View Full Version : Artest may be an option for Nuggets

ducks
12-12-2005, 05:29 PM
Rookie's first step
Hodge volunteers to go to developmental league to advance career
By Adam Thompson
Denver Post Staff Writer
DenverPost.com

Charlotte, N.C. - Julius Hodge had played slightly more time with the Nuggets than a cowboy gets to ride a bull - 11 seconds.

He finally earned his shot Saturday at Orlando, scoring four points in just more than four minutes late in a game in which the Nuggets already had effectively lost. Still, this could not be the way the guard envisioned a homecoming trip that sees him returning to the state where he played college basketball (Tuesday at Charlotte) and near his hometown (Friday at New Jersey).

The New York City native might not even make it with the team to New Jersey if the Nuggets decide to send him to the NBA Development League's Austin Toros after helping Denver practice here. If that happens, he would become the first NBA first-round pick shipped to the D-League.

Yet it was Hodge who made the request to go there when he approached general manager Kiki Vandeweghe a week ago.

"I think it was pretty easy," said Hodge, who would not take a cut in pay to drop to the D-League. "I'm a basketball player. I work hard on my game and continue to get better every day. It doesn't matter where I'm at, just what I'm on the team doing."

It has been a long autumn for Hodge. He handled a preseason knee injury and an attempted sexual-assault accusation on which that authorities declined to press charges. How he's handled all that, plus his lack of playing time, has impressed Nuggets' decision-makers.

"He's very, very professional already," Vandeweghe said. "I'm very, very impressed with him. He's been through some interesting things and demonstrated he's a real class act."

Added coach George Karl: "I thought he had a very ordinary training camp. But since training camp, since the season has started, I think he's had some really good practices. I think in training camp his knee was bothering him. I feel he's an NBA player. He's just got to wait for his opportunity."

Vandeweghe said Hodge was willing to stay if the injury-depleted Nuggets needed him. But his rationale for playing in Austin is simple - practicing can take a player only so far. If Hodge goes to Austin, the Nuggets could not fill his spot on the roster.

Nuggets guard Earl Boykins, who paid his share of dues after a stellar college career, said he could relate, and he predicted good things for his young teammate.

"I think a lot of guys don't make it when they struggle at the beginning because they lose their confidence," Boykins said. "He's a real confident guy."

Toros coach Dennis Johnson said Hodge will be pressed more than some might expect on his team, which includes former NBA players Marcus Fizer and Andre Emmett.

"We'll try to put him in a position to make his size work for him," Johnson said. "I'm looking forward to having him. I see him as the same type of guard I was."

This is a new set of parameters for Hodge, a four-year starter at North Carolina State who left the school with his jersey hanging from the Reynolds Coliseum ceiling.

"He really was a fan favorite from the time he committed to North Carolina State," Wolfpack coach Herb Sendek said, adding: "Julius has a charismatic personality. ... He was a passionate player for us."

Despite his pedigree, Hodge is confident enough to take a voluntary step back as an investment in a longer career.

"I'm very persistent at being the best at whatever I do, working the hardest," he said. "I see this situation as being no different."

Footnotes

The Bobcats do not know whether forward Emeka Okafor (sprained right big toe) will be healthy enough to face Denver, a team spokesman said Sunday. ... Controversial Indiana swingman Ron Artest stated his preference to leave the Pacers in Sunday's Indianapolis Star. There were rumors over the summer of discussions between the Nuggets and the Pacers about Artest. Vandeweghe did not address Artest, but said that while Denver will have more options to make deals after Dec. 15 (Thursday), when teams may trade the players they acquired during the offseason, "We may not do anything."

Staff writer Adam Thompson can be reached at 303-820-5447 or [email protected].