PDA

View Full Version : Mavs' Armstrong fined for Redskins taunt

Jimcs50
12-19-2005, 09:05 AM
Mavs' Armstrong fined for Redskins taunt
Johnson: 'Hungry' Griffin gives Mavericks another timely boost

04:26 AM CST on Monday, December 19, 2005
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Darrell Armstrong couldn't pass up the chance.

And Avery Johnson couldn't let it pass without a fine.

Armstrong was asked to give a pregame Christmas wish to fans at American Airlines Center Sunday night and he couldn't resist trumpeting his favorite NFL team.

After wishing the crowd a safe and happy holiday, Armstrong added: "And how about those Redskins?"

The point guard has been a Washington fan since he was a kid.

After the game, Johnson divulged that the backup point guard was fined $1,000 for his impromptu support of the Redskins, who beat the Cowboys 35-7 on Sunday, severely denting their playoff hopes.

"We were all sitting around the TV rooting for the Cowboys," Johnson said. "So we're going to call our friends over there to see where they want the money sent."

Also, in the locker room before the game, Josh Howard (a true Carolina Panthers fan) added that his team was "going to finish the job next week," in regard to the Cowboys' playoff hopes.

What a bunch of crap. He was just having some fun and even Cuban laughes about it. It was just him mocking Jimmy Johnson's "How about those Cowboys" nausiating line that he used to say afater every Cowboy win.

Fuck Cuban! :cuss

ducks
12-19-2005, 09:52 AM
in his contract it says he must root for the cowgirls?

Taco
12-19-2005, 10:00 AM
I Am A Huge Cowboy's Fan But I Think The Fine Was Stupid

Marcus Bryant
12-19-2005, 10:05 AM
Avery runs a tight ship. If Cuban doesn't fuck things up, the Mavs will be making some noise in the postseason fairly soon.

Jimcs50
12-19-2005, 10:38 AM
Now the NBA means the No Beguilement Association, I guess.

:rolleyes

ducks
12-19-2005, 11:57 AM
I think he should take them to court if it is not in the contract he signed

ShoogarBear
12-19-2005, 11:04 PM
C'mon, I think even the fine was in good fun. I bet Darrell had no problems paying it.

JMarkJohns
12-20-2005, 12:32 AM
My guess is that the fine had more to do with Armstrong breaking off from the intended "Christmas greetings/wishes" segment and into his own thoughts.

Wasn't so much for content, rather him making it hiw own forum.

Howard was critical of the Cowboys as well. He did so in a more private setting and nothing was done. Had Armstrong not said it to the audience, no fine would have been handed out. He just shouldn't have broke rank during that segment.

cecil collins
12-20-2005, 06:18 AM
C'mon, I think even the fine was in good fun. I bet Darrell had no problems paying it.
I don't think there are 1000 dollar fines that are in good fun. I realize they make a lot of money, but it is still bullshit. I thought it was funny, but then again, I'm not a cowboys fan. Hopefully the fans are not that hotheaded.

greywheel
12-20-2005, 11:21 AM
I don't think there are 1000 dollar fines that are in good fun. I realize they make a lot of money, but it is still bullshit. I thought it was funny, but then again, I'm not a cowboys fan. Hopefully the fans are not that hotheaded.

Yeah, it was wierd to hear the Dallas Media and Mark Cuban trying to explain it as 'having fun with Darrell'. The better offered theory was they were just trying to be PC with the Cowboy fans and Jerry Jones.

But knowing Mark Cuban, he was probably fined for bringing up the NFL during an NBA game.

ShoogarBear
12-20-2005, 12:19 PM
Look, I don't claim to know the relationship of Darrell Armstrong, Cuban, and Avery. But everyone who's played organized sports knows it's common to levy kangaroo-court type "fines" for various silly indescretions. It's very easy to imagine that the $1000 "fine"/charity donation was by mutual agreement, and that Darrell figures he got his money's worth. Hell, I might pay $1000 for the chance to do that in front of a bunch of Cowboy fans.