PDA

View Full Version : Governer of NJ resigns over Gay Affair.

MannyIsGod
08-12-2004, 05:59 PM
New Jersey governor reveals he's gay
McGreevey announces resignation after telling of affair
Thursday, August 12, 2004 Posted: 4:46 PM EDT (2046 GMT)

New Jersey Gov. Jim McGreevey

Newspapers Online
Digital replicas of 160 newspapers from 40 countries. Free 7-day trial.
www.pressdisplay.com

Search Newspapers Online
Search historical newspapers for old photos, vintage ads and the stories that...
www.ancestry.com

Search for Past Newspaper Articles
NewspaperArchive - your source for full image newspaper archives. We have one of...
www.newspaperarchive.com

(CNN) -- Dropping a political bombshell, New Jersey Gov. Jim McGreevey announced his resignation Thursday as he revealed he is a gay man who carried on an adulterous affair with a man.

With his wife standing by his side, McGreevey spoke in calm tones as he described his struggle with his sexuality, something that he said began as a child.

"My truth is that I am a gay American," McGreevey said.

He also spoke of an affair with a man and asked for his family's forgiveness.

"I have decided the right course of action is to resign," McGreevey said.

He said his resignation would be effective November 15.

"This is an intensely personal decision and not one typically for the public domain," McGreevey said of his revelation. "Yet, it cannot and should not pass."

McGreevey, a first-term Democrat, took office in January 2002. His term wasn't due to expire until January 2006.

Senate President Richard Codey, another Democrat, will replace McGreevey as the state's chief executive; the state has no lieutenant governor's office.

YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
James E. McGreevey

New Jersey

or Create your own

Manage alerts | What is this?

Once considered a rising star in Democratic circles, McGreevey, 47, served in the state Legislature and as mayor of the town of Woodbridge before winning the governorship.

A Quinnipiac University poll released August 4 showed McGreevey's approval among state voters fell sharply after two Democratic fund-raisers were indicted on federal charges in July -- one of them accused of lining up prostitutes to discredit a witness in a tax fraud investigation, the other accused of extortion.

mstexmex
08-12-2004, 07:18 PM
Personally I don't care if he is gay, but sheesh can ya keep it out of the office??? this goes to all politicians on both sides being accused of extra-marital affairs within their offices.:rolleyes

MannyIsGod
08-12-2004, 08:26 PM
i just wish it woudln't be twisted or acknowledged as a situation where the govorner is resigning because he is gay.

but that's wishful thinking.

exstatic
08-12-2004, 08:54 PM
So, I guess Rick Perry wasn't the only one?

SpursWoman
08-12-2004, 09:09 PM
i just wish it woudln't be twisted or acknowledged as a situation where the govorner is resigning because he is gay.

No kidding. :(

Tommy Duncan
08-12-2004, 09:28 PM
According to the article, he resigned because it was an affair, not necessarily because he was homosexual.

Yonivore
08-12-2004, 09:59 PM
And, let's not forget he was being accused of malfeasance and theft.

I'm betting he chose resignation over sex rather than resignation over crime.

Tommy Duncan
08-13-2004, 12:58 PM
NJ GOP calling on him to resign now. I have to agree. It's a bitch move for a sitting politician to resign after an upcoming election, no matter the party. Especially with him giving 3 months' notice.

Also, his resignation announcement seems to have a bit more to do with legal trouble than just his personal trouble.

What a sordid tale.

Nbadan
08-16-2004, 03:29 AM
Looks like the democrats are worried that the McGreevey affair could get much more messy with a FBI investigation still in the works, and the are willing to cut him loose now, rather than Nov 15..

TRENTON, N.J. - High-level New Jersey Democrats said Sunday that pressure is building among members of Gov. James E. McGreevey's own party for him to step down before his announced Nov. 15 resignation date.

A senior administration official and a Democratic consultant, both speaking on condition of anonymity, said several top Democrats are worried an FBI (news - web sites) investigation into the governor's same-sex relationship with a former aide will expose more politically damaging details.

"There's a deepening concern that it will get uglier and more damaging to the party. It's pressure for sooner rather than later," the consultant said.

Since McGreevey admitted having an affair with another man and announced his resignation Thursday, Republicans have called on him to step down immediately to prompt a special election to complete his term, which expires in January 2006.

more…

Yahoo News (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&e=4&u=/ap/20040816/ap_on_re_us/governor_resigns)

ducks
09-13-2019, 12:30 AM
Being gay now is ok
How things have changed