PDA

View Full Version : Statement game, or just reg season.

romsey31
12-22-2005, 10:14 AM
To you guys on here, is the Christmas day game a statement game or to you the outcome doesnt matter, just a reg season game. I'd like to hear your input before the game.

Oh, Gee!!
12-22-2005, 10:31 AM
yes, because the pistons are the best team right now

FreshPrince22
12-22-2005, 10:32 AM
Regular Season for me. It's more exciting than your average regular season game, obviously, but I'm not putting too much weight on it. Last year we were 12-12 going into the 24th game (Spurs game), so we all know teams don't play the same in december as they do in May/June. If we win I won't claim us to be insta-champs, and if we lose I won't jump off a bridge and say we suck. Obviously the press and the winning team's fans will make a bigger deal out of it than it is.
________
Prettylady4U Live (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/prettylady4u)

Oh, Gee!!
12-22-2005, 10:34 AM
yes, but it will be a good indicator of where we are as a team right now

Big Pimp_21
12-22-2005, 10:34 AM
while a would love the win, I know that it doesn't matter who wins in Dec.
We will be in the playoffs, and likely the finals, so if the Pistons get there...then we can worry about statements

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-22-2005, 10:54 AM
Just another game. It should be a good one, but both teams have a few injuries, and both teams have looked surprisingly average against some subpar opponents lately.

bdubya
12-22-2005, 12:33 PM
I voted yes, but the answer is "both". Aren't all "statement" games played in the regular season? They're "statement" games when the teams involved have some playoff history with each other and there's a strong chance that they'll be meeting again in the playoffs.

If anybody plays a "playoff" game as if it were a mere "statement" game, they need to wake the hell up.

pawe
12-22-2005, 12:54 PM
its just a regular game, the statement game for me would be the 2nd meeting of the season.

Leetonidas
12-22-2005, 12:55 PM
It's a good game to determine where the Spurs are at right now.

DarkReign
12-22-2005, 01:29 PM
Already stated my opinion on this game.

Dont mean $#i! IMO.

Pistons win = theyre still the best team in the league (right now)
Spurs win = yup, they can still beat the Pistons.

Whoopety-doo.

Obstructed_View
12-22-2005, 02:07 PM
Statement game. The Spurs were quite a bit better than the Pistons last year yet the Pistons played better than the Spurs for five straight games and almost stole the series. It's not a matter of who's better on paper, but who shows up when they have to. The Pistons are less likely to take a game or a quarter off. The Spurs should treat this like an important game, but who the hell knows which team will show up?

I guarantee the fans of the loser of this game will come back and say the game didn't mean anything, but this one means as much as any regular season game this year is likely to.

Sense
12-22-2005, 05:03 PM
statement game my ass...

E20
12-22-2005, 05:04 PM
Spurs might lose, they're not that healthy, they've been struggling against teams who play no defense, and the Pistons can lock it up if they choose.

Dre_7
12-22-2005, 05:05 PM
Statement game? No, cuz Spurs are not anywhere near where they wanna be. If they were running on all cylinders, and fully healthy I would say yes. But SA is still trying to get everything going. I would think Their next game against DET would proly be a statement game.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-22-2005, 05:06 PM
---any game between two of the top teams is a statement game---

JamStone
12-22-2005, 05:13 PM
Statement game? I wouldn't go that far.

Important game? Sure, for both teams. Most people including each team believes these are the best two teams in the league. It's a good game to gauge for each team. And, it's on national tv, so it's also nice to show the nation and world how good each team is.

Must-win game? Absolutely not. When the playoffs roll around, neither team will care who won that game. And, if they are, that's the wrong focus to have going into the playoffs.

Sense
12-22-2005, 05:14 PM
---any game between two of the top teams is a statement game---

:lol

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
12-22-2005, 05:14 PM
It's only a statement game if your team wins...

jochhejaam
12-22-2005, 06:11 PM
Statement that equals bragging rights for a day, no more, no less.

BigVee
12-22-2005, 06:29 PM
Both teams will want to win, of course. But, I can't see Pop rushing Manu back if he isn't ready, and if the Spurs were in the playoffs now I would bet he would be playing. Tim will come out at the 3 minute mark, etc.....so it is a big game but neither team will deviate from their sub pattern at this point in the season, except maybe in the 4th if it is a close game. Pistons are playing better right now and being at home, I think they have the edge. I believe they will be favored and will win. Not a statement, but nonetheless would be nice to upset Detroit on the road.

SA Gunslinger
12-22-2005, 07:44 PM
The pressure is on Detroit. They are at home. They have the best record in the league. They lost the championship to the Spurs.

If they lose this game, it will hurt their confidence. For the Spurs, they wouldn't be adversley affected either way. I just hope the game is close and we remain healthy. Winning would be nice but it's not a statement game for San Antonio.

ALVAREZ6
12-22-2005, 07:52 PM
Statement game.

We gotta show who the rings belong to.

1Parker1
12-22-2005, 09:04 PM
I'd like the Spurs to treat this like a statement game and give it their 100%.

ALVAREZ6
12-22-2005, 09:05 PM
I wanna put a smack down on the Pistons so we can finally be #1 in the power rankings.

Sense
12-22-2005, 10:09 PM
I wanna put a smack down on the Pistons so we can finally be #1 in the power rankings.

idiot.

pawe
12-22-2005, 10:21 PM
i second that!

Pistons < Spurs
12-23-2005, 01:52 AM
IMO this game is more about bragging rights than anything else. Both teams recognize the talent that each has. Both teams know that they match up well. Both teams know that on any given night, either of these teams could be victorious. Both teams expect to be back in the Finals where the real decisions will be made.

I want the Pistons to win. But a loss wouldn't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. Actually a loss may make my guys even more focused throughout the regular season.

All I want is a GOOD game.

Leetonidas
12-23-2005, 02:17 AM
IMO this game is more about bragging rights than anything else. Both teams recognize the talent that each has. Both teams know that they match up well. Both teams know that on any given night, either of these teams could be victorious. Both teams expect to be back in the Finals where the real decisions will be made.

I want the Pistons to win. But a loss wouldn't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. Actually a loss may make my guys even more focused throughout the regular season.

All I want is a GOOD game.

Once again, a classic example of the good Piston fan, not like X Factor over there running his mouth (or hands rather, since we're typing).

I agree with that. I'm not looking for anything to determine who's winning the championship, it's just a good measuring stick to determine where SA is at right now.

mikejones99
12-23-2005, 04:43 AM
This is the most dangerous place the Spurs have to play all year. That is a fact.

romsey31
12-23-2005, 09:10 AM
This is the most dangerous place the Spurs have to play all year. That is a fact.

:lol No doubt.

sa_butta
12-23-2005, 09:11 AM
Once again, a classic example of the good Piston fan, not like X Factor over there running his mouth (or hands rather, since we're typing).

I agree with that. I'm not looking for anything to determine who's winning the championship, it's just a good measuring stick to determine where SA is at right now.:tu

krinkx
12-23-2005, 11:06 AM
like that too, not that it matters that much though

George Gervin's Afro
12-23-2005, 11:14 AM
In my opinion there are not many games that can be called a statement games the Spurs will play this year. I find the regular season rather boring now in that we are better than everyone else and I feel that only detroit is close to our level. For this reason this game excites me while the previous 25 have done nothing for me....

5ToolMan
12-23-2005, 11:28 AM
Against the defending World Champions, every game is a potential "statement game" for the other team. The Detroit players will certainly want to make a statement. The urgency, body language and chatter so far this year, demonstrate a team that thinks it has someting to prove. Still, like the Spurs; the Pistons know this is only a tuneup for the real show that may open in June.

George Gervin's Afro
12-23-2005, 11:57 AM
I'd like the Spurs to treat this like a statement game and give it their 100%.

I agree 100%. I would love to see some energy..

zeleni
12-23-2005, 12:12 PM
It would be a statement game for Rasho, who would be a starter after the injured ancle.

For others?
New guys: the ultimate test
Beno: pressure defense

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-23-2005, 01:39 PM
If we win, yes.

If not, no.

Signed, Spurs fans everywhere.

ZStomp
12-23-2005, 01:44 PM
It depends if we win or lose :lmao

pjjrfan
12-23-2005, 02:44 PM
I think it is more of a statement game for Detroit then SA. I think the Spurs will look at this game as guage on how well off they are or how much they have to improve. The Spurs are by no means worried about having the best record, they are more worried about having the best team when the playoffs come.

Detroit on the other hand, walked away as losers after game 7 and no matter how much they say, they were the better team, they know they weren't and they have a lot to prove to themselves mostly and to the Spurs.

SouthernFried
12-23-2005, 03:48 PM
I'm a little worried about Duncan trying to do too much with his bad ankles. These guys are a tough matchup for him...and if he brings 100%, when his body is only 75%...

Still, I'm more excited about this upcoming game, than any other this year. Just to see what level both teams are on right now.

boutons
12-23-2005, 05:39 PM
"his bad ankles"

he has bad ankles, again?

I don't think Tim or the Spurs will play very hard. As Tony said, the Spurs found just enough motivation to break this week's losing streak. Motivation's probably gone again. The Spurs knows they are the Champions and won't lose that Sunday, or anytime before May.

If the Spurs can' beat the Hornets and Hawks, how can they beat the Pistons?

td4mvp21
12-23-2005, 06:12 PM
"his bad ankles"

he has bad ankles, again?

I don't think Tim or the Spurs will play very hard. As Tony said, the Spurs found just enough motivation to break this week's losing streak. Motivation's probably gone again. The Spurs knows they are the Champions and won't lose that Sunday, or anytime before May.

If the Spurs can' beat the Hornets and Hawks, how can they beat the Pistons?

Because they give more effort for the tough teams. That's why our record is 10-3 against .500+ teams.

baseline bum
12-23-2005, 06:13 PM
To me there's no such thing as a statement game before March.

ALVAREZ6
12-23-2005, 06:40 PM
idiot.
fuck you.

All of your posts have been pointless.

Fuckin worthless piece of shit.

Sense
12-23-2005, 07:58 PM
fuck you.

All of your posts have been pointless.

Fuckin worthless piece of shit.

Not worthless if they are true.