PDA

View Full Version : Word from WFAN New York: Artest to Spurs Strong Possibility

Pages : [1] 2

Ghost Writer
12-16-2005, 02:36 PM
I just heard on WFAN Sports Radio New York that it is down to New York, San Antonio and Dallas for the Ron Artest sweepstakes.

I want Artest!

ducks
12-16-2005, 02:37 PM
wow

ducks
12-16-2005, 02:38 PM
scola, oberto and beno for artest

tp,manu duncan and bowen must stay a spur

pache100
12-16-2005, 02:38 PM
I hope this is not true.

LilMissSPURfect
12-16-2005, 02:39 PM
marks for artest

ducks
12-16-2005, 02:40 PM
josh howard from the mavs
but howard is still hurt not sure if pacers would want him

ducks
12-16-2005, 02:41 PM
any word on who is offering what GHOST

LilMissSPURfect
12-16-2005, 02:42 PM
josh howard from the mavs
but howard is still hurt not sure if pacers would want him

howard from mavs to spurs....mavs get marks then :spin

Spurzilla
12-16-2005, 02:44 PM
I don't know how San Antonio got into that conversation -- as they say -- don't believe everything you read or hear.

Oh, Gee!!
12-16-2005, 02:45 PM
Artest would be great if he understood his role

Budkin
12-16-2005, 02:45 PM
Please God no. Artest is a total headcase. :throwupsp

Oh, Gee!!
12-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Please God no. Artest is a total headcase. :throwupsp

if he acts up, we can just put him on reserve. It's not like we'd be giving up much for him

E20
12-16-2005, 02:52 PM
I would die from laughing if the Spurs landed Artest.

Brodels
12-16-2005, 02:52 PM
What a mistake. He wants out of Indiana because he isn't getting enough touches there. Does he somehow think he's going to get more touches with Duncan, Parker, and Manu around? Unless, that is, that Manu is involved in the deal...

E20
12-16-2005, 02:55 PM
What a mistake. He wants out of Indiana because he isn't getting enough touches there. Does he somehow think he's going to get more touches with Duncan, Parker, and Manu around? Unless, that is, that Manu is involved in the deal...

HELL FUCKING NO :pctoss

FromWayDowntown
if he acts up, we can just put him on reserve. It's not like we'd be giving up much for him

With some of the rumored offers that are out there, the Pacers are likely going to get value for Artest. I wonder about this report because it seems so unlike Popovich, particularly given Pop's reaction to the Rodman fiasco.

I also don't get this idea (assuming it to be true) because I can't figure where Artest fits in a rotation that Pop has been so reluctant to change. Do you ship out Bowen who's been such a good citizen and effective player? Surely, you don't send out Manu or Parker. But if you're bringing in Artest, you have to create space at a wing spot -- do you deal Finley after he spurned others to come here? I just don't know. The realities of the situtation make me think that either there's something huge cooking and it's going to get a lot of people mad, or there's nothing to the Spurs angle here.

I guess if he could move either Rasho or Nazr, throw in a contract like Barry's and really only give up Beno while getting back Artest and any one of Indy's countless parts, it could prove to be worthwhile.

ducks
would pacers really want manu who has proved he can play only 30 minutes a night on a regualr basic?

and is already hurt 3 times in this young season
and is making what he is?

Kip Fanatic
12-16-2005, 02:57 PM
Thank God this is just a rumor.

Spurminator
12-16-2005, 02:58 PM
Maybe just a rumor floated by the Pacers to increase Artest's value... After all, who wants to see the Spurs get him?

Brodels
12-16-2005, 02:59 PM
With some of the rumored offers that are out there, the Pacers are likely going to get value for Artest. I wonder about this report because it seems so unlike Popovich, particularly given Pop's reaction to the Rodman fiasco.

I also don't get this idea (assuming it to be true) because I can't figure where Artest fits in a rotation that Pop has been so reluctant to change. Do you ship out Bowen who's been such a good citizen and effective player? Surely, you don't send out Manu or Parker. But if you're bringing in Artest, you have to create space at a wing spot -- do you deal Finley after he spurned others to come here? I just don't know. The realities of the situtation make me think that either there's something huge cooking and it's going to get a lot of people mad, or there's nothing to the Spurs angle here.

I guess if he could move either Rasho or Nazr, throw in a contract like Barry's and really only give up Beno while getting back Artest and any one of Indy's countless parts, it could prove to be worthwhile.

Budkin
12-16-2005, 03:00 PM
Unless, that is, that Manu is involved in the deal...

It would simply never happen. The fans would revolt.

Oh, Gee!!
12-16-2005, 03:00 PM

I think he'd give up Scola, Barry, and even Beno for Artest. As far as the rotation, Artest would either start or back up Manu. Either way, he'd get some good minutes. Artest is in the last year of his deal so it wouldn't be a huge risk for the spurs.

E20
12-16-2005, 03:01 PM
If we had Artest, think of the finals.

Bowen on Billups
Artest on Hamilton

Detroits backcourt is a non factor.

pache100
12-16-2005, 03:01 PM
This just in:

ARTEST, LAKERS FINED: Ron Artest's trade request will cost him $10,000, and the NBA also fined the Los Angeles Lakers $25,000 Thursday for coach Phil Jackson's comments about Toronto forward Chris Bosh.

Artest was penalized for "making public statements detrimental to the NBA." He expressed his desire to be traded from the Indiana Pacers in a Dec. 11 story in the Indianapolis Star.

The NBA said Jackson violated the league's anti-tampering rule with his comments about the Lakers' interest in Bosh when the team was in Toronto to play the Raptors on Dec. 8.

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051216/SPORTS/512160460/1002

SA210
12-16-2005, 03:03 PM
Is this true? I'd hate to see any of our guys go.

Brodels
12-16-2005, 03:04 PM

I just can't imagine that Pop would take on a player who wants to leave Indy because he isn't getting enough touches. Add to that the fact that he's been a menace everywhere he's been, and it just doesn't make sense that Pop would want to upset the apple cart.

Sure, there will be an opening at small forward in the coming years, but this certainly isn't the solution.

It's easy to think that adding talent would make the Spurs better, but it doesn't always work that way. I know that some would have liked to see a lineup of Gary Payton, Tyrone Nesby, and some other washed-up scrubs. Adding Artest would be similar in one respect: it doesn't make any sense, and there would be significant risk involved.

Dre_7
12-16-2005, 03:04 PM
You do know that if SA gets Artest, he will start in Bowens place.

You still want Artest?

ducks
12-16-2005, 03:06 PM
that was posted in the nba forum yesterday

SA210
You do know that if SA gets Artest, he will start in Bowens place.

You still want Artest?
Hell no, bring Artest off the bench, just give em alot of minutes.

Brodels
I think he'd give up Scola, Barry, and even Beno for Artest. As far as the rotation, Artest would either start or back up Manu. Either way, he'd get some good minutes. Artest is in the last year of his deal so it wouldn't be a huge risk for the spurs.

It would be a huge risk because the Spurs are about winning right now. And if anything complicated their chances this season, the trade would end up being a bad one. Remember, Artest cost his team any attempt at a title last season, and I find it hard to believe that he's going to get more touches in San Antonio. That's what he's seeking - more touches.

He's volatile, the Spurs won't be able to give him what he wants, and he'll create a logjam.

Ghost Writer
Bruce Bowen's name was linked to the trade rumors.

WFAN's Mike Francesa said, "The Spurs are already winning the champion ship. Put Artest on the team and you might as well give it to them now for the next 5 years!"

You might've seen this in the New York Post, too:

"The New York Post reports Rod Thorn placed his obligatory call to Indiana about Ron Artest. Thorn's gut feeling where Artest lands: "Somewhere West.""

:fro

Kori Ellis
12-16-2005, 03:07 PM

:lmao

If it's anyone, it would be something like Barry + Oberto.

But the Pacers want to trade him to a BAD team .. that's not the Spurs.

Dre_7
12-16-2005, 03:07 PM
It would be a huge risk because the Spurs are about winning right now. And if anything complicated their chances this season, the trade would end up being a bad one. Remember, Artest cost his team any attempt at a title last season, and I find it hard to believe that he's going to get more touches in San Antonio. That's what he's seeking - more touches.

He's volatile, the Spurs won't be able to give him what he wants, and he'll create a logjam.

Bingo. It wouldnt work, anyless Pop started Artest and made him the number 2 go-to-guy. Wont happen.

Please, no Artest!!!

SA210
12-16-2005, 03:08 PM
If Bruce leaves, I'll be pissed.

FromWayDowntown
I just can't imagine that Pop would take on a player who wants to leave Indy because he isn't getting enough touches. Add to that the fact that he's been a menace everywhere he's been, and it just doesn't make sense that Pop would want to upset the apple cart.

Agreed. So much of the Spurs' recent successes have been built on chemistry and selfless commitment to team. Artest could, I guess, fit in if he chose to, but it strikes me as unlikely. And given what the Spurs have done to line up a couple more title runs in the short term, taking that gamble doesn't seem to make a lot of sense from a basketball standpoint or a chemistry standpoint.

And again, reportedly, Pop had the chance to get Artest for Steve Smith a few years ago and turned that down. Why on Earth, with all that's happened since then, would he deal a better player for that guy?

tim_duncan_fan
Bowen and Artest on the same team?

If that happened Kobe and Ray would both go jump off a building.

Brodels
12-16-2005, 03:09 PM
Hell no, bring Artest off the bench, just give em alot of minutes.

Think about this: he's averaging almost 20 points on almost 15 shots per game. And he's saying that he wants to be traded because that's not enough for him. Do you think he would be satisfied in San Antonio given the fact that he will average less touches and points there?

Budkin
Bowen is too crucial to the Spurs success. They better not trade him. :pctoss

SA210

If it's anyone, it would be something like Barry + Oberto.

But the Pacers want to trade him to a BAD team .. that's not the Spurs.
Man i'd hate to see Barry go, but this scenario sounds better to me than others. I love Brent.

E20
Who really wants Artest on the team?

I don't, I mean we're already a lock-in for the 'ship.

Ghost Writer
12-16-2005, 03:10 PM
What would be the point of Bowen and Artest, though?

It seems like Barry would be a nice fit for Indiana and we don't really need him now that we got Finley.

Ghost Writer
12-16-2005, 03:11 PM
I want Artest.

He's a younger, better version of Bowen.

And he's nuts.

Brodels
12-16-2005, 03:11 PM

WFAN's Mike Francesa said, "The Spurs are already winning the champion ship. Put Artest on the team and you might as well give it to them now for the next 5 years!"

You might've seen this in the New York Post, too:

"The New York Post reports Rod Thorn placed his obligatory call to Indiana about Ron Artest. Thorn's gut feeling where Artest lands: "Somewhere West.""

:fro

Next five years? Do you actually think that the Spurs would break the bank to re-sign him? I can't see the Spurs handing out another big, long-term contract anytime soon, so the five years thing is a bunch of crap.

Kori Ellis
12-16-2005, 03:13 PM
What would be the point of Bowen and Artest, though?

It seems like Barry would be a nice fit for Indiana and we don't really need him now that we got Finley.

Artest wouldn't start if he came to the Spurs. He'd be a backup swingman. He's already said that he would come off the bench if he went to a good team. I don't think there's any chance he'd end up here. But just so you know, they aren't going to throw him into the starting lineup. He'd be a role player here.

The Pacers have always had a thing for Oberto. They could use a shooter in Barry. Even in ESPN Insider yesterday they said if anything, the Spurs would offer Barry + Oberto. The salaries match and everything. BUT, it's very very inplausible.

Oh, Gee!!

if he get's crazy, we bury him on the bench. His contract is up at the end of the year so we could let him go if it doesn't work. Ron could be a great addition for the spurs; but if he goes "Artest" on us, we'll let him ride pine. basically he'd be riding the same pine Oberto and Barry would be riding if we didn't get him.

pache100
I want Artest.

And he's nuts.

Younger, yes. Better? No, not IMO.

I just don't want to be afraid to go to Spurs games because we have a freakin' lunatic who starts riots on the team. I don't want him around our guys on a long-term basis. The guy's a nut-job.

SA210
12-16-2005, 03:14 PM
I wouldn't mind Artest on our team. But I don't wanna lose certain key guys. Another thing, if we did get em, I don't think Pop would put up with his childish ways.

If he came, Bruce could actually be a good mentor to him, and he could be as good or better than Bruce after Bruce is gone. considering I think Bruce is best defensive player in the game, that's alot of work for Ron.

Brodels
12-16-2005, 03:14 PM
I want Artest.

And he's nuts.

Of course you want him. He's all about flash, not winning. He's pretty much said as much by stating that it's most important for him to get more touches and score more points.

He wants to be in a place where he can get more touches. So SA isn't going to be a place he's going to want to be.

So you're telling me that you want the Spurs to trade for a guy who doesn't want to be in San Antonio, who has created problems everywhere he's been, and who is a free agent at the end of the year?

Who's your starting small forward next season if you move Bruce? Melvin Sanders?

ducks
12-16-2005, 03:15 PM
if the pacers want to send him to a bad team
knicks is the only bad team mentioned here

ducks
12-16-2005, 03:16 PM
Of course you want him. He's all about flash, not winning. He's pretty much said as much by stating that it's most important for him to get more touches and score more points.

He wants to be in a place where he can get more touches. So SA isn't going to be a place he's going to want to be.

So you're telling me that you want the Spurs to trade for a guy who doesn't want to be in San Antonio, who has created problems everywhere he's been, and who is a free agent at the end of the year?

?

he said that but he also said he would backup lebron james

Oh, Gee!!
Bowen is not going anywhere people, unless (for some odd reason) the lakers wanted to do an even trade for kobe.

Brodels
if he get's crazy, we bury him on the bench. His contract is up at the end of the year so we could let him go if it doesn't work. Ron could be a great addition for the spurs; but if he goes "Artest" on us, we'll let him ride pine. basically he'd be riding the same pine Oberto and Barry would be riding if we didn't get him.

The Eagles buried TO this season, and he continues to be a distraction. Burying a player on the bench doesn't usually get rid of the problem.

It's not about flash, it's about building a talented team with lots of chemistry that can win.

pache100
12-16-2005, 03:17 PM
Bowen is not going anywhere people, unless (for some odd reason) the lakers wanted to do an even trade for kobe.

I can't believe I'm saying this...but I'd rather have Artest than Kobe.

tim_duncan_fan
12-16-2005, 03:18 PM
The only downside I see about the possibilty of ron artest would be that he is psychotic. But mabe Pop could straighten him out. Think about this:

Bowen shuts down kobe for a half and gets tired only for us to bring Artest off the bench to continue the defensive hounding as well as score about 20. It would be great.

Oh, Gee!!
12-16-2005, 03:19 PM
Every team needs one crazy guy

Brodels
12-16-2005, 03:21 PM

That's the reason you want to trade for Artest? Good one.

SA210
12-16-2005, 03:23 PM
Clubber, keep your thoughts on Popovich to yourself.

Oh, Gee!!
12-16-2005, 03:24 PM
That's the reason you want to trade for Artest? Good one.

No, I'd rather hang onto two 3rd stringers.

SA210
12-16-2005, 03:24 PM
article on this?

tim_duncan_fan
12-16-2005, 03:25 PM

Exactly! You have to admit, at times, the spurs need a little emotional punch to get them going. Artest could be that guy if he stayed under control.

pache100
12-16-2005, 03:25 PM

Funny...we've gotten along just fine for several years now (since Rodman) without one. I haven't missed it.

article on this?

He says he heard it on the radio. I haven't been able to find anything on it.

SA210
12-16-2005, 03:26 PM
Exactly! You have to admit, at times, the spurs need a little emotional punch to get them going. He could Artest could be that guy if he stayed under control.com
Didn't yall hear? Tim is a PIMP!!!

easjer
12-16-2005, 03:26 PM
People are freaking out over a rumor.

Just a rumor people. Dallas has categorically said they are NOT interested in Artest. They do not want to give up Josh Howard, despite his injury. AJ doesn't want Artest, and Josh Howard is pretty important to long term Dallas success.

Can you seriously see Pop and Co upsetting the apple cart for a guy who has been nothing but trouble everywhere he's played? Seriously? I just can't. They've got a nice thing going here and the reason is works is buy in. Artest is the anti-thesis of buying into Pop's program. Nobody in SA wants the attention Artest will bring with him. Nobody wants that headache when they are already on their way to winning consecutive championships. They have enough problems teaching Nazr their defensive system. I can't see them pounding the offensive breakdown into Ron's head, as he sits on the bench behind Bruce and behind Manu, behind Finley, waiting for his turn for limited offense.

Kori Ellis
12-16-2005, 03:28 PM
From today's ESPN Insider ...

Who's Interested?
Hawks?
Nuggets?
Warriors?
Clippers?
Grizzlies?
Heat?
Knicks?
Kings?
Raptors?

Lakers Not In The Mix For Artest
Dec 16 - The agent for Ron Artest told the Los Angeles Daily News Thursday that the Lakers were not in the mix of teams considered the most serious contenders to trade for Artest. "It's really not on our list of priorities of teams, not that I know of yet," agent Mark Stevens said.

Today's gossip ...

If the agent for Ron Artest gets his wish, his client will remain with the Pacers, reports USA Today. "Hopefully, it won't get done, and we can iron out the differences and work past this," said Mark Stevens. "Indiana is a great city, a great organization. Both entities need each other."

The New York Post reports Rod Thorn placed his obligatory call to Indiana about Ron Artest. Thorn's gut feeling where Artest lands: "Somewhere West."

easjer
12-16-2005, 03:29 PM
Further, Indy has declared that they want to ship him to a non-contender in the Western Conf. It's unlikely he's going to NY either, especially since that is where he wants to land. They don't want to reward him for the way he's acted. Get him out, sure, reward him, nope.

They only possible reason they'd ship him to SA would be on the hope that he fucks everything and everyone here up so much that SA has a massive collapse and they don't make the Finals.

Ghost Writer
12-16-2005, 03:29 PM
You think a former defensive player of the year will have a touggh time playing D for the Spurs?

Oh, Gee!!
12-16-2005, 03:30 PM
as he sits on the bench behind Bruce and behind Manu, behind Finley, waiting for his turn for limited offense.

he wouldn't be that far down the bench

SA210
12-16-2005, 03:31 PM
You think a former defensive player of the year will have a touggh time playing D for the Spurs?
If Artest does come, he needs to hand over that award to Bruce, the rightful owner.

easjer
12-16-2005, 03:32 PM
No I think he they would have a tough time teaching him the system from top to bottom, not the defensive set.

And he sure as hell would be that far down if he's as crazy here as he's been elsewhere. Pop doesn't reward bad behavior with playing time.

Oh, Gee!!
12-16-2005, 03:34 PM
No I think he they would have a tough time teaching him the system from top to bottom, not the defensive set.

And he sure as hell would be that far down if he's as crazy here as he's been elsewhere. Pop doesn't reward bad behavior with playing time.

you have a negative attitude.

ChumpDumper
12-16-2005, 03:38 PM
you have a negative attitude.So does Ron.

Sincerely,

Donnie Walsh

T Park
12-16-2005, 03:39 PM
Barry and Oberto.

The Pacers love Oberto and Brent Barry fits the reserve guard role, or they move Jackson to SF and start Barry.

This trade makes perfect sense.

Even artest has said he would come off th ebench.

Can you imagine once again, a small lineup of

Duncan
Artest
Bowen
Ginobili
Parker

WHO WOULD SCORE ON THAT!!!

That is SICK SICK defense.

Kori Ellis
12-16-2005, 03:41 PM
If Artest only had this year left in his contract, then I'd say the Spurs would be all over him. After all, they were willing to just cut Ron Mercer in the last ($7M) year of his contract when he didn't work out. But the fact that he has 3 more years on his contract is hard to overcome. If he goes "Artest" or somehow otherwise becomes a problem, the Spurs aren't going to eat that huge of a contract.

T Park
12-16-2005, 03:45 PM
I don't think he goes Artest for this reason.

He IMO is like a Stephen Jackson.

Under strong authority role models, but RESPECTED, role models, he would behave.

IE, he has extreme respect for Tim Duncan, and more than likely Gregg Popovich.

If this trade goes down, it wont be popular, but itll be better than Rodman, because for this reason. Artest respects authority, while Rodman never did.

If this team got Artest, and only gave up Brent Barry and Fabricio Oberto?

Good god.....

70 wins here we come.

ChumpDumper
Well, if they would actually bite on Barry/Oberto, Pop might consider it as it wouldn't cost any of our main contributors. I have to think other teams have more to offer, however.

easjer
you have a negative attitude.

Yeah, that's the problem with this trade scenario. :lol

Look, my person opinion? I would love to have Artest for a steal if he could act like an adult. I've yet to see him act any way other than a boy with a huge anger management issue. He throws temper tantrums. He wants the ball more. He doesn't want to be a defensive specialist. He wants a new team. Wah wah wah.

I think, given his history, that he is beyond redemption with the Spurs. Some players could come here and change their ways and be terrific in our system. I don't think Artest buys into the basic principles of the system (unselfishness, defense, team first play). It doesn't make him a bad player. But his constant whining and antics and tempers do make him a loon. And to pull what he's just pulled after all the chances and support he's already received from a very patient team indicates that he's not ready to be a mature player.

That's not gonna fly here. He wants things to be handed to him, and he's not going to get that. He's going to earn his minutes or he's not going to play. He's going to have to fit a certain role (which *will* be behind Manu and Bruce) or he's not going to play. He's going to have to give up the ball and defer to other or he's not going to play. And he's clearly indicated that is not what he wants.

Other than that, the whole post is about a rumor. A rumor I can not give credence to, because the other aspects of the rumor have flaws as big as the one that concerns us. Dallas doesn't want him and Indy won't let NY have him. Plain and simple. If those are untrue, why would the rest be true?

T Park
12-16-2005, 03:46 PM
Like who Chump.

Serious question, not trying to be a smart ass.

Oh, Gee!!
12-16-2005, 03:47 PM
if TPARK thinks it's a good deal, it must be. TPARK is probably the most passionate Spurs fan here. He only wants what's best for the team.

Rummpd
12-16-2005, 03:49 PM
I would pull a trade for all but Duncan, Parker or Manu in a heartbeat - last night we almost lost a game vs one of many skilled and talented big men going off. Artest although not a giant is going to truly help shut down the Dirks, TMacs and Garnetts as well as anyone in the game his size for spells of a game. Could you imagine him and Bowen on the court together shutting down the whole perimeter? It is worth the risk period.

T Park
I do want whats best for the team.

Adding an all star DPOY next to Duncan, and Bowen and Ginobili is beyond a no brainer.

I stand by him being behaved under authority figures like Duncan and Pop.

He respects them, and that respect would be in good behavior.

IcemanCometh
Ghost is a fucking moron.

Artest is a crazy man, he os unreliable at best.

Kori Ellis
12-16-2005, 03:50 PM
ATLANTA HAWKS
Al Harrington is a perfect match salary-wise, but the Hawks will likely hold onto him until it's closer to the trade deadline, then move him if they feel he'll leave as a free agent. For now, they could offer Tyronn Lue ($3.5 million) and Tony Delk ($2.925 million).
Plausibility rating (Harrington): 3
Plausibility rating (Lue/Delk): 1

BOSTON CELTICS
The chances are almost zilch that Danny Ainge would offer Paul Pierce ($13.8 million) for Artest and another player. Instead, the C's could combine Brian Scalabrine ($2.6 million), Dan Dickau ($2.25 million) and Marcus Banks ($1.724 million).
Plausibility rating (Pierce): 1
Plausibility rating (Scalabrine/Dickau/Banks): 1

CHARLOTTE BOBCATS
The second-year franchise is about $3.5 million below its salary cap of $37.1 million, so the Bobcats would not have to match Artest's salary. They could offer Jumaine Jones ($1.875 million) and Kareem Rush ($3 million).
Plausibility rating (Jones/Rush): 1

CHICAGO BULLS
Back in the days of Jerry Krause, they traded Artest and Brad Miller for Jalen Rose. To get Artest back, they could offer Tim Thomas ($13.975 million) and take Austin Croshere ($7.8 million).
Plausibility rating (Thomas): 3

CLEVELAND CAVALIERS
Ron-Ron said he wouldn't mind being LeBron James' backup. Danny Ferry could offer Donyell Marshall ($4.8 million) or Eric Snow ($5.48 million) and a throw-in, but Ferry would more likely try to lump together Luke Jackson ($1.95 million), Sasha Pavlovic ($1.274 million) and Ira Newble ($2.95 million).
Plausibility rating (Marshall/Snow): 1
Plausibility rating (Jackson/Pavlovic/Newble): 1

DALLAS MAVERICKS
Plenty of possibilities, the most amenable of which (for Dallas) would be Keith Van Horn ($15.7 million) for Artest and Croshere, or a straight-up offer of Jerry Stackhouse ($8.37 million).
Plausibility rating (Various Mavs options): 4

DENVER NUGGETS
One player agent told Insider on Monday that the Nuggets were listening to offers for Kenyon Martin ($10.89 million). If Denver tried to get Artest at a cheaper price, an offer of Voshon Lenard ($3.5 million) and Nene ($3.04 million) would work.
Plausibility rating (Martin): 1
Plausibility rating (Lenard/Nene): 4

DETROIT PISTONS
They wouldn't dare bring in the player most people blame for igniting The Palace brawl last season, would they? Only if they could get him for Darko Milicic ($4.13 million) and Maurice Evans ($1.5 million).
Plausibility rating (Milicic/Evans): 2

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS
Artest could be a piece of the puzzle that would lock up a postseason berth for the Warriors, but would Chris Mullin be willing to part with a key reserve, Derek Fisher ($5.4 million), who's shooting nearly 50 percent from 3-point range?
Plausibility rating (Fisher): 2

HOUSTON ROCKETS
If Artest is looking for offensive freedom, he won't find it here behind Tracy McGrady. But Carroll Dawson could still try to get him on the cheap by offering Jon Barry ($1.8 million) and Moochie Norris ($4.2 million).
Plausibility rating (Barry/Norris): 1

LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS
Artest could turn the Clippers from an upstart into a powerhouse, but would they part with Corey Maggette ($7 million)? More likely is an offer of Chris Wilcox ($2.8 million) and Zeljko Rebraca ($3 million).
Plausibility rating (Maggette): 3
Plausibility rating (Wilcox/Rebraca): 1

LOS ANGELES LAKERS
If they could get Artest for Kwame Brown ($7.5 million), they'd do it in a second. If they could get him for Devean George ($5 million) and Stanislav Medvedenko ($3 million), they'd do it in a nanosecond.
Plausibility rating (Brown): 1
Plausibility rating (George/Medvedenko): 2

MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES
Jerry West reportedly tried to acquire Artest last season in exchange for Bonzi Wells. Indiana would probably trade Artest for Shane Battier ($4.9 million) and a throw-in, but West is not likely to make such an offer. But he might propose Brian Cardinal ($5.4 million) and a throw-in.
Plausibility rating (Battier): 3
Plausibility rating (Cardinal): 1

MIAMI HEAT
Indiana has always liked Antoine Walker ($6.88 million), who hasn't fit in all that well with his new team. If the Heat could acquire Artest, they'd have little need for James Posey ($5.9 million).
Plausibility rating (Walker): 4
Plausibility rating (Posey): 3

MILWAUKEE BUCKS
An offer of Bobby Simmons ($8 million) might get the job done, but general manager Larry Harris would first make a lowball offer of Joe Smith ($6.35 million) or a package of Dan Gadzuric ($4.75 million) and Jiri Welsch ($2.18 million).
Plausibility rating (Simmons): 2
Plausibility rating (Smith): 1
Plausibility rating (Gadzuric/Welsch): 2

MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES
Could package a strong defender, Trenton Hassell ($4.35 million), with spare parts Mark Madsen ($2 million) and Nikoloz Tskitishvili ($745,000). A better offer would include Wally Szczerbiak ($10.5 million), but Indiana would have to send back another player.
Plausibility rating (Hassell/Madsen/Tskitishvili): 3
Plausibility rating (Szczerbiak): 2

NEW JERSEY NETS
Rod Thorn is trying to find a power forward, not a small forward, and Artest would have a hard time fitting in with Richard Jefferson and Vince Carter manning the two and three spots. But if the Nets would be willing to move Carter ($13.8 million) to shake up a team in a funk, they could take back Artest and Jeff Foster ($5 million).
Plausibility rating (Carter): 3

NEW ORLEANS HORNETS
Almost $6.5 million below the salary cap, the Hornets would not have to match salaries. Bostjan Nachbar ($2.5 million), Arvydas Macijauskas ($2.5 million) and Rasual Butler ($1.3 million) are all expendable.
Plausibility rating (Nachbar/Macijauskas/Butler): 3

NEW YORK KNICKS
This is the team Artest would prefer to play for, but the Pacers are loathe to make any deals with former coach and Bird adversary Isiah Thomas, who could offer Jamal Crawford ($6.48 million) or Quentin Richardson ($6.95 million).
Plausibility rating (Crawford or Richardson): 3

ORLANDO MAGIC
For a franchise going nowhere, an infusion of Artest might get the folks in central Florida interested again. Hedo Turkoglu ($5.4 million) and Stacey Augmon ($1.14 million) would help replace some of what Indiana will be losing.
Plausibility rating (Turkoglu/Augmon): 2

PHILADELPHIA 76ERS
Willie Green could be sent to Indiana in a sign-and-trade deal if the Pacers want to take a chance on his surgically repaired knee, and the Sixers could combine his salary with that of Kyle Korver ($3.63 million), who would be expendable if Artest came aboard.
Plausibility rating (Green/Korver): 4

PHOENIX SUNS
Raja Bell ($4.25 million) and Jim Jackson ($2.64 million) would work, and if Bryan Colangelo was willing to throw in Leandro Barbosa ($930,000), he might just be able to get a deal done.
Plausibility rating (Bell/Jackson/Barbosa): 3

PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS
Ruben Patterson ($6.35 million) will likely be traded somewhere sooner rather than later, but general manager John Nash is wary of bringing in any head cases -- a category in which Artest definitely qualifies.
Plausibility rating (Patterson): 1

SACRAMENTO KINGS
The trade that everyone seems to feel makes most sense would be a straight-up swap for Peja Stojakovic ($7.5 million), but the Kings insist there have been no discussions about trading him. They'd rather move Corliss Williamson ($6 million), Brian Skinner ($4.95 million) and/or Kenny Thomas ($6.5 million).
Plausibility rating (Stojakovic): 4
Plausibility rating (Williamson/Skinner/Thomas): 1

SAN ANTONIO SPURS
Another team awash in spare parts. Indiana has always liked Argentine center Fabricio Oberto ($2.35 million), who could be combined with Brent Barry ($4.7 million) to make the salaries match. But could coach Gregg Popovich live with Artest's act? Probably not.
Plausibility rating (Oberto/Barry): 1

SEATTLE SUPERSONICS
Vladimir Radmanovic ($3.17 million) has the right to veto any trade, and he'd give up his Bird rights if he accepted one. That leaves Danny Fortson ($6.2 million) and Ronald Murray ($895,000) as the best package the Sonics would likely care to offer.
Plausibility rating (Fortson/Murray): 1

TORONTO RAPTORS
Morris Peterson ($4.55 million) would be a fit for the Pacers, but GM Rob Babcock would first try to move the dreck (Eric Williams, $3.9 million; Aaron Williams, $3.38 million) he received in the Carter trade.
Plausibility rating (Peterson): 4
Plausibility rating (Williams/Williams): 1

UTAH JAZZ
Hard to imagine a worse pairing than Artest and coach Jerry Sloan, and the guess here is that Jazz owner Larry Miller would want no part of Artest -- even if the price was only Greg Ostertag ($4.4 million) or Matt Harpring ($5.02 million) and a throw-in.
Plausibility rating (Ostertag/Harpring): 1

WASHINGTON WIZARDS
Still kicking themselves for letting Larry Hughes get away, they'd gladly cut their losses with Antonio Daniels ($5 million). But they'd also have to include a small forward, either Jared Jeffries ($2.43 million) or Jarvis Hayes ($2.01 million).
Plausibility rating (Daniels and Jeffries or Hayes): 3

From yesterday's ESPN Insider

T Park
12-16-2005, 03:51 PM
Could you imagine him and Bowen on the court together shutting down the whole perimeter?

EXACTLY!!!

Between him, Bowen, Ginobili

The Spurs would have the best perimiter defense in the history of basketball.

Players that would get Behind them would be slowed up enough for Duncan to rotate to.

EASY.

pache100
12-16-2005, 03:51 PM
IE, he has extreme respect for Tim Duncan, and more than likely Gregg Popovich.

Why would he have this respect for Tim Duncan when he didn't have it for Reggie? Why would he have it for Pop? People like Ron Artest don't respect anybody because they don't respect themselves.

SA210
12-16-2005, 03:53 PM
EXACTLY!!!

Between him, Bowen, Ginobili

The Spurs would have the best perimiter defense in the history of basketball.

Players that would get Behind them would be slowed up enough for Duncan to rotate to.

EASY.
This is sounding very interesting.

easjer
12-16-2005, 03:53 PM
if TPARK thinks it's a good deal, it must be. TPARK is probably the most passionate Spurs fan here. He only wants what's best for the team.

T Park
12-16-2005, 03:54 PM
Another team awash in spare parts. Indiana has always liked Argentine center Fabricio Oberto ($2.35 million), who could be combined with Brent Barry ($4.7 million) to make the salaries match. But could coach Gregg Popovich live with Artest's act

YES DO THE TRADE.

What they are once again forgetting, is Artest would understand going in, how he would have to act around Pop, or else the trade aint gettin done.

Plus I think Pop likes these reclamation project throw aways.

Stephen Jackson comes to mind.

SA210
12-16-2005, 03:54 PM
how tall is Artest?

tim_duncan_fan
12-16-2005, 03:55 PM
If it's possible we could get him it would be stupid not to give him a chance. The opposing guards and small forwards would be constantly shut down. We could hold perimeter based teams to like 60 points.

T Park
12-16-2005, 03:55 PM
Why would he have this respect for Tim Duncan when he didn't have it for Reggie

Read the article where Ron Artest is practically gushing over Tim Duncan.

Saying DUncan is badass and what not.

Kori Ellis
12-16-2005, 03:56 PM
how tall is Artest?

6'7, 260

In otherwords, Bowen height, but add another 70 pounds or so.

T Park
12-16-2005, 03:56 PM
how tall is Artest?

I think 6'8 6'9, Not TOTALLY sure.

His wingspan is long though.

Helloo long 3! :smokin

pache100
12-16-2005, 03:57 PM

I read the article, thanks.

There is something in it for him to be saying that NOW. He thinks it will help him in some way. I can't explain to you how Ron Artest's tiny little mind works. I still maintain that anyone who does not respect himself (and I don't believe Ron Artest knows what self-respect even is) cannot respect anyone else. The first time he got pissed off here, he would be right back in the old Ron Artest skin. It's not worth the risk.

SA210
12-16-2005, 03:57 PM

Well, also Reggie is a player, not the coach. The Spurs have a history of not putting up with crap. The Coach and the players here. I think he'd understand real quick that we'd only tolerate class.

pache100
12-16-2005, 03:59 PM
Well, also Reggie is a player, not the coach. The Spurs have a history of not putting up with crap. The Coach and the players here. I think he'd understand real quick that we'd only tolerate class.

Tim Duncan is not a coach, either, and his whole argument is based on some hype Ron was spewing about respecting Tim Duncan.

Kori Ellis
Everyone is saying that Artest would "understand" this and that and behave accordingly.

One fact that people are overlooking is that ...

He's MENTAL.

He would seriously need to be on medication and in counseling to behavior normally over a long period of time. But he thinks taking meds takes the "edge" off his game so he doesn't do it.

Just something to ponder.

SA210
Tim's not the coach, But Tim and Pop together with our ball club history speaks more than just Reggie.

pache100
12-16-2005, 04:01 PM
Everyone is saying that Artest would "understand" this and that and behave accordingly.

He's MENTAL.

He would seriously need to be on medication and in counseling to behavior normally over a long period of time. But he thinks taking meds takes the "edge" off his game so he doesn't do it.

Yep! http://tinypic.com/ioeolv.gif

T Park
12-16-2005, 04:01 PM
I like how Tim Duncan plays. I like how he just plays hard.”

You blink. It’s like Batman just mentioned his admiration for Superman.

“I remember one time Kevin Garnett was mushing him, and shoving him in the face; and Tim Duncan didn’t do anything, he didn’t react. He just kicked Kevin Garnett’s ass, and won the damn championship. You know what I’m sayin’? That’s gangsta. Everybody can show emotion, dunk on somebody, scream and be real cocky; but Tim Duncan is a…he’s a pimp.”

I show the above quote.

I also dont think Artest respected Reggie, because Reggie talked a big ass game, but never delivered on rings, just because his teams werent that good.

I dont know, there was some things internally where I think Artest might have lost respect for Reggie and what not. we will never know.

The Spurs have a history of not putting up with crap. The Coach and the players here. I think he'd understand real quick that we'd only tolerate class.

SPOT ON My friend, spot on.

SA210
12-16-2005, 04:02 PM
6'7, 260

In otherwords, Bowen height, but add another 70 pounds or so.
really.......

This is reallllly interesting. Wonder if this rumor holds any weight.

picnroll
I find this inconcievable. Only way I can see Walsh and Bird interested in talent the Spurs may have and be willing to part with is if they are apeshit over Mahinmi among other players the Spurs would part with.

T Park
Its a hunch.

I just have this feeling Artest would behave here, because of the respect factor of those around him.

pache100
12-16-2005, 04:03 PM
Tim's not the coach, But Tim and Pop together with our ball club history speaks more than just Reggie.

If he did not respect Reggie Miller, he is not going to respect Tim Duncan when the going gets tough. And the argument collapses.

easjer
12-16-2005, 04:03 PM

He's MENTAL.

YES. Thank you. I could not phrase it any more clearly than this. Exactly.

rl64tx
12-16-2005, 04:04 PM
Its a hunch.

I just have this feeling Artest would behave here, because of the respect factor of those around him.

You don't think he would turn his back on the team during the playoffs?? hmmmm???

ducks
12-16-2005, 04:05 PM
if spurs won with artest he would behave
pacers have been struggling
winning cures alot of things

pache100
12-16-2005, 04:05 PM
You don't think he would turn his back on the team during the playoffs?? hmmmm???

In a beer-cup-tossing heartbeat.

Ghost Writer
12-16-2005, 04:06 PM
I see that after all these years, IceMan still has done nothing to distinguish herself from the rest of the pack. Die slow, b1tch.

You are a skidmark of Spurs fandom.

Artest is a top 20 player and would thrive in our system.

We could've had him for Steve Smith for in 2001.

Let's not miss another opportunity.

rl64tx
12-16-2005, 04:06 PM
In a beer-cup-tossing heartbeat.

:lmao:lmao:lmao

Kori Ellis
12-16-2005, 04:08 PM
I see that after all these years, IceMan still has done nothing to distinguish herself from the rest of the pack. Die slow, b1tch.

You are a skidmark of Spurs fandom.

Artest is a top 20 player and would thrive in our system.

We could've had him for Steve Smith for in 2001.

Let's not miss another opportunity.

I wouldn't mind the risk. I'm not sure the Spurs will want to risk it for the length of time on his contract though.

Plus, as Chump said, other teams have more to offer than the Spurs do. Unless you guys are offering Ginobili or something?

tim_duncan_fan
12-16-2005, 04:09 PM
Unless you guys are offering Ginobili or something?

If I was the GM I would do it, if I knew he would behave. However, I know there would be fans who would hate Artest whether he behaved or not, simply because Manu would have been traded for him.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
12-16-2005, 04:10 PM

He's MENTAL.

I agree, he's a timebomb waiting to explode. The man can play, I don't deny that, that would be stupid. But his discipline record speaks for itself. One little thing to ignite him, and he's gone mental.

easjer
12-16-2005, 04:11 PM
Its a hunch.

I think that's too much of a risk. If it paid out, I would not be opposed to Artest in a Spurs uniform. But it hasn't paid out anywhere else. Carlisle is a good coach - no respect. Reggie was a great player in the game - no respect. His team stood behind him from players to coaches to managers when he screwed up in one of the biggest ways possible. They didn't try to deal him or cut him or do anything but be publicly supportive and embrace him when he returned. He OWED them respect and this is what they've gotten for it.

Not gonna happen here. Even if he does like Timmy.

Oh, Gee!!
12-16-2005, 04:12 PM
We don't like players from other teams. We only want players that we drafted. To hell with free agency and trades.

Brodels
12-16-2005, 04:16 PM
We don't like players from other teams. We only want players that we drafted. To hell with free agency and trades.

That's simply not the issue at all. I think the Finley signing was pretty well accepted. People seemed to think the NVE signing was O.K. The Spurs didn't draft Bowen, and he seems to be well-liked. People liked Marie Elie, AJ, Steve Kerr, SJax, and whole host of players that the Spurs didn't draft.

If we were talking about anyone other than the biggest nutcase in the league, this trade might have a ton of support. People realize that he's talented, but he's a huge risk. And when you've got a championship team and things are going well, it just doesn't make sense to make a move like that.

And, quite frankly, it's simply not going to happen.

Kip Fanatic
12-16-2005, 04:17 PM
I will just wait and see. I didn't think the Spurs would acquire Van Exel nor Finley and they did. I wanted them to get those above-mentioned, but didn't think they'd actually be in a Spurs uniform.

So, I will wait and see.

MaNuMaNiAc
12-16-2005, 04:23 PM

He's MENTAL.

You serious Kori? Is he really schizo? I just thought he had a temper problem, but it turns out he is crazy instead? http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

Kori Ellis
12-16-2005, 04:26 PM
You serious Kori? Is he really schizo? I just thought he had a temper problem, but it turns out he is crazy instead? http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

I've never asked him myself; so I can't testify to it. But it has been in many articles over the years that he is supposed to be on meds, but he doesn't take them.

Artest was requested to seek psychological help while on the roster of the Chicago Bulls, but he reportedly refused and went so far as to throw his prescribed medications away.

ChumpDumper
12-16-2005, 04:31 PM
http://www.louholtzhalloffame.com/honorees/98/regis.gif
I'm telling you, this guy is bonkos!

Streakyshooter08
12-16-2005, 04:34 PM
I think the only player Indiana would be interested in is Gino, they would get a good SG in return an that is what they might look for...

...I don't think it will happen but I wonder how these rumors start?! Do you think they just make them up? I wonder how the know more than the insiders and league sources... I believe the Spurs aren't even intersted exept Indiana would take Barry/ Oberto but I highly doubt it.

Kori Ellis
12-16-2005, 04:36 PM
PLEASE SEEK HELP

November 23, 2004

Artest is a tempting target for ridicule. He is as oblivious to reality as Latrell Sprewell, who recently huffed that his multimillion-dollar salary offer wasn't enough to feed his family.

You don't have to be a mental health professional to see that Artest needs a mental health professional and possibly an entire psychiatric task force.

The Chicago Bulls have been there, tried that, after Artest upended 500-pound exercise machines in their facility, and zinged basketballs, hard at the heads of teammates in the locker room. The psychiatrist prescribed medications, which Artest refused to take.

The legal system took its shot too. Artest was undergoing court-ordered anger-management therapy (the result of a non-basketball incident) last January when he flew into a rage at Madison Square Garden and destroyed a $100,000 camera and monitor.

The NBA has tried fines and suspensions -- this latest and longest is his 11th in four seasons plus three weeks.

Friday was powerful evidence that nothing has worked.

The thing about mental illness, or any illness for that matter, is that the patient can't be helped unless he admits there's a problem and wants to get better.

An individual with untreated heart trouble will eventually keel over somewhere and his life will be saved, or not, by paramedics and emergency-room doctors.

MaNuMaNiAc
12-16-2005, 04:36 PM
http://www.louholtzhalloffame.com/honorees/98/regis.gif
I'm telling you, this guy is bonkos!
http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

Ghost Writer
12-16-2005, 04:44 PM
If the Spurs won without Artest, even in the offchance that he snapped on our team, it's not like losing him in the playoffs would spell doom for the team.

He was the Pacers first or second best player.

On the Spurs, he'd be the third or fourth best and the Spurs have won without him.

It's all upside here.

Kori Ellis
12-16-2005, 04:46 PM
If the Spurs won without Artest, even in the offchance that he snapped on our team, it's not like losing him in the playoffs would spell doom for the team.

But why would they want to pay him for 3 years if he wasn't contributing here?

Like I said, if he had one year left, they'd probably risk it.

He has this year, plus two more seasons plus another season as a player option I believe.

easjer
12-16-2005, 04:50 PM
Except that he could potentially injure another player in the course of snapping.

Except that he could seriously disrupt the locker room.

Except that he could very much distract from what they are trying to accomplish if he becomes a huge nuisance.

Except that every indicator he's given is that he does not want to he the third or fourth best player and wants stat lines more than championships.

Except that one of the things that makes the Spurs winners (from 99 onwards) is their team chemistry and lack of drama. They are good guys that play well together.

Excepting all of that, he'd be ideal. So would LeBron James, except for his large salary. I mean, if we're talking fantasy . . . it's wonderful. In real life? Doubtful and risky at best. Not worth it, when what we've got is working.

Oh, Gee!!
12-16-2005, 04:50 PM
zinged basketballs, hard at the heads of teammates in the locker room

:lol :lol :lol

good old Ron.

Oh, Gee!!
12-16-2005, 04:51 PM
But why would they want to pay him for 3 years if he wasn't contributing here?

Like I said, if he had one year left, they'd probably risk it.

He has this year, plus two more seasons plus another season as a player option I believe.

are you for sure about the 3 years? I thought this was his last year

Que Gee
12-16-2005, 04:53 PM
If it would only take Barry + Oberto

Good god.....

70 wins here we come.

EXACTLY...Thats a fucking joke. There is no way the Spurs are going to get Artest for those two players...

Oh, Gee!!
12-16-2005, 04:54 PM
Que Gee, cool name

Kori Ellis
12-16-2005, 04:54 PM
are you for sure about the 3 years? I thought this was his last year

Yes I'm sure.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-16-2005, 04:57 PM
-----has anyone seen the report earlier this morning on espn cold pizza about how an ABA team wants to trade some player with the last name of Gill who goes by "White Choclate" for Ron Artest, they know it's against the rules to do inter-league trades, but they're vouching for it and think "anything can happen"

just wondering if anyone else heard about this.

td4mvp21
12-16-2005, 04:59 PM
The only way I can see Artest on this team is if we give up Ginobili and Parker. With our big three AND him, it just wouldn't work-too many players would want a lot of touches. Why do we even need Artest? He ruins chemistry and has a bad attitude. I don't really think the majority of fans would appreciate him.

Extra Stout
12-16-2005, 05:02 PM
The only benefit I can see in acquiring Ron Artest would be for future seasons when Bruce Bowen is in the twilight of his career.

For this season, he serves little purpose. With the current lineup, the Spurs are going to win the Western Conference unless Tim Duncan gets hurt. Artest is not insurance for a Duncan injury. At best, he would be superfluous. At worst, he would disrupt team chemistry and spoil a potential title repeat.

Spurzilla
12-16-2005, 05:03 PM
People with mental issues don't think the same way the average person thinks. If you haven't interacted on a daily basis with people who struggle with these kinds of issues then you can't understand how radically different these people think, compared to the average person.

To say that Artest will respect Duncan although he has already demonstrated he didn't respect his teammates, coach, or the rest of the Pacers Organization just doesn't make any sense.

Kori posted an article that mentioned Artest was prescribed medication, which he doesn't take. This tends to be the case with many people who are prescribed meds to treat their condition. They are on them for awhile, see that they're better, then think they don't need them anymore and they will be ok. Generally, that is not the case.

From a business point of view, it just isn't worth the risk, IMHO.

Mixability
12-16-2005, 05:07 PM
I don't, I mean we're already a lock-in for the 'ship.

Season's not even half over, avoid the jinx, stay humble.

Oh, Gee!!
12-16-2005, 05:13 PM
He looks normal to me

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3339.jpg

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
12-16-2005, 05:19 PM
He looks normal to me

Yeah

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/_photos/2005/05/08/2005-05-08-inside-artest.jpg
http://adweek.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/artest.jpg
http://www.dailybull.com/artest1.jpg
http://homepages.wmich.edu/~w2thomps/artest.jpg
http://ro1.chinabroadcast.cn/mmsource/images/2004/11/23/artest.jpg

Oh, Gee!!
12-16-2005, 05:21 PM
Detroit fans deserve that treatment and worse, IMO. They are menaces. Why do you care about those fuckers? If I never hear "DEEEEETROIT BASKETBALLLLL" again it will be too son.

SilverPlayer
12-16-2005, 05:21 PM
This might be a weird suggestion, but could we get him and include a mental examination as part of his physical? It may be without precedent, but it might be a way to take a look at him without necessarily committing to him.

easjer
12-16-2005, 05:25 PM
Detroit fans deserve that treatment and worse, IMO. They are menaces. Why do you care about those fuckers? If I never hear "DEEEEETROIT BASKETBALLLLL" again it will be too son.

Oh, yes, absolutely. A guy who was just watching a game he paid to see, rooting for his team, should certainly be attacked by a player rushing the stands, because his team is the Detriot Pistons.

:rolleyes

Do you ever read what you post?

Ghost Writer
12-16-2005, 05:27 PM
You get him on the Spurs and show him how to be a professional and I am telling you that he will be fine.

He is begging for a fresh start and a place to win.

ShoogarBear
12-16-2005, 05:30 PM
The Chicago Bulls have been there, tried that, after Artest upended 500-pound exercise machines in their facility, and zinged basketballs, hard at the heads of teammates in the locker room. The psychiatrist prescribed medications, which Artest refused to take.

So apparently he actually did get a formal psychiatrict evaluation (as opposed to what was claimed in an earlier post). I wonder what the diagnosis was.

Certianly there are lots of medications that could potentially hamper the performance of an NBA-level player. While it would probably be better for him as a person to be on meds, it might make him no longer a top-tier player.

ChumpDumper
12-16-2005, 05:32 PM
Do we have a credible black assistant coach to show him how to be professional?

smeagol
12-16-2005, 05:32 PM
As somebody posted, touches is the problem. Trading Beno + Oberto + Barry would still be a problem because you're left with TD, TP, Manu, Michael, Nick, Rasho, Bruce, Nazr and on top of that Artest. That roster is out of this world, but there are not enouhg touches for all those guys.

Kori Ellis
12-16-2005, 05:33 PM
So apparently he actually did get a formal psychiatrict evaluation (as opposed to what was claimed in an earlier post). I wonder what the diagnosis was.

Certianly there are lots of medications that could potentially hamper the performance of an NBA-level player. While it would probably be better for him as a person to be on meds, it might make him no longer a top-tier player.

The article I posted isn't the only one of its kind. Supposedly teams have gotten him to a psychiatrist several times and he has thrown his prescribed meds out repeatedly. He keeps saying that he loses his competitiveness on meds.

spurs=bling
12-16-2005, 05:34 PM
i don't know about Ron coming to the spurs.
that would mean they would trade one of our guys, and right now we should keep our team from last year and go for the title again.
it would take awhile for him to get used to the system, and right now that is the last thing the spurs need.
he should be put on an other team and try to give the team he goes to a chance to get somewhere, and he could be a starter not coming off the bench. they spurs right now are fine the way they are.

Kip Fanatic
12-16-2005, 05:35 PM
As tempting as it sounds, I like the Spurs the way they are now. Ron Artest in MY OPINION is too much of a risk. Things are working pretty good right now without him. I guess I am trying to say, "if it ain't broke, why fix it?"

Oh, Gee!!
12-16-2005, 05:37 PM
Oh, yes, absolutely. A guy who was just watching a game he paid to see, rooting for his team, should certainly be attacked by a player rushing the stands, because his team is the Detriot Pistons.

:rolleyes

Do you ever read what you post?

I think every team in the NBA should be allowed to designate one player to go into the stands at the Palace and beat up one unsuspecting Piston fan late in the 4th quarter.

howard2
12-16-2005, 05:41 PM
It would be a big mistake to trade Bruce Bowen.

Ron Artest rumors are: he might be going to Toronto or the Hornets.
Danny Granger of Indiana looks like a good player.

ShoogarBear
12-16-2005, 05:42 PM
He keeps saying that he loses his competitiveness on meds.

And that's quite probably true. Not saying he's doing the right thing, but that may be the trade-off.

spurs=bling
12-16-2005, 05:47 PM
Ron Artest rumors are: he might be going to Toronto or the Hornets.
Danny Granger of Indiana looks like a good player.

teams like that are perfect for him

howard2
12-16-2005, 05:51 PM
Indiana Star
By Mark Montieth
Dec 16, 2005
Link: Indy-Star (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051216/SPORTS04/512160470)

Who wants to trade for Ron Artest?
The All-Star forward seems to be a wanted man among players, but a few destinations make more sense than the rest

If it were up to the players around the NBA, Ron Artest would have been traded by now and the Indiana Pacers would have received reasonable value in return.

Players don't make trades, though; they only request them. Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh faces the challenge of finding a general manager, president or owner from one of the league's other 29 teams who is willing to invest risk capital on an unpredictable All-Star forward.
Walsh didn't have much of an update Thursday, which is how it goes during trade talks. Until something can be agreed upon, it's all just friendly conversation.

Walsh has talked with representatives from 15-20 teams. In most cases, he took the call rather than placed it, but offers have not been made in every conversation.

He's resigned to the fact he won't get a player or players as talented as Artest. He's just hoping to get as close as possible, and it seems likely he'll have to work a deal involving more than two teams.
He's been on the phone often with team president Larry Bird, who left Saturday for a 10-day scouting mission in Europe. Walsh will work on the trade alone but will involve Bird in the decision.

If nothing else, the trade demand Artest made shows how big of a shadow he casts throughout the NBA. He's the talk of the league, muffled only partially by the hoopla surrounding Pat Riley's return to Miami's bench. A beat reporter or columnist for virtually every team has felt it necessary to weigh in on whether Artest would fit into the local scenario.
While columnists generally say no to trading for Artest, the vibes from players are more positive.

Boston Celtics forward Paul Pierce, who's had many bruising battles with Artest over the years, would love to have him on his side for a change.
"Without question, I definitely wouldn't mind going to war with Ron Artest," Pierce told the Boston Herald.

Golden State's players were of the same mind-set.
"He's one of the top players in this league," Jason Richardson told the Contra Costa Times. "To get a guy like that . . ."
"He'd be great (for us)," Troy Murphy added. "It's too quiet around here."
Nearly one week after Artest asked out of Indianapolis, it remains too early to predict with any certainty where he'll land next, particularly when three-team deals are being discussed. But there's at least a thread of logic leading to five teams:
Golden State

Chris Mullin, who is in charge of the Warriors' personnel, played three seasons for the Pacers and has a strong relationship with Bird and Walsh. He also attended St. John's, like Artest, and knows Artest from the times they crossed paths during offseason workouts on campus.
Mullin also knows that players aren't always as bad as their reputations suggest from having played with Latrell Sprewell in Golden State.
The Warriors (13-8) appear headed for the playoffs but are in no position to challenge for a championship. A player such as Artest could make a major difference.

One Golden State player told the Contra Costa Times he had heard talk of a deal involving Mike Dunleavy and Adonal Foyle for Artest and Jeff Foster.
Besides, Artest's self-assigned nickname is "Tru Warier." Perhaps he would be a good fit for the Warriors?
Toronto

The Raptors are 4-18 and have nothing to lose but a lot more games.
The Toronto Sun reported a rumor of a deal that would send Artest and the Pacers' second-round draft pick Erazem Lorbek, who is playing one more season in Italy, for Morris Peterson and another player, perhaps Matt Bonner.
The Raptors also have two first-round draft picks for next summer and are willing to trade one of them.

Los Angeles
Both the Lakers and Clippers make sense as a destination for Artest, as does the city of L.A.

Lakers coach Phil Jackson recently called Artest "one of the most valuable players in the league," and "a terrific player who adds a big dimension to every game he plays in" in an interview with Los Angeles reporters.
The Lakers have been trying to trade Devean George, Chris Mihm and Slava Medvedenko. They also might be willing to part with Lamar Odom as part of a package deal.

The Clippers, like Golden State, could take a major step toward title contention with Artest. He's close with Elton Brand, a former teammate with the Chicago Bulls and their New York AAU team.

Starting forward Corey Maggette, who averages 21.7 points but doesn't defend well, is a salary match for Artest but is likely more than the Clippers want to give up.
Miami

President/coach Pat Riley would command Artest's respect more than most coaches, and he's certainly proved his willingness to make deals.
Although the Heat are 2-0 since Riley returned to the bench, they're likely to be stuck in Detroit's dust like everyone else in the Eastern Conference.

There's a hole at small forward that could be perfect for Artest, who would like to live in Miami. Backup forward Antoine Walker happens to be a salary match, and Bird has always spoken highly of the former Celtic.

efrem1
12-16-2005, 05:55 PM
Ron Artest = big headache. Nuf said.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
12-16-2005, 05:59 PM
I'd love to see Ron-Ron in a Spurs' uni. He'd eventually tear down what took years to build...

spurs=bling
12-16-2005, 06:05 PM
I'd love to see Ron-Ron in a Spurs' uni. He'd eventually tear down what took years to build...

then i would hate him for that

bonesinaz
12-16-2005, 06:22 PM

He's MENTAL.

You are exactly right Kori. If he is not on his meds, forget it. He would be 100x worse than Rodman IMO. He does not admit to being mentally ill and he will not stay on his meds. That is classic bipolar behavior. He should never be a Spur.

smdanss
12-16-2005, 06:23 PM
As long as we still keep Duncan, Manu, Parker and Bowen, I would agree to give this guy a try.

But who else the Indy may get from us in return?

So I don't it will happen. :elephant

GO SPurs Go
12-16-2005, 06:28 PM
Please God no. Artest is a total headcase. :throwupspExactly, Artest is a piece of disloyal shit. After all the trouble those Indiana players got in to try to defend his unresponsible actions, he just leaves them. Artest is a selfish sonofabitch. He should be traded to the hawks not to the Spurs.

sanman53
12-16-2005, 06:41 PM
I am glad this is rumor. I do not even want to think about trading anyone from this current Spurs team. I like our team now and I think we are going to be unstoppable Feb-June!

GO SPURS GO!

bdubya
12-16-2005, 06:54 PM
He looks normal to me

Look again:

http://tinypic.com/igxetv.gif

(Props to Pache for the gif)

Marcus Bryant
12-16-2005, 06:56 PM
Artest is fucking mental. If he was in the last year of his contract I could see the Spurs perhaps taking a flyer on him. The Spurs' "interest" is being floated to force someone to pony up something worthwhile for the Pacers.

Tobias
12-16-2005, 07:05 PM
Now, I may be biased (as I have a Spurs Rodman #10 and Pacers Artest #91 jerseys), but I say bring on Ron if we can get him with little sacrifice.

SpursWoman
12-16-2005, 07:05 PM
Look again:

http://tinypic.com/igxetv.gif

(Props to Pache for the gif)

T Park
12-16-2005, 07:09 PM
Artest is fucking mental. If he was in the last year of his contract I could see the Spurs perhaps taking a flyer on him. The Spurs' "interest" is being floated to force someone to pony up something worthwhile for the Pacers.

If the Spurs don't trade for him.

Wouldn't that be "cheap"

ChumpDumper
12-16-2005, 07:28 PM
What is the longest self-ban on record?

Two, maybe three days?

spurs=bling
12-16-2005, 07:29 PM
this is ron

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/waffen/violent-smiley-011.gif

and this was him with the pistons fans

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/sauer/angry-smiley-038.gif

T Park
12-16-2005, 07:35 PM
Classic.

Not one person wants an All star, DPOY, for peanuts.

Classic.

Marcus Bryant
12-16-2005, 07:47 PM
Anyone recall Rodman's tenure in SA?

ducks
12-16-2005, 07:50 PM
ron has behaved this year
not sure I want him but he has behaved
I can see him wanting a fresh start
pacers are not winning so he wants out

again winning fixes alot of things

Marcus Bryant
12-16-2005, 07:51 PM
On paper, Dennis Rodman helped to form the perfect frontline with DRob and Sean Elliott. In action, he cost the Spurs a championship.

The Spurs don't need to stir the pot in order to win another.

ducks
12-16-2005, 07:52 PM

Management wouldnt trade Manu right now for Ray Allen, Michael Redd, or say Steve Francis. Why would we give him up for Artest?

I am not so sure management would not give up manu for ray allen

managment knows how injury prone manu is this year and how many years left he has on his contract
and his trade value is high

ChumpDumper
12-16-2005, 07:56 PM
The Pacers are only 4.5 games behind Detroit for Pete's sake. Ron turned his back on all those who stood by him after the biggest fuckup in NBA history. I'd have reservations even if the price were only Oberto/Barry.

ducks
12-16-2005, 07:59 PM
those that do not want him which of these players would you hate worse in a spur uniform

shaq
kobe
ron artest
steve Francis
mailman

Dre_7
12-16-2005, 07:59 PM
Personally, Id like to see him go to the Lakers. That way hed NEVER get the touches he is seeking!! :lol

ducks
12-16-2005, 08:01 PM
The Pacers are only 4.5 games behind Detroit for Pete's sake. Ron turned his back on all those who stood by him after the biggest fuckup in NBA history. I'd have reservations even if the price were only Oberto/Barry.

rumor was though jackson and oneal were fighing after the loss to the hawks

players could be fighting in pacer land and he wants out of there

ChumpDumper
12-16-2005, 08:01 PM
Starting with worst:

Kobe
Ron
Mailman
Francis
Shaq

Dre_7
12-16-2005, 08:03 PM
How would anyone hate shaq with the Spurs?

Just imagine Shaq and Duncan! Together!!!

Theyd OWN the paint! No possible way to stop that!

ChumpDumper
12-16-2005, 08:04 PM
players could be fighting in pacer land and he wants out of thereHe didn't say that. He said he wanted more touches and didn't like playing for Carlisle.

SenorSpur
12-16-2005, 08:05 PM
There's no way the Spurs would be able to afford him when his contract is up during summer of '07. Plus, I can't see R.C. and Pop jepoardizing team chemistry this way.

SA210
12-16-2005, 08:11 PM
I think every team in the NBA should be allowed to designate one player to go into the stands at the Palace and beat up one unsuspecting Piston fan late in the 4th quarter.Yo, I'll be fightin' in the Palace soon. Mick always said ta me; if a bum wants to come at ya from da stands; just stick and move; side ta side, ya know like a windshield wipa. That's what Mick always said ta me.

ducks
12-16-2005, 08:18 PM
He didn't say that. He said he wanted more touches and didn't like playing for Carlisle.

I would not believe everything a player says publically

he may have his reasons why he does not like carlisle
oneal wanted thomas not rick

what players say privately are more likely to be true

ChumpDumper
12-16-2005, 08:20 PM
I would not believe everything a player says publicallySure, I will let his actions speak for him:

1) Attacking fans.

2) Quitting.

Not sure which is worse.

SA210
12-16-2005, 08:24 PM
KoMe needs to stay his selfish butt over there in LA.

mikejones99
12-16-2005, 08:45 PM
People thought Van Exel is mental too. Mad Max went into the stands too. 87% of the palace crowd is mental, on medication and needs to be beaten to a pulp by NBA players. Stephen Jackson, Ron artest and Jermaine O Neal should have been rewarded.

King
12-16-2005, 09:06 PM
Did anyone actually hear this rumor besides Ice? It's not on any other boards.

ChumpDumper
12-16-2005, 09:08 PM
It was Casper, and he didn't even say which show it was. Flimsy rumor at best.

King
12-16-2005, 09:10 PM
My bad - Ghost, rather. For a station as big as WFAN, you'd think the rumor would be somewhere else.

mookie2001
12-16-2005, 09:27 PM
not even bullshit trade of the year material

Mihm, Odom for J ONeal, Artest
and
B Wallace, R Wallace for Garnett are much more laughable

SPURS21
12-16-2005, 09:59 PM
I'd shit a brick if this happened

This shouldn't even be compared to the Rodman trade.

First of all Brent Barry is shit and virtually worthless, Fabrico is pretty shitty too.

Second Artest is arguably the best perimeter defender in the game, now imagine him workin' within the best defensive system in the game, a system where sub par defenders are turned into quality defensive minded players.

Third it's not like we would be depending on Artest and hoping he pans out, if he doesn't he can ride the pine till we can get rid of him. With a healthy Ginobilli, Finley, Beno and Van Excel on the bench Barry is totally tradeable.

Fourth this is a chance to get a top 20 player for literly nothing, and a prominent replacement for Bowen. Artest is like Lebron James with Bruce's defensive skills.

Fifth Artest will always have some kind of trade value, there is always going to be a team that shows interest. If neeed be we can flip him and recoop our losses, really I don't see much risk here....

mookie2001
12-16-2005, 10:04 PM
artest is in no way like lebron james

SPURS21
12-16-2005, 10:57 PM
artest is in no way like lebron james

I should have specified, im referring to his frame and athletic ability

TDMVPDPOY
12-16-2005, 11:03 PM
to get artest, barry is gone and one of the centers are gone too

nkdlunch
12-16-2005, 11:10 PM
I can bet my house and everything in it Artest won't come to Spurs.

thank God

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-16-2005, 11:45 PM
Y'all are nuts. Many here on this site have run around with a virtual hard on for Stephen Jackson since his tenure with the Spurs, and he's arguably every bit the head case that Artest is.

Shit, Artest has called Duncan out as a pimp, having mad game. Dude wants to win. It's not the touches, he's looking for a fresh start.

In a family environment like the Spurs he would be fine. Right now he's got two punk ass bitches as teammates in JO'Neal and Buckets. Too many thugs for one team.

With the family structure in place in the Spurs organization, they could bring him in and make him a part of it and nurture him. Let Bowen be his mentor and you have the most dynamic perimeter defense in the league.

Think about it like football - Artest + Bowen would give the Spurs two cover corners, letting the rest of the team really ratchet things up defensively. We have a couple of guys who are difficult covers for Bowen that Artest would be great at (guys like Wade and Dirk).

People seem to forget this team, if not for the penultimate clutchness of Robert Horry, would have lost to the Pistons last year. In case you hadn't noticed, Detroit is killing people while the Spurs are eeking out wins.

You get Artest and you suddenly can shut down Rip and Chauncey with Bruce and Ron, and then the Pistons don't have anyone to do the lifting at the offensive end to score enough for Detroit.

I suspect our offering is some combination of Nazr/Rasho (probably Nazr) along with one of Barry/Oberto. Indy needs some inside muscle with injuries plaguing their front line, and they also need perimeter scoring. Nazr + Barry would be the perfect combination, throw in Oberto to put the deal over the top if Indy has a hard on for the guy.

T Park
12-16-2005, 11:50 PM
Detroit is killing people while the Spurs are eeking out wins

Its December.

Who cares.

Other than that, your right on.

Aggie is onboard the Bring Artest to SA bandwagon.

Jump on now! :fro

E20
12-17-2005, 12:01 AM
Artest wouldn't fit in SA, he's always been 'me' first in Indiana, he got pissed because people were giving JO MVP nominations, but not him; he even claimed to be the MVP of the league two years ago. Artest wants to score and pad his stats, something he can't do here because even the best player in the league is having trouble averaging over 20 points a game because of the depth we have here. Artest would basically take shots away from our big three and away from Finley, NVE, Barry, Horry, Rasho, Nazr etc,

If Artest were in SA, I could see him averaging 18 PPG.

Obstructed_View
12-17-2005, 12:13 AM
no, artest is about twice as good. 1.offense 2. defense
LOL Artest is as good as LBJ in one place: His own melon head.

Vashner
12-17-2005, 12:29 AM
Spurs are not about to ruin team chemistry with some dude that is proven to loose his cool or freak out to make a "rap cd". etc....

The rest of the league does not get it... It's about Sportsmanship and heart.. not just skill...

Artest can play ball.. but he's no better than your average HEB bag boy as far as contributing to society... if anything he's dumber than your average 5th grader.

UH DUH My name artest .. what you want fight.. let's go... wait i am gonna rap.. you like? uhh.. huh huh..

T Park
12-17-2005, 12:36 AM
Yawn.

I guess Stephen jackson was mentally "stable" when he was with the Spurs too huh?

mikejones99
12-17-2005, 01:10 AM
Spurs just need to get healthy and they can take care of Detroit. Miami can be there too.

kskonn
12-17-2005, 01:10 AM
Y'all are nuts. Many here on this site have run around with a virtual hard on for Stephen Jackson since his tenure with the Spurs, and he's arguably every bit the head case that Artest is.

Shit, Artest has called Duncan out as a pimp, having mad game. Dude wants to win. It's not the touches, he's looking for a fresh start.

In a family environment like the Spurs he would be fine. Right now he's got two punk ass bitches as teammates in JO'Neal and Buckets. Too many thugs for one team.

With the family structure in place in the Spurs organization, they could bring him in and make him a part of it and nurture him. Let Bowen be his mentor and you have the most dynamic perimeter defense in the league.

Think about it like football - Artest + Bowen would give the Spurs two cover corners, letting the rest of the team really ratchet things up defensively. We have a couple of guys who are difficult covers for Bowen that Artest would be great at (guys like Wade and Dirk).

People seem to forget this team, if not for the penultimate clutchness of Robert Horry, would have lost to the Pistons last year. In case you hadn't noticed, Detroit is killing people while the Spurs are eeking out wins.

You get Artest and you suddenly can shut down Rip and Chauncey with Bruce and Ron, and then the Pistons don't have anyone to do the lifting at the offensive end to score enough for Detroit.

I suspect our offering is some combination of Nazr/Rasho (probably Nazr) along with one of Barry/Oberto. Indy needs some inside muscle with injuries plaguing their front line, and they also need perimeter scoring. Nazr + Barry would be the perfect combination, throw in Oberto to put the deal over the top if Indy has a hard on for the guy.

agreed.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-17-2005, 01:24 AM
I'd love to have artest on SA. but like most things when it comes to trade rumors and the spurs, i dont see this happening. artest is a hot trade topic so people will say anything to start a hot discussion. the chances of artest actually coming here will be like 3%.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
12-17-2005, 01:51 AM
People thought Van Exel is mental too. Mad Max went into the stands too. 87% of the palace crowd is mental, on medication and needs to be beaten to a pulp by NBA players. Stephen Jackson, Ron artest and Jermaine O Neal should have been rewarded.

The funny thing is that you actually think this is clever...

You're quickly climbing the ranks of biggest douchebag in this place...

Hell, you might have already won...

Congrats!

mikejones99
12-17-2005, 03:35 AM
Most stadiums do not have fans throwing beer on the court. Merry Christmas. Artest can get the Lakers to the playoffs. maybe Artest for Ben Wallace, they make about the same.

Kori Ellis
12-17-2005, 04:19 AM
Yawn.

I guess Stephen jackson was mentally "stable" when he was with the Spurs too huh?

I don't think Stephen Jackson had been sent to any psychiatrists by former teams or had been order to anger management, or had violence problems.

Streakyshooter08
12-17-2005, 04:45 AM
Here is what Walsh had to say:

Pacers Encouraged By Quality Of Trade Offers
16th December, 2005 - 7:32 pm
ESPN - Indiana Pacers president Donnie Walsh is "encouraged" by the quality of the offers he has received for Ron Artest, including what he said were at least two proposals involving All-Star caliber players.

Without being specific about any of the 12-15 offers he said he had received, Walsh told ESPN.com he had heard from 20 teams, some of which merely called to ask what Walsh was looking for. Walsh said he was planning to get back to three of those teams to make specific requests.

"I've talked to a lot of teams, discussed myriad types of offers. Some are player for player, some involve first-round draft picks, some involve savings, some involve a combination of those things," Walsh said. "I'm encouraged by some of the things we were offered."

He would not set a timetable for trading Artest, though he did concede: "I'd like to get it behind us, but I don't feel any [time] pressure to do it. I'd like to winnow it down to two or three deals I'd like to do." Artest has been placed on the inactive list and told to stay away from the team while Walsh fields trade offers. Artest's agent said he expects a trade to be completed by the end of the week. On Friday, Walsh told ESPN's Steven A. Smith that the Pacers will keep Artest on the inactive list for the rest of the season if they are unable to trade their disgruntled All Star. In that case, Artest would still receive his full salary...

At least the rumour of 2-3 teams seems to be correct. I wonder who that might be. Who knows if the Spurs are one of them...

P.S. IF the Spurs would get him (which I don't believe) I would like to make it happen before 25. december because I would like to see him play the Pistons...:)

TDMVPDPOY
12-17-2005, 05:05 AM
i think artest should pull a fake injury to lower his trade value and we come in for the sweep

SpurYank
12-17-2005, 07:36 AM
Anyone who believes this story also believes in the tooth fairy. It isn't worth reading. It's like wishing for a Katrina-like hurricane when you have a clear spring day and 72 degrees. All of you have got to give the Spurs organization much more credit than this.

polandprzem
12-17-2005, 07:50 AM
CIA POP ???

hehe

smeagol
12-17-2005, 08:14 AM

I think you are nuts if:

1) You don't think Artest is a huge risk. Why take the risk, especially with a team that's headed for another ring?, and

2) You don't think Artest wants to be one of the focal points of the team he is going to. How can he be one of the focal points in a team that has TD, TP, Manu, Finley, VanX. He would be nothing but a bench/role player.

ducks
12-17-2005, 08:56 AM
nets suppose are offering vc for artest

ducks
12-17-2005, 09:03 AM
A guy referred to this tonight on the pacers postgame call-in show.

During tonights game Jax gets the ball on the left side beyond three point line, with a guy on him.

Sarunas is to his right, beyond the three point line wide-open calling for the ball. Jax looks right at him and doesn't pass. Sarunas gets a helpless look on his face, gets mad and runs to the other side of the court. Jax takes the ball in by himself - I can't remember if he scores or not.

The guy on the phone indicates that Jax and Tinsley are trying to Freeze Sarunas out on the offense - sure looked like it on that play.

So here's what happens afterward - somebody calls a timeout, and as they're walking back Sarunas goes straight over to Jackson and puts his arm around him, trying to be his buddy - Jax rejects the motion and doesn't even acknowlege Sarunas - never even makes eye contact - Sarunas finally gives up and walks away.

I saw this live, right in front of me. There's something else going on with the team right now. Anybody know what's up?
I have been pointing this out nearly every game. Jax and Tinsley are not giving up the ball to Sarunas unless he is the only option. Sarunas is trying to win them over but he doesn't appear to be having much luck.

I'm glad someone besides myself has noticed this, and I hope Rick puts a stop to it ASAP.....when's Larry getting back?

http://www2.indystar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130115

seems to me there is alot of players in pacer land that do like jackson.......... and seems to me alot of fighting going on
no wonder ron wants out he wants a fresh start

T Park
12-17-2005, 09:25 AM
Jackson has turned into a shithead up in Indiana.

But Im still suprised how many people are ready to bag on this guy, based on things they THINK they know.

Shamefull.

ducks
12-17-2005, 09:31 AM
it was in the paper that jackson and oneal were fighting after the hawks game

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-17-2005, 09:52 AM
Indiana Pacers president Donnie Walsh is "encouraged" by the quality of the offers he has received for Ron Artest, including what he said were at least two proposals involving All-Star caliber players.

I'm sure he's also using a bit of hyperbole to get the best offers he can.

I think you are nuts if:

1) You don't think Artest is a huge risk. Why take the risk, especially with a team that's headed for another ring?, and

I never said he wasn't a risk, just that with the team environment we have here I think it's a risk worth taking.

And I'm sorry, but too many people act like a ring is a foregone conclusion. The Pistons ain't going anywhere, and Horry isn't going to be around to bail us out forever. And Bowen isn't getting any younger. Fuck, I hate the arrogance of our fans. Like I said, we were 3 quarters of ridiculously clutch basketball by Robert Horry away from choking on the biggest stage of pro basketball in the Finals.

2) You don't think Artest wants to be one of the focal points of the team he is going to. How can he be one of the focal points in a team that has TD, TP, Manu, Finley, VanX. He would be nothing but a bench/role player.

Artest has said first and foremost he wants to win a ring. He's stated he'd come off the bench behind a guy like LeBron, does that sound selfish to you? He's stated he thinks Tim Duncan is one of the best ballas in the league, and admired him from afar about the whole KG vs. Tim thing. That basically amounted to street cred for Tim from Artest.

Look, the media love to have a bad guy. They love to sensationalize shit. You should realize that by now. Artest is one of the league's bad guys. So I don't buy this whole he needs to be the #1 option and be the man shit.

I know some of you will have a hard time digesting this, but the minute Artest stepped on the court he'd be the second best player we have. And that's coming from someone who's a Manu fan and is incredibly thrilled with Tony's play this year.

It's a risk, but the family environment of this franchise makes it one worth taking. Everyone said Buckets was a punk (and he's proven it in Indy), but with the Spurs team environment he managed. Look at Finley and Van Exel (Nick in particular). People said "oh, Finley needs to score 20 a night to be happy." "Nick? Y'all have a cancer."

I don't see this team going in the shitter right now with these two here, do you?

Finally, I trust Pop in personnel matters. If the Spurs have made an offer that's because they know the real truth (more than we hear in the press) about Artest.

T Park
12-17-2005, 09:56 AM
but the minute Artest stepped on the court he'd be the second best player we have

I agree wholeheartedly.

Of course the Manu delegation will shout you down with how dare yous, and are you nuts, but at least Artest will stay healthy.

Artest has said first and foremost he wants to win a ring. He's stated he'd come off the bench behind a guy like LeBron, does that sound selfish to you? He's stated he thinks Tim Duncan is one of the best ballas in the league, and admired him from afar about the whole KG vs. Tim thing. That basically amounted to street cred for Tim from Artest.

^^^ Great stuff.

Of course the haters love to ignore this.

Brodels
12-17-2005, 10:13 AM
I agree wholeheartedly.

Of course the Manu delegation will shout you down with how dare yous, and are you nuts, but at least Artest will stay healthy.

Manu has played more games over the past two seasons than Artest has. I don't care if it's health or something else, Manu has been on the court more than Artest has. That's the bottom line. Manu is always at risk of missing time due to injury, and Artest is always a risk to miss significant time because he does stupid things. Hell, Artest is missing time right now because the team doesn't want him around while trade options are explored.

Spin it any way you want to, but the fact is that Manu plays more games.

^^^ Great stuff.

Of course the haters love to ignore this.

Artest has also said that the reason he wants to be traded is because he needs to get more opportunities on the offense end. So what does he really want? I don't think anyone knows. But if you believe the above quote and don't believe the statements he made about wanting to be traded so he could score more points, I'd like to know your reasoning.

You can continue to believe selective things, but those of us capable of reason will, at the very least, understand that he says conflicting things. That makes it difficult, if not impossible, to really know what he's thinking.

In other words, that quote is worthless.

TPark, you're the one always lamenting the fact that the N.B.A. is full of guys with "ten cent heads." Artest probably epitomizes that more than any other player in the league. Just for the record, let's clear some thing up. You are advocating that the Spurs trade for a guy who has:

- Thrown basketballs at his teammates' heads
- Been suspended for almost an entire season for fighting in the stands
- Requested a trade from a pretty good team because he isn't getting enough touches
- Wanted to take a month off from playing basketball because he became tired promoting his new CD
- And the list can go on and on...

If nothing else, at least have some consistency.

Fuck, I hate the arrogance of our fans.

Me too. And perhaps the most arrogant thing I can imagine is thinking that the Spurs can take the most screwed up player in the league, manage him, and turn him into a decent teammate and citizen. To me, that's about as arrogant as it gets.

A ring is certainly not guaranteed. But the Spurs have a decent shot at a ring. That may or may not be true if Artest joins the team. That's where the risk comes in. I'm more comfortable having a good shot at a ring.

He's created problems everywhere he's been. I simply think you don't have a good grasp on what's needed to win a championship. I'm no N.B.A. player or coach, but I'm thinking that talent is only one consideration.

ObiwanGinobili
12-17-2005, 10:13 AM
All I can say is that I really really don't want Artest on my team. I've seen his actions on court, read interviews... and his latest interview on RealSports....... :rolleyes.
I hate his attitude and I do think he's a risk. Megalomaniac. He is talented.. I'm not sayign that he's not.
But he is also poisen.

I don't want him here. I would be very sad.
really really.

ObiwanGinobili
12-17-2005, 10:14 AM
http://perso.wanadoo.es/evilblade/images/forest_gump.jpg
and thats all I have to say about that.

T Park
12-17-2005, 10:24 AM
TPark, you're the one always lamenting the fact that the N.B.A. is full of guys with "ten cent heads."

Yeah and I was called a racist for saying that.

So I might as well change to fit with everyone heres opinion.

Bring Artest in, and watch how well hed work within the team.

Brodels
12-17-2005, 10:26 AM
Yeah and I was called a racist for saying that.

So I might as well change to fit with everyone heres opinion.

Bring Artest in, and watch how well hed work within the team.

So you've changed your opinions because someone thought you were a racist for saying that some guys have "ten cent heads?"

I'm still waiting for a response from you to some of the valid points made by the Artest naysayers.

T Park
12-17-2005, 10:28 AM
There are no valid points.

Only Bullshit people make up to not want the guy here, because hes had problems in the past.

So you've changed your opinions because someone thought you were a racist for saying that some guys have "ten cent heads?"

More than 1.

"They have ten cent heads cause they are black right?"

Thats what I always got in response.

Marcus Bryant
12-17-2005, 10:39 AM
There's a difference between Jack and Artest. Artest suffers from a psychiatric illness, one for which he has been diagnosed and issued medication. Jack does not.

Anyways, I find it quite amusing that those who feel it's unreasonable to expect the Spurs to carry the same depth they have before in seasons past, for the added expense of a minimum salary, are the same who feel it's perfectly reasonable to expect the Spurs to bring in a player who is (actually, not figuratively) certifiable and who has a recent history of violence and bizarre behavior. I can think of no better way to throw a wrench into the machine that is the Spurs than to bring in a mental egoist like Artest.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-17-2005, 11:00 AM

I consider myself one of the leaders of the Manu delegation, I still feel that way.

I find it quite amusing that those who feel it's unreasonable to expect the Spurs to carry the same depth they have before in seasons past, for the added expense of a minimum salary, are the same who feel it's perfectly reasonable to expect the Spurs to bring in a player who is (actually, not figuratively) certifiable and who has a recent history of violence and bizarre behavior.

I find it quite amusing that some people can't wrap their little minds around the difference between a legitimate All-Star talent and some scrub 14th and 15th men to go hang out with the Toros at the expense of the Spurs.

End of the bench scrubs are a dime a dozen, and it's pretty obvious the Spurs can go out and pick one when the need arises.

You don't seem capable of understanding the fact that if we get down to having to use scrubs like Sanders for anything other than deep garbage time we're fucked anyway.

ChumpDumper
12-17-2005, 11:08 AM
I could see taking on Artest for the pittance of Barry/Oberto/Beno in some combination, but anything more is relying far too much on a proven nutjob and quitter.

T Park
12-17-2005, 11:09 AM
I consider myself one of the leaders of the Manu delegation

I mean the Argentinians.

You know what spunky little folks they are.

T Park
12-17-2005, 11:10 AM
I find it quite amusing that some people can't wrap their little minds around the difference between a legitimate All-Star talent and some scrub 14th and 15th men to go hang out with the Toros at the expense of the Spurs.

Why dont you get your mouth off of Peter Holt's nuts and wrap your mind around the Spurs are cheap [marcus]

wildbill2u
12-17-2005, 11:32 AM
Man i'd hate to see Barry go, but this scenario sounds better to me than others. I love Brent.

Who really believes that Barry (a backup guard who hasn't quite 'adjusted' to that role and is on downside of career) and Oberto (a NBA rookie who hasn't shown much so far) are anywhere near 'equal value' for Artest?

The guy, whatever his craziness, is a legitimate starter for most clubs. I don't think Indiana will trade him for anything less than a valuable player.

T Park
12-17-2005, 11:38 AM
WildBill

Indiana thinks Oberto is fantastic, and LOVES Brent Barry.

If they are that dumb, then make the damn trade!!!!

Marcus Bryant
12-17-2005, 11:38 AM

End of the bench scrubs are a dime a dozen, and it's pretty obvious the Spurs can go out and pick one when the need arises.

Again, the issue has never been whether that player would win a championship, but whether or not Holt Cat is starting to limit management. Surely even a basketball genius such as yourself could figure that out.

You don't seem capable of understanding the fact that if we get down to having to use scrubs like Sanders for anything other than deep garbage time we're fucked anyway.

The Spurs would be fucked more if they brought in Artest. Team chemistry is king at this point in SA. Look at what has happened to Indiana over this season and the last. Why can we expect it to change? It's foolish to think that Artest would suddenly become sane if he came to SA. Lest we forget the financial impact of having a useless mental patient on the payroll for the next 3 seasons or whatever, since that's so important for some here.

mattyc
12-17-2005, 11:45 AM
I'd love Artest on the Spurs..... in NBA Live.

Realistically, I'd be very, very wary.

wildbill2u
12-17-2005, 11:50 AM
If he did not respect Reggie Miller, he is not going to respect Tim Duncan when the going gets tough. And the argument collapses.

Contrary to some posts, the only person Artest respects is HIMSELF. This guy has an ego problem that drives him.

Sure, he'll say all the right things when it's necessary--he did it in Indiana when he started the year with mea culpas about how he was reformed, etc--but when crunch time comes, Artest's ego emerges and he wants to be the go-to guy. He can't help himself because that's who he is.

He's like Lucy telling Charlie Brown she won't pull the football away this time--really. :pctoss

smeagol
12-17-2005, 11:56 AM
Tpark and AHF;

If Astest is all you say he is (the 2nd best player behind TD), would blend in no time and will help the Spurs get a ring, lets do a straight trade for Manu. I'm sure SpursFans everywhere would love that trade.

T Park
12-17-2005, 12:00 PM
lets do a straight trade for Manu. I'm sure SpursFans everywhere would love that trade.

Why when Indiana wants Oberto and Barry would you trade Ginobili?

And why would "spursfans" love that?

smeagol
12-17-2005, 12:06 PM

Artest is a great player, no question about that. But his accomplishments are?

Last year he got suspended (we all now the story). The year before, didn't he do a dumb thing in the playoffs which vistually eliminated Indiana?

He is a great player, but too unstable.

So TPark. You say Artest can stay healthy (implying Manu does not, even though Manu helped you celebrate a third title - the one you quit on the team, remember?) but you conviniently forget the stuff he has done in the past (screwing Indiana twice).

Pretty dumb take, if you ask me.

smeagol
12-17-2005, 12:10 PM

And why would "spursfans" love that?
Acknowledge the point. You think Artest is better than Manu, then you should be happy with a "Artest for Manu" trade.

By the way, you are smoking funny weed if you think Oberto and Barry are all Indiana wants in exchange for Ron Ron. No matter how much they "love" them.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-17-2005, 12:12 PM
Again, the issue has never been whether that player would win a championship, but whether or not Holt Cat is starting to limit management. Surely even a basketball genius such as yourself could figure that out.

Again, how is Holt limiting management by not wanting to have some Toros fodder on his payroll?

Look at what has happened to Indiana over this season and the last. Why can we expect it to change?

Because he goes from a team full of thugs (JO, Buckets) to a family environment like the Spurs.

I think the Spurs franchise has proven under the Pop/Duncan regime they can handle one "crazy" guy on the squad. If he goes whacko you send him down to the Toros and say fuck it, it didn't work out.

The upside to this deal, however, is enormous.

wildbill2u
12-17-2005, 12:12 PM
WildBill

Indiana thinks Oberto is fantastic, and LOVES Brent Barry.

If they are that dumb, then make the damn trade!!!!

You work in their FO? How do you know this? And even if they like these Spurs, does that mean they'd trade Artest for them?

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-17-2005, 12:13 PM
If Astest is all you say he is (the 2nd best player behind TD), would blend in no time and will help the Spurs get a ring, lets do a straight trade for Manu.

Nice straw man's argument.

Why would we have to trade Manu if they will take spare parts for Artest? Why pick one when we could have both? Weak take.

ChumpDumper
12-17-2005, 12:19 PM
I'm having a tough time believing Walsh couldn't do better than Barry/Oberto.

ducks
12-17-2005, 12:19 PM
the problem with the pacers
is tinsley,oneal, jackson and ron are on the same team and have a high strung personally each
larry bird has said publically so and not sure if they could keep them all

Dre_7
12-17-2005, 12:24 PM

Wait. Indy really wants to make this trade? How true are these rumors? You are sounding like its almost a done deal! Please tell me its not!

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-17-2005, 12:26 PM
I'm having a tough time believing Walsh couldn't do better than Barry/Oberto.

I've said already, I think it will be (if we do it) Nazr + Barry + whatever else to top it off (be it Beno, Oberto, other).

ChumpDumper
12-17-2005, 12:26 PM
How true are these rumors?I think it's risen to Rumor Alert Level "Modesto"....

ChumpDumper
12-17-2005, 12:27 PM
I've said already, I think it will be (if we do it) Nazr + Barry + whatever else to top it off (be it Beno, Oberto, other).I have a tough time thinking Walsh can't do better than Nazr + Barry + whatever else to top it off, then.

wildbill2u
12-17-2005, 12:29 PM
I've heard a rumor that the NBA wants to see what happens if a team got all the best players. The GMs have agreed to make the following trades:

Shaq for Rasho
Brand for NAZR
Artest for BARRY/Scola draft rights
Keving Garnett for Horry.
Ray Allen for Nick Van Exel

More are in the works.

exstatic
12-17-2005, 12:34 PM
I think it's risen to Rumor Alert Level "Modesto"....

:lol:rollin

Despot
12-17-2005, 12:38 PM
I've heard a rumor that the NBA wants to see what happens if a team got all the best players. The GMs have agreed to make the following trades:

Shaq for Rasho
Brand for NAZR
Artest for BARRY/Scola draft rights
Keving Garnett for Horry.
Ray Allen for Nick Van Exel

More are in the works.

~creeming myself~~~~~~~

I'll take Redd over Vagina though.

Sense
12-17-2005, 12:43 PM
I love how argentinians take this too seriously.

slayermin
12-17-2005, 12:50 PM
There is no question Artest would be an incredible player to obtain, especially with the basketball philosophy Pop subscribes to.

But he is a huge risk. I wouldn't believe anything that came out of his mouth because I don't think he really knows how he will react to a certain situation until it actually happens.

I have read some people comparing Artest to Rodman or Artest to T.O. I don't think those are accurate comparisons.

Rodman misbehaved because he was trying to promote himself for off the court business ventures. He wanted to be known as a bad boy to stimulate a film career along with anything else he could capitalize on. I don't think Rodman was unstable. He knew what he was doing. He was living an image he created for himself.

T.O. is the epitome of an egomaniac. But I don't think T.O. is unstable either. His actions and words are calculated. He does what he does, in part for self promotion, but also to satisfy his huge ego for attention. He wants to be loved. I think that is why he does what he does.

Artest is more like Mike Tyson. I don't think he's as crazy as Tyson. But one thing the two have in common is that both are very unstable. You don't know what your going to get until it happens. That is what scares me about Artest. He could say all the right things and do all the right things, but do we really know how he will react if someone else throws a beer at him again?

If the Spurs could pick him up cheap(Barry/Oberto/Beno), I say do it. But if you are giving up Nazr, no way.