PDA

View Full Version : Gallup: 94% of Americans Believe in God

Murphy
12-13-2005, 01:47 PM
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001659292

Gallup: Poll Finds Americans' Belief in God Remains Strong

By E&P Staff

Published: December 13, 2005 12:15 PM ET

NEW YORK A new Gallup survey released today finds that four decades after the "God Is Dead" controversy was first noted, Americans retain a strong belief in a higher power. Some 94% think God exists.

Only 5% feel God "does not exist" -- and even most of them "are not sure" of that. Exactly 1% are certain there is no God.

But how strongly do the believers believe? Nearly 8 in 10, in fact, say they are "convinced" God exists, although Gallup does not ask them why that is.

Conservatives are more likely to be convinced than liberals (87% vs. 61%), women a little more likely than men (82% vs. 73%), and residents of the South more than those in the East (88% vs. 70%).

Surprisingly, some 61% of those who seldom or never attend church are nevertheless convinced that God exists.

Oh, Gee!!
12-13-2005, 01:48 PM
God is a Concept by which
we measure our pain
I'll say it again
God is a Concept by which
we measure our pain
I don't believe in magic
I don't believe in I-ching
I don't believe in Bible
I don't believe in Tarot
I don't believe in Hitler
I don't believe in Jesus
I don't believe in Kennedy
I don't believe in Buddha
I don't believe in Mantra
I don't believe in Gita
I don't believe in Yoga
I don't believe in Kings
I don't believe in Elvis
I don't believe in Zimmerman
I don't believe in Beatles
I just believe in me...and that reality

The dream is over
What can I say?
the Dream is Over
Yesterday
I was the Dreamweaver
But now I'm reborn
I was the Walrus
But now I'm John
and so dear friends
you'll just have to carry on
The Dream is over

Guru of Nothing
12-13-2005, 02:25 PM
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001659292

By E&P Staff

NEW YORK A new Gallup survey released today finds that four decades after the "God Is Dead" controversy was first noted, Americans retain a strong belief in a higher power. Some 94% think God exists.

Only 5% feel God "does not exist" -- and even most of them "are not sure" of that. Exactly 1% are certain there is no God.

But how strongly do the believers believe? Nearly 8 in 10, in fact, say they are "convinced" God exists, although Gallup does not ask them why that is.

Conservatives are more likely to be convinced than liberals (87% vs. 61%), women a little more likely than men (82% vs. 73%), and residents of the South more than those in the East (88% vs. 70%).

Surprisingly, some 61% of those who seldom or never attend church are nevertheless convinced that God exists.

AND THEN?

Mr. Peabody
12-13-2005, 02:29 PM
What kind of God do these people believe in?

Bandit2981
12-13-2005, 02:57 PM
Do they mean a Christian God or just belief in a supreme creator?

Trainwreck2100
12-13-2005, 03:00 PM

I would say creator

Bandit2981
12-13-2005, 03:01 PM
I believe in one, and mine is loving and caring, not angry and vengeful

Dre_7
12-13-2005, 03:20 PM

I would have to believe they mean a creator. Cuz no way 94% of Americans follow Christs teachings. If that were the case, this country would be much different.

Mr. Peabody
12-13-2005, 03:21 PM
All my God does is drink beer and kick ass.

Oh, Gee!!
12-13-2005, 03:32 PM
All my God does is drink beer and kick ass.

He's almost out of beer

Bandit2981
12-13-2005, 04:13 PM
now heaven would be a dj
spinning dub all night long
and heaven would just kickin back
with jesus packin' my bong
and if you dont believe in jesus, then mohammad or budda too
and while the world is warring
just sit back and laugh at u

MaNuMaNiAc
12-13-2005, 04:32 PM
Funny how 94% of Americans believe in God and yet some still think that playing god is alright... interesting

JoeChalupa
12-13-2005, 05:22 PM
The scary thing is how many believe in Bush.

Brahahahahahahaha!!!! ;)

jochhejaam
12-13-2005, 06:23 PM
I would have to believe they mean a creator. Cuz no way 94% of Americans follow Christs teachings. If that were the case, this country would be much different.
The question was "do you believe in God" not "Do you follow Christ's teachings".
Knowing and Following are quite different. They should have asked how many follow God's teachings.

Trainwreck2100
12-13-2005, 06:35 PM
The question was "do you believe in God" not "Do you follow Christ's teachings".
Knowing and Following are quite different. They should have asked how many follow God's teachings.

No because this test was just to ask whether or not people believed in a higher power.

jochhejaam
12-13-2005, 06:47 PM
No because this test was just to ask whether or not people believed in a higher power.
I understand but it's such a generic question it really doesn't amount to much.

mikejones99
12-13-2005, 11:00 PM
I believe in money

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
12-14-2005, 12:35 AM
They jump into too many conclusions out of very few data in that article. It doesn't mention if they take someone who says "I belive in Allah/ Buddha/ Zeus" as a yes, or how representative the sample was.

Trainwreck2100
12-14-2005, 01:12 AM
They jump into too many conclusions out of very few data in that article. It doesn't mention if they take someone who says "I belive in Allah/ Buddha/ Zeus" as a yes, or how representative the sample was.

Yes it does

NEW YORK A new Gallup survey released today finds that four decades after the "God Is Dead" controversy was first noted, Americans retain a strong belief in a higher power. Some 94% think God exists.`

Cant_Be_Faded
12-14-2005, 01:35 AM

By E&P Staff

Something I never understood. When Robocop finally gets decommissioned and left to rust, does Murphy go to the afterlife? Or was he already in the afterlife before he became Robocop?

If that is the case, then it seems the soul can be seperated from the brain and everything within it that seemed to make a person unique (like memories). I'd hope this is not the case.

If he goes to the afterlife as Robocop, does he retain the memories he had as Robocop? Do the sins committed as Robocop go against his conscience? What if those sins were the result of his programming, or a combination of his programming and his brain?

Murphy...it's you

who must answer these questions.

gtownspur
12-14-2005, 01:47 AM
Meanwhile Cbf, what would happen if you died tomorrow and you found out that God existed, sending you to an eternal sentence for a good ol' eternal asspounding by Damien, your demon cell mate. Boy, we all know how exciting that would be for you.:lol

Maybe you should stay agnostic or atheist. Like the old saying "ignorance is bliss",..atleast for some.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-14-2005, 02:00 AM
I believe in a higher power and know in my heart of hearts that I am more in his favor than not.

gtownspur
12-14-2005, 02:05 AM
Well, i'm happy for you. As long as that keeps you going on strong and helping out others while keeping you in check, more power to you.

I don't think you should ridicule everyone else for their beliefs though. But it's a free country and i can cry if i want too.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
12-14-2005, 05:09 AM
Yes it does

No it doesn't. What about if someone gives an answer like "I believe in the force" or the person is Hinduist, Buddhist, Voodoo, Pagan, Zoroastrianist, etc.? If so, they don't believe in "God" as the headline suggests. In any case, the headline should be: "94% of Americans believe in a higer power", if that was the question asked. A higher power does not equal God.

I'm not being picky here, but from what I read, the article is badly written, or the poll was asking the wrong questions.

Trainwreck2100
12-14-2005, 11:54 AM
No it doesn't. What about if someone gives an answer like "I believe in the force" or the person is Hinduist, Buddhist, Voodoo, Pagan, Zoroastrianist, etc.? If so, they don't believe in "God" as the headline suggests. In any case, the headline should be: "94% of Americans believe in a higer power", if that was the question asked. A higher power does not equal God.

I'm not being picky here, but from what I read, the article is badly written, or the poll was asking the wrong questions.

Highher power Buddha=higher power
Hindu Gods=higher power
pagan=I believe in Pan the goat god etc.
the force=connects and governs all things in the universe. aka higher power.

spurster
12-14-2005, 12:23 PM
Here are a couple things I have never understood.

Why does God need me to believe in him? Why does God need to send me to hell if I don't? Does God need some validation? Does God lack self-esteem? I do not understand the idea of God as a vengeful tyrant king.

Why does God work as a God of the small and indirect? Examples include the still, small voice, various events as indirect signs of God's will, and the constant request for guidance. Is it so hard just to tell us clearly? Even my spouse and children can manage to get my attention by just talking clearly to me. This should not be taken as a complaint. This is a lot better than flooding the whole world or sending the Babylonians to kill, rape and pillage and send who's left alive into exile and slavery.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-14-2005, 12:26 PM
Highher power Buddha=higher power
Hindu Gods=higher power
pagan=I believe in Pan the goat god etc.
the force=connects and governs all things in the universe. aka higher power.

:lol hahahaha, awesome

MURPHY I still want my questions answered.