PDA

View Full Version : Willie Anderson, James Silas, Alvin Robertson

mikejones99
12-10-2005, 10:44 PM
3 of the top 20 spurs of all times

ZStomp
12-10-2005, 10:44 PM
uuuuhhhhhhhhhhh.................OK...what now?

mikejones99
12-10-2005, 10:50 PM
Three guards that could do it all. Did any of you ever see them in the Hemisphere arena?

exstatic
12-10-2005, 11:28 PM
What do you mean "do it all"? Willie Anderson couldn't fucking shoot! Alvin wasn't much of a shooter, either...

mikejones99
12-10-2005, 11:41 PM
They could defend or get 30 if they had too.

IceColdBrewski
12-10-2005, 11:58 PM
I remember being pissed off at willie more often than not. Dude would go on these long, poor shooting droughts, yet still hog the ball and take most of the shots. It was enough to make you want to strangle the guy. He got pushed around a lot on defense too. Willie was definitely nothing special.

CharlieMac
12-10-2005, 11:59 PM
Anderson, that's Willie, slam it in your face and make you look silly.

exstatic
12-11-2005, 12:02 AM
They could defend or get 30 if they had too.
So? There were a lot of players who could do that back in the day.

To me, that doesn't translate into "doing it all". That covers the categories of ball handling, shooting, defense, rebounding, and shotblocking. If we only use the guard-friendly categories (ball handling, shooting, defense), Anderson comes up short in shooting and defense, and Alvin in ball handling and shooting. They both had serious flaws in their games.

wildbill2u
12-11-2005, 02:38 PM
Didn't Robertson make it to the All-star game once? Wasn't he All-defense or something?

Anderson became the prime shooter because he was basically on a team without any other options. The Spurs were at a low point.

whottt
12-11-2005, 02:58 PM
Willie Anderson was weird....first of all, he wasn't that bad of a shooter, as long as his toe was on the 3pt line :)

Secondly...the dude had a stud rookie year and probably could have made the HOF if he put up 10 seasons like his rookie season.

I wonder how many players had their greatest seasons as rookie...

Willie's career highs in pts, ppg, assists, rb, steals, blocks, and FG% all came in his rookie year....and they were great totals...not just great for a rookie...but he was never that good again.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-11-2005, 02:58 PM
I think he meant that Willie Anderson did all them females.

exstatic
12-11-2005, 07:32 PM
Didn't Robertson make it to the All-star game once? Wasn't he All-defense or something?

He was a primo defender, Bowen class, and throw in a truckload of steals. He was also a premier rebounder for a guard. The other side of his game was average, though. Not much of a shooter or ball handler, though like Anderson, he did put points on the board.

ambchang
12-12-2005, 01:48 AM
Robertson wasn't Bowen, he played the passing lanes well, but he gambles to do that. I am not saying he's nothing special on defense, but there are very few people who played perimeter defense as well as Bowen. Robertson is not one of them.

sandman
12-12-2005, 10:51 AM
What I remember most about Alvin was that he did not so much as play great defense as he had good anticipation in the passing lanes and had a boatload of steals. I also remember that he looked lost and out of synch anytime that he and Ice were on the floor at the same time.

ORION
12-12-2005, 01:18 PM
I think he meant that Willie Anderson did all them females.
No joke ! I was up at canyon lake one time way back and willie had about 8 women on his boat with just him.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-12-2005, 01:24 PM
Silas, pre-injury, was one of the best. Maybe the best point guard the Spurs have ever had.

Robertson had his strengths to be sure, and some big weaknesses. I could see you argue in his defense.

But Willie Anderson??? I don't know if he'd make my top 20 Spurs of all-time list.

Here's a novel idea, MikeJones99. If you're going to say these guys are three of your top-twenty, why not give us the other 17 names? Saving those for 6 other threads are you???

pache100
12-12-2005, 01:48 PM
Three guards that could do it all. Did any of you ever see them in the Hemisphere arena?

Yes. All of them. And many more. Except it was Hemisfair Arena.

And, I would have put George Gervin ahead of Robertson and Anderson.

cherylsteele
12-12-2005, 03:30 PM
Silas - Yes one of the great Spurs

Alvin - great defender....average at best ball handler......average shooter. Could be one of the greats based on his "D" alone though.

Willie Anderson - Streaky shooter, usually not on a streak. He got his points on penetrations in the lane. His "D" was poor at best.

Yes I saw them several times at HemisFair, except for Silas he was gone before I moved to San Antonio in 1980.

CubanMustGo
12-12-2005, 03:35 PM
Jimmy Si, in his pre-injury ABA days, was a joy to behold. NBA fans never got to see the real Silas.

mikejones99
12-12-2005, 04:20 PM
Duncan Gervin Robinson Moore Silas Kenon mitchell Gilmore Whopper Elliot Avery 3already manu parker bowen rose rasho Horry5

spurster
12-12-2005, 05:49 PM
Duncan Gervin Robinson Moore Silas Kenon mitchell Gilmore Whopper Elliot Avery 3already manu parker bowen rose rasho and one more.
You missed Will the Thrill.

mikejones99
12-12-2005, 05:55 PM
Dam, you are right. That picture is priceless.

Ocotillo
12-12-2005, 07:25 PM
Pop would love to have an in his prime Alvin Robertson. Alvin got a quadruple double one time points-rebounds-assists-steals.

He did have his personal demons though.

SouthernFried
12-12-2005, 08:13 PM
Never liked Willie...Alvin was solid, but not sure I'd put him in the top 20 Spurs. Silas, most definetly.

Couple Spurs I think were underrated, Terry Cummings and Doc Rivers. Cummings lead the team when David was a rookie. If Brown hadn't screwed the chemistry up the next year with all those over-the-hill veterans like Sidney Green, Pressey, Mo cheeks...Spurs woulda been serious contenders. Those veterans didn't need someone like Cummings...but, the rest of the Spurs did. Strickland made that stupid pass, and ruined his career in San Antonio...but, that dude had some potential. I don't care what anyone says...Larry Brown sucks.

And Doc Rivers was one of the biggest hustlers the Spurs ever had...he was everywhere. That guy knew the game.

mikejones99
12-12-2005, 08:18 PM
The pass, wow wee, that has to be the most under rated bone head play of all time. At Portland and the Spurs were about 50 to 1 to win the title that year. George johnson blocked alot of shots so he might have to be added,