PDA

View Full Version : Big Brother, Alive and Well

Nbadan
08-16-2004, 03:38 AM
WASHINGTON, Aug. 15 - The Federal Bureau of Investigation has been questioning political demonstrators across the country, and in rare cases even subpoenaing them, in an aggressive effort to forestall what officials say could be violent and disruptive protests at the Republican National Convention in New York.

F.B.I. officials are urging agents to canvass their communities for information about planned disruptions aimed at the convention and other coming political events, and they say they have developed a list of people who they think may have information about possible violence. They say the inquiries, which began last month before the Democratic convention in Boston, are focused solely on possible crimes, not dissent, at major political events.

But some people contacted by the F.B.I. say they are mystified by the bureau's interest and felt harassed by questions about their political plans.

"The message I took from it," said Sarah Bardwell, 21, an intern at a Denver antiwar group who was visited by six investigators a few weeks ago, "was that they were trying to intimidate us into not going to any protests and to let us know that, 'hey, we're watching you.' ''

Where are the people of the 'New South' on this issue? I thought Texas, especially suburbanite Texans, fought for their right to do and say as they please. The right to legally assemble without harassment. I guess this only matters when the issue being talked about are important issues to Texans, like abortion and gun rights.

NeoConIV
08-16-2004, 03:42 AM
link?