PDA

View Full Version : Stern: NBA may turn off canned music

alamo50
12-09-2005, 06:08 AM
December 9, 2005
Bloomberg News Service

Crowd noise may soon be the only sound at some NBA games.
Commissioner David Stern, responding to a question posed during an ESPN online chat, said he's no fan of teams blaring music or sound effects while the game is being played.

"We're trying to find a few games to experiment with for teams to give us a 'silent night' so to speak," Stern wrote to the questioner, identified only as JC from Boston.
Stern declined to elaborate on the noise-free plan, saying in an e-mail after the chat that he isn't ready to "give up the details yet."
During the chat, conducted Thursday, the questioner wrote, "If home fans can't get pumped up and make noise on their own, then there is something really wrong with your league. The game should be the entertainment and able to stand up alone without canned music."
Stern responded, "I agree with you. Unfortunately, most of our teams don't and think that the fans like the entertainment."
Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said his team has tried it both ways, and that fans enjoy the noise.
"Customers come to have fun. We make sure that is what they get," Cuban said in an e-mail. "We don't sell basketball. We sell sore throats and big smiles on the faces of parents when their kids have a great time at the games."

Copyright 2005 IndyStar.com. All rights reserved

Link (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051209/SPORTS0403/512090487/1004/SPORTS)

Cuban is a retard.

samikeyp
12-09-2005, 07:34 AM
Stern is really trying to make things boring.

boutons
12-09-2005, 07:39 AM
A lot of people are annoyed by some to the tunes.

A lot of the tunes are used by a lot of different arenas.

There's something Pavlovian about "fans respond when bell is rung". :)

It's much easier to play with/without music than it is to play games will real interest such that the game situation and players' "energy" elicits fan interest and response.

ALVAREZ6
12-09-2005, 09:54 AM
Fuck Stern.

Marklar MM
12-09-2005, 10:49 AM
That is the only reason I go to games...to listen to music. :) Just kidding. But it would be rather boring if there was no music. You wouldn't get the girls doing there rump shaking and all that stuff if there was no music...and what happens when you do the "Love" thing when you put two people on the jumbotron and they kiss, and at the very end, you bust out and put 2 players on the opposing team up there. No music makes that boring.

alamo50
12-09-2005, 11:29 AM
I think this is about the music during the games.

Marklar MM
12-09-2005, 11:36 AM
I think this is about the music during the games.

Oh...I don't think the Pistons play music during the game.

tekdragon
12-09-2005, 11:37 AM
Go see a game at MSG. You'll change your opinion about all the bullshit teams try to add as "entertainment". Ain't nothin' but basketball happening at the Mecca. And it's perfect.

TDMVPDPOY
12-09-2005, 12:36 PM
ole ole ole?? too bad bball doesnt have a anthem like that

alamo50
12-09-2005, 12:55 PM
I've heard "In the Club" many times while watching a NBA game on tv during play.

sa_butta
12-09-2005, 03:54 PM
Stern is really trying to make things boring.How bout no more colors for uniforms, black and white only. And lets start regulating what the fans can wear to the games too. Get the fuck outta here, the music during play just keeps the fans involved.

Phenomanul
12-09-2005, 04:37 PM
And then there are the "triumphant tense filled" tunes like "Training Montage" from Rocky IV or "Duel of the Fates" from Star Wars....

Songs like those add drama to the experience....

Vashner
12-09-2005, 04:59 PM
Time for Stern to go...

As much as I like to hear him say the words "NBA CHamp EEN"

Tek_XX
12-10-2005, 05:04 PM
This will never happen, the music during the game is important to the entertainment aspect to the NBA. People will not come to just watch the game, they want the experience. Stern may have been talking out of his ass on this one.

midgetonadonkey
12-10-2005, 05:16 PM
They should play fart noises when the visiting team has the ball.

exstatic
12-10-2005, 08:53 PM
Memo to Stern: You're never going to make this game "white" again. Stop pissing off a large part of your merchandise purchasing fan base.

Hip hop is da bomb.

ALVAREZ6
12-10-2005, 09:23 PM
Stern is a fuck.

spurs=bling
12-10-2005, 11:17 PM
stern is a fucking retard

he is like the saddam hussein of the NBA

rr2418
12-10-2005, 11:58 PM
I think Stern is talking about during the game! Too me, I don't think music should be played during the actual game. During time outs... that's fine. I go to the game to see the game, not to listen to music. If I want to listen to music, I'll listen to a cd in my cd player, or turn on the radio. Music is fine to pump up the crowd during time outs, but like the reporter said, if fans cannot generate noise themselves, then something is wrong.

Dre_7
12-11-2005, 12:15 AM
I think stern is being an idiot but I must say I cant stand "The Final Countdown." Other than that, I have no problem with sounds during the game. Nothing wrong with "D - FENSE" and other sounds being played during the game. Its a part of the home court advantage.

Stern is an idiot!

CharlieMac
12-11-2005, 12:36 AM
Mondo retarded.

Biff Tannen II
12-13-2005, 02:53 PM
Simple - music should not be played while the ball is inbounds. They have ample opportunity to play as much, and whatever, they want to when the clock isn't running.

rayray2k8
12-13-2005, 03:29 PM
Lay off the commish guys, hes only agreeing with that guys opinion...
He didnt say, "holy crap you're right, NO MORE MUSIC!"
stern will be here very often for the 3 out of 5 years..
giving the Trophy to duncan.. giving the Finals Mvp to timvp

LilMissSPURfect
12-13-2005, 03:32 PM
What's next....suggesting FANS not to wear long shorts and socks too......no kids under 2....no one over 65 allowed ?????

when does it stop...why all the rules all of a sudden

Mixability
12-14-2005, 11:07 AM
as long as the Spurs get rid of "YA'LL READY FOR THIS", then I'm happy! :lol