PDA

View Full Version : Talking about TP's inconsistency

adrien
12-19-2005, 12:31 PM
IMO, the guy has proven he can step up every nignt at a high level.

In how many games did he disappear ? I only found one against the lakers on nov. 29.

He definitely deserves to be an AS and he diserves to be considered a top 5 PG.

pache100
12-19-2005, 12:36 PM
IMO, the guy has proven he can step up every nignt at a high level.

In how many games did he disappear ? I only found one against the lakers on nov. 29.

He definitely deserves to be an AS and he diserves to be considered a top 5 PG.

:tu

boutons
12-19-2005, 12:37 PM
yep, it's brand new TP this season. Amazing.

ducks
12-19-2005, 12:42 PM
tp=mvp of spurs right now

pache100
12-19-2005, 12:47 PM
tp=mvp of spurs right now

http://tinypic.com/ive6ue.gif

Vingianx
12-19-2005, 12:52 PM
This is the season TP raises his game to an All-star level and will most likely be voted in..if not by the fans then the coaches will certainly send him to Houston to play....

pache100
12-19-2005, 12:59 PM
The AllStar game is nothing more than a popularity contest. It has little to do with who is the best player in any given position. The fans who vote the most often get to see their players. It's not that significant an indicator of a players achievements, make the team or not.

FromWayDowntown
12-19-2005, 01:00 PM
BTW Elton Brand deserves to be the starting power forward for the West.

Sure -- Brand looked particularly dominant being taken behind the woodshed by Tim Duncan a week ago.

But what has Tim Duncan done lately, right? I mean an unparalleled resume of excellence in this era isn't enough to get one voted to start in an All-Star game -- unless one is someone like Tracy McGrady I guess . . . .

As for Parker, he's had as good or better an opening run in this season than guys like Baron Davis, which is saying a lot. Tony's had a better opening run this season than Manu did last year. Obviously, Nash and Kobe will be guards on the West team, but if Parker plays well for the next 3-4 weeks, he's going to get lots and lots of votes from the West coaches, much as Manu did last year. And getting lots and lots of votes from West coaches will make it more and more likely that the kid will be in Houston for the All-Star game.

I don't understand why there is so much dislike for Parker around the NBA -- so many who are willing to suggest that he's not very good. He's clearly the 2nd most talented player on an elite team, and he improves several facets of his game every year. And he's only 23. Maybe its a resistance to the inevitable fact that Parker is in the process of becoming a destructive force in the league, but whatever it is, it's a bit tiresome.

bigzak25
12-19-2005, 01:11 PM
i was looking at the paper this morning and i am impressed with his FG%.

i must give him major props for that. :tu

myhc
12-19-2005, 01:12 PM
I doubt he makes the ASG.

The top guards to make it for sure are.

Nash, Kobe, Davis...

Long shot for Parker....

Ginobili won't make it either..

I've seen people crying about TMac leading the votes even when he was injured and missed a ton of games.

Would you say the same about Ginobili if he makes it?

But like I said I doubt it.

The Only one who will probably make it is Duncan and in a reserve role, remember, he's third in the balloting right now amoung forwards.

it's pretty obvious he won't get voted in by the fans but i think if he keeps playing the way he is, the coaches will. who do you see the coaches voting in? at this point i see ray allen and jason richardson being voted in along with tony as the reserves. they won't take 2 guards from golden state.

Spurminator
12-19-2005, 01:17 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/gamelog?statsId=3330

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/gamelog?statsId=3174

ChumpDumper
12-19-2005, 01:18 PM
He's inconsistent, one game he scores 20 21 points the other 12 or 13...what's up with that?Tell me why Billups does that.

1Parker1
12-19-2005, 01:18 PM
^Parker has been one of the most consistent guards this season...more so than even Kobe and Baron. Are you trying to tell me that Kobe doesn't score 40 points one game then goes 8-30 the next 2 nights?

Duncanoypi
12-19-2005, 01:19 PM
^ huh?! :rolleyes (to detroit fan)

leemajors
12-19-2005, 01:20 PM
i don't know, it's like some teams are different than others. maybe some teams play parker differently, but why would they do that?

myhc
12-19-2005, 01:22 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/gamelog?statsId=3330

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/gamelog?statsId=3174

rip hamiltion and chauncey billups? definitely not all star material with all that inconsistency.

1Parker1
12-19-2005, 01:30 PM
Tony is averaging 20.3 points, 4 rebounds, and 6.1 assists on 54.4% shooting. :tu

1Parker1
12-19-2005, 01:32 PM
rip hamiltion and chauncey billups? definitely not all star material with all that inconsistency.

:lol They're def All Star material, and I don't know why you think they're inconsistent...

If you really think about it, there really is no consistent player in the NBA. Everyone has off nights and no one player plays awesome for 82 games straight.

hendrix
12-19-2005, 01:32 PM
His 3pt FG% : .250 (3-12)
His FG% : .544 (how many layups in that?)

Oh yeah, and he's definetly the 2nd most talented player behind Rasho.

ChumpDumper
12-19-2005, 01:47 PM
I sure hope you're not even comparing Billups to Parker right?I'm asking why Billups is inconsistent.

ChumpDumper
12-19-2005, 01:51 PM
Not as much as Parker...This year his scoring is just as inconsistent if not more.

So why is that?

1Parker1
12-19-2005, 01:52 PM
I sure hope you're not even comparing Billups to Parker right?

I think we can sum up all your posts to the following:

Billups>>>Parker
Rip>>>>>>Manu
Rasheed + Big Ben>>>>>>Duncan
Tayshuan>>>>>Bruce

Heat, Pacers, Pistons, Mavs, Lakers>>>>>>>>Spurs

We get it, Buddy.

1Parker1
12-19-2005, 01:53 PM
This year his scoring is just as inconsistent if not more.

So why is that?

You think Billups has been inconsistent this season? I haven't been following the Pistons regularly, but everytime I do catch a recap, Billups seems to be having a great season...

ChumpDumper
12-19-2005, 01:54 PM
You think Billups has been inconsistent this season?Just his scoring, like Parker's that the troll factor has pointed out. I'm asking him why and he can't say anything.

1Parker1
12-19-2005, 01:55 PM
^^He's averaging something like 18 ppg...

pache100
12-19-2005, 01:55 PM

Billups>>>Parker
Rip>>>>>>Manu
Tayshuan>>>>>Bruce

We get it, Buddy.

And yet...

http://tinypic.com/ivfiwg.jpg

ChumpDumper
12-19-2005, 01:56 PM
He's inconsistent, one game he scores 20 21 points the other 12 or 13...what's up with that?Billups does this as much if not more than Tony.

Is he inconsistent?

ChumpDumper
12-19-2005, 02:01 PM
Firts of all, I'm not a troll, if you want respect, give respect..Of course you are a troll and I have no respect for you.
About your question I think is becuase Billups is getting his teammates a bigger role this season..

We have so many good players that not everything runs through Billups anymore.So if he's not the 1st option he doesn't have to be consistent.

leemajors
12-19-2005, 02:01 PM
^^He's averaging something like 18 ppg...

parker is averaging 20ppg. x factor doesn't seem to understand some basic mathematical concepts. you find out an average by adding all of the points scored in games, then dividing by the number of games played. so, a player can average 20 ppg by scoring 12, 28, 24, 16... and so on.

ducks
12-19-2005, 02:19 PM
Not as much as Parker...

Remember Billups has a MVP trophy....

Parker usually disappears in the Finals, I remember Claxton bail him out during the 2003 Finals...

And last year was not the exception.

speedy was not with the spurs last year :smokin

Lady M
12-19-2005, 02:22 PM
Not as much as Parker...

Parker usually disappears in the Finals, I remember Claxton bail him out during the 2003 Finals...

2003 TP was 21
2004 Billups was 28 when he was 21 he made his first season with 11.1 pts and 4.3 ass
please compare what you can compare
A PG become very good when he's 25 or 26 so Tony can progress
this year Tony and Chauncey are great and consistant
I think they must be all star

E20
12-19-2005, 02:28 PM
The thing about Billups, he's not the clear cut 1st option.

If Hamiltion is on then of course Rip will take the majority of the shots. Leaving everybody else with less points.

There were a couple of games where Rasheed was playing well (points wise) and everybody else wasn't.

I think you should take into account other people's points during games if you're going to critique Billups, I mean they're like the Spurs, they have so different options that it will be hard for 1 person to be the statistical leader.

ducks
12-19-2005, 02:28 PM
he did?
he was more constant then alot of the pistons
what happened to sheed wallace?
last I checked pistons lost not spurs

Admidave50
12-19-2005, 03:08 PM
man TP is only 23, look how Billups was a shit at this age!

TP is way better than Billups at the same age.

adrien
12-19-2005, 03:11 PM
TP said recently he wants to play in the NBA until he is 35-36 years old just like Sam Cassell. If he keeps the level he has risen to, he can beat some records. (thinking of the most playoff games played in a career)

MI21
12-19-2005, 09:42 PM
Not only is Tony scoring, but he is assisting (6.1), stealing (1.3) and rebounding (4.0).

20/6/4 is approaching a level of all around goodness that you can't help but love.

Tony is 7th overall in RPG for a PG whilst playing less MPG than everyone in front of him.

He is only 14th overall in APG for for PG's, but that is slowly rising and we all know how the Spurs offense isn't the most conjusive to assists. All but 4 of those above him play more minutes.

He is 3rd in scoring behind AI and Arena's, who obviously shoot a lot more than Tony, but never the less, are obviously better scorers too and score a lot more PPG. They also play far more minutes than Tony, but it is easy to see they are elite scorers.

Tony is 1st in FG% by a huge margin. No one is even close.

Bottom line is that the consistency issue (which hasn't been that great of a problem for about 12 months now) has pretty much dissapeared. Opposition fans claiming inconsistency are either fucked in the head or do not watch the Spurs enough. And before anyone says stats lie, well I watch the games, and these ones don't.

Solid D
12-19-2005, 09:59 PM
Good post, MI21, as usual.

Kori Ellis
12-19-2005, 10:03 PM
I've said repeatedly that when Spurs fans complain about Tony's "inconsisency" it's because they don't watch enough basketball outside of the Spurs.

For example, this season, Billups has six games where he scored 14 points or less for the Pistons. Tony has only four games where he scored 14 points or less for the Spurs.

Look around the league. All point guards (no, all players) are up and down. They are human beings, not machines.

Nikos
12-19-2005, 10:35 PM
Parker hasn't been inconsistent at all this season. His turnovers are a little high and his outside and FT shooting are still shaky, but that is nitpicking. Tony is playing to his strengths like previous seasons, but capitilizing on them consistently more thus far in 2005.

The inconsistency I think stems from his past playoff performances. He flirted with near greatness as a PG in a few games in EVERY single playoff campaign, but he also had a few horrible games at crucial times to follow up that really shouldn't have happened to the degree they did. A lot of times he ends up with decent FG %'s in many playoff games, but he takes a lot of shots and makes little FT's or 3pters, which means he isn't really all that efficient unless he is scorching from the field. But so far this season, he has been so hot scoring wise, it doesn't matter if he shoots 50% from the line.

Think of games where Manu is 4/10 from the field but like 9-9 from the FT line (with 2 baskets being a 3pters) for a total of 19pts on 14 1/2 scoring possesions -- this is more efficient then a 6/12 FG shooting game with 2-5 from the FT line or something like that, where the player gets 12pts on 14 1/2 scoring possesions. The %'s look nice for Tony and so-so for Manu, but it is deceiving if the player doesn't get to the line or hit three pointers.

There is a stat for this kind of thing called True Shooting Percentage (which is essentially points per possesion, factoring 3pt shots, regular FG attempts, and FT attempts). This is much more accurate then pure FG%.

This season Parker has the highest True Shooting % of his career at 57% (averaged around 51-52% in years past), and is scoring at a much higher rate per minute then ever. I hope he keeps it up, because he is playing like a Top 2-3 PG thus far. Billups might be the only PG I think is clearly playing better right now. Arenas might be on the same level thus far -- after that Steve Nash and Chris Paul are probably playing a little below these guys.

I think Parker will always get roasted after every game he lays an egg and this knee jerk reaction is mostly due to his erratic playoff play. He just needs to maintain this high level of play in the playoffs to get the respect that Manu got last playoffs. Parker is capable of doing it, and is probably the second most talented Spur (at least offensively) -- but he has to do it consistently in the playoffs and keep it up for the rest of this regular season. I gauruntee he will get the respect he deserves (All Star), and when and if he maintains his all star level play in the playoffs. I hope Tony can do it. He has the talent to be a Top 5 PG for years to come, but it's up to him to capitalize on it. He has great teamattes that make it a little bit easier for him to be efficient on offense and effective on defense (and he makes it easier for them as well). So this is the time for Parker to stamp his consistent All-Star game and talent on the NBA.

So far he has answered the call. Keep it up Tony. You are the difference between this team barely winning the title or losing it AND winning it convincingly while helping this team find its maximum potential.

ducks
12-19-2005, 10:53 PM
:00.9 DET - C. Billups misses an 11-foot jumper along the left baseline
OUCH HE COULD HAVE WON IT FOR PISTONS!
KArma is a bitch piston fan daring a spur fan comparing tp to him

Nikos
12-19-2005, 11:21 PM

You were saying ducks? :lol

Billups 30pts 9asts 0turnovers and the game winning shot. Not bad.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
12-19-2005, 11:22 PM

And yet he did win it for the Pistons...

30 pts, 9 A and the key stat...

0 TOs in 45 minutes

EDIT: Nikos and I think alike...

ducks
12-19-2005, 11:26 PM
no assist in either overtime
the last 2 minutes he was clutch in second over time one big three and the game winner
rip got him to that point
damon was more clutch in overtime then billips

TDMVPDPOY
12-19-2005, 11:27 PM

Billups>>>Parker
Rip>>>>>>Manu
Tayshuan>>>>>Bruce

We get it, Buddy.

unfortunately you forgot hawks, HORNETS >>>>>spurs :(

RobinsontoDuncan
12-19-2005, 11:41 PM
I have been saying for a while now that Tony is the second best player on the spurs, and by far the most explosive. If tony continues to play at this level i think you guys will see what i mean (for those who dont already agree) tony has historically keyed the spurs in the playoffs when they are successful, as in when parker plays well the spurs do well. The problem has also been that refs dont respect him that much, or just dont give a shit.

In 04 Karl Malone hit tony like he was a professional wrestler, in the denver series...well jesus who didnt hit all the spurs guards like they were rag dolls. Manu can finish through that because he is a bigger guy, but tony is my size, and i cant imagine finishing a layup after getting raped by Marcus camby.

You pistons fans know that your bigs beat the shit out of tony and werent called for it too, so dont pretend to be ignorant.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
12-19-2005, 11:45 PM
You pistons fans know that your bigs beat the shit out of tony and werent called for it too, so dont pretend to be ignorant.

And Bowen clutched, grabbed and held Billups and Hamilton.

What's your point?

MI21
12-20-2005, 12:21 AM
And Bowen clutched, grabbed and held Billups and Hamilton.

What's your point?

Are you trying to say Bruce Bowen is the best defender in the league?

Anyhoo, comparing Billups and Parker is a pretty hard thing to do. They rely on different strengths and have somewhat different mindsets towards the game. The one glaring difference is that Parker is still only 23 and at the very worst he is slightly less of a player than Chauncey. Parker's prime is probably going to be in 2 years or so and last untill he is around 30ish.

What we are seeing from Billups right now is his prime. He has had the years in the league to develop his jumpshot, playmaking, decision making and all around game. What we are seeing from Tony right now is the maturation from him going from being a young player turning into a seasoned player heading for his best years. I'm sure when Tony is 28 he is going to have a far better jumpshot, be a more heady player and just generally more composed.

I'm not saying that players have to be the same age to compare them to each other, but a 5 year age gap is huge. Chauncey is the better player at the moment, but even by the end of this season, that could be no more.

PS - Can anyone believe that Parker is still only 23? If only the Spurs had of traded for Payton :)

gameFACE
12-20-2005, 12:48 AM
And last year Claxton wasn't there, but Parker disappeared anyway.
Not totally. If I recall he played some pretty good D on Hamilton. Specifcally Game 5 after Horry's infamous trey. Tony was on Rip like a hawk and prevented Rip from from providing any Piston miracle. I wouldn't measure Tony's contributions strictly on PPG.

MI21
12-20-2005, 01:20 AM
And last year Claxton wasn't there, but Parker disappeared anyway.

Fucked in the head.

Game 1 - 15 points (7/17FG), 4 rebounds, 3 assists in a demolition of the Pistons. Obviously played his role solidly in this game. Chauncey had a good game also.

Parker - 1 The X-Factor - 0

Game 2 - 12 points (6/9FG), 2 assists, 1 rebound in only 28 minutes during another demolition of the Pistons. Held Chauncey to an average game.

Parker - 2 The X-Factor - 0

Game 3 - 21 points (8/16FG), 4 assists, 2 rebounds in a big Pistons win. Just about the only Spur to show up in this game. Chauncey had a very good game.

Parker - 3 The X-Factor - 0

Game 4 - 12 points (6/13FG), 4 assists, 4 rebounds in a huge loss. One of only 3 Spurs players to do anything, although nothing outstanding. Chauncey had a good game, nothing outstanding either, just average.

Parker - 4 The X-Factor - 0

Game 5 - 14 points (7/15FG), 3 assists, 2 rebounds and most importantly the Defense on Rip was suffocting. Didn't even come close to hitting a game winner. That defense was as good as hitting a shot to win a game. Chauncey had a beauty, but Tony wasn't terrible. Spurs win a tight one.

Parker - 5 The X-Factor - 0

Game 6 - 15 points (7/15FG's), 5 assists, 2 rebounds. Solid game, Chauncey with a nice performance as well. Detroit win a surprsing one with solid performances across the board.

Parker - 6 The X-Factor - 0

Game 7 - 8 points (3/11FG's), 3 assists, 2 rebounds. Not one player scored on Tony for 47 minutes and 50 seconds. Considering he guarded a mixture of Billups/Hamilton, that's fucking amazing. Needless to say, neither Billups or Hamilton had good nights, so Tony did a job.

Parker - 7 The X-Factor - 0

There we have it. 7 games that Tony showed up in, not 7 games Tony dissapeared. We all know that Tony was outplayed by Chauncey badly sometimes, but he did not dissapear. He contributed in every game, one way or another. He realised when he wasn't scoring well, and didn't jack up 18/20 shots, instead letting Manu take over like only few can do :D

Considering the Spurs essentially had no backup PG (Udrih couldn't bring the ball up), Tony did a solid job for the series. Perhaps thinking about things, and reliving what happened that series would be a smart idea before posting utter bullshit. Bring a solid take next time, for the sake of the forum.

5ToolMan
12-20-2005, 01:53 PM
Not as much as Parker...

Disappear? Yawn ... At 23 years old Billips was again leading his third of five teams to nowhere while averaging 13.9Pts & 3.8Asts. At 23 years old Tony has two Rings and is now statistically among the NBA's best PG's, as he leads a Championship Team bringing; 20.1 Pts. & 6.1Asts per game.

Career wise, Billips will most likely be a small bump in the road compared to the eventual greatness of Tony Parker.

I really hope you are not stupid enough to try to compare the greatness Billips to Parker. Billips is an average player with average career production who is now in the midst of his prime. Parker is a 23 year old budding superstar who has SIX years to improve before he is Billips current age and in the midst of his prime. Still, with Billips in his prime, at the best he will ever be, Tony's production at 23 is certainly at comparable levels, despite your displayed bias and ignorance.

leemajors
12-20-2005, 01:59 PM
parker is already a superstar. seen who is sitting in the stands cheering for him?

5ToolMan
12-20-2005, 02:05 PM
Firts of all, I'm not a troll, if you want respect, give respect..

About your question I think is becuase Billups is getting his teammates a bigger role this season..

We have so many good players that not everything runs through Billups anymore.

The Pistons do have a well balanced offense. At lease in their starting five. However, an unbiased observer might recognize the Spurs starting five PLUS Finley, NVE, Barry and Horry have more potential weapons. Like Billips, Tony has other weapons to utilize, that if exploited when hot, will limit his nightly production from time to time.

leemajors
12-20-2005, 02:31 PM
trolls post aimlessly, just trying to provoke. you are making us miss mouse - at least he was funny.