PDA

View Full Version : Goss: I'm unqualified to work for CIA

DeSPURado
08-12-2004, 04:01 AM
If there ever was a time to pick someone with 20+ years experience in Intelligence Gathering and Millitary command. Now was the time to do it. If there was ever a time to not pick a moderately qualified politician, now was the time. They should have picked somebody with a millitary background who knew what it is like to have people lives resting upon their decisions. They should have picked somebody who could coordinate intelligence gathering systems with Millitary precision. Someone who would not afraid to bark up the chain of command when people lives are at risk. Not a politician.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Congressman Porter Goss, President Bush's nominee for CIA director, could be his own worst enemy when it comes to making the case that he deserves to lead the U.S. intelligence agency.

"I couldn't get a job with CIA today. I am not qualified," the Florida Republican told documentary-maker Michael Moore's production company during the filming of the anti-Bush movie "Fahrenheit 9/11."

A day after Bush picked Goss for the top U.S. spy job, Moore on Wednesday released an excerpt from a March 3 interview in which the 65-year-old former House of Representatives intelligence chief recounts his lack of qualifications for employment as a modern CIA staffer.

"I don't have the language skills. I, you know, my language skills were romance languages and stuff. We're looking for Arabists today. I don't have the cultural background probably," Goss is quoted in an interview transcript.

"And I certainly don't have the technical skills, uh, as my children remind me every day: 'Dad you got to get better on your computer.' Uh, so, the things that you need to have, I don't have."

Goss, who served with the CIA clandestine services in Latin America and Europe in the 1960s, was not immediately available for comment.

He appears in Moore's film, the most financially successful documentary in history, during a segment devoted to the USA Patriot Act, an anti-terrorism measure.

Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=politicsNews&storyID=5944517)

DeSPURado
08-12-2004, 04:04 AM
WASHINGTON, Aug. 11 - A dozen Senate Democrats suggested Wednesday that they would not oppose President Bush's nomination of Representative Porter J. Goss as director of central intelligence, but they vowed to use his confirmation hearings to amplify their concerns over fatal intelligence failures under this administration.

Senator Pat Roberts, the Kansas Republican who is chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, said he expected to open the confirmation hearings the first week of September. He also predicted that Mr. Goss, a Florida Republican, would be confirmed.

In interviews, none of the Senate Democrats disputed that prediction. In fact, no Democratic senator declared an intention to oppose the nomination outright. Many said they were unhappy with what they perceived as Mr. Goss's excessive partisanship, but they said they would withhold judgment until the hearings.

Privately, some Democrats said the nomination put them in a difficult political position. The C.I.A. has already gone two months without a replacement for George J. Tenet as director. The Democrats said that if they opposed the Goss nomination, they expected that the White House would cast them as obstructionists who were delaying prosecution of the war on terror.

NYTimes (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/12/politics/12goss.html?hp)

Bandit2981
08-12-2004, 03:03 PM
funny how all these people are flip floppers eh?

Yonivore
08-12-2004, 10:12 PM
The quotes are out of the context that he couldn't be hired on as an operative these days because he lacked the language skills, etc...

The interview had nothing to do with him managing the CIA.

Nbadan
08-13-2004, 03:55 AM
Goss admits He's Not Qualified (http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/goss.php)

:lol