PDA

View Full Version : Spurs requested Moscow, but they are going to Paris

Kori Ellis
12-13-2005, 02:45 AM
Spurs' camp in Paris next year

Web Posted: 12/13/2005 12:00 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
San Antonio Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA121305.4D.spurs.europe.da1797c.html

Two months after visiting the U.S. Virgin Islands in a show of support for Tim Duncan, the Spurs have made plans to hold their next training camp in Tony Parker's homeland.

Two NBA sources said Monday the Spurs will spend their weeklong camp in Lyon, France, next season. They also will play a pair of exhibition games, including one on Oct. 8 in Paris against Israel's Maccabi Tel Aviv, the reigning Euroleague champion.

The Spurs, who played a preseason game against Memphis in Paris before the 2002-03 season, agreed to return to France as part of NBA Europe Live presented by EA Sports. The joint initiative between the NBA and Euroleague Basketball will have four NBA teams visit seven cities in five European countries next fall.

The NBA is expected to make a formal announcement about the training-camp sites this week.

Because they had previously been to Paris, the Spurs initially requested to train in Moscow. League officials, however, thought France would be a better fit for the team because of Parker's popularity there.

The Spurs agreed to the change as a way to further enhance their already strong ties to France's professional league. The Los Angeles Clippers will instead hold camp in Moscow.

In addition to drafting Parker four years ago, the Spurs used last season's first-round pick on Ian Mahinmi, a 19-year-old, 6-foot-10 forward from France. Viktor Sanikidze, a 2004 second-round pick of the Spurs, also plays for Dijon in the French Pro A League, but is currently in San Antonio after undergoing surgery to clean up tendinitis in both of his knees.

While the Spurs are in Lyon, they will play ASVEL Lyon-Villeurbanne, one of France's top professional teams. Maccabi Tel Aviv beat the Toronto Raptors in a preseason game two months ago.

The Philadelphia 76ers and Phoenix Suns will join the Spurs and Clippers in Europe. The 76ers will train in Barcelona while the Suns will hold camp in Treviso, Italy, and play an exhibition game in Rome.

Philadelphia and Phoenix, whose coach, Mike D'Antoni, played and coached in Italy, also will join this season's Euroleague champion and runner-up in a four-team tournament in Cologne, Germany, on Oct. 10-11.

Kori Ellis
12-13-2005, 02:47 AM
Viktor Sanikidze, a 2004 second-round pick of the Spurs, also plays for Dijon in the French Pro A League, but is currently in San Antonio after undergoing surgery to clean up tendinitis in both of his knees.

:)

10-tka
12-13-2005, 03:20 AM
What about Slovenia?
Maybe in 2 years time?!

I know that we arn't global economy super-player but small is beautiful and I bet that Stern and Co. would loved it as much as SA Spurs.

NZHayden
12-13-2005, 03:22 AM
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b273/nzhayden/EuroTripDVDrip53mrFirst.jpg

milkyway21
12-13-2005, 03:32 AM
..so, hope Ian Mahinmi's to play for this one. I'd like to see if how he fits in with the team & Tim

:hat

Parkersgirl9
12-13-2005, 06:17 AM
Man must be nice... "Well we went to Paris last year, I want to go to Moscow this time, but I guess we will just settle for Paris."

SequSpur
12-13-2005, 07:48 AM
Dude, Italy would be cool...

Have you all seen the Italy show on KLRN??

That place is frickin cool.

ploto
12-13-2005, 08:16 AM
Viktor Sanikidze, a 2004 second-round pick of the Spurs, also plays for Dijon in the French Pro A League, but is currently in San Antonio after undergoing surgery to clean up tendinitis in both of his knees.

Chalk one up for Solid D.

I kept seeing him and I was sure it was him!!

MadDog73
12-13-2005, 09:33 AM
Why not Argentina? They've been to Parker's and Tim's hometown, why not Manu's?

TMTTRIO
12-13-2005, 10:06 AM
Why not Argentina? They've been to Parker's and Tim's hometown, why not Manu's?
I guess Pop going for that BWB program was Manu's planned trip but I did hear Manu talk about it at the beginning of the year that it would be nice to have it there someday and to have his teammates there and that maybe if he offered Pop enough wines that would probably work :lol.

Extra Stout
12-13-2005, 10:16 AM
I guess Pop going for that BWB program was Manu's planned trip but I did hear Manu talk about it at the beginning of the year that it would be nice to have it there someday and to have his teammates there and that maybe if he offered Pop enough wines that would probably work :lol.
Training camp in Mendoza would not suck.

Well, except for the altitude.

ducks
12-13-2005, 10:37 AM
Argentina would not be safe for tp
everyone hates his ass there "because he will not pass him the ball" :rolleyes :rolleyes

SLOVENIAN 8
12-13-2005, 10:42 AM
Dude, Italy would be cool...

Have you all seen the Italy show on KLRN??

That place is frickin cool.

Ah Italy i hate that "makaronarje" :lol :lol

tp time
12-13-2005, 11:09 AM
Great news!! I was in paris 2 years ago (SA-Memphis). It was so cool!!!

TOP-CHERRY
12-13-2005, 11:13 AM
everyone hates his ass there "because he will not pass him the ball" :rolleyes :rolleyes
You think he'd be booed there? If so, they shouldn't hold camp there. I don't know though; how much do they dislike Tony Parker in Argentina?

angel_luv
12-13-2005, 11:29 AM
Man must be nice... "Well we went to Paris last year, I want to go to Moscow this time, but I guess we will just settle for Paris."

No kidding! First the beach and now this! The poor dears! :lol

boutons
12-13-2005, 11:53 AM
Not only the Tony marketing angle, but Diaw and Pietrus, too.
With draftees Sanikidze and Mahinmi being in the area, it's an NBA/Spurs marketing tactic.

It would be great fun in Argentina or Slovenia in a couple years. Argentina did get the BWF road show this past summer. Can't get too greedy.

ploto
12-13-2005, 01:56 PM
It would be great fun in Argentina or Slovenia in a couple years. Argentina did get the BWF road show this past summer. Can't get too greedy.
Slovenia has beautiful training facilities but the non-Slovenian guys would hate the altitude. :)

kolko
12-13-2005, 02:44 PM
http://www.nba.com/europelive/

tlongII
12-13-2005, 02:54 PM

I've never heard of surgery for tendinitis???

SLOVENIAN 8
12-13-2005, 03:01 PM
The Spurs will travel to Lyon, France for training camp and play a game against the French team Adecco ASVEL Lyon-Villeurbanne at the Astroballe on Oct. 5. The team will then travel to Paris for a game against two-time Euroleague Basketball Champions Maccabi Elite Tel Aviv at the Paris-Bercy on Oct.

Spurs should play against better teams...

austinfan
12-13-2005, 03:31 PM
Sounds like Pop wants to stock up on the latest French vintages. :)

Lady M
12-13-2005, 04:41 PM
don't call me the 8th october
I'll go to Bercy :elephant

Streakyshooter08
12-13-2005, 04:47 PM
Cool. I hope that I will be able to see the Spurs in Paris. :elephant I will have to spend a lot of money to go there but its cheaper than going to SA. :spin

I really hoped they would come to cologne as well but its only Suns ans Sixers... :depressed

@french ppl: Are there any good and affordable hotels over there... I am a little excited...:)

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
12-13-2005, 04:59 PM

First your soccer post, now this. Crack and Whiskey as breakfast is a big no.

JUUOT
12-13-2005, 05:01 PM
the best is you heard it first on spurstalk before the begining of the regular season. Tony gave the info in the TP show that it would be in paris after the camp in the VI. but it was never confirmed until now.

ALVAREZ6
12-13-2005, 05:02 PM
This "Argentina hates TP" bullshit is gettin old.

Vashner
12-13-2005, 06:18 PM
Moscow...

Rasho told them "I tell you Russian chicks are best no?"

GO SPurs Go
12-13-2005, 06:29 PM
Yeah and next year all going to Argentina!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11