PDA

View Full Version : December 16,...

Yonivore
12-17-2005, 09:18 AM

It was 61 years ago that the Battle of the Bulge (http://helios.acomp.usf.edu/~dsargent/bestbulge2.htm) began:

The Battle of the Bulge which lasted from December 16, 1944 to January 28, 1945 was the largest land battle of World War II in which the United States participated. More than a million men fought in this battle including some 600,000 Germans, 500,000 Americans, and 55,000 British. The German military force consisted of two Armies with ten corps (equal to 29 divisions). While the American military force consisted of a total of three armies with six corps(equal to 31 divisions). At the conclusion of the battle the casualties were as follows: 81,000 U.S. with 19,000 killed, 1400 British with 200 killed, and 100,000 Germans killed, wounded or captured.

Please note that the United States lost 19,000 killed in six weeks of battle. Back in 1944, the United States had a Democratic Party - today, to our sorrow, we have the Defeaticrat Party. Aside from taking a moment today to remember those brave Americans who gave their all to stop Hitler's last offensive, the Battle of the Bulge offers an lesson for our particular situation of today.

In December of 1944 Germany was finished. Hitler only managed to set this last offensive afoot by stripping his armies elsewhere of all their best men and equipment - It made for a formidable force, but it was hollow. There was nothing behind it - after the Battle of the Bulge, the Anglo-American conquest of Germany went off pretty much without a hitch because the Germans had nothing left to really oppose us with. Imagine, however, what it might have been like if Dean, Pelosi and Murtha were running the Democratic show in 1944:

After "easy" victories over second-rate German forces in France the badly mismanaged US offensive grinds to a halt on the German border...and then the German military, uniformly considered incapable of offensive operations by the US high command, launches 600,000 superbly trained and equipped soldiers against our ill-prepared forces in the Ardennes region. Well, that's a quagmire...and who are we to think we can impose democracy on Germany at the point of a gun anyways? And as for those Jews...well, it is a shame what is happening to them, but didn't they bring it on themelves by not accomodating themselves better to German national aspirations?

We didn't have Defeaticrats back them...we seem to have picked them up after the Tet Offensive during the Vietnam War (another desperate gamble by an enemy on the ropes whcih resulted in massive enemy losses...but that time instead of facing an America united in determination on victory, they met an America with one political Party willing to accept defeat in war if it would advance a particular political agenda); and we've got them all over the place here in 2005. War is a cruel an nasty business and it will have horrible surprises even for the victorious side...this war, however, is made crueler and nastier because a substantial minority of Americans are providing aid and comfort to the enemy in the form of relentless attacks upon the military and Administration as they go about the very difficult task of fighting a bloodthirsty and determined enemy.

Some day, I hope our leftwingers will understand what they have been doing, be horrified by it, and seek to make amends.

Iraq is al Qaeda's Ardennes. Think about it.

JoeChalupa
12-17-2005, 09:28 AM
Different times. Things have changed in 61 years.
I don't like living in the past although we must not forget.

Yonivore
12-17-2005, 09:38 AM
Different times. Things have changed in 61 years.
I don't like living in the past although we must not forget.

But, it's not the past Joe.

Germany had already lost before the Battle of the Bulge -- it was a futile effort on Hitler's part -- but, it had to be met by Allied Forces before victory could be declared. Would you say those 16,000 Americans died needlessly?

In the same mold, North Vietnam had lost and the Tet Offensive was their Battle of the Bulge. Just listen to what former North Vietnames military officers are saying now. Unfortunately for the U.S. and South Vietnam, political division at home caused us to lose our resolve and the Tet Offensive -- even though lost militarily -- became Vietnam's turning point for a victory for the Communist North. We lost our stomach and weren't willing to see it through.

Iraq can become a "Battle of the Bulge" or a "Tet Offensive," it's up to us that aren't fighting to buck it up and be resolved to see the fight through to it's successful conclusion. The soldiers will do their job...indeed, they want to do their job.

JoeChalupa
12-17-2005, 09:47 AM
Well, I thought the mission was accomplished quite awhile ago but I guess I, and the President, were wrong.
Of course our military will do their jobs...it's their job and they don't hold favorites when it comes to CIC.
It's up to us? I don't see many of "us" running to the recruiter's offices to sign up to fight. I don't see the children of members of congress running to sign up to "fight".
I don't see the Bush twins running to join the "fight".

Yonivore
12-17-2005, 09:59 AM
Well, I thought the mission was accomplished quite awhile ago but I guess I, and the President, were wrong.
The mission of overthrowing the Ba'athis regime of Saddam Hussein was accomplished in 21 days. Nope, neither you nor the President were wrong.

Of course our military will do their jobs...it's their job and they don't hold favorites when it comes to CIC.

It's up to us? I don't see many of "us" running to the recruiter's offices to sign up to fight. I don't see the children of members of congress running to sign up to "fight".

As WWII and Vietnam demostrate so well, there's more to fighting and winning a war than just having boots and guns on the ground in the theater of battle.

You have to support the mission at home. Stand unified against a common enemy -- in spite of your ideological differences. We successfully marginalized the Nazi appeasers during WWII and won that war. We weren't so successful with the Communist appeasers during Vietnam...and lost.

SA210
12-17-2005, 11:56 AM

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b381/livindeadboi/bush_we-werent-soldiers.jpg

SA210
12-17-2005, 02:09 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b381/livindeadboi/gwguard.gif