PDA

View Full Version : Zellers fires man for saving chocolate

Marklar MM
12-21-2005, 08:55 PM
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2005/12/20/1361455-cp.html

ST-HYACINTHE, Que. (CP) - A single father of three fired for taking chocolate bars from a garbage bin at a Zellers store will get some Christmas cheer from a charitable organization.

Guy Masse, 47, had planned to give the discarded chocolate to his children, ages six, nine and 15, for Christmas.

Masse, who was on welfare and had been working at the store only for a couple of months, was first suspended and then fired.

"I think it's inhuman," Masse told CJAD radio station in Montreal of his dismissal.

Zellers, which is part of Toronto-based retailer Hudson's Bay Co., has said Masse should have notified his supervisor that he was taking the chocolate out of the garbage at the St-Hyacinthe store, about 50 kilometres east of Montreal.

"It's a very unfortunate situation. We would never have willingly let an associate go at this time of year without just cause," said HBC spokeswoman Hillary Stauth in an interview from Toronto.

"Unfortunately this associate breached the trust of his supervisors by removing merchandise from the store, and as a result, he was let go from his position."

Established in 1670, Hudson's Bay is Canada's largest department store chain and oldest company with more than 500 outlets, led by the Bay and Zellers chains.

Added Stauth: "We have over 70,000 across Canada. They work so hard especially at this time of year. It's very upsetting that one bad employee tarnished the reputation of everybody else."

Montreal's Sun Youth Organization said Tuesday that Masse's family will be provided for this Christmas.

"It's important to Sun Youth now that this family will have a Christmas that they deserve, food on the table and gifts for the kids," Sun Youth's Tommy Kulcyzk told CJAD.

exstatic
12-21-2005, 09:32 PM
What assholes. It was in the trash!

ShoogarBear
12-21-2005, 09:53 PM
Good job, Inspector Javert.

PM5K
12-21-2005, 10:09 PM
"Unfortunately this associate breached the trust of his supervisors by removing merchandise from the store, and as a result, he was let go from his position."

I'm confused, I thought he removed it from the trash can after it was discarded?

Guru of Nothing
12-21-2005, 10:21 PM

I'm confused, I thought he removed it from the trash can after it was discarded?

Bad journalism ... I have to assume that said employee did not throw the chocolate in the trash.

ShoogarBear
12-21-2005, 10:24 PM
Mlle. Stauth and Hudson Bay clearly consider the trash can as part of the store.

Guru of Nothing
12-21-2005, 10:27 PM
Mlle. Stauth and Hudson Bay clearly consider the trash can as part of the store.

The Bargain Bin.

Duff McCartney
12-21-2005, 10:29 PM
Actually that happens at alot of stores. I know at OD, sometimes they just throw away stuff and I'm like damn I want it. But they don't let you because they consider it an integrity issue.

Very odd that they consider trash to have some kinda integrity.

MannyIsGod
12-21-2005, 10:32 PM
Thats fucking retarded.

ShoogarBear
12-21-2005, 10:32 PM
The Bargain Bin.Touché.

Spurminator
12-21-2005, 11:03 PM
I knew a busboy that got fired for taking a bite from a plate on a table he was cleaning.

Probably not the same...

Vashner
12-21-2005, 11:16 PM
Yea.. My X used to work at a fancy joint and would bring home some bad ass left overs. But they put a policy to stop it.. because they figured that people would make extra stuff to "ohh look almond pasteries left over"...

But it was really me saying bring more shit home so I can eat it.

PM5K
12-21-2005, 11:20 PM
Yeah that just confused me. I thought maybe they meant that he through something out for the explicit purpose of taking it out of the trash, IE something that wasn't really trash.

I've also heard how stores have to destroy certain return items to get credit from the manufacturer....

I just think that in the grand scheme of things, and considering the time of year and what not that being reprimanded would have been a better idea...

Guru of Nothing
12-21-2005, 11:24 PM
Yea.. My X used to work at a fancy joint and would bring home some bad ass left overs. But they put a policy to stop it.. because they figured that people would make extra stuff to "ohh look almond pasteries left over"...

But it was really me saying bring more shit home so I can eat it.

Wow, you are a freeloading Democrat at heart.

1Parker1
12-21-2005, 11:51 PM
I don't know which is sadder; The fact that the poor man had to go through the trash to look for chocolate to give to his kids on the holiday or the fact that he got fired for it.

:depressed

Mr. Defense
12-21-2005, 11:58 PM
i mean, like, you get 3 or 99 cents at heb...how hard up is this guy?

i feel for him, but man. drop a buck for the kids dude.

Vashner
12-22-2005, 12:32 AM
Your gonna have to try better than that. Eating a pastery or a rosmary baked chicken is not a crime. OH LOOK Bush ate free too he's a freeloader at the Whitehouse.

T Park
12-22-2005, 12:44 AM

We all are.

Common sense and reality are what seperate the rest.

JMarkJohns
12-22-2005, 01:02 AM
If it wasn't Canadian, I'd boycot them. However, since it is Canadian, chances are I already do! Screw Canada!

http://www.webdevil.com/jp/CXR/jpg/blame%20canada.jpg

Good thing Nash was born in South Africa, eh?! :)

Vashner
12-22-2005, 01:24 AM
We talking some serious French Cooking....

You know they do eat good...

CosmicCowboy
12-22-2005, 10:14 AM
Taking merchandise out with the trash to retrieve from the dumpster later is a very common method of employee theft. Virtually all retail outlets have clear policies about removing things from the dumpster...

sucks for him but it sounds like there was more to this story than "bad" candy getting thrown away...

SpursWoman
12-22-2005, 10:21 AM
I don't know which is sadder; The fact that the poor man had to go through the trash to look for chocolate to give to his kids on the holiday or the fact that he got fired for it.

:depressed

No kidding. :depressed

ObiwanGinobili
12-22-2005, 10:26 AM
I worked retail once for a nbit and they would have all kinds of great stuff they were just throwing out.
they would scan it, count it as a loss and then have us "destroy" it in someway so that when we threw it out homeless people or dumpster divers wouldn't get anythign worthwhile when they dug threw our can.

One time we were throwing out like 200 tubes of colgate because they had the old packaging. We had to sit there with scissors and cut open the tubes and squeezeit half out.
fuckign ridicules.
If we had leftover holloween candy 2 weeks after the holiday we would throw that out too. BUt they would usually poor a cleaner on it in the trash bag to once again ruin it for potential dumpster divers.

I could not belive the shit we threw out.... perfectly good Ensure, bottles & bottles of Sunlight detergent, shampoo that half leaked. Pefrect pantyhose or socks with ruined packages.

retarded. they shoulda donated that shit. I asked about it and they said that noone accepted those doantions.

meanwhile if you laid your finger on one stinking peice of all this perfectly good shit they were just tossing i nthe trash you could get fired.
i knew a girl that got fired over an "expired" pack of gum she started chewing on while she was sitting back there "destroying" a big pile of merhcandise for them.