PDA

View Full Version : What is a harsher punishment?

Cant_Be_Faded
12-14-2005, 08:28 PM
Death penalty or life in prison.

Give a two sentence MAX response to justify your reasoning.
I want this to be an easy, non-argument, informative poll.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-14-2005, 08:30 PM
I say life in prison, because death is a shortcut, and to assume one feels punishment in the afterlife most likely means one violates one's own 'religious beliefs' by condeming another to death in the first place.

Vashner
12-14-2005, 08:37 PM
Yea 3 squares a day. Maybe some hard labor. Read a nice book. Relax and write a book...

That's no punishment.. .they got people in Mexico that are homeless going to jail just to get taco's and free laundry..

In the other one your heart stops.. yo know.. that thing...

Cant_Be_Faded
12-14-2005, 08:41 PM
In the other one your heart stops.. yo know.. that thing...

no i dont know. I have no idea what happens after one's heart stops. Actually you didn't explain your point well at all, and you used more than the requested number of sentences.

Yonivore
12-14-2005, 08:58 PM
They each have their application and neither is related to the severity of the punishment.

E20
12-14-2005, 09:08 PM
They should make it so a fat person with a huge and unwiped ass should sit on your face. You get food and air through machines.

Yonivore
12-14-2005, 09:28 PM
Why? What'd the big fat guy with the stinky butt do?

E20
12-14-2005, 09:43 PM
Get paid and eat food while taking more poops. Just bombard the guy relentlessly.

Or we can have the guy held in a cell and everyday for an hour he gets done by a horse and his wounds are repaired and he is done again for maximum damage!

Cant_Be_Faded
12-14-2005, 11:01 PM
They each have their application and neither is related to the severity of the punishment.

That may be, but I was asking what you think is the harsher punishment

Dre_7
12-14-2005, 11:05 PM
Lif in prison is harsher. I couldnt do it. Besides, to live is Christ but to die is gain.

Vashner
12-14-2005, 11:07 PM
Harsh?
Tookie had access to drugs, booze, sex, tv, dvd's, games etc. He also was rumored to have commited sexual assaults and various other organized crimes while locked up.

Sounds like a lot of fun compared to being dead.

Trainwreck2100
12-14-2005, 11:39 PM
no i dont know. I have no idea what happens after one's heart stops.

I'm pretty sure you die

Cant_Be_Faded
12-14-2005, 11:53 PM
I'm pretty sure you die

naturally but my point is how can a state of death be punishment

to me, vashner seemed to be alluding to something else besides non-existence, and what that something is, i have no idea

Nbadan
12-15-2005, 03:03 AM
When your on death row in Texas your in solitary confinement. I'm pretty sure the rules are the same in CA.

chode_regulator
12-15-2005, 03:16 AM
death penalty if it wasnt such a pussy event now. fuck that needle in the arm shit. kill them the way they killed their victims.
plus i dont want to pay for someone to spend life in jail.

AFE7FATMAN
12-15-2005, 03:33 AM
Death is harsher, Solitary in Texas Dan means you get to come out 1hr a day for Recreation, and to take a shower.

You also have access to your lawers, the Law Library, College, A Minister, Medical care, Visitation
from your family, and if you have political pull, or friends of the Hollywood type, the
Warden can authorize them to visit you.

Solitary = Private Room

SA210
12-15-2005, 03:58 AM
I think the harsher punishment goes to those in power practicing the death penalty. But that is based on my Christian beliefs, of course.

For the inmate, probably life in prison is harsher, living life never to come out, instead of dying and getting it over with.

Yonivore
12-15-2005, 06:54 AM
That may be, but I was asking what you think is the harsher punishment
I've never thought about it, your question is irrelevant to premise behind why we either execute or imprison for life. Punishment is not the goal; the demands of justice and regard to public safety are what should drive the sentencing.

Frankly, anything is too good for a capital murderer.

spurster
12-15-2005, 09:27 AM
Life in prison is harsher. At least with the death penalty, you have a good chance to make your case. No one cares about those sentenced to life.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-15-2005, 10:16 AM
I've never thought about it, your question is irrelevant to premise behind why we either execute or imprison for life. Punishment is not the goal; the demands of justice and regard to public safety are what should drive the sentencing.

Frankly, anything is too good for a capital murderer.

Okay I'll give you that one but reading the posts of alot of people in here, I saw alot of more demands for punishment than justice, which is what spurred me to make this poll.

SA210
12-15-2005, 10:47 AM
:tu on poll CBF

Useruser666
12-15-2005, 11:10 AM
I had rather face death than life, but that is just me. For others it may be the extreme opposite. For those that want life in prison rather than death be given death and those that fear life be given life? It doesn't matter which may be the percieved "harder" sentence but which is deemed just by the jury of peers.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
12-15-2005, 11:44 AM
I think there is another question that should be asked: Do we only want punishment? Is that all what prisons are for? What about rehabilitation? Isn't it possible?

JoeChalupa
12-15-2005, 12:37 PM
My butt says life in prison in a harsher punishment.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-15-2005, 06:02 PM
I had rather face death than life, but that is just me. For others it may be the extreme opposite. For those that want life in prison rather than death be given death and those that fear life be given life? It doesn't matter which may be the percieved "harder" sentence but which is deemed just by the jury of peers.

Yonivore seemed to say the same thing.

Let's take a step backward then and ask why is the death penalty considered more "just" than life in prison?

I've been reading off and on about all the tookie and execution related threads, not one person has given a good, coherent argument why a death penalty is 'more just' than life in prison. Most of the arguments seem circular.

hussker
12-15-2005, 06:16 PM
I think there is another question that should be asked: Do we only want punishment? Is that all what prisons are for? What about rehabilitation? Isn't it possible?

POSSIBLE...yes
PROBABLE...NO For MANY MANY reasons.

mookie2001
12-15-2005, 08:31 PM
hactually
Id rather die than serve life
but death is still "harsher"

Vashner
12-15-2005, 09:04 PM
You know what used to on in the tower of London?

Some freaky stuff. Stuff to make pulp fiction look like bambi....

And really it looks defensive but it was mostly used for a political prision
in medieval times.

Yonivore
12-15-2005, 10:48 PM
Okay I'll give you that one but reading the posts of alot of people in here, I saw alot of more demands for punishment than justice, which is what spurred me to make this poll.

Well, in that case, sentencing someone to death and then making them wait a lifetime, before you punch their ticket, seems pretty harsh. So, I guess I vote a combination of the two.

Yonivore
12-15-2005, 10:52 PM
Stanley "Tookie" Williams was involved in 9 aggravated assaults, in prison, between his conviction and approximately 1992 when he seriously started to think about grooming his redemptive image for a potential commutation.

Should those 9 assault victims, even though they're criminals, have been subjected to the murderous character of Mr. Williams? They should have fried him within a year of conviction and, while waiting, kept him in solitary confinement, feeding him through a slot in the door.

Yonivore
12-15-2005, 11:07 PM
**WARNING**REALITY**WARNING**VICTIMS**WARNING**

If you care to see of what "Tookie" was convicted, go here (http://www.homestead.com/prosites-prs/tookiewilliamsvictims.html)

**WARNING**REALITY**WARNING**VICTIMS**WARNING**

Yonivore
12-15-2005, 11:27 PM
Had Tookie redeemed himself?

http://www.townhall.com/opinion/columns/larryelder/2005/12/15/179161.html

Yonivore
12-15-2005, 11:32 PM
Let's hear from someone, a blogger, who lives in South Central Los Angeles

Baldilocks (http://baldilocks.typepad.com/baldilocks/2005/12/sometimes_its_o.html)

E20
12-16-2005, 02:34 AM
I still stand by my opnion

jochhejaam
12-16-2005, 07:32 AM
Humans have strong survival instincts and most Death Row inmates allow the appeals process to take it's course unimpeded (some ask that the appeals that aren't necessitated by law be dropped) so I believe they prefer life in prison over execution.

There are millions of people around the world that have not committed crimes yet have it harder than our Death Row inmates. The majority of them aren't committing suicide so we could again come to the conclusion that life, even in it's harshest forms, is preferable to death.