PDA

View Full Version : Spurs get in trouble for long shorts

Kori Ellis
12-10-2005, 01:46 AM
Spurs notebook: Rivers impressed Parker practices 'lost art' of layups

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA121005.11C.BKNspurs.notebook.22373ab3.html

Web Posted: 12/10/2005 12:12 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

After watching Tony Parker warm up before Friday's game, Boston coach Doc Rivers had a message for his own point guards.

"The guy actually practices layups," Rivers said of Parker. "I mean how many guards actually practice layups?

"I've been telling my son that for years. I've been watching guys in layup lines and they're dunking and give no thought to it.

"I tell you it's a lost art, making layups, and Tony Parker has brought it back."

Parker entered Friday's game shooting a career-best 55.2 percent in large part because of his effectiveness at getting into the lane.

"Fifteen years ago, we would have knocked him on his butt," Rivers said. "That's not done anymore.

"You did it then not to hurt anybody. You just knocked them down and you picked them back up. And then if he came back in, you knocked him back down.

"Now if you knock a guy down, guys stand over you and all that crap."

Parker wasn't quite as effective when he got into the lane Friday, missing 10 of 15 shots. He finished with 16 points and made all but one of his six free throws.

Pull them up: The Spurs have realized there are drawbacks to having several of their games broadcast on national television. For one thing, it allows the NBA's fashion police to more easily monitor them.

After Wednesday's victory over Miami, which was televised on ESPN, league officials called the Spurs to warn them five players were wearing their shorts too long. Under league order, a player's shorts must hang at least an inch above the knee.

The Spurs had been previously warned they were in violation of the rule, so the league is now threatening a fine. Individual players will be fined at least $10,000 for the offense while their respective franchises also are docked $50,000.

Fabulous: Fabricio Oberto, who has played sparingly this season, had four points and three rebounds Friday.

"I loved watching him go to the offensive boards," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "As far as everything else, he's just trying to get used to being on the court with these guys. He has no clue what anybody's going to do out there because he doesn't have any minutes."

Big mo: The Spurs and Celtics have experienced a couple of severe momentum shifts in their rivalry.

From 1980-89, Boston beat the Spurs 20 consecutive times.

David Robinson's arrival in 1989 made the series more competitive and the Spurs became the dominant team after winning the 1997 draft lottery — and the rights to Tim Duncan.

Entering Friday, the Spurs had won their past 23 games over Boston when either Robinson or Duncan were in uniform. The lone loss during that stretch came on Jan. 8, 1997, when Robinson was sidelined by injury.

Kori Ellis
12-10-2005, 01:46 AM
I wonder who the five players are... I was thinking about this same subject during tonight's game and the only violator that I could see was Van Exel. :wtf

timvp
12-10-2005, 01:48 AM
$250,000?

I think I just heard Holt choke on his caviar.

Mr. Body
12-10-2005, 01:52 AM
Not sure Doc's right about 'back in the day' players would knock Parker down. He makes it sound like Isiah Thomas and the like never drove into the lane, because they'd not survive. That's crap. And it's crap that Parker doesn't get the snot knocked out of him on a regular basis. He's picking himself off the floor all the time, only he doesn't complain, he just rolls with it. He'd be just as hellacious to guard 15-20 years ago as he is today. The main difference is the Spurs would have to put an enforcer on their roster to clean the clocks of anybody who hit him.

Bloodline666
12-10-2005, 01:56 AM
Shit...I never even paid attention to the shorts these last few games! I'd better start doing just that!

I also wonder who's in violation...

TDMVPDPOY
12-10-2005, 01:59 AM
wtf actually provides the uniforms to the teams? the nba or teh team itself?

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
12-10-2005, 02:00 AM
Shit...I never even paid attention to the shorts these last few games! I'd better start doing just that!

I also wonder who's in violation...

You know who are the ballas in this team...

http://www.shamsports.com/images/amusing/rasho.jpg

:fro :smokin

nkdlunch
12-10-2005, 02:02 AM
NBA rules suck these days

milkyway21
12-10-2005, 02:49 AM
$250,000?

I think I just heard Holt choke on his caviar...:lmao

all this ridiculous fines-Tim making contact with Jack Nies, the Ipod thing, and now this one bec the shorts is way too low, makes me wonder-is the NBA trying to be Hollywood?
Why can't they just limit the fines based on character or attitudes of the players or owners in the league?

Hey Stern this is sportsworld...not a schoolyard!

ploto
12-10-2005, 03:03 AM
I looked through a bunch of pictures. Seem short enough are Manu, Rasho, Beno, Bruce, Tony, Tim (??)

Maybe a tad too long (like an inch)- Finley, Nazr(?? hard to tell), Horry, Barry, Oberto (I found a picture with these guys and it looks like maybe just a tad of their knee is covered.)

Definitely too long: NVE

So my guess is definitely Nick and Brent and 3 of the other 4.

milkyway21
12-10-2005, 03:12 AM
NEW YORK (AP) - The NBA players' union filed a grievance on behalf of 13 players who were fined $10,000 each for wearing their shorts too long.

The rule calls for shorts to be 1 inch above the knee.
Fines were handed out to New York's Nate Robinson and Stephon Marbury; Philadelphia's John Salmons, Kyle Korver, Allen Iverson and Kevin Ollie; Indiana's Jermaine O'Neal, Stephen Jackson and Jamaal Tinsley; Denver's Voshon Lenard, DerMarr Johnson and Andre Miller, and New Jersey's Jeff McInnis.

The grievance was filed late Tuesday night, NBPA spokesman Dan Wasserman said Friday. ESPN.com reported on its Web site Thursday that teams were fined $50,000 for each violation.

The shorts rule is not part of the collective bargaining agreement, Wasserman said.

"The rule has been on the books a number of years and only been enforced sporadically at best, to our knowledge," Wasserman said. "We think this exceeds what is reasonable in governing the conduct of players on the court."

NBA spokesman Tim Frank said the league is closely monitoring the length of shorts this year.

"This year there's been a lot more violations," Frank said. "There's been twice as many as last year to this point."

Teams are warned on the first offense and fined after the second. Players and teams are fined after the third violation, Frank said.

"We don't think it's reasonable for players to be fined merely for wearing the uniform that was provided by the team," Wasserman said.

the battle for shorts fines is ON...

sprrs
12-10-2005, 03:47 AM
Suprising that K-Mart isn't on the list of players fined in Denver.

And on the issue of shorts being too long, I usually don't agree with the Union in most of their decisions, but I think they're right in this one. Fining for something so insignificant is pointless. They're just being nitpicky now.

Rummpd
12-10-2005, 09:55 AM
Think about how the shorts have lengthened when in fact, my wife, and I have heard about this from other female fans, liked the guys better "in the short shorts". It certainly was a more athletic look.

ChumpDumper
12-10-2005, 09:56 AM
Why don't they fine Reebok for making them too long?

xcoriate
12-10-2005, 10:24 AM
Think about how the shorts have lengthened when in fact, my wife, and I have heard about this from other female fans, liked the guys better "in the short shorts". It certainly was a more athletic look.

Oh hell no... where not going back to that!

1Parker1
12-10-2005, 10:59 AM
:lmao :lmao Jay Leno had an awesome joke about this last night, he said something like:

"So the NBA has a new rule that any player caught with shorts that go below his knees with be fined $10 grand. Of course, Kobe has already paid huge fines for getting caught with his shorts below his waistband."

1Parker1
12-10-2005, 11:00 AM
I have heard about this from other female fans, liked the guys better "in the short shorts". It certainly was a more athletic look.

Not this female fan....:vomit :vomit

hussker
12-10-2005, 11:19 AM
Hope they do not start fining for "CHIA HEADS"

T Park
12-10-2005, 11:50 AM
Why don't they fine Reebok for making them too long?

Cause Reebok doesn't tell the players to wear shorts 1 size bigger than they should wear.

$250,000?

I think I just heard Holt choke on his caviar

Yeah had he done choked on his caviar, there would've been a celebratory thread about it.

DesiSpur_21
12-10-2005, 12:03 PM
:lmao :lmao Jay Leno had an awesome joke about this last night, he said something like:

"So the NBA has a new rule that any player caught with shorts that go below his knees with be fined $10 grand. Of course, Kobe has already paid huge fines for getting caught with his shorts below his waistband."

:lmao :lmao

ALVAREZ6
12-10-2005, 12:04 PM
The NBA has turned into the gayest league ever, now with a dress code, too long shorts, wtf???

David Stern should go kill himself.

sa_butta
12-10-2005, 12:08 PM
The NBA has turned into the gayest league ever, now with a dress code, too long shorts, wtf???

David Stern should go kill himself.

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/06/29/2906_bogut08_gallery__472x550.jpg
^^FAG^^

Marklar MM
12-10-2005, 01:04 PM
http://www.spin-web.com/Muggsy/muggsy_stockton.jpg
I will stick with longer shorts.

King
12-10-2005, 01:12 PM
Nate Robinson? Dude's 5'9 - all shorts are going to be below his knees.

angel_luv
12-10-2005, 01:24 PM
Oh good grief!

lilmads
12-10-2005, 01:31 PM
LOL to that Jay Leno joke!

Long shorts are much better than the short ones.. those look just sooo gayyyyyyyyyy... Yuck!

angel_luv
12-10-2005, 01:44 PM
Shopping is the answer to everything!

:lol @your sig Lil!

In this case your motto is absolutely correct. Some guys need to go shopping for shorts! :lol

lilmads
12-10-2005, 01:46 PM
Haha, sooo trueee... :)
I love shopping, and it fits perfectly for this thread!

angel_luv
12-10-2005, 01:50 PM
I'm a little weary of local shoppers at present. I work in the mall! :wow

Thank God I am in the info center and not in a shop refolding clothes every five minutes!
I might have to go Ron Artest on somebody! :rollin

lilmads
12-10-2005, 01:53 PM
:lol
Lucky you then!:)
I'm dying to go to a real mall, I haven't been to one in over a year nowww... I can't shop on this stupid island.. We have like no good stores here... All this stuff that I'd never wear or use... Ughh...

boutons
12-10-2005, 01:56 PM
Short shorts were OK in the NBA for 40+ years.

"There's no accounting for style"

LilMissSPURfect
12-10-2005, 02:08 PM
http://www.foulshots.com/images/shaqshorts.jpg

spursjustice
12-10-2005, 02:12 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/06/29/2906_bogut08_gallery__472x550.jpg
^^FAG^^

What do you suppose commish is fantasizing? :lol

angel_luv
12-10-2005, 02:23 PM
:lol
Lucky you then!:)
I'm dying to go to a real mall, I haven't been to one in over a year nowww... I can't shop on this stupid island.. We have like no good stores here... All this stuff that I'd never wear or use... Ughh...

Have I introduced you to my good friend amazon.com? :)

Bet the island didn't seem so stupid during training camp, eh? :lol