PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Pistons Chase NBA History

Pistons < Spurs
12-22-2005, 09:16 AM
http://pistons.realgm.com/articles/157/20051222/detroit_pistons_chase_nba_history/

During the course of the past 23 regular season games of the 2005 – 2006 NBA campaign, Joe Dumars and the Detroit Pistons have proven nothing short of extraordinary. With 20 wins and just 3 losses, this veteran team is off to their best start in franchise history. Not only is General Saunders and his basketball infantry outgunning their opponents by an average of 8.3 points per game (99.9 - 91.6 ppg), but they are also defeating their opponents using whatever means they deem necessary, whether it may be in a shootout or a grind it out affair.

However, as well as the Pistons have played thus far, many critics question whether or not this team will be able to continue this rapid pace of winning up over the course of an 82 game season. NBA fans around the nation may very well discover the answer to this question after the Pistons play Golden State, San Antonio, Toronto, Miami, and Cleveland over the course of the next ten days.

Should the Billups and company find a way to defeat these five foes, the wildly burning question will become not whether the 25 - 3 Pistons will be able to break the all time franchise record of 63 regular season victories set by the 1998 - 1989 NBA Champion Pistons; but whether the Pistons will be able to break the NBA record of 72 regular season victories set by Michael Jordan and the 1995-1996 World Champion Chicago Bulls . While accomplishing the latter appears to be a very tall order at this point in the season, the Pistons, if they continue to play the way they have been to this point, may very well pop up on the radar of the All Time Greatest NBA Teams.

James M. Morisette covers the Detroit Pistons and Lions for http://www.realgm.com. He can be reached at [email protected]

Extra Stout
12-22-2005, 09:39 AM
The Pistons are not going to win 72 games with a +8.3 point differential. They need to get up around +12 to have a shot.

DarkReign
12-22-2005, 12:13 PM
No, nope, and no way.

72 wins is completely out of the question.

I hope I am wrong, but until they are 50-5, I wont even mention it.

Sorry.

pawe
12-22-2005, 12:29 PM
Pistons are a great team no doubt but they havent played the contenders yet. Also, they still havent suffered any injuries from their gunners.

bdubya
12-22-2005, 12:49 PM
It's a great start, but I HATE hearing people talk like 72+ is a possibility.

I feel much more comfortable fretting about the bench scoring and the points-in-the-paint disparity... :depressed

FreshPrince22
12-22-2005, 03:26 PM
I feel much more comfortable fretting about the bench scoring and the points-in-the-paint disparity... :depressed

Bench scoring is BS. We have 5 legit 1st or 2nd option type guys (Billups, Rip, Tayshaun, Sheed, Dice). You know at least 2 or 3 of them is going to be on the floor with the bench, so those will be the guys that get most of the shots. If Rip and Sheed are out of the game we've got Chauncey, Tayshaun, and Dice. If Chauncey, Tayshaun, and Ben are out we've got Rip, Sheed, Dice, etc.

And we are not a "points in the paint" type of team, never have been. Our 6-11 Power Forward shoots 48% from three point land, and doesn't like to post up unless it's the 4th quarter. Our leading scorer rarely touches the ball for more than a second before it's headed toward the rim. Guys like that don't score tons of paint points on things other than fast breaks and back door cuts. Our best Post up player is our Point Guard. We just don't have people that go one-on-one and get to the rim. The one guy who can do that well is Carlos Delfino, and Tayshaun can on occasion. Luckily for us, Flip's offense gets us tons of wide open jumpers. That, we're pretty good at.

And yea, 72 wins is a joke. We won't get it.
________
Medical Cannabis Seeds (http://marijuanaseeds.org/)

JamStone
12-22-2005, 03:35 PM
72???

I'm thinking 75.

I mean, why not?

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
12-22-2005, 04:58 PM
20-3 is nice but they'd need to win another 21 in a row to match the Bulls 41-3 start in 95-96.

I forgot how bad they obliterated the rest of the league that year...

E20
12-22-2005, 05:49 PM
You think they'd beat the 33 wins in a row record?

SA Gunslinger
12-22-2005, 05:55 PM
Phoenix was 24-3 before SA spanked them by 21 last season.

Let's not start talking about history just yet.

FreshPrince22
12-22-2005, 06:12 PM
You think they'd beat the 33 wins in a row record?

No, you really have to get some help from your schedule and some serious luck to pull off that kind of win streak.

The problem with trying to go for 70 wins now is that towards the end of the season, if it's still possible, every team in the league that you play will be playing their ass off to beat you. When you're prepping for a title run, it's not good to have to expend so much energy facing worse teams that are all hopped up to try and make 70 impossible.
________
Vapir one v5.0 vaporizer review (http://vaporizerinfo.com/)

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
12-22-2005, 06:16 PM
They started off 10-2, and then proceeded to win 31 of their next 32 games = 41-3

pawe
12-22-2005, 10:17 PM
nah, i dont think they're gonna beat the record. they're yet to play the big guns. merry christmas to the pistons though..lol

JamStone
12-22-2005, 10:38 PM
Big guns?

Suns @ Phoenix, Clippers @ LA, Grizz @ Memphis, Mavs @ Dallas (even though it was one of the losses), Nets @ New Jersey, Sixers @ Philly, Warriors @ Golden State.

Those teams have been first or second in their division. And most of those games were ROAD games.

Pistons have already played 9 of their 15 road games against the Western Conference and won 7 of those 9.

Only "big guns" Pistons haven't faced are the Spurs, Heat, and Pacers.

Even if they split (let's be pessimistic and say 4-5) with those three teams, that's only 5 more losses. That's a total of 8 losses. That means the Pistons could still afford to lose 4 more losses against clearly inferior teams the rest of the season and still win 70 games. Back-to-back games are always tough, but Pistons are 5-2 in those second games of back-to-backs. Plus Pistons have already played one-third (33%) of their road games for the entire season. The first 18 games of their schedule were the toughest of the season. They went 15-3. Haven't lost since.

Now, will the Pistons win 70? Probably not. The probably won't even win 65 games. But, it's certainly possible. Health will be the biggest key. The end of December against Spurs, Heat, and Cavs will give a lot of insight as to how the rest of the season will go.

Rummpd
12-22-2005, 10:43 PM
Listen the Pistons are a darn good team but to start putting them in the Bulls category is inane. They barely won two games this week, you can give them the props for pulling them out but to call them an unbeatable team is inane.

They were saying the same things about the Suns last year as an above poster started, who got off to a similar start.

Last year the Spurs by the way had a 10+ point differential before Duncan's injury - the Pistons are a damm good team but the better and deeper team is still composed out in SA = plus they have a 3x championship coach that will pull out all stops, vs. "Mr. 1x to the WCF and multiple flameouts" Saunders.

I myself expect the Pistons to find themselves in for a rude awakening on Sunday - they will be facing a championship squad that has been listening to all the B.S. that the Pistons are the better team.

jochhejaam
12-23-2005, 07:46 AM
Good chance of beating the franchise record of 63 wins but IMO little chance of winning 70+.

Nothing wrong with dreaming though.

JamStone
12-23-2005, 10:30 AM
Listen the Pistons are a darn good team but to start putting them in the Bulls category is inane. They barely won two games this week, you can give them the props for pulling them out but to call them an unbeatable team is inane.

Rummpd,

They were saying the same things about the Suns last year as an above poster started, who got off to a similar start.

Last year the Spurs by the way had a 10+ point differential before Duncan's injury - the Pistons are a damm good team but the better and deeper team is still composed out in SA = plus they have a 3x championship coach that will pull out all stops, vs. "Mr. 1x to the WCF and multiple flameouts" Saunders.

I myself expect the Pistons to find themselves in for a rude awakening on Sunday - they will be facing a championship squad that has been listening to all the B.S. that the Pistons are the better team.

1. If the Pistons won all of their games by less than 3 points and still won 70 games, would the point differential matter?

2. I for one am not comparing this year's Pistons team to the 1996 Chicago Bulls. I'm just saying it's possible for this team to win 70 games. It's possible. That's all. As soon as the Pistons lose 12 games, this won't even be a topic anymore.

3. What the Phoenix Suns did last year has nothing to do with what the Detroit Pistons do this year. As a Spurs fan, you should realize that comparing different teams from different years is a useless exercise and irrelevant debating.

4. It's your opinion that the Spurs are the better and deeper team. That's fine. They're probably a deeper team ... maybe. But, to flat-out say they are a better team, I would very much disagree. I don't think either team is clearly better than the other. And, I don't even think the Christmas Day game will prove which team is better. Manu may be out. Rip Hamilton may be out. Rasheed Wallace just lost a cousin, and he may miss the next few games as well. And, a December match-up, no matter how hyped, will not be the end-all proof of which team is better.

5. If the Pistons lose to the Spurs on Christmas, how will that be a "rude awakening" to the Pistons? The Pistons already know the Spurs are good. They know they are the defending champions. All it takes is for Spurs to play one of their better games and/or the Pistons not to shoot well, and sure the Spurs can beat the Pistons. That won't be some shocking, "rude awakening." You sound like a Heat or Cavs fan trying to talk smack. Pistons respect the Spurs. And, most Pistons fans respect the Spurs too. It will be in no way a "rude awakening" for the Pistons to lose to the Spurs. The Spurs could even blow-out the Pistons, and it won't be a rude awakening. Pistons showed how they can rebound from blowouts against the Spurs, as evidenced by games 3 and 4 of the Finals last year. Whatever happens Christmas Day, there will be no rude awakening. But, I do expect the Pistons to beat the Spurs Sunday, and rather handily as well. But, if not, I won't be surprised whatever the outcome.

kskonn
12-23-2005, 11:07 AM
1. If the Pistons won all of their games by less than 3 points and still won 70 games, would the point differential matter?

2. I for one am not comparing this year's Pistons team to the 1996 Chicago Bulls. I'm just saying it's possible for this team to win 70 games. It's possible. That's all. As soon as the Pistons lose 12 games, this won't even be a topic anymore.

3. What the Phoenix Suns did last year has nothing to do with what the Detroit Pistons do this year. As a Spurs fan, you should realize that comparing different teams from different years is a useless exercise and irrelevant debating.

4. It's your opinion that the Spurs are the better and deeper team. That's fine. They're probably a deeper team ... maybe. But, to flat-out say they are a better team, I would very much disagree. I don't think either team is clearly better than the other. And, I don't even think the Christmas Day game will prove which team is better. Manu may be out. Rip Hamilton may be out. Rasheed Wallace just lost a cousin, and he may miss the next few games as well. And, a December match-up, no matter how hyped, will not be the end-all proof of which team is better.

5. If the Pistons lose to the Spurs on Christmas, how will that be a "rude awakening" to the Pistons? The Pistons already know the Spurs are good. They know they are the defending champions. All it takes is for Spurs to play one of their better games and/or the Pistons not to shoot well, and sure the Spurs can beat the Pistons. That won't be some shocking, "rude awakening." You sound like a Heat or Cavs fan trying to talk smack. Pistons respect the Spurs. And, most Pistons fans respect the Spurs too. It will be in no way a "rude awakening" for the Pistons to lose to the Spurs. The Spurs could even blow-out the Pistons, and it won't be a rude awakening. Pistons showed how they can rebound from blowouts against the Spurs, as evidenced by games 3 and 4 of the Finals last year. Whatever happens Christmas Day, there will be no rude awakening. But, I do expect the Pistons to beat the Spurs Sunday, and rather handily as well. But, if not, I won't be surprised whatever the outcome.

nice post i agree with everything except the pistons winning on sunday, however I think you are one poster that will agree to disagree on that one. :hat

once again nice post.

FreshPrince22
12-23-2005, 11:52 AM

First, the 37 point loss to the Mavs throws that point differential way off. It would be +10.3 without that game. Now obviously you don't just take it out, but that provides some insight. Second, the Pistons are the best team in the league at winning close games. We've got tons of clutch players. We also have the luxury of having the best clutch free throw shooter in the game.

As for your constant Flip bashing... That is the biggest load of crap I've ever heard. Do you know what Larry Brown's playoff record was before he came to the Pistons? It was awful. The only time he advanced in the playoffs at all was when he was coaching Philly during the "Dark days" of the East. And No, he didn't win a damn thing before us. And Flip has been an NBA coach for MUCH less time than Larry had before he got his first ring.

At some point in every coach's career they aren't a championship coach. Coach Pop should be thanking The Admiral, Duncan, Manu, and Horry for his. Much like Larry Brown should be thanking the Pistons for his. Coaches don't win with bad teams. I don't care who the coach is.
________
Vaporizer (http://johan-luis.tumblr.com/)

kskonn
12-23-2005, 11:59 AM
First, the 37 point loss to the Mavs throws that point differential way off. It would be +10.3 without that game. Now obviously you don't just take it out, but that provides some insight. Second, the Pistons are the best team in the league at winning close games. We've got tons of clutch players. Unlike the Spurs, we don't have a thing to worry about if it comes down to Free Throws, because we've got the best clutch free throw shooter in the game.

As for your constant Flip bashing... That is the biggest load of crap I've ever heard. Do you know what Larry Brown's playoff record was before he came to the Pistons? It was awful. The only time he advanced in the playoffs at all was when he was coaching Philly during the "Dark days" of the East. And No, he didn't win a damn thing before us. And Flip has been an NBA coach for MUCH less time than Larry had before he got his first ring.

At some point in every coach's career they aren't a championship coach. Coach Pop should be thanking The Admiral, Duncan, Manu, and Horry for his. Much like Larry Brown should be thanking the Pistons for his. Coaches don't win with bad teams. I don't care who the coach is.

Most of that I agree with.

anyway I don't agree with what you say about the Pistons being the best team at winning close games, after all they did lose a couple close games to the spurs in last years finals. Also the spurs have played in and won a lot of close games this season. It was not until recently that the Pistons have played some really tight games.

However I will defer and say that I personally do not know which team is the best in close games, I will say they have the best two players in the NBA for clutch shooting. I am sure we will find which team is the most clutch when they meet in the finals again this year.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-23-2005, 01:18 PM

Doc,

That's a flawed comparison at best. Phoenix hadn't been to the Finals two straight years, winning one and being two clutch Robert Horry performances away from working on a three peat.

I'm continually amazed at the arrogance in this forum. People act like we crushed Detroit last year. If it weren't for Horry going fucking nuclear and saving Tim's shriviling nuts from the fire, Detroit would be working on title #3 this year.

They are the alpha threat as far as the Spurs are concerned, and I'll probably get flamed for saying this but right now I'd say they are the team to beat. They're hungry this year and anyone who thinks otherwise on this site is in for a rude awakeing should we meet up in the Finals.

Detroit scares the hell out of me, and they aren't exactly in the waning years of their run either. We'll probably split the next 3-4 championships with them.

ABDENOUR POWER
12-23-2005, 01:49 PM
If it weren't for Horry going fucking nuclear and saving Tim's shriviling nuts from the fire, Detroit would be working on title #3 this year.

:lmao

That just might be the best analysis of the finals that I've ever read.

:lol :lol :lol

FreshPrince22
12-23-2005, 11:16 PM
Doc,

That's a flawed comparison at best. Phoenix hadn't been to the Finals two straight years, winning one and being two clutch Robert Horry performances away from working on a three peat.

I'm continually amazed at the arrogance in this forum. People act like we crushed Detroit last year. If it weren't for Horry going fucking nuclear and saving Tim's shriviling nuts from the fire, Detroit would be working on title #3 this year.

They are the alpha threat as far as the Spurs are concerned, and I'll probably get flamed for saying this but right now I'd say they are the team to beat. They're hungry this year and anyone who thinks otherwise on this site is in for a rude awakeing should we meet up in the Finals.

Detroit scares the hell out of me, and they aren't exactly in the waning years of their run either. We'll probably split the next 3-4 championships with them.

Great post. I do get the feeling sometimes that some Spurs fans think they swept us last year.
________
Vaporizer video review (http://vaporizers.tv/)

jochhejaam
12-26-2005, 09:43 AM
Phoenix was 24-3 before SA spanked them by 21 last season.

Let's not start talking about history just yet.
They were also 31-4 when Nash went down and they lost 5 straight. You never know how the season's going to unfold.

Rummpd
12-26-2005, 11:24 AM
Props to the Pistons for a very good game, but the fact is the Spurs (at least most of them did not show up).

I don't see the Pistons winning 70 games but high sixties is highly probable and they are a damm good team.

So are the Spurs still though, looking forward to Jan 12.

JamStone
12-26-2005, 11:33 AM

:rolleyes

weebo
12-26-2005, 12:15 PM
:rolleyes

I hope they do win 72. This team is playing like it matters(even in the regular season).