24 PM
I'd like to see this team assembled:

Allen Iverson > Kirk Hinrich
Dwyane Wade > Michael Redd
LeBron James > Carmelo Anthony > Tayshaun Prince
Elton Brand > Dwight Howard > Chris Bosh
Amare Stoudemire > Emeka Okafor

Alternates: Chris Paul, Adam Morrison, Shane Battier, Shelden Williams

myhc
12-08-2005, 06:51 PM
here's my picks:
Allen Iverson/Chauncey Billups-AI was our best player in 04 and he's becoming so much more of a complete PG now; Chauncy for his toughness and unselfishness

Kobe/Rip Hamilton/Ray Allen-I love Wade but at this point I'll still take Kobe's jump shot over Wade's, that and Kobe is a better defender; Rip and Ray Allen are the ultimate zone busters

Lebron James/Tayshaun Prince/Bruce Bowen-the ultimate playmaker and ready to actually PLAY this time around; defense defense and more defense-put Tayshaun and Bruce in the game together with Chauncey, Kobe and Timmy and the other team won't score

Tim Duncan/Kevin Garnett-let them play catch and shoot all day long with KG's sweet jumper

Amare Stoudamire/Marcus Camby-Amare wants to play more this time too; we need someone to clean the boards and play D so Marcus is your guy

this team takes the gold medal handily

JMarkJohns
12-08-2005, 06:55 PM
NO KOBE... anyone who think's he'll not want the spotlight is insane.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-08-2005, 07:09 PM
Here's the thing. Pops is the best NBA coach out there, but the NBA game doesn't work anymore. FIBA works. Both D'Antoni (who's won FIBA titles) and McMillan were coaches last year who ran a European style in the NBA and had good success doing it.

Good success? What did they win? NEXT.

I'll clue you in. You think "FIBA works"? What the fuck do you think the Spurs are? Damn, we have 7 international guys on our team. And playing the FIBA way we kicked the shit out of your suck ass Suns squad.

Wake the fuck up Sunny boy.

Pops was an assistant last year and the team didn't do much.

:lol I love it. Because on a team with Larry Brown as head coach the assistants had a lot of say.

strangeweather
12-08-2005, 07:26 PM

Bibby, Wade, Iverson
Redd, Hamilton, Allen

You only have one true point guard, Bibby, on the team. Bibby's a good choice, but it would be nice to have a second distributor, like Chauncey, Baron Davis, or Cassell.

My suggestions:

PG: Bibby, Billups, Cassell
SG: Redd, Allen, Hamilton
SF: McGrady, James, T-Mac
PF: Garnett, Amare, Odom
C: Duncan, Brad Miller, Dwight Howard

The basic goal is to find PGs who can both distribute and shoot, SGs who are dedicated shooters, perimeter stars at SF that can both drive and shoot, PFs that can space the floor out or grapple for rebounds inside, and pure post players at C.

Not all of these guys are going to want to join the team, and really, it's not necessary to have Kobe, T-Mac, and LeBron on the same team anyway. So you get whatever stars you can get, then fill in with solid role players like Battier who are willing to take a back seat and play their roles.

myhc
12-08-2005, 07:32 PM
NO KOBE... anyone who think's he'll not want the spotlight is insane.

kobe craves the attention but i also think he wants to win to clean up his image some and he's smart enough to know that if he jacks up 15-20 contested shots on this team and they lose, he'll be the scapegoat. i think with so many superstars around him, he'd take advantage of his teammates. you're also forgetting coach k's influence will reign him in some.

oh and it looks like i got kobe and ray allen on the same team. :lol i'll put michael redd in there instead.

JMarkJohns
12-08-2005, 07:44 PM
Good success? What did they win? NEXT.

I'll clue you in. You think "FIBA works"? What the fuck do you think the Spurs are? Damn, we have 7 international guys on our team. And playing the FIBA way we kicked the shit out of your suck ass Suns squad.

Wake the fuck up Sunny boy.

You're so stupid it's not even funny. So, by your logic, Stockton, Malone, Ewing, Barkley, so on and so forth are all failures because they never won the Title. With no Title, no claim of success can be made? Get over yourself.

By the same logic, Gervin is a failure or even, shall I say, LOSER...

That comment is so rediculous...

You may have seven international guys, but you don't play FIBA style.

And yes, the Spurs beat the Suns in the NBA. Thanks for proving my points. Pops works wonders in the NBA. He's the League's best coach.

Pull yer head out of effin' goat's ass, will ya.

Spurs rule the NBA. No doubt. Pops could do well. Didn't say he couldn't, but simply because Pops isn't the coach, doesn't mean the coaches picked can't succeed. I think Krzyzewski is a fine pick. He's a great teacher and commands respect. The other two I don't particularly like as coaches and I'm on record here as saying that D'Antoni isn't that good of a coach, but I understand why each was picked.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-08-2005, 07:54 PM
You're so stupid it's not even funny. So, by your logic, Stockton, Malone, Ewing, Barkley, so on and so forth are all failures because they never won the Title. With no Title, no claim of success can be made? Get over yourself.

That's not what I said.

but you don't play FIBA style.

And just what is this FIBA style that you're talking about? You mean the flex offense? Guess what, the Spurs run it. They run pick and roll a lot too, which seems to be a favorite of the Euro squads.

Look, Team USA doesn't need the "FIBA style." It needs a team. Not a glorified All-Star squad. It needs role players who can hit threes, run the point, and play defense.

Pops works wonders in the NBA. He's the League's best coach.

Pull yer head out of effin' goat's ass, will ya.

Okay, humor me, how many FIBA championships does your boy D'Antoni have? Nate McMillan? Coach K?

Knock off the dipshit strawman arguments. Yeah, Pop wins in the NBA, well that's more than any of the others can say.

I understand why each was picked.

Yeah, D'Antoni was picked because Colangelo's his fucking boss and he's smart enough to turn Steve Nash and Amare loose. Wow, that's coaching brilliance, let me tell you.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-08-2005, 08:09 PM
BTW, here's my team:

PG: Brevin Knight, Mike Bibby, Chris Paul
SG: AI, Wade, Rip, Morrison
SF: Redd, Lebron, Prince, Artest
PF: Duncan, KG (if he'd play), Howard
C: Amare, Brad Miller

Lots of interchangeable parts at SF and SG, as well as PF and C.

Coaching staff:

HC: Gregg Popovich
Assistant 1: Flip Saunders
Assistant 2: Mike Brown
Assistant 3: Mike Dunleavy

Marhq
12-08-2005, 08:19 PM
Pop not coaching Team USA is very good news for the rest of the world.

Saludos.

xcoriate
12-08-2005, 08:20 PM
Just chucking this out there but the average height your going to come up against will be well lower than yours. So you probably dont need to take traditional Cs or long SFs because the will be quite a few inches taller than there opponent....

JMarkJohns
12-08-2005, 09:02 PM
BTW, here's my team:

PG: Brevin Knight, Mike Bibby, Chris Paul
SG: AI, Wade, Rip, Morrison
SF: Redd, Lebron, Prince, Artest
PF: Duncan, KG (if he'd play), Howard
C: Amare, Brad Miller

Lots of interchangeable parts at SF and SG, as well as PF and C.

Coaching staff:

HC: Gregg Popovich
Assistant 1: Flip Saunders
Assistant 2: Mike Brown
Assistant 3: Mike Dunleavy

I like you team alot. I like Rasheed Wallace over Artest. I know most think they need a lockdown perimeter defender, but they have several very good post defenders and two studs on the perimeter (Hamilton, Prince).

I might find a place for Battier as well. Maybe over Paul or Knight since Iverson and Wade can handle PG duties.

I have no problem with you thinking Pops deserves the spot. I have no problem with you saying D'Antoni is a a so-so coach. I have no problem with you saying that the coaching staff hasn't proven they can win Titles in the NBA. That's all fine, but D'Antoni is a Euro coach and Krzyzewski is a great teacher. They are trying to start a foundation of player who'll commit to a three year plan, learn a system and be a team.

Like I said... 7/9 All-Stars (unselfish, team oriented) with 3/5 solid role players (who aren't detrimental with a serious flaw like Ben Wallace on offense). You need mobile big men with a good jumper and passing skills, wings who can shoot and defend and PG's who can create offense and move without the ball and push tempo.

You team is very good. My team is very good.

Who knows which coach could actually do what with it come Olympic time under FIBA rules...

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-08-2005, 09:37 PM
I might find a place for Battier as well. Maybe over Paul or Knight since Iverson and Wade can handle PG duties.

Sorry, I disagree.

If you were paying attention the last Olympics, we need a true point guard. Not a guy who *can* play point, we need a guy who acts like a point, plays like a point, and thinks like a point.

Brevin Knight is the closest thing Team America has to Steve Nash. He's on a team with marginal talent (to the rest of the league) in Charlotte and rattles off double digit assist nights like they're going out of style.

Same thing for Paul, he's a point first, and he's young and aggressive. Great backup to Knight in that not only could he handle starting if need be, but as a young guy you form a relationship that you can count on him for the Olympics for the next 12-16 years.

Battier, while a nice "player", doesn't have the quicks for the international game.

I threw in Artest, but he's really interchangeable with Bowen. The downside to Bowen is that I don't think he can recover in the short turnaround times required for the international games.

'Sheed isn't necessary - you need a quick perimeter player who is a lock down defender for the typical Olympic Euro who gets hot outside, 'Sheed doesn't fill that role.

ABDENOUR POWER
12-08-2005, 09:47 PM
My team:

Iverson > Billups > Bibby
Kobe > Wade > Redd
LeBron > Marion > Prince
KG > Amare > Sheed
Duncan > J O'Neal > Miller

JMarkJohns
12-08-2005, 09:52 PM
That's fine, but does USA really need three real PG's? With Knight and Bibby, isn't that good enough considering Iverson can play PG?

I think it is. I agree that they need a real PG, just not three...

I'd rather have Rasheed than Battier. Wallace over Paul or Bibby from your team. After that, the only player I don't like is Artest and it's only because of his attitude. I'd take Bowen or perhaps Eddie Jones? Is he still a solid on-ball defender? What about Josh Howard? I like Artest, I just fear his potential disruption.

BTW, I was thinking of Wallace as a center to complement Amare. Open up the lane on offense, but is a better post up defender on defense.

JMarkJohns
12-08-2005, 09:54 PM
My team:

Iverson > Billups > Bibby
Kobe > Wade > Redd
LeBron > Marion > Prince
KG > Amare > Sheed
Duncan > J O'Neal > Miller

Only a roster of 12. You have 15.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-08-2005, 10:46 PM
No Ben Wallace. He doesn't have the offensive skills. Teams would take advantage of that defensively against us.

I don't know how much run Paul would get, it'd be more of a learning experience for him the first time.

JMarkJohns
12-08-2005, 10:48 PM
Not Ben Wallace... Rasheed Wallace.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
12-08-2005, 10:52 PM
It all depends...if you have AI, Kobe or Wade, Garnett and Duncan, then Wallace can perfectly fit there. He wouldn't have to shoot, in fact, his rebounding would be very important with Kobe/Wade and AI there.

Pop not coaching Team USA is very good news for the rest of the world.

Saludos.

I agree.

JMarkJohns
12-08-2005, 10:59 PM
No, no, Ben Wallace doesn't work in the FIBA game. No... There are plenty of quality rebounder and shot blockers (like Brand) who have offensive ablity and a consistant jumper. No need for Wallace. Rasheed is another story... I maintain he's the perfect FIBA center.

strangeweather
12-08-2005, 11:41 PM
Brevin Knight is the closest thing Team America has to Steve Nash. He's on a team with marginal talent (to the rest of the league) in Charlotte and rattles off double digit assist nights like they're going out of style.

Is Knight's J good enough for FIBA ball? Someone like Billups who can space the floor as well as serve as a setup man seems like a better choice.

TheTruth
12-09-2005, 12:45 AM
AI > Bibby > Heinrich
Wade > Rip > Allen
James > Prince
Brand > R. Wallace
Duncan > Amare

Mr. Defense
12-09-2005, 12:46 AM
I wonder if there's any chance at all that Duncan is willing to participate. I seriously doubt it, especially since Pop isn't coaching.

It will be interesting to see which players actually want to make the 3-year commitment.

billups.
ben wallace.
emeka okafur.
ron artest.
bruce bowen.

Defense wins championships. Period.

JMarkJohns
12-09-2005, 01:31 AM
billups.
ben wallace.
emeka okafur.
ron artest.
bruce bowen.

If this is your Olympic team, then they get smoked...

ajh18
12-09-2005, 01:49 AM
Ok, I agree that Pop would be a tremendous coach for team USA, but overall I really like the choice of Coach K. He has much longer to develop gameplans and recruit given the shorter college season (and restrictions on collegiate practice time etc). He also holds a certain degree of authority as a well-respected outside coach who has no biases towards any particular NBA teams or players (outside of perhaps hs ex-dukies). This will be especially beneficial if a number of young players are selected, and coach k, like pop, excels at getting talented players to accept roles in the framework of the team.

I agree in the philosophy of a core of star vetrans, but only ones that are truly coachable and wouldn't make waves. Duncan, Iverson, Garnett. Possibly Kobe (though personally I wouldnt want to be associated with his image), simply because he is really a gifted player and he respects Coach K enough to play within his system. Then role players and young stars, with as little ego as possible, and who are proven winners and team players. Players like Billups and Heinrich are both very coachable, have good outside shots and passing ability, and are winners. Redd and Hamilton at the two provide zone-breaking mid-range and three-point shooting. Maybe add Wade for his penetration ability. If they took Kobe (which I think they will), I would start him at the 3, with Battier off the bench as a defender and to help with offensive/defensive sets. Garnett at the four, and I'd really go after Dwight Howard for his work on the boards and because he seems very humble and coachable. At center, I'd go with Duncan and Brand, who, though a bit undersized, plays against bigger fours in the league every night.

That leaves a lineup of:

PG: Iverson, Billups, Heinrich
SG: Redd, Hamilton, Wade
SF: Bryant, Battier
PF: Garnett, Howard
C: Duncan, Brand

That's a 12 man team with great defense, outside and midrange shooting, tremendous leadership, and team-first pointguard play. It has inside scoring and penetration skills, and all 12 players (except kobe) have proven they can put the team ahead of the individual. The only concern would be inside shot-blocking beside Duncan, where a Marcus Camby might fit better than Brand (It's just a shame given Brand's play this year).

ThugJohnson
12-09-2005, 04:18 AM

you don't know basketball son. step away from the keyboard and read and learn. :tu

smdanss
12-09-2005, 01:35 PM
You only have one true point guard, Bibby, on the team. Bibby's a good choice, but it would be nice to have a second distributor, like Chauncey, Baron Davis, or Cassell.

My suggestions:

PG: Bibby, Billups, Cassell
SG: Redd, Allen, Hamilton
SF: McGrady, James, T-Mac
PF: Garnett, Amare, Odom
C: Duncan, Brad Miller, Dwight Howard

The basic goal is to find PGs who can both distribute and shoot, SGs who are dedicated shooters, perimeter stars at SF that can both drive and shoot, PFs that can space the floor out or grapple for rebounds inside, and pure post players at C.

Not all of these guys are going to want to join the team, and really, it's not necessary to have Kobe, T-Mac, and LeBron on the same team anyway. So you get whatever stars you can get, then fill in with solid role players like Battier who are willing to take a back seat and play their roles.

Do you know McGrady and T-Mac is te same player?

Like the line-ups:
PG - AI, Billups, Davis
SG - Wade, T-Mac, Allen
SF - James, O'Neal, Marion, Bowen
PF - Duncan, KG, Amare
C - Amare, Duncan, Camby

alamo50
12-09-2005, 01:48 PM
Jefferson wants to play in Beijing

BY OHM YOUNGMISUK
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

CLEVELAND - Richard Jefferson and LeBron James have had memorable showdowns in their short time in the NBA together and tonight should be no different.
They've also been teammates on the 2004 USA Olympic team and Jefferson wonders if he and James will be reunited for the 2008 Games in Beijing.

While James would seem to be a must-have for Team USA, Jefferson says he has not yet been contacted by the USA Basketball committee, which reportedly has reached out to a handful of players thus far.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ips_rich_content/622-jefferson_richard.JPG
Richard Jefferson, who played for U.S. in 2004 Olympics, has yet to hear from USA Basketball on '08 Games.

Jefferson said he is willing to make the three-year commitment the committee requires. But sacrificing summers is the least daunting part of the Olympic experience for the small forward.

"I want to be a part of it, but whatever direction they choose to go in...they would have to think about it," said Jefferson, who was also on the undefeated pre-Olympic qualifying team in 2003.

"It is a very high-risk, high-reward thing. Not many things in sports are. If you lose one or two games - high risk - you will be embarrassed by the media. You will be degraded, they will talk bad about you. But the reward is winning a gold medal."

Jefferson still feels slighted by the fact that he, James and the other 2004 Olympians were criticized for not winning gold and not caring enough when so many NBA players declined invitations to go to Athens.

"They had to ask 30-some odd players to come and they found 12 and the 12 were criticized for going," Jefferson said of a group that featured several young stars like Amare Stoudemire and Dwyane Wade.

"If we didn't care, obviously the more popular thing was to say no. But we got criticized for going over there and (had the media) saying we didn't want to play and didn't want to be there."

The Nets have three former Olympians in Jason Kidd, Vince Carter and Jefferson. Kidd, 32, already has won gold at the 2000 Games in Sydney and likely has played in his last Olympics. Carter, 28, said that the birth of his daughter this summer likely will keep him from being able to commit to Team USA, which will be coached by Duke's Mike Krzyzewski.

Jefferson wonders if the basketball committee, headed by managing director Jerry Colangelo, will invite him and some of the 2004 class back.

"They might not," Jefferson said of Team USA, which finished a lowly sixth at the 2002 World Championships.

"They might try and stay away from some of the guys (from that team) and I will be 28 by the time (the Olympics) come around. They might want to go in a younger direction and struggle a little bit in the world championships but build up for the Olympics. You never know.

"The Olympic committee is very smart and intelligent. Ninety-nine percent I would do it and make that commitment if they ask me."

Link (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/373184p-317269c.html)

JMarkJohns
12-09-2005, 03:35 PM
I'm a UofA guy and I want Jefferson no where near Team USA. He's the epitomy of the NBA player that CAN NOT play FIBA style.

JMarkJohns
12-09-2005, 03:36 PM
you don't know basketball son. step away from the keyboard and read and learn. :tu

I'm not talking NBA, moron, I'm talking FIBA where the premium is on offensive know-how, and shooting. Defense would not win in FIBA.

velik_m
12-09-2005, 04:20 PM
I'm not talking NBA, moron, I'm talking FIBA where the premium is on offensive know-how, and shooting. Defense would not win in FIBA.

your wrong... defense is still the key, but it's by fiba rules (smaller court,3pt line closer...), and it's TEAM defense. Can the USA players adapt to FIBA rules AND learn to play like a TEAM fast enough?

many teams play together for years ever since juniors (argentina,spain...) they can get into system quick, USA has to learn the rules and build a team.

i doubt Duncan will play it's a three year commitment

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
12-09-2005, 04:21 PM
I'm a UofA guy and I want Jefferson no where near Team USA. He's the epitomy of the NBA player that CAN NOT play FIBA style.

Agree, he is exactly the kind of player that is worthless in FIBA. Maybe Nocioni could be said to have a similar style, but Nocioni has a lot more of hustle than Jefferson.

donkey hote
12-09-2005, 05:12 PM
From the list of names it looks like Team USA hasn't learned a damn thing. Team USA still appears to be working the dream team mentality, when they need to pick a couple of core stars and then build around those guys with role players.
:tu

AI > Bibby > Heinrich
Wade > Rip > Allen
James > Prince
Brand > R. Wallace
Duncan > Amare

:tu

Now that's a team. If only all of them are willing to play like the internationals.

Slim pickin's at point guard for USA if you're excluding over-the-hill guys (Kidd, Payton). Hinrich is a good choice as a pure pg, but anyone like B-Diddy as a candidate?

donkey hote
12-09-2005, 05:15 PM
billups.
ben wallace.
emeka okafur.
ron artest.
bruce bowen.

That's a pretty good team if we want to start another Palace brawl at the Olympics

FreshPrince22
12-09-2005, 05:26 PM
I bet this team wins it:

PG- Billups
SG- Rip
SF- Prince
PF- Sheed
C- Ben
________
Washington Medical Marijuana Dispensaries (http://washington.dispensaries.org/)

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-09-2005, 06:58 PM
Jefferson wants to play in Beijing

Just say no to Air Gay.

JMarkJohns
12-09-2005, 07:43 PM
Just say no to Air Gay.

Have you seen his girl? Jefferson is not gay. He still belongs nowhere near the Olympic team.

bigzak25
12-10-2005, 03:02 AM
give tj ford an invite. :tu

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Have you seen his girl? Jefferson is not gay.

Gimme a break. Here....

Just say no to Air Bi

Happy?

JMarkJohns
12-10-2005, 12:50 PM
:lmao Different strokes, then...

spursjustice
12-10-2005, 01:56 PM
lol but they should seriously take the starting detroit 5 and then 7 players from san antonio

gold metal guaranteed

well said :lol Now that wasn't that hard to figure out.