PDA

View Full Version : Judge frees 2 suspects and blasts terror case

Joe Chalupa
08-25-2004, 04:28 PM
Judge frees 2 suspects and blasts terror case (http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2004/08/25/judge_frees_2_suspects_and_blasts_terror_case/)

Prosecutors concede a translation error
By Ellen Wulfhorst, Reuters | August 25, 2004

ALBANY, N.Y. -- Two Islamic men accused of supporting terrorism after their arrest in an FBI sting operation were ordered released from jail yesterday by a judge who blasted the government's case by saying there is no evidence they have any links to terrorists.

US Magistrate David Homer ruled Yassin Aref and Mohammed Hossain should be released on $250,000 bond each and held in home detention under electronic surveillance while they await trial. He said that could take up to two years, so the men will be allowed to work and attend mosque until the trial.

The pair had been ordered held without bail earlier this month -- a ruling largely based on an address book that prosecutors said was found in an Iraqi terrorist training camp. The book referred to Aref as ''the commander" in Arabic.

The government now says that translation was an error and the word is ''brother" in Kurdish.

Aref, 34, the leader of an Albany mosque, and Hossain, 49, a pizzeria owner, were arrested in a sting operation in which authorities said they agreed to help an FBI informant launder $50,000 from the sale of a shoulder-fired missile as part of a fake plan to assassinate a Pakistani diplomat.

They pleaded not guilty to charges of money laundering, supporting terrorism, and conspiracy on Aug. 10.

The judge chided the government, saying the case is much weaker now than it first appeared. He said the two were not plotting violence and are not a danger to the community. ''The evidence in this case appears less strong today," Homer said. ''There is no evidence . . . to support the claim that Mr. Aref has any contact with any terrorist organization."

Defense attorney Terence Kindlon said the government was not merely overzealous but had presented false information.

''We've gone from something that sounded sinister and ominous and scary and terrible to zero in less than two weeks," he told the judge.

Prosecutors argued that whether the word was ''commander" or ''brother" was irrelevant and does not affect the criminal charges the two men face. They say the pair were willing participants in the sting operation set up by the FBI.

Under terms of their release, which is likely in one to two days, neither man may leave the area without permission.

NO, I'm not gloating and a terrorist sympathizer. Just posting how over zealous the government can be.

Yonivore
08-25-2004, 04:36 PM
What part of, "...they agreed to help an FBI informant launder $50,000 from the sale of a shoulder-fired missile...," don't you and the judge understand?

Joe Chalupa
08-25-2004, 04:51 PM
From what I've heard, the FBI informant was literally begging him to take the 50K.
But I wasn't in the court room so I don't know but apparently it was enough for the judge to say that said the entire case appears to hinge on a fictitious terrorist plot proffered by an undercover informant.

Yonivore
08-25-2004, 04:57 PM
...where'd you hear that, Joe?

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-25-2004, 05:11 PM
From what I've heard, the FBI informant was literally begging him to take the 50K.

Well, he still took it to help get a stinger with the stated intent to shoot down a plane, right?

Silly me, I know if some guy came up to my door and said he heard I could get him a stinger, I'd sure as hell take the money and agree to help shoot down a plane.

All of us would do the same thing, right?

:shootme

Yonivore
08-25-2004, 05:16 PM
You know I would. :rolleyes

Joe Chalupa
08-25-2004, 05:50 PM
Woulda, coulda, shoulda is not the issue.

I heard it on the Brad Messer show.

Now, I'm not saying he is innocent, just that an over zealous prosecutor and government may have fucked this up.

Yonivore
08-25-2004, 06:00 PM
"I heard it on the Brad Messer show"
Then it must be true!

Uh, Who's Brad Messer?

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-25-2004, 06:03 PM
Joe,

He agreed to set up a stinger missile sale with the expressed intent of shooting down an airliner.

For the love of God, what the hell does it take? It's not like the guy was planning a free speech rally, he was going to help someone shoot down an airliner!

What, pray tell, is innocent about that?

bigzak25
08-25-2004, 06:10 PM
libs want a shot down airliner before they will react...

Joe Chalupa
08-25-2004, 06:11 PM
Oh, I see, unless it's on Rush Lipbalm or the Sean insHannity show it can't be true? :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-25-2004, 06:25 PM
Who said it can't be true?

The guy took 50K to get a missile to shoot down an airliner.

WTF does it take, a video tape confession in the presence of a public notary?

This is so stupid. One day maybe some people will get a clue... when one gets shot down.

Joe Chalupa
08-25-2004, 06:32 PM
libs want a shot down airliner before they will react...
Sorry, BigZak, but that's bullshit.

That is the last thing in the world that I want.

Yonivore
08-25-2004, 06:34 PM
"Oh, I see, unless it's on Rush Lipbalm or the Sean insHannity show it can't be true?"
I was actually hoping for a reputable news source or court testimony to support what you "heard." And, no, Rush and Sean don't make it any more credible than this guy you heard.

BTW, I don't listen to Rush and I don't watch or listen to Hannity...and, I doubt you've ever seen me quote them in here.

Joe Chalupa
08-25-2004, 06:37 PM
Good for you. I thought for sure you'd be a listener of their shows since you are a staunch conservative....allegedly.

Yonivore
08-25-2004, 06:38 PM
I'm actually a Libertarian that is a staunch support of George W. Bush.

Joe Chalupa
08-25-2004, 06:41 PM
So you will be voting for the liberarian candidate?

Yonivore
08-25-2004, 06:42 PM
Nope.

The Libertarians are soft on terrorism this go 'round.

Joe Chalupa
08-25-2004, 06:44 PM
So the only issue you are looking at is the fight against terrorism?
You agree with a amendment banning gay marriage?
You agree with Bush's environmental policies?
You agree with the highest government spending spree in history?

Yonivore
08-25-2004, 07:21 PM
It is the most important issue to face this nation in a century.

Joe Chalupa
08-25-2004, 07:27 PM
And it is working just like Bush wants it to.

bigzak25
08-26-2004, 05:11 PM
Quote:libs want a shot down airliner before they will react...

I'm not saying you want a shot down airliner Joe, I'm saying that's what it takes for Libs to support going on the offensive.

SpursWoman
08-26-2004, 05:53 PM
And it is working just like Bush wants it to.

Please. Elaborate on that.

Joe Chalupa
08-26-2004, 06:31 PM
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:libs want a shot down airliner before they will react...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not saying you want a shot down airliner Joe, I'm saying that's what it takes for Libs to support going on the offensive.

I'm just not into pre-emptive strikes by the USA unless necessary. I understand that we must fight terrorism but the argument the Bush administration gave for attacking Iraq has been shaky. To me anyway.

I know many liberals who feel the same way.

SpursWoman
08-26-2004, 06:36 PM
argument the Bush administration gave for attacking Iraq has been shaky

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know off hand what the exact vote tally was of Republican & Democrat congressmen/women that supported that shaky argument?

Joe Chalupa
08-26-2004, 07:30 PM
I think it was a majority all around.
And yeah, I would have voted for it too because at that point, as a politician in these times, a vote against it would be a vote for your defeat in the next election and for most politicians that is the bottom line.
To do what you have to do to get re-elected.
Why do you think this presidential campaign is getting nasty?
Do you really think Bush is going to have a news conference and say, "Well, perhaps I did rush us into war and the intelligence we had was not the best."?

Of course not, because I, as do most Americans, do feel that Iraq is better, and the world for that matter, with out Saddam.

But I'm still leary of the USA setting a precedence for pre-emptive strikes because if you ask me, I think other countries could use that as a reason to launch a pre-emptive strike against the USA since we do have WMD.

That's just my 2 centavos.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-26-2004, 07:46 PM
You sound like Michael Moore.

The CIA, MI:6, and Russian Intel all had the same data on Iraq.

That's over half the permanent UN Security Council right there.

Shaky? Only in the revisionist liberal history.

Joe Chalupa
08-27-2004, 01:52 PM
Only in the revisionist liberal history.

Umm...okay.

MadeFromDust
08-31-2004, 05:07 AM
Keep the treasonist left-wing courts out of the process of combating terrorism. You just can't trust them.

From Way Downtown
08-31-2004, 12:36 PM
Keep the treasonist left-wing courts out of the process of combating terrorism. You just can't trust them.

Yes, let's be certain to ignore our fundamental commitment to civil rights and the basic "innocent until proven guilty" priniciple that our justice system is founded upon. What a wonderful idea. :rolleyes

If these people have done wrong, they will be convicted. But our suspicion does not equal criminal wrongdoing. I certainly don't wish to see terrorists succeed, but I still firmly believe that the government should be made to prove the guilt of those it accuses, and that it shouldn't be given a free pass to avoid that requirement simply by labelling an individual as a suspected terrorist.