PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Claxton wouldn't mind return to S.A.

Manu20
12-19-2005, 01:28 AM
Spurs notebook: Claxton wouldn't mind return to S.A.
Web Posted: 12/19/2005 12:16 AM CST

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA121905.5D.BKNspurs.notebook.3933f6e.html

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

OKLAHOMA CITY — Nearly three years after leaving the Spurs in search of a starting job, Speedy Claxton said he wouldn't mind returning to the team when his contract expires at the end of the season.

I love San Antonio," Claxton said. "I had a great time there. I guess you can say I kind of miss it."

Claxton helped the Spurs win the 2003 championship by closing out the later games of the NBA Finals when Tony Parker struggled. At the end of the season, the Spurs and Golden State offered him similar three-year, $10 million contracts.

Claxton signed with the Warriors because he thought he would start. But as the season neared, Golden State acquired Nick Van Exel from Dallas.

Claxton started 44 of 46 games for the Warriors last season before he was traded to New Orleans in the deal for Baron Davis. He is the Hornets' first guard off the bench, playing alongside Chris Paul as well as backing him up.

"At the time, I just felt it would be better to go somewhere else," Claxton said. "But you never know. This is my last year. My contract's up. Maybe I'll be there (in San Antonio)."

The Spurs have missed Claxton as much or more than he's missed them.

Beno Udrih played well at times last season, but struggled in the Finals. So did Parker. After the season, coach Gregg Popovich said he wanted to find a reliable veteran to fill Claxton's former role.

Van Exel signed a one-year minimum contract with the Spurs, and has played well.

Claxton said he doesn't mind serving as a backup.

"I started a lot of the season last year, so I know I'm capable of starting," Claxton said. "That's all I wanted, to prove to myself."

Claxton said he watches the Spurs on TV whenever possible and has missed the relationships he had with his former teammates. He and Parker, Malik Rose and Stephen Jackson frequently went bowling and spent time at each other's houses.

"We were so good on the court mainly because we were so close off it," Claxton said. "That's the first time I experienced hanging out with my teammates off the court.

"It was just a real fun year. It had to end with us winning a championship, it just had to. I wish we all could have stayed together for that next year to defend our title."

Common bond: When Chris Paul was debating whether to leave Wake Forest for the NBA this summer, he sought advice from another Demon Deacon who had to make the same choice nearly a decade ago:

Tim Duncan.

Duncan and Paul exchanged e-mails and talked.

"He told me to talk to my family and those closest to me in making my decision," Paul said.

Duncan would have been a high draft pick had he left after his sophomore season, but elected to stay four years at Wake Forest before graduating with a degree in psychology. After Paul declared for the draft following his sophomore year, New Orleans took him with the fourth overall pick.

Paul also seemed to make a wise decision considering how well he's played with New Orleans. He entered Sunday averaging 16.7 points and 7.0 assists, both tops among rookies.

"I think he's going to win Rookie of the Year hands down," Claxton said. "He has a great feel and knowledge of the game."

Paul continues to speak with Duncan whenever possible.

"When I got drafted, he was so excited for me and wished me the best of luck," Paul said. "Ever since I got to the league, he let me know if I need anything, just ask."

Quickest feet: When it comes to deciding the NBA's fastest guard, Claxton has as good a perspective as anyone. In addition to teaming with Chris Paul and Tony Parker, he also played with Philadelphia's Allen Iverson.

His choice?

"AI," Claxton said. "He's tough, so tough. AI by far."

TDMVPDPOY
12-19-2005, 01:40 AM
Dont mind him comin back, at least former players love SA etc and teh team

PM5K
12-19-2005, 02:19 AM
He's still pretty young at 27 and long term I'd rather have him than NVE at 34....

Brutalis
12-19-2005, 02:32 AM
we need him.

Marcus Bryant
12-19-2005, 09:51 AM
Let's see if he can play a full season first.

ducks
12-19-2005, 09:54 AM
parker stuggled in the finals for a few games but so did duncan
ludden is still mad that kidd said NO

pache100
12-19-2005, 10:00 AM
[B] OKLAHOMA CITY — Nearly three years after leaving the Spurs in search of a starting job, Speedy Claxton said he wouldn't mind returning to the team when his contract expires at the end of the season.

I love San Antonio," Claxton said. "I had a great time there. I guess you can say I kind of miss it."

Claxton helped the Spurs win the 2003 championship by closing out the later games of the NBA Finals when Tony Parker struggled. At the end of the season, the Spurs and Golden State offered him similar three-year, $10 million contracts.

Claxton signed with the Warriors because he thought he would start. But as the season neared, Golden State acquired Nick Van Exel from Dallas.

I loved Speedy when he played here. But, I don't have much sympathy for him in this situation. If Speedy wanted to play with the Spurs, he should have stayed here when he had the opportunity. Greed (whether for money or minutes) will get you nowhere. He didn't start at GS because he was off the bench behind Van Exel. Now he wants to come back and be off the bench behind Parker/Van Exel/Beno????? Give me a break.

Marcus Bryant
12-19-2005, 10:04 AM
I loved Speedy when he played here. But, I don't have much sympathy for him in this situation. If Speedy wanted to play with the Spurs, he should have stayed here when he had the opportunity. Greed (whether for money or minutes) will get you nowhere. He didn't start at GS because he was off the bench behind Van Exel. Now he wants to come back and be off the bench behind Parker/Van Exel/Beno????? Give me a break.

Um, a player can only stay in the league for so long. He got more $ and minutes in Golden State. Can't really fault him for that.

bigzak25
12-19-2005, 10:05 AM
a speedy return would be great. :tu

Louae
12-19-2005, 10:23 AM

Talk about a disconnect from reality.

What Speedy did wasn't GREED but looking out for his future. There's nothing wrong with searching for teams who'll give you more minutes or more money when you're a young player that hasn't had either of both.

I can totally see how he'd want to come back to the spurs with the experiences he's had over the past few years.

usckk
12-19-2005, 10:25 AM

What Speedy did wasn't GREED but looking out for his future. There's nothing wrong with searching for teams who'll give you more minutes or more money when you're a young player that hasn't had either of both.

I can totally see how he'd want to come back to the spurs seeing his situation now and how the spurs situation as of now.

I completly agree. We would all take the bigger contract. Us spurs fans are just spoiled because of players, such as TOny, Duncan, and Manu, taking less money to stay. Most people aren't like them, including me.

pache100
12-19-2005, 10:26 AM

I can totally see how he'd want to come back to the spurs seeing his situation now and how the spurs situation as of now.

That's what you see, and you are entitled to your opinion. And, I won't even be rude and sarcastic and accuse you of "disconnect from reality" for it. I call them like I see them. My opinion is that if Speedy wanted to play for the Spurs (and I don't know or care at this point whether he does or not), HE SHOULD HAVE STAYED HERE WHEN HE HAD THE CHANCE. Better men than Speedy have taken the chance and stayed with or chosen the Spurs when they had other opportunities. If he wanted to play here, he should have stayed, that's all I'm saying.

boutons
12-19-2005, 10:28 AM
I find this:

"I started a lot of the season last year, so I know I'm capable of starting," Claxton said. "That's all I wanted, to prove to myself."

... to be revisionist. Speedy left to start, and did start, on lottery teams, but couldn't hold his starting position. That really doesn't prove much to anybody. He may develop more, but right now, 2.5 seasons after he left the Spurs, he's just an excellent backup PG, not a playoff team starter.

GoSpurs21
12-19-2005, 10:39 AM
That's what you see, and you are entitled to your opinion. And, I won't even be rude and sarcastic and accuse you of "disconnect from reality" for it. I call them like I see them. My opinion is that if Speedy wanted to play for the Spurs (and I don't know or care at this point whether he does or not), HE SHOULD HAVE STAYED HERE WHEN HE HAD THE CHANCE. Better men than Speedy have taken the chance and stayed with or chosen the Spurs when they had other opportunities. If he wanted to play here, he should have stayed, that's all I'm saying.in others words you're acting like a selfish brat

pache100
12-19-2005, 10:41 AM
in others words you're acting like a selfish brat

No, I leave that to you. You are the one making the slams and calling names. All I did was state an opinion.

Spurminator
12-19-2005, 10:44 AM
Most people look for opportunities in their careers to increase their responsibilities and their salary. Basketball players are no different.

pache100
12-19-2005, 10:46 AM
Most people look for opportunities in their careers to increase their responsibilities and their salary. Basketball players are no different.

Oh, I agree. That's why he is SOOOO much better off NOW than he was with the Spurs. :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-19-2005, 11:03 AM
That's what you see, and you are entitled to your opinion. And, I won't even be rude and sarcastic and accuse you of "disconnect from reality" for it. I call them like I see them. My opinion is that if Speedy wanted to play for the Spurs (and I don't know or care at this point whether he does or not), HE SHOULD HAVE STAYED HERE WHEN HE HAD THE CHANCE

:lol. Tell you what. Get out in the real world. Get a job. Then have someone offer to quadruple your pay and set you and your family for life, along with giving you more responsibility and a higher profile position.

If you said you'd pass that up, I'd call you a liar.

pache100
12-19-2005, 11:05 AM
:lol. Tell you what. Get out in the real world. Get a job.

Got one, thanks. Celebrate my 21st anniversary (in the same office) next month.

I've had other, more lucrative, offers. But, I stuck. Because...

I love San Antonio. I have a great time here. I guess you can say I'd kind of miss it if I left. (any of this sounding familiar?)

If I was Speedy and wanted to play with the Spurs, I'd have passed it up.

Marcus Bryant
12-19-2005, 11:15 AM
Oh, I agree. That's why he is SOOOO much better off NOW than he was with the Spurs. :lol

Well, he is in the final year of a 3 year, $10 mil contract. If he had stayed in SA he might've made half of that over that same time span.

ObiwanGinobili
12-19-2005, 11:27 AM
:lol. Tell you what. Get out in the real world. Get a job. Then have someone offer to quadruple your pay and set you and your family for life, along with giving you more responsibility and a higher profile position.

just butting inhere but that doesn't really apply in your argument against pache's opinion.

see the article:

the Spurs and Golden State offered him similar three-year, $10 million contracts.

Claxton signed with the Warriors because he thought he would start.

ok. continue

ObiwanGinobili
12-19-2005, 11:28 AM
At the end of the season, the Spurs and Golden State offered him similar three-year, $10 million contracts.

ObiwanGinobili
12-19-2005, 11:28 AM
his choice was about starting. period.

Marcus Bryant
12-19-2005, 11:30 AM
Which one was fully guaranteed?

ObiwanGinobili
12-19-2005, 11:33 AM
i don't know. lets call Pop.

ChumpDumper
12-19-2005, 11:40 AM
HE SHOULD HAVE STAYED HERE WHEN HE HAD THE CHANCE.WE SHOULD HAVE TAKEN HIS OPTION WHEN WE HAD THE CHANCE.

pache100
12-19-2005, 11:44 AM
WE SHOULD HAVE TAKEN HIS OPTION WHEN WE HAD THE CHANCE.

May be true. That's kind of beside the point to this argument, though. The Spurs organization is not, as far as I know, sitting around saying, "Oh, woe is we...we sure do need Speedy back. Whatever are we gonna do without Speedy? Oh, we want Speedy."

SPEEDY is the one with regrets, saying he would like to return to the Spurs. The choice we are discussing (to go or stay) was his. The Spurs matched the offer, Speedy picked the other team.

Louae
12-19-2005, 11:46 AM
I completly agree. We would all take the bigger contract. Us spurs fans are just spoiled because of players, such as TOny, Duncan, and Manu, taking less money to stay. Most people aren't like them, including me.

Well, I think Duncan is making the MAX. I'm not sure he can be put in the same breath as Manu and Tony in terms of taking less than his market value. As for Tony and Manu, you really can't compare those two with Speedy b/c the yearly difference between what they make and what they could've of made and turned down is greater than what the yearly salary that Speedy actually accepted.

If I were in Speedy's situation, and I felt the same way about my game as he did. I would've done the same thing. I find it impossible to fault him for his decision to leave and improve his standing as a player. Any ambitious person would take the risk to do so rather than settling for less.

ChumpDumper
12-19-2005, 11:47 AM
May be true. That's kind of beside the point to this argument, though.Not at all. It would have made it much easier to keep Speedy after the following season.
The Spurs organization is not, as far as I know, sitting around saying, "Oh, woe is we...we sure do need Speedy back. Whatever are we gonna do without Speedy? Oh, we want Speedy."They sure were the past two seasons before signing Nick.

pache100
12-19-2005, 11:49 AM
Not at all. It would have made it much easier to keep Speedy after the following season.

Ok. That still does not change the fact that what is being argued here is SPEEDY'S DECISION to leave. (at least that's all I'm arguing)

They sure were the past two seasons before signing Nick.

Mhmm. Ok. (I never heard anyone associated with the Spurs say that once. But, ok.)

ChumpDumper
12-19-2005, 11:51 AM
Mhmm. Ok. (I never heard anyone associated with the Spurs say that once. But, ok.)Is Jason Hart still here?

Is Beno the 1st PG off the bench?

pache100
12-19-2005, 11:56 AM
Is Jason Hart still here?

Is Beno the 1st PG off the bench?

I just thought that meant Jason didn't work out, and they felt they needed some additional insurance to go along with Beno - he is still here - and that Nick coincidentally became available and was willing to sign with the Spurs for the money they could offer him.

I did not know that meant they were pining for Speedy. You win.

Phenomanul
12-19-2005, 01:51 PM
One of Stern's henchmen, Russ G... , will now fine Claxton for making remarks that will influence and interfere with the free-agent market.... :hat

angel_luv
12-19-2005, 08:13 PM
Everybody wants to be a Spur! :)

exstatic
12-19-2005, 08:30 PM
I'll always have a fondness for Speedy. He almost made me total my Jeep on I35 after game 6 in 2003. I was on my way to get my T-shirts, and he dropped an F-bomb from the locker room on live radio. I couldn't stop laughing. :lol

That being said, I'd never want him back. His injury track record is worse than Camby's. Some players just can't stay healthy.

E20
12-19-2005, 08:55 PM
What kind of injuries does Speedy have?

sprrs
12-19-2005, 09:05 PM
I would love for Speedy to come back. If I'm not mistaken NVE's contract is only for one year, and I'm not sure what they'd do with him after the year is up. Speedy would be a great choice to replace him, and he is familiar with the Spurs system

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-19-2005, 09:09 PM
Nice of you two to leave out half the quote, here let me help:

along with giving you more responsibility and a higher profile position

SequSpur
12-20-2005, 07:54 AM
Speedy is a stud.

Beno is a piece of shit.

ManuTastic
12-20-2005, 08:49 AM
I would LOVE to have Speedy back next year. See ya Nick the (used to be) Quick. Bye Bye Beno.

T Park
12-20-2005, 10:10 AM
See ya Nick the (used to be) Quick

Of course, cause he hasnt played well, or had good games at all this year.

Moron.

If Speedy wants to come back, bring him back, no questions asked.

Package Beno the Dumbfuck, and get a draft pick.

Use whatever it takes to bring Speedy back if need be.

polandprzem
12-20-2005, 12:01 PM
I'm with pache100 :)