PDA

View Full Version : Oberto

2centsworth
12-08-2005, 03:59 PM
Can this guy play in the NBA? He looked totally out of place against Miami.

Pops not playing him for a reason. What does the guy bring to the table that the spurs need?

sa_butta
12-08-2005, 04:06 PM
Of course he is going to look out of place, he hasnt had too much PT. I think he has alot of potential, but I also think he feels out of place learning a new system and style of play in the NBA. I say give him a chance to show what he can do. This is only his first season here.

ChumpDumper
12-08-2005, 04:12 PM
If other posters are correct, he'll be starting in about two weeks.

ducks
12-08-2005, 04:14 PM
he will be ok next year as a backup big man

boutons
12-08-2005, 04:15 PM
8 MPG mostly garbage through 18 games. Not much time to learn anything, to re-gain the confidence he certainly had on the AR and Spanish pro teams.

He still has a lot of adjusting to do, lotsa learning to do, to see what he can do in NBA, what the NBA does to him.

He's very tentative and unsure of himself. Way too early to write him off.

He's also 5th big behind Tim, Rasho, Robert, and Nazr in competing for the 96 frontcourt minutes, so even in blowouts he's not going to see much time.

ZStomp
12-08-2005, 04:16 PM
Go look up some of the threads just before the season......and around when the season started.....HE WAS SUPPOSE TO BE THE ONE. :lmao

boutons
12-08-2005, 04:23 PM
"SUPPOSE TO BE THE ONE"

Look up threads for EVERY new Spur. A lot of us get infatuated with nearly every new Spur, wanting them to make an impact.

ZStomp
12-08-2005, 04:54 PM
I don't.

ChumpDumper
12-08-2005, 05:09 PM
I liked Sharrod Ford.... :(

GoSpurs21
12-08-2005, 05:18 PM
I liked Sharrod Ford.... :(TiMVP and Marcus Bryant thought he was the second coming...at least that's the way they acted towards Holt as if Holt had anything to do with releasing him.

I also liked Ford but understood Pop's decision to let Ford go where he would get more playing time to polish his game. Kinda wished that the Spurs would have put him on the Austin minor league team.

strangeweather
12-08-2005, 05:19 PM
Way too early to write him off.

Amen to that. It's silly to pronounce someone an impact player before he even gets here, and it's silly to write a guy off less that a quarter of the way through the season.

If he gets left off the playoff roster in favor of Kiwi, then I think it's safe to call him a bust, but there's still a lot of games between now and then.

SuperManu!!!
12-08-2005, 05:54 PM
I would also like to see more of beno udrih....Pop should give them at least 10 minutes per game

wildbill2u
12-08-2005, 05:55 PM
Can this guy play in the NBA? He looked totally out of place against Miami.

Pops not playing him for a reason. What does the guy bring to the table that the spurs need?

On the Pop Show the other day, Pop said they had observed him for a long time and felt he would be able to play a role much like Dennis Rodman, rebounding and playing defense and also providing some good ball movement with his passing.

Right now, with all the other new players, he is finding it hard to find time for Oberto on the court, but thinks he will be contributing by the playoffs.

Solid D
12-08-2005, 06:05 PM
Oberto is experienced depth. He's not as long as Rasho or Nazr, but he's a guy who knows how to play. It was obvious to me watching him last night that he CAN help, especially in injury or foul trouble situations. When the Heat threw the zone up, the Spurs ran their zone offense and Fabricio knew just what to do. He moved to the baseline seam, got the ball, and then made eye contact with Rasho who cut and caught for the easy bucket.

He's just not getting enough time to have a good rhythm or level of confidence. No offense to our mates from Oceana but he's a better, over-all basketball player than Sean Marks. The Spurs are just real deep in the pivot.

Kori Ellis
12-08-2005, 06:41 PM
TiMVP and Marcus Bryant thought he was the second coming...at least that's the way they acted towards Holt as if Holt had anything to do with releasing him.

No. They both thought Oberto would eventually start because he's cheap. That's not exactly thinking he's the second coming.

GOODfellas
12-08-2005, 06:50 PM
I am not saying he is in the same class as Manu, but did Manu have an immediate impact? I say Pop is bringing him around just right. Give Oberto time, he will develop. With the depth (best in NBA) the Spurs have, they can afford to be patient with him.

timvp
12-08-2005, 06:56 PM
No. They both thought he'd eventually start because he's cheap. That's not exactly thinking he's the second coming.

Ford as a starter? I've gone out on limbs before but that would have been a damn long one.

:smokin

Kori Ellis
12-08-2005, 06:58 PM
I thought he was talking about you and Marcus Bryant liking Oberto.

My apologies. No one thought Ford would ever start.

timvp
12-08-2005, 06:59 PM
Oberto isn't as good as I thought he was. Perhaps I fell into the hype thinking that you could take anyone from Argentina and they'd do well in the NBA.

So far, he's been so bad that Pop has been forced to start Rasho.

Nazr, as I predicted, has gotten random, inconsistent Malik Rose type minutes.

2centsworth
12-08-2005, 07:03 PM
Tell you what, Rasho has played better than I have ever seen him play. That alone keeps Oberto on the bench more. Rasho is actually good this year.

spurschick
12-08-2005, 08:18 PM
I think that Oberto has shown some flashes here and there, but I think he's having a harder time learning the system and, as mentioned, there aren't enough playing minutes for him so far. I will go out on a limb though and say that I would rather see him taking some of Nazr's minutes right now to see what he could make out of them. Nazr just hasn't done much to impress me so far and I would like to test Oberto out now rather than later.

Trainwreck2100
12-08-2005, 08:33 PM
I warned you and you scoffed at me, anyone who gets thhe ball deflected by EARL FFUCKING BOYKINS!!!!!!! In his debut has no chance in the NBA.

jman3000
12-08-2005, 10:21 PM
I'm thinking that Oberto played his way out of minutes. At the start of the season I believe he was getting decent minutes, but his defensive liabilities were too much for Pop. If you look at the minutes he has played game by game, the only significant minutes he has had outside of the first 2 games have been garbage time during blow outs.

spurschick
12-08-2005, 10:30 PM
6 fouls, 2 technicals and a flagrant to give.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
12-08-2005, 10:30 PM
Give him time, by the start of the playoffs he will be playing 12 mpg, at least. If Nazr keeps his current form, Oberto will slowly start taking his minutes when he fits into the system better.

sa_butta
12-10-2005, 10:49 AM
Finally saw some time last night and looked a little better out there. Got to give him props on the put back dunk that was sweet. Maybe with some more PT he will come around.

ZStomp
12-10-2005, 12:52 PM
He looked lost on defense still....I hope he improves....