PDA

View Full Version : Final Draw...Anyone watching?

Duff McCartney
12-09-2005, 03:43 PM
It's on ESPN2 right now and I'm checking it out to see where Mexico is placed in. Brazil is obviously the favorites as they are almost every World Cup but even though I was born here in the U.S., I've always been a Mexico fan in the internation soccer scene.

Personally, I think this is about the only time I ever get excited about soccer even though Mexico rarely wins.

Anyway they are doing the drawing right now and from what I saw Germany and Brazil are already seeded. Germany A1 and Brazil F1 as the chamions.

Horry For 3!
12-09-2005, 03:45 PM
USA! USA! USA! Fuck all the rest!

Duff McCartney
12-09-2005, 03:45 PM
Germany A1
England B1
Argentina C1
Mexico D1 (Woo!)
Italy E1
Brazil F1
France G1
Spain H1

Duff McCartney
12-09-2005, 03:52 PM
Ecuador A4 (Avoid Germany in their first game)
Paraguay B2 (Play England in their first game)
Cote d'Ivoire C2 (Argentina plays them in the first game)
Angola D3 (Mexico plays them in their second game)
Ghana E2 (Play Italy in their first game)
Australia F3 (Avoid Brazil in their first game)
Togo G4 (Avoid France in their first game)
Tunisia H3 (Avoid Spain in their first game)

Tres_Till_it_MHz
12-09-2005, 03:59 PM
WTF, soccer?

Duff McCartney
12-09-2005, 03:59 PM
Poland A3
Sweden B4
Netherlands C4
Portugal D4
Czech Republic E4
Croatia F2 (Brazil vs Croatia in their opening game)
Switzerland G2 (France vs Switzerland in their opening game)
Ukraine H2 (Spain vs Ukraine in their opening game)

Duff McCartney
12-09-2005, 04:07 PM
Last round of drawing.

Group A:

Germany
Costa Rica
Poland
Ecuador

Group B:

England
Paragua
Trinidad and Tobago
Sweden

Group C:

Argentina
Ivory Coast
Serbia and Montenegro
Netherlands

Group D:

Mexico (Damn! Mexico vs Iran in their first game. Amazing!)
Iran
Angola
Portugal

Group E:

Italy
Ghana
USA
Czech Republic

Group F:

Brazil
Croatia
Australia
Japan

Group G:

France
Switzerland
Korea
Togo

Group H:

Spain
Ukraine
Tunisia
Saudi Arabia

----------------------------------

Group F seems like the hardest one. USA vs Italy should be a good match.

tlongII
12-09-2005, 04:09 PM
England has a nice draw.

darrenbatty
12-09-2005, 04:10 PM
the Us got shafted..
Its going to be as very tough group..
Italy, Ghana and Czechs...
Group C is pretty bad too...
Group A and D look to be the easiest...

velik_m
rigged...
finals: brazil-germany?

MaNuMaNiAc
LOL U.S. is fucked

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
We've been robbed! :pctoss

Damn Pelé! Damn Heidi Klum!

Anyway, we'll beat 'em all! :fro

velik_m
12-09-2005, 04:12 PM
sorry argentina but... GO DUTCH!

MaNuMaNiAc
12-09-2005, 04:12 PM
Group F seems like the hardest one. USA vs Italy should be a good match.
You're joking right? Hard for whom?? Brasil is going to steamroll over ALL of those teams! Brasil always gets a bogus first round group

MaNuMaNiAc
12-09-2005, 04:13 PM
sorry argentina but... GO DUTCH!
the Dutch are fucked, we'll murderise those fuckers! http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
12-09-2005, 04:14 PM
I'm actually more worried about Ivory Coast than the Dutch or Serbians. They have a very physical game, and we have short players.

darrenbatty
Predictions:
Group A: Germany, Poland
B: England, Sweden
C: Argentina, Netherlands
D: Mexico, Portugal.. (can see Iran sneaking in though)
E: Italy, Ghana..(can go either way with Ghana and US)
F: Brazil, Australia.. (Hiddink could work wonders)
G: France, South Korea..
H: Spain, Tunisia

velik_m
You're joking right? Hard for whom?? Brasil is going to steamroll over ALL of those teams! Brasil always gets a bogus first round group

yes, i gussed all of their oponents before they got them... why such complicated draw???

Duff McCartney
12-09-2005, 04:15 PM
I don't watch much soccer so I wouldn't know..but I'm assuming that Iran is gonna be an easy draw for Mexico.

alamo50
12-09-2005, 04:15 PM
:hat

Duff McCartney
12-09-2005, 04:16 PM
Alamo50 vs Manumania, Manu'smagicallefthand and all the argentineans?

darrenbatty
12-09-2005, 04:17 PM
the dutch could easily be knocked out in the opening round itself alamo...

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
12-09-2005, 04:18 PM
:hat

Are you travelling to Germany next year alamo50?

batman2883
12-09-2005, 04:19 PM
Landon Donovan is the fucking man...i loved when we beat fucking MEXICO........GO LANDON GO!!!!!

Phenomanul
12-09-2005, 04:19 PM
Group C turned out pretty good... France 98 rematch eh???

velik_m
12-09-2005, 04:23 PM
Alamo50 vs Manumania, Manu'smagicallefthand and all the argentineans?

don't worry Alamo i got your back. Holland will rule!

alamo50
12-09-2005, 04:24 PM
I let the orange terror do the talking.

A nice thing about this draw is that our future King's wife is Argentinian.
Looking forward already to this greatest match of the 1st round.

Crespo vs. Van Nistelrooij

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
12-09-2005, 04:25 PM

Good luck, you'll need it.

velik_m
12-09-2005, 04:25 PM
alamo will kluivert play?

alamo50
12-09-2005, 04:28 PM
the dutch could easily be knocked out in the opening round itself alamo...

And which country between Serbia/Montenegro and Ivory Coast would do that according to you?

:rolleyes

alamo50
12-09-2005, 04:29 PM
alamo will kluivert play?

No he won't.
He ain't good enough anymore I am sorry to say....

MaNuMaNiAc
12-09-2005, 04:31 PM
And which country between Serbia/Montenegro and Ivory Coast would do that according to you?

Hey Ivory Coast is a good team, don't count them ou... on second thought, you're right, don't worry about them. You could even play with substitutes that game, its not like they are hard or anything. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_15.gif

samikeyp
12-09-2005, 04:31 PM
Alamo...what did you think about the Dutch not getting a top 8 seed?

I hope the Dutch do well for Alamo. Argentina is always tough. I just hope the US does respectably although Italy and the Czechs will be tough. Shows you what I know...when did Ghana get good? :p

So Duff, you are a welcher and a traitor...nice.

kolko
12-09-2005, 04:33 PM

Good luck with us :eyebrows

MaNuMaNiAc
12-09-2005, 04:34 PM
Hey Alamo, we'll be looking for a little pay back for that "don't cry for me Argentina" stunt back in '98! hahahaha

samikeyp
12-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Although I am not a huge futbol fan....its fun to watch the World Cup...everyone goes nuts for their respective country.

darrenbatty
12-09-2005, 04:57 PM

Both Ivory Coast and Serbia are not easy games Alamo...
Serbia finished above Spain in their group and Ivory Coast has a few good players...
I still think the Dutch will make it through but there might be some anxious moments...

Horry For 3!
12-09-2005, 05:08 PM
People actually watch soccer?

Duncan21
12-09-2005, 05:18 PM
well since Ireland didn't make it into the world cup, i might aswell go for Poland because there are ALOT of Polish people over here since they are now in the European Union, its something like 1,000 Polish people arrive in Ireland each week. Go Poland!

ManuLoco
12-09-2005, 05:19 PM

No, people don't watch soccer, they watch football (and I'm not talking about american football)

Horry For 3!
12-09-2005, 05:28 PM
American Football > your kind of football

MannyIsGod
12-09-2005, 05:36 PM
Man, when I saw that you had posted in this thread I knew the only thing you would be doing is talking shit. No one was comaring things, just shut the fuck up.

Duff McCartney
12-09-2005, 05:37 PM
So Duff, you are a welcher and a traitor...nice.

Yeah right...professional sports really make somone a traitor.

Duncan21
12-09-2005, 05:37 PM

there is to many stopages in american football, i do watch it and enjoy it but often get pissed off with so many breaks, with football it fast and there half time and thats it, oh and football is the most popular sport in the world

polandprzem
12-09-2005, 05:38 PM
well since Ireland didn't make it into the world cup, i might aswell go for Poland because there are ALOT of Polish people over here since they are now in the European Union, its something like 1,000 Polish people arrive in Ireland each week. Go Poland!
You are from Ireland?
Ask for the flag. Pm AJ.

Yes that's true many Polish people are going to Ireland. I would like to go there too. You know work , money and so on... In Poland it s not that bright

I think Poland got a chance to advance from this group . Although the group with Costarica, Germany and Equador is dangerous. We do not know the South Amercan football much. Germany is also a question mark they might not be ready and they could ve an upset.

MannyIsGod
12-09-2005, 05:39 PM
The World Cup is not a professional sport.

samikeyp
12-09-2005, 05:39 PM

IMO, hoping for your country to lose does...but that is up for debate...the welcher part still stands though.

oh and pay Jim. thank you.

MannyIsGod
12-09-2005, 05:40 PM
You are from Ireland?
Ask for the flag. Pm AJ.

Yes that's true many Polish people are going to Ireland. I would like to go there too. You know work , money and so on... In Poland it s not that bright

I think Poland got a chance to advance from this group . Although the group with Costarica, Germany and Equador is dangerous. We do not know the South Amercan football much. Germany is also a question mark they might not be ready and they could ve an upset.
One of my best friends is from Poland. It was not fun sitting there watching the damn USA/Poland match in 2002. I had to listen to that shit for 90 fucking minutes. The damn Poles and their african polack!

samikeyp
12-09-2005, 05:44 PM
I am a huge fan of American football but they must be doing something right when Soccer is the world's most popular sport.

samikeyp
12-09-2005, 05:45 PM
I watched that match too....it was a good one.

Duff McCartney
12-09-2005, 05:48 PM
IMO, hoping for your country to lose does...but that is up for debate...the welcher part still stands though.

oh and pay Jim. thank you.

Yeah right...hoping for your country to lose in something as trivial as sports doesn't make somebody a traitor. You sure fling that term around loosely over something small.

samikeyp
12-09-2005, 05:49 PM
Its my opinion...I have that right. You certainly don't have to agree and that is cool.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
12-09-2005, 05:52 PM

LOL x 1,000,000

:lol :rollin :lmao

samikeyp
12-09-2005, 05:54 PM
The big question is.....

will we have vbookie for the World Cup? :)

kolko
12-09-2005, 06:13 PM

Most popular sport in the world.

samikeyp
12-09-2005, 06:14 PM
very true. I like watching the World Cup...it is a true world championship.

Horry For 3!
12-09-2005, 06:19 PM
Man, when I saw that you had posted in this thread I knew the only thing you would be doing is talking shit. No one was comaring things, just shut the fuck up.
You do know that I am messing with them monkey boy if not, your an idiot, well that means your an idiot!

MannyIsGod
12-09-2005, 06:33 PM
You do know that I am messing with them monkey boy if not, your anidiot, well that means your an idiot!
http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smiangel.gif

Phenomanul
12-09-2005, 06:34 PM
very true. I like watching the World Cup...it is a true world championship.

My dream is that one day Basketball can have a similar tournament with the same prestige.... With people actually wanting to be called to the National team...

One thing though.... NBA rules...

Oh and then they can have a Champions League with the champions of every league facing off for a World Club Championship....

The rest of the world (with the exception of a few countries) still has some catching up to do before it becomes a reality though....

Horry For 3!
12-09-2005, 06:42 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smiangel.gif

smeagol
12-09-2005, 07:54 PM
The hole thing was rigged!

Argentina again in the group of Death. Brazil gets . . . Australia???!!!!

And . . . Duff, pay Jim dude, have you no shame?

alamo50
12-09-2005, 08:21 PM
Are you travelling to Germany next year alamo50?

Only when I get my hands on a ticket vs. Argentina.
But tickets will be very hard to come by.

Alamo...what did you think about the Dutch not getting a top 8 seed?

That was based on results from the past.
Holland is ranked 2nd on the FIFA World Ranking as of now only trailing Brasil.

Both Ivory Coast and Serbia are not easy games Alamo...
Serbia finished above Spain in their group and Ivory Coast has a few good players...
I still think the Dutch will make it through but there might be some anxious moments...

The good thing is that Argentina and Ivory Coast play with a lot of offense.
So we will see exciting games with the Dutch playing at their best vs. an equal playing style.

N.Y. Johnny
12-09-2005, 11:05 PM
Group F:

Brazil
Croatia
Australia
Japan

What a fucking Joke...of course Brasil gets a fuckin easy draw as always, this is probably worse than USA 94'
But FIFA is a bunch of scumbags anyways that play favorites blatantly.

Italy vs USA shit that fuckin sucks 2 of my teams are done in one group :lmao

The tournament looks like its going to be exciting, hopefully I will try and still take vacation next summer there to catch it, I found some ticket packages reasonably priced so I might do it.

MaNuMaNiAc
12-10-2005, 12:57 AM
The hole thing was rigged!

Argentina again in the group of Death. Brazil gets . . . Australia???!!!!

And . . . Duff, pay Jim dude, have you no shame?
oh come on! Our group isn't that bad. Granted Holland is going to be a bitch, but the rest are very beatable teams.

and Brasil getting the "free pass" to the second round is no news, they always get it, every single World Cup. I guess we will have to get used to the fact that if we want to win the World Cup we will most certainly have to do it over Brasil's dead body http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

MaNuMaNiAc
12-10-2005, 01:07 AM
That was based on results from the past.
Holland is ranked 2nd on the FIFA World Ranking as of now only trailing Brasil.
Actually they're trailing Brasil and the Czech Republic. Anyway the FIFA world ranking is bull. They never truly show the state of things, other than the fact that Brasil is always first http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif. I mean come on! They have the U.S. above England http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif That's a joke. Whoever believes the U.S. is actually better than England don't know shit about soccer. The only reason Mexico and the U.S. are ranked so high is because their opponents in CONCACAF suck bigtime!

polandprzem
12-10-2005, 07:56 AM
One of my best friends is from Poland. It was not fun sitting there watching the damn USA/Poland match in 2002. I had to listen to that shit for 90 fucking minutes. The damn Poles and their african polack!

wow that was so long time ago that I even do not remember that...
Tyhe African guy (Olisadebe) is not palying for about 3 years now (in polish team).
I think that we had better team in the 2002 but overconfidence and no concentration on the goal (games) killed them.
-----------

Argentina is in fine group. everybody is talking about the Death group. Well I think Hollad will suck big time... Thank you.

maxpower
12-10-2005, 09:45 AM
Fifa is one step above the boxing commissions and just below the Olympic committee. With that being said here are the nov power rankings(number to right being change from previous month)

1 Brazil 0
2 Czech Republic 1
3 Netherlands -1
4 Argentina 0
5 France 0
6 Spain 2
7 Mexico -1
8 USA -1
9 England 0
10 Portugal -1
11 Turkey 0
12 Italy 0
13 Denmark 1
14 Sweden -1
15 Japan 1
16 Germany -1
17 Greece 1
18 Uruguay -1
19 Iran 2
20 Croatia -1

World Cup team capsules and group analysis (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/tourneys/2006-worldcup-team-capsules.htm)

The 32 teams that qualified for the 2006 World Cup finals, separated by group:

USATODAY.com analysis by Beau Dure and Adam Hirshfield; team capsules by The Associated Press; FIFA world rankings in parentheses; odds set by British bookmaker William Hill.

GROUP A

USATODAY.com analysis: The fix is in! Not really, but the hosts certainly can't complain about this draw. Despite fielding what will likely be a less experienced and less talented team than in years past, only an utter collapse would keep Germany from reaching the second round. Costa Rica also looks less dangerous than it has in past years, Poland (despite beating the U.S. in 2002) is among the weaker European squads and Ecuador lacks the star power to win on European soil.

Dure's picks: Germany, Poland, Costa Rica, Ecuador
Hirshfield's picks: Germany, Poland, Ecuador, Costa Rica

Germany (16)

Coach: Juergen Klinsmann. Key players: Michael Ballack, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Oliver Kahn.

World Cup record and best finish: 15th appearance; champion (1954, 1974, 1990). Last appearance: Runner-up 2002.

World Cup odds: 8-1.

How qualified: Host.

Scoop: Germany should be boosted the way hosts usually are, but this team seems to lack the quality needed to emulate its runner-up spot from 2002.

Costa Rica (21)

Coach: Alexandre Guimaraes. Key players: Paulo Wanchope, Danny Fonseca, Ronald Gomez.

World Cup record and best finish: Third appearance; second round (1990). Last appearance: First round 2002.

World Cup odds: 500-1.

How qualified: Third in CONCACAF's final group.

Scoop: The Costa Ricans won their qualifying group four years ago, but a third-place finish this time shows their aging stars may be past their prime.

Poland (23)

Coach: Pawel Janas. Key players: Maciej Zurawski, Kamil Kosowski, Jerzy Dudek.

World Cup record and best finish: Sixth appearance; third place (1974, 1982). Last appearance: First round 2002.

World Cup odds: 80-1.

How qualified: One of two best European group runners-up.

Scoop: Poland qualified strongly from a weak group and, with a team of few stars, is unlikely to get past the first round.

Ecuador (37)

Coach: Luis Fernando Suarez. Key players: Agustin Delgado, Ivan Hurtado, Geovanny Espinoza.

World Cup record and best finish: Second appearance; first round (2002). Last appearance: First round 2002.

World Cup odds: 125-1.

How qualified: Third in South American qualifying.

Scoop: Ecuador finished third in its qualifying group by earning the majority of its points playing at high altitude at home in Quito. It might struggle in low-altitude Germany.

GROUP B

USATODAY.com analysis: The intrigue of seeing English coach Sven-Goran Eriksson face his home country of Sweden spices up an otherwise drab group. The well-rounded English are the top seed and should advance, but Sweden has both a very good all-around team and an impressive recent World Cup pedigree. Trinidad & Tobago is happy to be here after beating Bahrain in one of the ugliest World Cup qualifiers in the history of televised soccer, but their chances look dim. Aside from young stud striker Roque Santa Cruz, Paraguay isn't loaded with big names but acquitted itself well in South American qualifying and could surprise its European opponents.

Dure's picks: England, Sweden, Paraguay, Trinidad & Tobago
Hirshfield's picks: Sweden, England, Paraguay, Trinidad & Tobago

England (9)

Coach: Sven-Goran Eriksson. Key players: David Beckham, Wayne Rooney, Michael Owen.

World Cup record and best finish: 12th appearance; champion (1966). Last appearance: Quarterfinals 2002.

World Cup odds: 7-1.

How qualified: Won European Group 6.

Scoop: An underachiever since winning its only title, England has the flair and spirit to trouble opponents, but a habit of faltering in the knockout stages.

Paraguay (30)

Coach: Anibal Ruiz. Key players: Roque Santa Cruz, Nelson Haedo Valdez, Nelson Cuevas.

World Cup record and best finish: Seventh appearance; second round (1998, 2002). Last appearance: Second round 2002.

How qualified: Fourth in South American qualifying.

Scoop: Without retired goalkeeper Jose Luis Chilavert, the Paraguayans will find it difficult to reach the second round for the third straight time.

Trinidad and Tobago (51)

Coach: Leo Beenhakker. Key player: Dwight Yorke, Russell Latapy.

World Cup record and best finish: First appearance.

World Cup odds: 750-1.

How qualified: Beat Bahrain in playoff.

Scoop: Short on players with major experience, anything other than three straight defeats will be a surprise.

Sweden (14)

Coach: Lars Lagerback. Key players: Zlatan Ibrahimovich, Fredrik Ljungberg, Henrik Larsson.

World Cup record and best finish: 11th appearance; runner-up (1958). Last appearance: Second round 2002.

World Cup odds: 33-1.

How qualified: One of two best European group runners-up.

Scoop: Sweden often outperforms higher-ranked and favored nations at the World Cup and, with the likes of Ibrahimovich and Ljungberg, could do so again.

GROUP C

USATODAY.com analysis: It’s a tough call, but this group narrowly edges out Group E for the "Group of Death" honor. Ivory Coast, featuring English Premier League stars Didier Drogba (Chelsea) and Kolo Toure (Arsenal), was one of the two African teams everyone wanted to avoid in this draw. The Dutch are the best team outside the top seeds, and loaded Argentina is one of the strongest of the top seeds. Serbia-Montenegro finished ahead of Spain in their European qualifying group, but they'll be cursing their luck after this draw. The perennial powers of Argentina and the Netherlands should advance, but don’t be surprised if Drogba and company pull off a first-round shocker.

Dure's picks: Netherlands, Argentina, Ivory Coast, Serbia-Montenegro
Hirshfield's picks: Netherlands, Argentina, Serbia-Montenegro, Ivory Coast

Argentina (4)

Coach: Jose Pekerman. Key players: Hernan Crespo, Juan Roman Riquelme, Carlos Tevez.

World Cup record and best finish: 14th appearance; champion (1978, 1986). Last appearance: First round 2002.

World Cup odds: 13-2.

How qualified: Second in South American qualifying.

Scoop: Argentina has skill at all positions, and is believed to be one of the few teams that can beat Brazil.

Ivory Coast (41)

Coach: Robert Nouzarat. Key players: Didier Drogba, Kolo Toure, Aruna Dindane.

World Cup odds: 66-1.

How qualified: Won African Group 3.

Scoop: Led by Drogba, Ivory Coast is believed to be the African team with the best chance to repeat Senegal's quarterfinal performance from 2002.

Serbia-Montenegro (47)

Coach: Ilija Petkovic. Key players: Mateja Kezman, Dejan Stankovic.

World Cup record and best finish: First appearance (as Yugoslavia: nine appearances, semifinals 1930, 1962). Last appearance: Second round 1998.

World Cup odds: 66-1.

How qualified: Won European Group 7.

Scoop: Although it won its qualifying group ahead of Spain, the team's failure to beat the more favored Spaniards suggests it might struggle against the big-name teams.

Netherlands (3)

Coach: Marco van Basten. Key players: Ruud van Nistelrooy, Edwin van der Sar, Phillip Cocu.

World Cup record and best finish: Eighth appearance; runner-up (1974, 1978). Last appearance: Semifinals 1998.

World Cup odds: 11-1.

How qualified: Won European Group 1.

Scoop: One of the few European nations to be a genuine contender, the Netherlands' young team may lack the experience needed to win the country's first title.

GROUP D

USATODAY.com analysis: Mexico squeezed into the top eight, and they've been rewarded with one of the easiest draws imaginable. Despite its controversial top seed, Mexico is one of the top ten squads in the world and should make it through. Even with Ali Daei well past his exceptional prime, Iran has a chance of advancing thanks especially to its smattering of German-based players on the roster. Angola edged past Nigeria to qualify for the first time but won't frighten Mexico or Portugal, which underachieved in losing to the U.S. in 2002. After its run to the Euro 2004 final, ultimately losing to Greece, Portugal is primed for a better run here.

USATODAY.com picks: Portugal, Mexico, Iran, Angola

Mexico (7)

Coach: Ricardo Lavolpe. Key players: Rafael Marquez, Jared Borgetti.

World Cup record and best finish: 13th appearance; quarterfinals (1970, 1986). Last appearance: Second round 2002.

World Cup odds: 50-1.

How qualified: Second in CONCACAF's final group.

Scoop: Mexico goes into every World Cup thinking it has a chance to win it, but with few players with European experience it's not likely to happen this time.

Iran (19)

Coach: Branko Ivankovic. Key players: Ali Daei, Mohammad Nosrati.

World Cup record and best finish: Third appearance; first round (1978, 1998). Last appearance: First round 1998.

How qualified: Second in Asian Group B.

Scoop: Iran's ranking more reflects the standard of teams it plays rather than the impact it can make at the World Cup. It might not finish last in its group, but is unlikely to do much better.

Angola (62)

Coach: Luis Oliveira Goncalvez. Key players: Fabrice Akwa, Flavio Amado.

World Cup odds: 400-1.

How qualified: Won African Group 4.

Scoop: Angola qualified ahead of Nigeria, but it is not expected to make it out of the first round.

Portugal (10)

Coach: Luiz Felipe Scolari. Key players: Luis Figo, Cristiano Ronaldo, Deco.

World Cup record and best finish: Fourth appearance; third place (1966). Last appearance: First round 2002.

World Cup odds: 20-1.

How qualified: Won European Group 3.

Scoop: Portugal is going strong after reaching the 2004 European Championship final. It may lack the discipline to win, but with Figo and its own Ronaldo, it has the talent.

GROUP E

USATODAY.com analysis: American icon Homer Simpson said it best: "D'oh!!!" If the U.S. had not been drawn into this group of death (as opposed to Group C, the Group of Death), the only possible remaining spots were extremely favorable. Instead, the U.S. will face the Czech Republic, ranked second in the world, traditional power Italy and a very solid African side in Ghana. The Italians don't look like such a serious contender on paper, but their defensive-minded style (and the scoring punch of rising star Luca Toni) should get them by in the World Cup. Ghana (featuring Chelsea star Michael Essien) finally broke through to qualify after years of developing talent, and the Czech offense (with Pavel Nedved, Milan Baros and Jan Koller among others) could rack up 10 goals in these three games. The U.S. could pull a minor miracle and make it through, but given their record under Arena on European soil, that's pretty much what it would take.

USATODAY.com picks: Czech Republic, Italy, U.S., Ghana

Italy (12)

Coach: Marcello Lippi. Key players: Francesco Totti, Alessandro Nesta, Christian Vieri.

World Cup record and best finish: 16th appearance; champion (1934, 1938, 1982). Last appearance: Second round 2002.

World Cup odds: 8-1.

How qualified: Won European Group 5.

Scoop: Having disappointed at recent tournaments, the attacking power of Totti, Antonio Cassano and Luca Toni may spur Italy to rival its past deeds.

Ghana (50)

Coach: Ratomir Dujkovic. Key players: Michael Essien, Stephen Appiah, Samuel Kuffour.

World Cup odds: 200-1.

How qualified: Won African Group 2.

Scoop: If Essien shines, the team could surprise some others, as Senegal, Nigeria and Cameroon did at past tournaments.

United States (8)

Coach: Bruce Arena. Key players: Landon Donovan, Claudio Reyna, DaMarcus Beasley.

World Cup record and best finish: Eighth appearance; semifinals (1930). Last appearance: Quarterfinals 2002.

How qualified: Won CONCACAF's final group.

Scoop: The Americans need a favorable draw more than most teams, then must show they can win in Europe, where they are 1-7-2 under Arena.

Czech Republic (2)

Coach: Karel Bruckner. Key players: Pavel Nedved, Tomas Rosicky, Milan Baros.

World Cup record and best finish: First appearance (as Czechoslovakia: eight appearances, runner-up 1938, 1962). Last appearance: Quarterfinals 1990.

World Cup odds: 20-1.

How qualified: Beat Norway in European playoffs.

Scoop: No team scored more goals in European qualifying than the European Championship semifinalists. Jan Koller, Rosicky and Baros are sure to trouble defenses.

GROUP F

USATODAY.com analysis: Let's start with the obvious: Nobody in this group has a prayer against Brazil. Yes, the Samba Kings are the defending champs, but they should field a better side this time around. Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Adriano to choose from up front? Whereas the Czechs have a shot at 10 first-round goals, Brazil will be disappointed if they don't reach that mark. Croatia, far removed from its thrilling run in 1998, is a solid but unspectacular European side. Japan has long been the inexplicable darling of the European media but hasn't shown much outside its own borders in international play in or Asian club competitions. Australia, so often just missing out over the years on qualifying for the World Cup finals, has an experienced group of players, many based in England, and has a serious shot at making its rare trip to the big dance a good one.

Dure's picks: Brazil, Australia, Croatia, Japan
Hirshfield's picks: Brazil, Croatia, Australia, Japan

Brazil (1)

Coach: Carlos Alberto Parreira. Key players: Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Kaka.

World Cup record and best finish: 18th appearance; champion (1958, 1962, 1970, 1994, 2002). Last appearance: Champion 2002.

World Cup odds: 11-4.

How qualified: Won in South American qualifying.

Scoop: The favorite yet again, the world's top-ranked team has the most talented players and is expected to have an easy time reaching its fourth straight final.

Croatia (20)

Coach: Zlatko Kranjcar. Key players: Dado Prso, Niko Kovac, Josip Simunic.

World Cup record and best finish: Third appearance; third place (1998). Last appearance: Third round 2002.

How qualified: Won European Group 8.

Scoop: Croatia's unbeaten record in qualifying should mean it will improve on its first-round elimination from 2002.

Australia (49)

Coach: Guus Hiddink. Key players: Mark Viduka, Harry Kewell.

World Cup record and best finish: Second appearance; first round (1974). Last appearance: First round 1974.

How qualified: Beat Uruguay in playoff.

Scoop: Hiddink led the Netherlands to the semifinals in 1998 and South Korea to the last four in 2002. Taking the Aussies as far would be a minor miracle.

Japan (15)

Coach: Zico. Key players: Hidetoshi Nakata, Naohiro Takahara.

World Cup record and best finish: Third appearance; second round (2002). Last appearance: Second round 2002.

How qualified: Won Asian Group B.

Scoop: With several players in Europe and a Brazilian coach with extensive World Cup experience, the Japanese could make it back to the second round despite playing without home-field advantage.

GROUP G

USATODAY.com analysis: Sacre (les) bleus! How lucky can you be? France, which followed its 1998 triumph with an equally impressive European title in 2000, stammered its way through a weak qualifying group. This group is exactly what they needed. Provided captain and midfield wonder Zinedine Zidane sticks around long enough to play in Germany, they should breeze through. South Korea, though solid with Man U's Park Ji-sung, isn't the same without the intimidating fans that carried them to the 2002 semifinals. Switzerland was lucky to make it past its European playoff against Turkey and has never been among the world elite. Finally, Togo has few players who've seen a game anywhere near this magnitude. At least they'll get three games to sample the halftime bratwurst.

Dure's picks: France, Switzerland, South Korea, Togo
Hirshfield's picks: France, South Korea, Switzerland, Togo

France (5)

Coach: Raymond Domenech. Key players: Zinedine Zidane, Thierry Henry, David Trezeguet.

World Cup record and best finish: 11th appearance; champion (1998). Last appearance: First round 2002.

World Cup odds: 12-1.

How qualified: Won European Group 4.

Scoop: France struggled to qualify until veterans Zidane, Lilian Thuram and Claude Makelele returned to the team and is unlikely to be the force it once was.

Switzerland (36)

Coach: Koebi Kuhn. Key players: Alexander Frei, Philippe Senderos.

World Cup record and best finish: Eighth appearance; quarterfinals (1934, 1938, 1954). Last appearance: Second round 1994.

How qualified: Beat Turkey in European playoff.

Scoop: Having missed the past two tournaments and with no major stars, Switzerland will rely on the spirit it showed to beat Turkey in the playoffs to get it past the first round.

South Korea (29)

Coach: Dick Advocaat. Key players: Park Ji-sung, Lee Young-pyo.

World Cup record and best finish: Seventh appearance; semifinals (2002). Last appearance: Semifinals 2002.

World Cup odds: 300-1.

How qualified: Second in Asian Group A.

Scoop: The South Koreans struggled in qualifying and brought on Dutch coach Dick Advocaat after reaching the tournament for the seventh time. A return trip to the semifinals will be a tall order.

Togo (56)

Coach: Stephen Keshi. Key players: Emmanuel Adebayor, Sheriff Toure.

World Cup odds: 400-1.

How qualified: Won African Group 1.

Scoop: Possibly the biggest surprise of the African qualifying campaign, Togo will be an even bigger surprise if it makes it out of the first round.

GROUP H

USATODAY.com analysis: FIFA hands perennial underachiever Spain a smoothly paved road to the second round. Still, Ukraine has one of the world's best players in AC Milan forward Andriy Shevchenko and has a golden opportunity here to advance. Tunisia has experience and some firepower and will push Ukraine for the runner-up spot. Saudi Arabia has shown bubkus since its dazzling run in USA 1994 and was outscored 12-0 in bowing out in three straight in 2002. Spain's three opponents will manage little more than an "Ole!" and a brisk wave of the cape, though the fight for second could be intriguing.

USATODAY.com picks: Spain, Ukraine, Tunisia, Saudi Arabia

Spain (6)

Coach: Luis Aragones. Key players: Raul Gonzalez, Xavi Hernandes, Carles Puyol.

World Cup record and best finish: 12th appearance; fourth place (1950). Last appearance: Quarterfinals 2002.

World Cup odds: 14-1.

How qualified: Beat Slovakia in European playoffs.

Scoop: The most famous underachiever of all World Cup regulars, Spain looks to have the same mercurial talent and fragile mentality that frustrates fans every four years.

Ukraine (40)

Coach: Oleh Blokhin. Key players: Andriy Shevchenko, Andrii Voronin.

How qualified: Won European Group 2.

Scoop: Ukraine is not considered a serious contender for the title, but powered by Shevchenko's goals, it could upset a team or two at its first World Cup.

Tunisia (28)

Coach: Roger Lemerre. Key players: Karim Saidi, Silva dos Santos, Jose Clayton.

World Cup record and best finish: Fourth appearance; first round (1978, 1998, 2002). Last appearance: First round 2002.

World Cup odds: 300-1.

How qualified: Won African Group 5.

Scoop: The African Cup champion has improved with Brazilian-born players Silva dos Santos and Jose Clayton and could reach the second round if it gets a favorable draw.

Saudi Arabia (32)

Coach: Gabriel Calderon. Key players: Sulley Ali Muntari, Sami al-Jaber.

World Cup record and best finish: Fourth appearance; second round (1994). Last appearance: First round 2002.

How qualified: Won Asian Group A.

Scoop: The Saudis edged South Korea in their final qualifying group, but don't expect them to make waves in Germany.

MaNuMaNiAc
12-10-2005, 10:02 AM
How about that, Argentina gets shafted twice in a row. Member of the "group of death" in 2002 and 2006. Brasil on the other hand, gets the ceremonial free pass to the second round with a group as pathetic as Brasil is great.

danyel
12-10-2005, 10:28 AM
Fifa's ranking is a joke. Iran 19th? over teams like Sweden or Paraguay?

Turkey is 11th without even qualifying to the next world cup?

alamo50
12-10-2005, 12:34 PM
Semi Final on July 4th: Argentina vs. Italy
Semi Final on July 5th: Brasil vs. The Netherlands

Mark it down in your agendas.

:smokin

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
12-10-2005, 01:21 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sol/shared/spl/hi/predictor/html/football/world_cup_06/default.stm

To predict scores, and will show the possible matches in quarters and semi finals.

Quarter finals:
Germany v. Argentina
England v. Holland
Italy v. France
Brazil v. Spain

Semi final:
Argentina v. Italy
England v. Brazil

Final:
Argentina v. Brazil

Champion:
Argentina :smokin

alamo50
12-22-2005, 10:14 PM
I entered the ticket draw today.
Now just have to keep my fingers crossed for a month!

:depressed