PDA

View Full Version : Choosing the leading Brand

lilmads
12-20-2005, 03:34 PM
By Greg Anthony
ESPN Insider
To me, the Most Valuable Player award should always go the player who has the greatest impact in making his team a winner. Individual stats can be deceiving -- the MVP isn't necessarily the best player statistically.

But my current leader in the MVP race is impressive by any measure of numbers, and he's boosting a team to some newfound winning ways. That kind of combination is tough to beat. So here's how the chase stacks up:

Brand
1. Elton Brand, Clippers forward -- The Clippers are in first place. I don't think anybody in their right mind would have said that coming into the season. Brand's scoring at a career-high average (25.0), but what's most impressive is his turnovers are down to a career-low 2.0 per game. He's an undersized (6-8) power forward who never takes a night off. I think he can keep up this MVP pace; the question is, can his team keep pace with him?

2. Allen Iverson, Sixers guard -- The most intimidating ballplayer at 6-foot to ever play the game has matured. He's got his team in first in the worst division, but that still means a playoff berth. The NBA's leading scorer (33.4) is shooting better than he ever has (45 percent). And he's flirting with a career-low in turnovers (3.0). Impressive.

3. Steve Nash, Suns guard -- You couldn't have an MVP list without last year's winner. Nash has kept his team in the thick of things without Amare. And I think he's playing much better D this year than in years past.

4. Tim Duncan, Spurs forward -- His numbers (20 ppg, 12 rpg) never blow you away, but his game does. When you look at his overall impact, you've got to put him on the list. He's the best power forward to play the game when you judge him on what he's done -- win, and win a lot.

5. LeBron James, Cavaliers forward. He and his team are obviously getting better, and the offensive numbers show it. But he's been poor defensively since he's come into the league. He's got to become more dominant defensively. When he does that, that's when his whole team goes to another level.

ON THE FIVE FRINGE
Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki and Lakers guard Kobe Bryant are two guys who have stood out, and one of them could end up winning it. It's not like a top five and big drop. The Lakers' team is playing great D, much better than they did than did a year ago. Dirk has continued to take his game to another level as a leader. Statistically he's always been there.

MVP-LIKE SEASONS, BUT WITH LITTLE CHANCE TO WIN
Celtics forward Paul Pierce is having a phenomenal season. Now if he played on better team with a point guard. . .

Nuggets center Marcus Camby changes a game defensively. This is his best season ever for rebounds (NBA-leading 13.3 per game). Where would Denver be without him?

And of course, Timberwolves forward Kevin Garnett is exceptional. What else is new?

Finally, how about the MVP for the Detroit Pistons starting five? The durabilty and the teamwork they put out is worthy of the game's highest individual honor.

Pistons < Spurs
12-20-2005, 03:44 PM
Finally, how about the MVP for the Detroit Pistons starting five? The durabilty and the teamwork they put out is worthy of the game's highest individual honor.

:tu :tu :tu :tu :fro

FreshPrince22
12-20-2005, 03:47 PM
I love how he says the MVP is about winning and not stats, then he lists Iverson as the 2nd MVP. Meanwhile AI's team struggles to stay at .500 :rolleyes And that includes playing Toronto 3 times, Charlotte twice, Portland, NY, Atlanta, etc.
________
Grace cam (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/Grace)

td4mvp21
12-20-2005, 09:01 PM
IMO, its really only between Brand (for the Clippers' resurgence), Nash (for keeping the team together in Amare's absense), and Duncan (because he's Duncan).

Obstructed_View
12-23-2005, 12:39 AM
I love how he says the MVP is about winning and not stats, then he lists Iverson as the 2nd MVP. Meanwhile AI's team struggles to stay at .500 :rolleyes And that includes playing Toronto 3 times, Charlotte twice, Portland, NY, Atlanta, etc.

Yeah, I was wondering about that. He says "individual stats can be deceiving" and then rattles off Iverson's scoring, fg% and turnovers.

Prefontaine
12-23-2005, 02:08 AM
i wonder how many pun-fueled article titles the poor guy (brand) has to put up with? :depressed

TDMVPDPOY
12-23-2005, 03:16 AM
we all know by the end of the season duncan will be lifting that mvp with his finals mvp n championship trophy