PDA

View Full Version : How would you legitimize 3rd parties in the US?

DeSPURado
08-13-2004, 02:59 AM
The question is how far would you go to make third parties and their candidates legitimate??? The poll should be read as inclusive so that each answer may include the ones before it.

MannyIsGod
08-13-2004, 03:35 AM
lots of different things, but actual open debates and run offsare a great place to start.

Spurminator
08-13-2004, 10:36 AM
I don't think I'd change anything.

It's just up to us to make sure legitimate Third Party candidates get enough support (via petition, vote, etc.) to have their voices heard.

MannyIsGod
08-13-2004, 10:51 AM
you might want to read into some of the laws that have been passed right here in texas that prevent independent cantidates ballot access.

Joe Chalupa
08-13-2004, 10:59 AM
Can't you write them in?

Spurminator
08-13-2004, 11:03 AM
Are you talking about the 65,000 signatures it takes to get an Independent candidate on the ballot? If there's enough interest in their candidacy, they shouldn't have a problem getting those signatures.

Nader did, he was just late.

MannyIsGod
08-13-2004, 11:14 AM
thats part of it.

however, i'm more talking about the unfairness of the signature laws, mainly that it only takes 45,000 for a 3rd party cantidate, but 20 thousand for an independent. and why is the deadline so far ahead of the elections/

the main thing that got me, were laws that were changed to prevent signatures from being attained. in fort worth for example, nader supporters werne't allowed to collect sigs at a public festival because they had changed city laws to term the petitioners as solicitors.

what the **** are they selling/ hmm, laws passed by republicans and democrats to make things harder/

Spurminator
08-13-2004, 11:32 AM
I would imagine Third Parties have less stringent requirements because being part of a "party" lends the candidate some credibility that Independents don't necessarily have. While Ralph Nader is certainly a legitimate candidate, Willie "Big Cheese" Johnson probably is not.

Of course, I'm not sure where the line is drawn between Independents and Third Parties... For example, is Xanadu III of the Jupiter Repopulationist Party a Third Party Candidate, or an Independent?

Really, I just think there should be realistic requirements to get on the ballot, receive funds, get in on debates, etc.... Nothing overboard, but we can't allow clutter for the sake of letting everyone who wants to run for President have an equal voice as the most likely candidates.

Hook Dem
08-13-2004, 11:33 AM
Gotta agree with you on that one Manny.

Spurminator
08-13-2004, 11:36 AM
I would agree that the Ft. Worth incident was not reasonable.

Tommy Duncan
08-13-2004, 12:11 PM
Ultimately it comes down to individuals realizing that they are not bound to support either party. I had no problem voting Libertarian in 2000 and I will do the same again this year.

ducks
05-03-2020, 11:40 PM
Any more thoughts on this

slick'81
05-04-2020, 04:01 AM
Any more thoughts on this

im going to get you a plunger for christmas. Just because u keep bringing up old shit

Spurtacular
05-04-2020, 04:02 AM
Rank choice voting. Chumpettes don't want it.

ElNono
05-04-2020, 04:10 AM
Rank choice voting. Chumpettes don't want it.

Didn't the Democratic party use it in a number of States in the primary?

DMC
05-04-2020, 04:53 AM
The parties are like corporations - they will not allow competition but they do cooperate with each other to ensure no outside parties get traction.

boutons_deux
05-04-2020, 05:57 AM
3rd party, 4th party, any party is legit

there, wasn't that easy?

recently, 3rd parties have been essential to electing godawful, motherfucking Repugs by splitting the Dem vote in insanely close counts in key states.

Spurtacular
05-04-2020, 12:45 PM
Didn't the Democratic party use it in a number of States in the primary?

DNC doesn't want. Repubs don't want it either if you need to make yourself feel better.