PDA

View Full Version : Notes from the Chopper pad

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Ok, I’ve been out of the game. . .watching from the sidelines here for the last few months, but I’m feeling a lot better. The ligaments I tore from my typing hand having landed wrong on my stapler have fully healed. I’ve been participating in morning typing drills but now I think I’m ready to come off the IR and re-enter the game.

Lurking from the sidelines the last few months has been good for me. Gave me a chance to “get refuel” which is always a good thing. . .I think. Also gave me a chance to size up some of the rookie posters in the forum, and let me say that for most of you, your game’s pretty weak. This kid Manu needs to come back when he’s a little more ready. I’m shipping him to the Spurstalk Developmental League where he can hone his skills. As for ShawnMichaels, I think HoltKori should just axe his ass. And this Oh Gee! character? He should consider changing his handle to “Oh What a Dumbass!” Luckily for them I’ve noticed that Duff “Could You Spare A Dime” McCartney and that Buddy Holly/Writer guy are still posting here, so these rookies will never be regarded as the most stupid mother f’ing poster in the forum.

Anyway, here are my assessments of the Spurs team and other random thoughts on this year’s NBA.

1. I thought maybe the first 18 games of the regular season would show some flaws or weaknesses in my Spurs, but I’m fully convinced that the only team that can possibly keep the Spurs from winning another title in ’06 is the Spurs. . .oh, and maybe the Pistons. It’s looking more and more like the best the Western Conference will have to offer as competition to the Spurs might be the Suns, Mavs or Clippers. The Clippers?!!! WTF! Other “elite” Western teams might end up being the Nuggets and the Warriors. Why am I not getting scared here fellas??!! A healthy return of Amare to the Suns might make me pay attention to a Suns v. Spurs series a little more, but I don’t see any team, save Phoenix, that makes me antsy at all. And Phoenix doesn’t make me antsy.

In the East, at least at this point in the season, the Pistons are looking like the only championship caliber team in the conference. Washington = overrated and falling fast. Cleveland, Milwaukee and Chicago are all second rate, one and done playoff teams, and that won’t change at any point this year. The only thing going for those three teams is that they’re in the East so it’s possible you could see a team like the Cavs in the conference finals. Indiana hasn’t found themselves yet, and I’m already hearing that their stars are starting to bicker, Sir Charles and others are talking about Artest trade rumors, so I’m not sure they’ll ever get it right this season. Miami is proving that any team that the Glove tries to coattail on is going to disappoint. And how about that number three seed New Jersey sitting at a healthy 8-9? Yeah the East is back! Idiots.

So, basically, the Spurs just need to play their game, stay healthy and not lose their focus, and they should be able to get to the Finals. The Pistons just need to do the same and there should be another great NBA Finals that no one will watch.

2. I saw a stat that the Spurs are shooting the least number (or close to last number) of free throw attempts per game in the league, yet their record is a lofty 15-3. It’s scary to think of how good they’ll be if they start to really play hard. I’ve seen about a half dozen games so far and I’m not sure I’ve seen a Spurs player break a sweat yet.

3. Michael Finley and Nick Van Exel need to relax a bit. Both guys look a little tight to me. I don’t think either has settled into their roles. Kind of reminds me of Horry that first season as a Spur. In year two as a Spur BigShot Rob relaxed and let his game come to him and was much better for it. I don’t think we’ve seen just how good those two can be for us yet. Hopefully it won’t take until next season to find out.

4. The Nazr conspiracy theory is bogus. I read the arguments put forth by some that N.Mo wasn’t playing because ownership wanted to push his value down. It’s clear to me that Rasho has stepped up this year and is earning his minutes. I like Nazr’s moxie, but he’s been outplayed at the center spot so far this season, plain and simple. Teach big Mo to shoot, give him someone else’s hands, teach him to play position defense and you’ll have yourself a pretty decent center!

5. Does anyone remember when people would create a thread on the Spurs and it consisted of more than “Finley should shoot more” or “Tim Duncan has a big bandaid on his chest – discuss” or “The Spurs are good – I’m out”?? I do. Good Times TM

6. I might not be serving my usual heaping helping of SPAM this March 31st. If the Spurs have the league’s best record entering April the can of Spam might not come off the shelf. Oh, I might take it down and cradle it in my arms, caress the rim a little bit, run my index finger slowly along the seam in that knowing way of mine, but that’s about it.

7. The NBA’s biggest surprise so far this season: The Clippers. Yeah, I knew they were talented, but they’ve been talented in years’ past only to stink it up in the won/loss column. They’re playing good ball. Personally I don’t care where they finish as long as it’s ahead of Kobe and Company. Nice to see LA's stepchild NBA franchise stealing the thunder from the Purple and Gold. Phil is probably on the phone with Rudy T. right now getting advice on how to fake an illness.

8. The biggest losers you ask? Right now that has to go to the Sacramento Kings. That team by all appearances is stacked, with Shareef, Peja, Miller, Wells and Bibby and a decent bench by today’s NBA standards. But. . .they suck! Interesting stat is that ‘SAR the Savior’ is producing less than a point better and more than two rebounds less than the stats the guy he replaced in the lineup did last year – tweener Kenny Thomas. A lot of people had them penciled in 4th or 5th in the West. More likely they’ll be picking 4th or 5th in next year’s draft.

9. Coach Pop – Mr. Calm. Have you ever seen the man look more relaxed on the sidelines. Like most of the Spurs players he doesn’t seem all that pumped up at this point in the season. He looks a little like Colonel Sanders, uhh I mean Phil Jackson, all relaxed and kicking back during the games. I actually thought I saw drool on his shirt from the nap he took during the third quarter of the Miami game the other night. It’s nice when a team can sleepwalk to a 15-3 record. The Chopper is feeling what Pop is feeling. Normally I’m a lot more concerned about my Spurs at this point in the year. I’ve yelled and screamed and drop kicked the cat during at least one Spurs game by this point in the year. This year so far? Only a handful of mildly audible cuss words and the “Kicked-Cat-O-Meter” in my living room still is showing a big fat zero. During the Heat game I only stood up from the couch once, and that was when the score was cut to single digits in the 4th quarter. . .and I only did that because I needed another beer.

10. Spurs are good. I’m out!

Brodels
12-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Great post. And welcome back from your semi-retirement. I agree with your assessment of the rookie posters, and I think your breakdown of the Spurs is spot on.

I worry about health more than anything. It's possible that another team could beat the Spurs, but if anything gets the team, it's going to be injuries. If the Spurs can stay relatively healthy, they'll have a great shot.

ShoogarBear
12-09-2005, 05:54 PM
Great post.

However, before you start laying out the "dumbass" smack: you did WHAT to your hand?

:rollin

samikeyp
12-09-2005, 05:55 PM
Good to see the Chopper back in the house! :tu

Slomo
12-09-2005, 05:56 PM
Nice to read you again EHJ! Good post as always - good to know that the SPAM is in good hands.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-09-2005, 06:02 PM
Great post.

However, before you start laying out the "dumbass" smack: you did WHAT to your hand?

:rollin

:lol

Perhaps I embellished just a bit on that one. I just wanted to be like my hero Shaq and have a valid excuse for missing the first 25% of the season.

Manu20
12-09-2005, 06:12 PM
Welcome Back EHJ!

Das Texan
12-09-2005, 06:13 PM
good to see you around here again Chopper.

good post also btw.

spurschick
12-09-2005, 06:15 PM
Great to see you back!

Ishta
12-09-2005, 06:17 PM
Good to see you back!

SpursWoman
12-09-2005, 06:47 PM
Welcome back, chopper boy! :makeout

Great post! :tu

Solid D
12-09-2005, 06:53 PM
And that my friends is why the rookies in here have a longgggggggg way to go to reach Chopper's propeller airstream. Truly one of Spurstalk's "Best of Breed".

Welcome back. I noticed it took Shelly's birthday thread to get you back into the habit of posting again.

ducks
12-09-2005, 07:07 PM
welcome back
GO CHOPPER GO

smeagol
12-09-2005, 07:34 PM
:tu

TwoHandJam
12-09-2005, 08:18 PM
Nice of you to drop by Mr. Ed. Nice post and spot on as usual. The only part that had me thinking you have a split personality disorder was this:

A healthy return of Amare to the Suns might make me pay attention to a Suns v. Spurs series a little more, but I don’t see any team, save Phoenix, that makes me antsy at all. And Phoenix doesn’t make me antsy. :lol

xcoriate
12-09-2005, 11:04 PM
His back,a and he used the phrases SPAM, Good Times and Get Refuel all in one post. This one, Spurs are good. I’m out! could catch on too :lol

Looking forward too some more of your posts EHJ!

T Park
12-09-2005, 11:53 PM
The choppa.

Always one of the best.

WB Big boi.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-10-2005, 12:13 AM
Thanks folks! It's good to be back! It's going to be fun!!