PDA

View Full Version : TP Interview : Duncan was ENORMOUS

Bruno
12-14-2005, 06:01 PM
Nothing great but I always like when TP give props to teammates :
http://www.tp9.net/en/itw.php?id=101

Tony, as predicted, the Clippers have caused enormous problems in last night’s win in OT at the SBC Center

The Clippers have a very, very good team. They are impressive; solid on the inside with Elton Brand who plays like an MVP. Let’s not forget about Chris Kaman against who it is extremely difficult to defend. The proof being that the got yet another double-double (14 points and13 rebounds). They played with us with the rebounds, especially in the first half. We had to really fight throughout the game. In the second half, we were able to come back thanks to our defense, mush like during the overtime as they scored only 3 points with a 0 for 9 shooting.

Popovich had put the emphasis on the defense Monday morning during the video session. Once again, Pop was right…

Absolutely, the video session was beneficial. Without our defense, we could not have win the game. With all the offensive weapons that the Clippers have, danger can come from anywhere. I mentioned earlier the inside, but the outside is well staffed with Cassel and Mobley. Maggette was not playing. They are extremely difficult to stop.

You were down by two points four seconds from the completion of the game. Tim Duncan, who was 1/11 from the free throw line stepped up to the plate and sink in the two most important free throws of the game.

When the pressure is there, Tim answers the call. Even if he had a tough evening from the free throw line, he enabled us to get a shot at the game in the overtime. He did his job as a double MVP. He was ENORMOUS with 27 points, 22 rebounds and 5 assists.

What conclusions do you get from this win ?

Following the loss in Atlanta, we were not allowed any mistake. It was a very important game for us. Pop had put the pressure on his yesterday morning, enabling us to gage ourselves. Against the Clippers, one of the best team in the NBA, we had no choice but to answer to the call.

Manu Ginobili was not on the team. Why ?

He suffered a sprain at practice. He will thus miss at least a week. Finley replaced him to perfection with 21 points and 10 rebounds. The most important was that he scored 7 of our 13 points in the overtime and two three pointers in the 4th quarter. He was also decisive to say the least.

What do you think about your game (25 points with 12/22, 7 assists, 5 rebounds) ?

I am happy as I took many outside shoots (8/17). The teams are closing the paint a lot more now, thus I had no choice. It is up to me to adapt myself in order to score differently. I will always the room to put two or three lay-ups but eight or nine like at the beginning of the season might be over. Today, I must rely on the work I have done with Chip Engelland.

Do you think that you might have scored some points for the All Star Game ?

It is not because Sam Cassell was facing us that it will change anything. I know that I will be judged upon the first forty games of the season.

We have just learned yesterday that the Spurs will be coming to France in October 2006 to play l’ASVEL in Lyon and the Maccabi Tel-Aviv in Paris. What does this represents for you ?

It will be extremely bizarre to play against a French team. I find this fun ! In 2003, I thought that I was extremely happy to play a game in Paris with the Spurs. On top of that we were NBA Champion and this enabled me to present the trophy to the French fans. To come back a second time to play two games; I am in awe for words. It will once again be heavy in emotions. I will be able to play in front of my friends, ma family. It will be great.