PDA

View Full Version : Nazr's future with the Spurs!

Gummi
12-08-2005, 03:32 PM
I've been thinking about Nazr's future with the Spurs and I'm curious what the rest of you think about it.

IMO and if I were the Spurs front office people, I'm going to keep Nazr throughout this season and let him explore free agency next summer. Why? Well IMO there really isn't anything that interesting out there that the Spurs could get in return for him execpt players with long contracts.

Now if the Spurs front office does that, that is let him play out the season with the Spurs, they'll most likely lose him and most likely get nothing in return. Which is kinda fine by me. With the play of Rasho thus far, the Spurs have a center that is more then capable of starting for a top team. We all know that. So Nazr after this season is pretty expandable IMO. We have Horry for another two seasons after this one is over and the same with Oberto. We obviously would have to find a big man somewhere, i.e. the Draft, free-agency, or what I would like the Spurs to do, bring Luis Scola here if possible. Now I don't know excactly Scola's contract structure, but I'm sure that Pop wants him here at some point.

Feel free to post your solution on Nazr's future in San Antonio.

Despot
12-08-2005, 03:39 PM
Draft Picks!!!!!

zeleni
12-08-2005, 03:39 PM
He should get a cheap contract, a payed a lot less then Rasho. Rasho and Nazr should end their contract at the same time. Then they both could have a contract year to battle with soon improved Fabricio. Winner takes it all.... Loser goes searching big money.

sandman
12-08-2005, 03:50 PM
Since we are IMO, Nazr could walk and it would not kill us because quite frankly he has not made himself non-expendable. That does not mean that he is not an asset to this team. That does not mean that he cannot be a contributor. But does it mean that if he walks and we get nothing for him, we are screwed? Not really. I would like the idea of some draft picks for down the road, but losing Nazr is not as critical as some may think. IMO.

I mean, we found a way to win again without 5-0 patrolling the lanes, right? Life after Nazr does not seem as difficult compared to that.

Useruser666
12-08-2005, 03:52 PM
Nazr has turned into injured Rasho.

Gummi
12-08-2005, 03:57 PM
It's pretty obvious that if the Spurs are serious about Scola, some big will have to go. Nazr seems to be the odd man out IMO. Some picks would certainly be fine for him. Nazr is going to demand some money next summer and I'm pretty sure the Spurs won't even offer him a contract. Not that he isn't worth Rasho's money, there is no way the Spurs will carry three bigs with big contract and long once to (Duncan, Rasho, Nazr).

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-08-2005, 04:00 PM
If he keeps playing like he did last night then I think he'll wind up in the Spurs janitorial rotation somewhere in the future.

If he keeps playing like this the Spurs may have a hard time finding any takers if they try to move him around the deadline. Well, at least finding anyone who will give them someone worthwhile for Nazr. And unless Rasho really impresses some people in the coming months the Spurs will probably still have trouble moving his contract. If I were in the Spurs shoes, ride the season and see if you can resign him cheap, especially if he keeps having a shitty year.

The playoffs, especially the Seattle series, showed that he can be a capable center, but I don't know what kind of $$$ GM's are going to offer him if he plays like this for another 4 months.

boutons
12-08-2005, 04:07 PM
Nazr's in a contract year but is getting beat out for starting position and PT by whipping-boy Rasho. That's a fairly damning situation

I think we've seen all that Nazr will ever do for the Spurs.
Good offensive rebounder,
less good defensive rebounder,
not very athletic,
not very much bball IQ,
average FT shooter,
no jump shot,
weak finisher,
weak hands and ball-handling,
not much hustle,
doesn't understand team defense,
doesn't do help defense worth a shit

He's a nice-to-have but not at all a must-have.

I say let him walk, maybe start for a lottery team, maybe get back to the MPG and points he had for Knicks last year.

sandman
12-08-2005, 04:17 PM
I say let him walk, maybe start for a lottery team, maybe get back to the MPG and points he had for Knicks last year.

Considering that Zeke loves undersized big men, it's no wonder that Nazr was starting for them. Wasn't he the only guy on the team taller than 6'5"? :)

Rummpd
12-08-2005, 06:06 PM
The Spurs have someone waiting in the wings who could well be better than either Nazr or Rasho, comments about him from a draft board that rates him as the 3rd best foreign prospect.

3. Robertas Javtokas - Lietuvos Rytas, C, 6-11 (1980)

Was drafted #56 in 2001 by guess who, the San Antonio Spurs. An absolute steal back then, he was on his way to becoming the best defensive center in Europe when his motorcycle accident happened. It was questionable if he would ever walk again, much less play. But today, it's as if it never happened, Javtokas is the best defensive bigman in Europe. He has an NBA body and athleticism, a very good vertical leaper and he uses all these attributes to his advantage, especially on the defensive end. His offense is steadily improving, he's developed a nice hook shot that he's hitting with regularity and is good finisher around the basket. He can be erratic from the FT line and need a more consistentcy on his jumpshot from 15 ft out. He might be a better center than any current center San Antonio has, which considering the group (Mohammed, Oberto, Nesterovic) speaks for itself. The rich have options to become even richer.
http://nbadraft.net/velkavrh001.asp

ChumpDumper
12-08-2005, 06:12 PM
He might be a better center than any current center San Antonio hasThat's a really big "might" since alot of folks said the same thing about Oberto before he even took the floor.

Rummpd
12-08-2005, 06:57 PM
Their comments not mine, but I saw this guy on a recent public health trip to Lithuania = he is the real deal at least physically. Monster physique, almost Kevin Willis like, and was taking up space like no current Spurs center,

exstatic
12-08-2005, 08:23 PM
This year Next year
Rasho 20 minutes Rasho 20 minutes
Nazr 12 minutes Oberto 12 minutes
Oberto 8 minutes Mahinmi 8 minutes

Nazr is gone, NLT 30 June. He wants to be paid, but there is really nothing that he does that Oberto can't do, and in fact Oberto has better hands, better vision, and about double the b-ball IQ. Bring Ian over in the third banana role that Oberto has this year to get him some court time.

BTW, the Spurs big man rotation is kicking ass. The combination of Tim, Rob, Fab (OMG, we have Milli Vanilli on our roster!), Rasho, and Nazr in 93.5 minutes per game, covering the 4 and 5 spots, are averaging 39+ points 26.9 boards and 5 blocks.

Bruno
12-08-2005, 08:51 PM
My POV :
Spurs (as other teams) need 6 bigs :
1) one starting PF
2) one starting C
3) first big from the bench
4) second big of the bench
5) guy for garbage time and foul trouble
6) IL guy (a prospect or a chemistry guy for practice)

This year :
1) Duncan
2) Rasho aka The Beast
3) Horry
4) Nazr
5) Oberto
6) Marks

For salary purpose, Spurs won't keep Nazr and Rasho next year. They will do a trade or let Nazr go this summer.
Mahinmi is very raw and I don't see him be better than the 6th big next year (if he comes).
Scola has his huge buyout.
Javtokas is very solid, has no buyout and want to play in nba next year.
Against Macabi tonight (the best team in europe who beat Raptors guring the preseason), he put 13 pt with only 4 FGA and grad 7 rebounds.

Next year
1) Duncan
2) Rasho or Nazr (I choose Rasho for the moment)
3) Horry
4) Oberto
5) Javtokas or Scola (with some significant minutes if he deserves it)
6) Mahinmi or Marks or another prospect (Scola or Javtokas are too good to be IL guys)

ducks
12-08-2005, 08:56 PM
scola will never be a spur

Pistons < Spurs
12-08-2005, 09:25 PM
I would very seriously look into trading him ASAP. IMO Rasho has not had the opportunity to develop properly. He like any player wanting to get in a groove, needs minutes. He offers so much more versatility than Nazr. Better D, a nice little hook, better passing skills and very soft hands for a big. All I see Nazr doing is taking minutes from Rasho and Oberto. I'd like to see the Spurs get Oberto some quality minutes now so that he can be more productive once the playoffs arrive.

Nazr might be able to equate to a draft pick or two which could be used to acquire new young talent or used as a package to get better proven talent. I acvtually expected he would be traded to Atlanta once their Center died early this pre-season. Maybe Seatle would be interested. I keep hearing about Radmanovic not being happier there. I'd much rather have him than Nazr.

I don't think many people really have enough love nor faith in the quality of player Rasho can be (except for the last week and a half when everyone has been jumping on his nuts). And as long as Nazr bites into his minutes, his true potential may never come to pass.

Dump Nazr, allow the development of Fabri and Rasho.

The only good thing about having Nazr is that he can come in when Rasho gets into foul trouble-------which does tend to happen too often.

TDMVPDPOY
12-08-2005, 10:43 PM
javko will be a good fit for the spurs, he did pretty well at the olympics gaurding td n sum bigz

SenorSpur
12-09-2005, 12:37 AM
How soon we forget? The Spurs went after this guy because they weren't satisfied with the contributions of Rasho in the first place. In the second place, many of you may have forgotten that were it not for Nazr's contributions at the 5 spot, the Spurs may not have been able to "outlast" Detroit in the Finals or even get to the Finals for that matter. Nazr secured a place in the starting lineup because his contributions were steady and consistent.

While Nazr may have awful hands, and he may not be as solid a defender as Rasho, and he may not have the shooting touch from the elbow that Rasho has, but the guy is AGGRESSIVE. He is a "freaking" rebounding machine. He carves out position and goes after loose rebounds. How many times have we witnessed him "swallowing up" offensive rebounds or appearing out of nowhere to tip a loose ball out to the guards.

His presence frees Duncan up to work over the opposition's power forward. There is not another center (subtract TD) on the team that can do what he does on the glass. The Spurs would be foolish to compromise their championship aspirations by getting rid of this guy before seasons end.

Now after the season is over and should he command "crazy bank", I would hope the Spurs do some sort of "sign and trade" with Chicago and land a player like Luol Deng.

Wishing out loud, I know.

sprrs
12-09-2005, 02:24 AM
True but if Fabri ever pans out then the rebounding problem should be solved

Man In Black
12-09-2005, 02:34 AM
While Nazr may have awful hands, and he may not be as solid a defender as Rasho, and he may not have the shooting touch from the elbow that Rasho has

Isn't that kind of bad that you have 3 negatives to 1 positive?

slayermin
12-09-2005, 02:46 AM
To win the title again, we will need both Rasho and Nazr. Unless there is an unbelievable deal on the table (Luol Deng, cough, cough), keep the team intact and let's do this.

ploto
12-09-2005, 09:22 AM
The Spurs did not go after Nazr to replace Rasho but to replace Malik Rose's contract. He will play out that contract and then be gone like the plan was all along. The biggest problem for Nazr is that he will already be 29 and the Spurs will not give an expensive 5 or 6 year contract to a guy that age.

How is Nazr a rebounding machine who swallows up offensive rebounds when he is averagng less than one offensive rebound a game with over 12 minutes per game. How is he more aggressive when his inside shooting % is lower than Rasho's and he gets more of his interior shots blocked. I try to be patient with his understanding of the defense but the problems with how I see him playing this year have nothing to do with understanding or comprehension or missing two weeks of training camp a month and a half ago. He is NOT fighting for rebounds; he is not finishing strong; he is not playing with any hustle. His contributions come from effort not finesse or fundamental skill. I expect to see him busting his butt so he can play more and I just don't see it. Rasho has raised his level of activity, his aggressiveness, his dare-I-say passion, and Nazr has digressed.

boutons
12-09-2005, 09:47 AM
"busting his butt so he can play more"

how about busting his butt in a contract year so he can be paid more?

TwoHandJam
12-09-2005, 09:58 AM
SenorSpur and Slayermin are right. Even though Nazr isn't playing well right now, he will come around and we will need him. In a sense, Nazr is built for the playoffs because he is always aggressive and likes to mix it up in the paint. You need that type of aggressiveness for playoff basketball.

Even though he didn't have the benefit of training camp last year and was often out of position defensively (still is), he was still very valuable to us for his tough offensive rebounding and thuggishness in the paint. It is imperative to have a guy like this against teams like Denver, Seattle and the Pistons who have bruising front lines.

Rasho is a nice, complimenting finesse player to have during the regular season and he'll contribute during the playoffs but he's the type of player who shies away mixing it up when neccessary. Much like Tim, he can be thrown off his game when he gets pushed around. He tends to wilt in pressure situations and can often get bullied when the games get physical.

They both have the plusses and minuses but for this season, I think it would be wise to hang on to both so we don't have to gamble on Oberto adjusting to the NBA this year.

boutons
12-09-2005, 10:18 AM
"he is always aggressive"

NOT on defense, where he's liability. He doesn't take responsibility for stepping up and into the drivers to cut them off. If he even arrives in the plany, he's late, then backpeddles while trying to block shot until he's under the basket. Useless.

He's not a thug in any sense. His fouls are like Rasho's, out of pure clumsiness.

I often see him spectating a shot ball, like a cat watching a bird, instead hustling into position under the basket and blocking out.

This "he's not season player, but a playoff-only guy" is pure bulshit. He doesn't have the career and track record of playoff success to go AWOL all season.

TwoHandJam
12-09-2005, 10:32 AM
"he is always aggressive"

NOT on defense, where he's liability. He doesn't take responsibility for stepping up and into the drivers to cut them off. If he even arrives in the plany, he's late, then backpeddles while trying to block shot until he's under the basket. Useless.

He's not a thug in any sense. His fouls are like Rasho's, out of pure clumsiness.

I often see him spectating a shot ball, like a cat watching a bird, instead hustling into position under the basket and blocking out.

This "he's not season player, but a playoff-only guy" is pure bulshit. He doesn't have the career and track record of playoff success to go AWOL all season.He hasn't "gone AWOL" all season seeing as we've only played 17 games and likely won't since he doesn't have a history of this. If you want to see someone "go AWOL" during a season like say, the "postseason", try looking up Rasho's playoff numbers.

His regular season numbers are fool's gold. This guy does not deliver when it counts and I don't want Oberto being our only backup in the postseason this year. Nazr is no panacea but we've got him on the books for one more year and I say we need him for insurance.

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-09-2005, 10:36 AM
There is some truth to TwoHandJam statement that he might be better suited for the playoffs in terms of physicality than Rasho, but a good center can adjust from one mentality to the other as needed. Right now all I'm seeing from Nazr is him fouling in bunches on both ends of the court.

He did look aggressive on the offensive end of the court against the Heat, but everything he did was butt ugly. He bricked a pair of jumpers (possibly on back to back possessions, I think) and botched a shots in the paint. In the Rasho vs. Nazr debate the one thing that Nazr had going for him was that he finished better in the paint than Rasho and even that's not true any more. If he keeps playing like this the Spurs might be able to get him for peanuts at the end of the year, but right now I think I'd look more at getting Oberto more minutes. Both look lost out on the floor but Oberto has been with the Spurs only half as long as Nazr and is in his first NBA season, so I have to believe that he's legitimately got some room to improve. Nazr should really be looking much better than he is right now.

TwoHandJam
12-09-2005, 10:43 AM
There is some truth to TwoHandJam statement that he might be better suited for the playoffs in terms of physicality than Rasho, but a good center can adjust from one mentality to the other as needed. Right now all I'm seeing from Nazr is him fouling in bunches on both ends of the court.

He did look aggressive on the offensive end of the court against the Heat, but everything he did was butt ugly. He bricked a pair of jumpers (possibly on back to back possessions, I think) and botched a shots in the paint. In the Rasho vs. Nazr debate the one thing that Nazr had going for him was that he finished better in the paint than Rasho and even that's not true any more. If he keeps playing like this the Spurs might be able to get him for peanuts at the end of the year, but right now I think I'd look more at getting Oberto more minutes. Both look lost out on the floor but Oberto has been with the Spurs only half as long as Nazr and is in his first NBA season, so I have to believe that he's legitimately got some room to improve. Nazr should really be looking much better than he is right now.
There's no doubt Nazr is looking horrid right now, not even displaying his usual strengths but I'm confident his game should return. All players have slumps and I dare say Rasho's slumps in the past have been equally bad. I wouldn't be against Oberto seeing some more minutes but he hasn't made a strong case for it so far.

coopdogg3
12-09-2005, 10:47 AM
There's no doubt Nazr is looking horrid right now, not even displaying his usual strengths but I'm confident his game should return. All players have slumps and I dare say Rasho's slumps in the past have been equally bad. I wouldn't be against Oberto seeing some more minutes but he hasn't made a strong case for it so far.

It's kinda funny. With all the talk about how Oberto would be an improvement, how Nazr would improve with more time on the team (both of these points I agreed with BTW) - it turns out that our best center is Rash. Funny ol world, isn't it?

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-09-2005, 10:51 AM

You're probably right about Rasho, which is why I think I'd prefer the Spurs to hold onto Nazr til the end of the season instead of trading at the deadline, barring some crazy ass deal where they can get someone like Luol Deng. I'll give you that Oberto isn't making a strong case for a lot of minutes, but right now neither is Nazr. I would play Oberto more since 1) he's probably going to be here longer than Nazr will and 2) he has less time with the Spurs than Nazr, and a lot less time in the NBA, so I'm thinking that what problems he has are more likely due to lack of experience than Nazr's are. Of course, I'm not in practice with the Spurs. The coaches could be seeing all sorts of signs that Oberto is worthless. Time will tell.

wildbill2u
12-09-2005, 01:02 PM

1. Scola is not a center and therefore is not the answer to either replacing Slovakenstein or as a center backup with a future.

2. Nazr is gone no matter what happens on the court this year. If he plays extremely well, his contract as a FA will be far more than the Spurs should or could pay. If he plays bad--or mediocre--why keep him and sign him to a higher paying contract?

3. The likelihood that we could sign him and trade him is laughable. Why would anyone try to make a deal on a soon to be free agent--and why would Nazr sign such a deal as a soon to be FA?

3. Let's hope he comes out of his funk and plays well this season and enjoy having two good centers.

Brodels
12-09-2005, 01:22 PM
1. Scola is not a center and therefore is not the answer to either replacing Slovakenstein or as a center backup with a future.

2. Nazr is gone no matter what happens on the court this year. If he plays extremely well, his contract as a FA will be far more than the Spurs should or could pay. If he plays bad--or mediocre--why keep him and sign him to a higher paying contract?

3. The likelihood that we could sign him and trade him is laughable. Why would anyone try to make a deal on a soon to be free agent--and why would Nazr sign such a deal as a soon to be FA?

3. Let's hope he comes out of his funk and plays well this season and enjoy having two good centers.

There are obviously two ways of looking at this:

- The Spurs might need contributions from Nazr to win another title, especially if Rasho gets hurt or struggles. And it can happen this season because it happened last year. Having Oberto or Horry starting is not an ideal situation, and if Nazr left and Rasho got hurt, there wouldn't be much frontcourt depth at all. The Spurs are about winning now, and if Nazr can help them do that this season, the Spurs should keep him and let him walk this summer.

- Nazr could be an attractive, valuable commodity to some teams. Teams seeking an expiring contract (not that the Spurs would be likely to take on long-term salary in return) and a serviceable big man could show some interest. The Spurs are pretty old at the swing positions, and if a team offered a solid, young three who could replace Bowen down the road, why not make a move?

I think the best solution would be for the Spurs to listen to offers but not hurry to trade him. If the right kind of player is offered (a player that the team couldn't refuse), pull the trigger. Otherwise, plan on keeping Nazr because it's likely that he's going to contribute at some point.

That's true, but soon-to-be free agents like Nazr at the most attractive kind of players in trades because they have expiring contracts. That doesn't apply here as much as it does in other cases because the Spurs are unlikely to take back long-term salary, but it makes Nazr potentially attractive.

ploto
12-09-2005, 06:42 PM
look at the money j-james got for having one good series against the kings and one good game against us in playoffs.

he will get his money

elsewhere

SouthernFried
12-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Rasho and Nazr are the two most frustrating guys to watch on the court.

Rasho moves like Mark Eaton...in slow motion.

Nazr..geesh. I've never seen a big guy do so many pump fakes in my life. 6'2" guards are blocking his shot. And how do you get in the NBA with hands like those?

Still, there are pluses. Rasho has good court awareness and game IQ. He can hit a shot. Nazr is a big body, and when he uses it right...it can be effective.

And they both have experience with the Spurs system. And seeing as it always takes people a long time to get comfortable with it...thats a big plus.

Man, if we had a Ben Wallace, or even David back...or, as much as I hate the guy, Alonzo Mourning... the league would tremble. Center is definetly our weak point...but, we seem to be doing alright with it.

No changes this year...next year's a different game.

ChumpDumper
12-09-2005, 08:19 PM
3. The likelihood that we could sign him and trade him is laughable. Why would anyone try to make a deal on a soon to be free agent--and why would Nazr sign such a deal as a soon to be FA?I assume you are talking about this summer as that is the only time a sign-and-trade could happen. Players and agents love sign-and-trades because it can mean higher yearly raises for them. GMs can find them a nice way of getting something in return for a player who would otherwise walk.

KEVIN78250
12-09-2005, 10:32 PM
Send Nazr To Chicago And Make An Attempt To Get Deng. Send Nazr, Scola, Draft Picks Something To Get This Kid. Chicago Needs A Big Man And We Need Someone To Fill Behind Bowen. An Athletic Wing Who Could Pull Down Some Boards Would Not Hurt To Have On Our Team.

SenorSpur
12-09-2005, 11:49 PM
Send Nazr To Chicago And Make An Attempt To Get Deng. Send Nazr, Scola, Draft Picks Something To Get This Kid. Chicago Needs A Big Man And We Need Someone To Fill Behind Bowen. An Athletic Wing Who Could Pull Down Some Boards Would Not Hurt To Have On Our Team.

Acquring Deng would be the only way I would pull the trigger - but at the end of the season. Let's not tinker with championship components. After all, Detroit may be coming again.

prerok
12-10-2005, 03:40 AM
get Erazem Lorbek

another slovenian and the best young euro player
kid has potential

he's not only good rebounder, good hustler, he can also hit 3p
and that's a lot for a guy who can play on positions 4-5

bigzak25
12-10-2005, 03:44 AM
I've been thinking about Nazr's future with the Spurs and I'm curious what the rest of you think about it.

IMO and if I were the Spurs front office people, I'm going to keep Nazr throughout this season and let him explore free agency next summer. Why? Well IMO there really isn't anything that interesting out there that the Spurs could get in return for him execpt players with long contracts.

Now if the Spurs front office does that, that is let him play out the season with the Spurs, they'll most likely lose him and most likely get nothing in return. Which
is kinda fine by me. With the play of Rasho thus far, the Spurs have a center that is more then capable of starting for a top team. We all know that. So Nazr after this season is pretty expandable IMO. We have Horry for another two seasons after this one is over and the same with Oberto. We obviously would have to find a big man somewhere, i.e. the Draft, free-agency, or what I would like the Spurs to do, bring Luis Scola here if possible. Now I don't know excactly Scola's contract structure, but I'm sure that Pop wants him here at some point.

i will NOT POST FOR A YEAR if Pop trades Nazr before Rasho. :lmao

You stat worshippers are amazing...:lol

Trade the Rash, Re-sign Nazr. Period. :tu

Slo spurs fan
12-10-2005, 03:55 AM
get Erazem Lorbek

another slovenian and the best young euro player
kid has potential

he's not only good rebounder, good hustler, he can also hit 3p
and that's a lot for a guy who can play on positions 4-5
Already drafted!

Slo spurs fan
12-10-2005, 03:56 AM
i will NOT POST FOR A YEAR if Pop trades Nazr before Rasho. :lmao

You stat worshippers are amazing...:lol

Trade the Rash, Re-sign Nazr. Period. :tu

It will be boring not having bigzak on the board for whole year :depressed

bigzak25
12-10-2005, 04:04 AM
It will be boring not having bigzak on the board for whole year :depressed

that's sweet of you man. i'm just joking though.

i got love for rasho. but regular season means shit man.

If/when Pop starts him in the playoffs and our Spurs win a championship?

THEN, i'll have his back.

I support him as a Spur. But i don't believe he is the future. He is an adequate stop gap. And i'm sorry to Rasho if he reads this. No offense man. Just SAC up and all will be well. Dunk that shit Rasho, your 7 fucking feet. And the only outside shot i want you taking is 10 footers in FRONT of the basket.

I still think Rasho is gone before march. We shall see.

Kori Ellis
12-10-2005, 04:10 AM
Right now, Rasho is a much better player all around for the Spurs than Nazr. Nazr still doesn't rotate on defense and he mostly gets in the way on offense. He gets some rebounds and he occupies space but that's about it.

Even if he cuts down on pumpfaking and some how gets rid of his hands of stone, he needs to find his way defensively. He's taking baby steps in that direction, but he's no where close to the defensive player that Rasho is and their offense output is similar.

In key minutes in the postseason, it's Duncan and Horry upfront. So it doesn't really matter.

bigzak25
12-10-2005, 04:27 AM
Oh but it does matter. That's why i believe rasho must be moved. The Spurs need more help up front.

I have a hard time believing that Naz learns the D last year in time to shine in the postseason and then magically forgets it in the offseason.

I believe in Pop. He knows this is a pivotal (no pun) moment for the Spurs regarding the bigmen that are gonna be in the trenches with Tim Duncan for the next few years.

Rasho's half inch vertical and zero respect from the referees just isn't gonna get the job done. And the funny part is we all know this. We all saw it first hand the last 2 years. Same with Tony Parker. He can put up all the points he wants now. In June? He's back to being very speedy but very average. And while our Spurs may be the top team in the league at This present moment? All it takes is a trade or two to catapult an also ran into the next champion. See detroit, two years ago.

Kori Ellis
12-10-2005, 04:28 AM
I have a hard time believing that Naz learns the D last year in time to shine in the postseason and then magically forgets it in the offseason.

He didn't. He didn't know the defense last year in the postseason. He was just winging it and not doing that well. But he played well offensively and was hungry on the boards. He didn't know the defense then and he doesn't now.

bigzak25
12-10-2005, 04:33 AM
well that speaks volumes about last years playoffs. Cuz a nazr that hustled that didn't/doesn't know the defense was still better than a Rasho in his 2nd year in the system. wow.

Kori Ellis
12-10-2005, 04:37 AM
well that speaks volumes about last years playoffs. Cuz a nazr that hustled that didn't/doesn't know the defense was still better than a Rasho in his 2nd year in the system. wow.

What playoffs were you watching?

Nazr's defense was pitiful compared to Rasho's. Team easily got/get into the paint on Nazr because he doesn't help or rotate. He's slowly coming along but the interior defense is much much better with Rasho on the floor than Nazr.

bigzak25
12-10-2005, 04:39 AM
C'mon K. The Spurs don't win shit last year without Nazr.

Hell, the Denver series would have gone 6 or 7...and that's cuz Najera was out.

Kori Ellis
12-10-2005, 04:43 AM
You do realize that Nazr's averages were the same in the playoffs as Rasho's were in the regular season.

They are pretty much interchangeable in regards to offensive output.

bigzak25
12-10-2005, 04:45 AM
all i know is Naz can dunk the damn ball and his vertical is over 1 inch. :tu

i like Nazr's foot speed just a tad bit more than Rasho's too. I mean, i'm sure Rash could beat Frankenstein in an all out sprint, but i think it would be close, that's all i'm sayin...:lol

bigzak25
12-10-2005, 04:46 AM
and what are Nazr's Playoff avg's compared to Rasho's Playoff avg's? I don't know. I'm asking with all sincerity. :tu

Kori Ellis
12-10-2005, 04:47 AM
I'm taking my sick self to bed now, so don't expect me to respond to your next post. :lol

People glamourize Nazr because of one or two good games in the postseason.

Bottomline is that neither Rasho or Nazr are that good offensively and Rasho is better on D.

And when it comes down to it, it's all about

http://www.mysanantonio.com/multimedia/slideshows/show_618/spurs_game5_15.jpg

anyway.

Kori Ellis
12-10-2005, 04:48 AM
and what are Nazr's Playoff avg's compared to Rasho's Playoff avg's? I don't know. I'm asking with all sincerity. :tu

Umm.... Rasho barely played in the playoffs, he was coming off injury and not in the playoff rotation.

If you compare Rasho's regular season numbers and Nazr's postseason numbers, they are super similar and about the same minutes. That's why it's a fair comparison.

Good night.

bigzak25
12-10-2005, 04:49 AM
fair enough K. but Horry won't be around forever. Naz is young and learning. As long as he doesn't price himself out of a Spurs uni. And unless a bigman upgrade is out there for the taking? I'm betting Naz is pop's choice. But i've been wrong before and will be again. :tu

bigzak25
12-10-2005, 04:50 AM
Umm.... Rasho barely played in the playoffs, he was coming off injury and not in the playoff rotation.

If you compare Rasho's regular season numbers and Nazr's postseason numbers, they are super similar and about the same minutes. That's why it's a fair comparison.

Good night.

Get well! Godbless. :tu

Slo spurs fan
12-10-2005, 12:11 PM
fair enough K. but Horry won't be around forever. Naz is young and learning. As long as he doesn't price himself out of a Spurs uni. And unless a bigman upgrade is out there for the taking? I'm betting Naz is pop's choice. But i've been wrong before and will be again. :tu

Hell yeah!!! He is 1 (one) whole fucking year younger than Rasho!!! :rolleyes

ploto
12-10-2005, 12:16 PM
Hell yeah!!! He is 1 (one) whole fucking year younger than Rasho!!! :rolleyes
And Nazr has one MORE year in the NBA.

Check out the spurs.com quotes from last night.

Spurs Head Coach Gregg Popovich

On the game - “It was a good win. We played pretty good defense throughout the game. A lot of people participated which is good, especially when you have a back-to-back. We had good team play.”

On Rasho Nesterovic - “Rasho was fantastic. He has played wonderfully for the last month. He’s getting the job done on the court. Tim is enjoying playing with him. They are working well together.”

boutons
12-10-2005, 12:26 PM
"Naz is young"

BS, he's 29, been in the NBA 7 years, 7,600 min PT

".. and learning"

BS, he's not. His BB IQ is very low. He's as lost as Oberto, who is not young, but only has 1 month and 130 min NBA PT.

Brodels
12-10-2005, 12:27 PM

If Nazr is Pop's choice, why isn't he playing more minutes?

Brodels
12-10-2005, 12:30 PM
"Naz is young"

BS, he's 29, been in the NBA 7 years, 7,600 min PT

".. and learning"

BS, he's not. His BB IQ is very low. He's as lost as Oberto, who is not young, but only has 1 moonth and 130 min NBA PT.

I don't know that his basketball IQ is very low. It might not be on the same level as some others on the team, but I think "very low" is a stretch.

He does some things well. He knows how to get offensive boards. He's a pretty good rebounder, and that takes some basketball instinct. He's not as hideous in the post as some would like you to believe.

Rasho's certainly playing better, but I don't think this needs to turn into a "one rules the other one sucks" kind of competition. Rasho is a better defender, but Nazr is more aggressive around the rim. Both bring things to the table, and although Rasho is playing better right now and might ultimately be the better player, the differences between the two aren't large.

boutons
12-10-2005, 01:49 PM
Nazr's IQ is low when he still doesn't have a clue on:
assuming responsibility for rotating,
anticipating a drive by an opponent,
anticipating and blocking out lanes for our drivers,
and generally defending the Spurs paint.

He finishes poorly, all that famous pump faking and getting blocked, hasn't figured out how to catch the ball, has no jump shot, and he fucking spectates shots instead of heading for rebounding position and blocking out. Those are lacking individual fundamentals after 7 years in the NBA, has nothing do with missing Spurs camp.

howard2
12-10-2005, 05:50 PM
Does anyone know how old Robertas Javtokas is?
And, what are his current playing stats?

Bruno
12-10-2005, 06:13 PM
Does anyone know how old Robertas Javtokas is?
And, what are his current playing stats?

For his stats :
euroleague :
http://www.euroleague.net/plantillas/jugador.jsp?id=BVE

BBL (Domestic Lithuanian league) :
http://bc.lrytas.lt/en/disp.php/en_stats/en_games_stats

smdanss
12-10-2005, 06:29 PM
I'm taking my sick self to bed now, so don't expect me to respond to your next post. :lol

People glamourize Nazr because of one or two good games in the postseason.

Bottomline is that neither Rasho or Nazr are that good offensively and Rasho is better on D.

And when it comes down to it, it's all about

http://www.mysanantonio.com/multimedia/slideshows/show_618/spurs_game5_15.jpg

anyway.

HOPE YOU WILL GET BETTER SOON.
With all best wishes.