PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker, Better All the Time (SI article)

Solid D
12-22-2005, 11:34 AM
I'm not sure if this was posted but it's on the front page of cnnsi today 12/22/05.
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/marty_burns/12/21/parker/tx.tony.parker.getty.jpg

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/index.html?cnn=yes

Tres magnifique
Spurs' Parker making move toward NBA's elite
Posted: Wednesday December 21, 2005 4:08PM; Updated: Wednesday December 21, 2005 11:01PM

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/marty_burns/12/21/parker/p1.tony.parker.si.jpg

Tony Parker is fast becoming one of the NBA's most complete point guards.
Greg Nelson/SI

Tony Parker has a confession to make.

It seems the Spurs point guard isn't satisfied with his two NBA championship rings, his onetime status as one of People magazine's 50 Most Beautiful People and his high-profile romance with TV starlet Eva Longoria.

Parker, it seems, wants to be known as one of the game's best point guards. He wants to be known as more than just a third wheel alongside Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili on the Spurs' championship machine. He wants to be included with Steve Nash, Allen Iverson and Jason Kidd on the list of top all-around floor generals.

"Oh, definitely. Definitely," Parker says. "It's a big motivation."

Parker, in his fifth season, appears to be on his way. Through Tuesday the 6-2 French flash was averaging career highs in five categories: points (20.2), assists (6.3), rebounds (4.1), steals (1.32) and field-goal percentage (53.8 percent). He led all NBA players in points in the paint (see box) and his shooting percentage ranked fifth in the league. The last point guard to finish in the top 10 in shooting percentage was John Stockton, 51.7 percent in 2001-02.

Parker's hot shooting and all-around play have been a reason the Spurs have hung with the Pistons at the top this season despite nagging injuries to Duncan (foot) and Ginobili (foot). Parker's ability to pick up more of the scoring load, while also dishing the ball and playing his usual solid defense, has been critical. Coach Gregg Popovich even goes so far as to call Parker his team's "most consistent player" this season and ranks him alongside Detroit's Chauncey Billups as the two point guards who are making the jump to All-Star status this season.

"I see Tony as somebody who's trying to prove a point," Popovich says. "He's been hellfire since the season started. All through training camp he was really focused on improving as player."

Long known as one of the quickest players -- and best finishers - in the NBA, Parker this season has gone about trying to refine the rougher edges of his game. For example, he has worked extensively to improve his shaky jumper with Spurs shooting coach Chip Engelland, a former tutor for Grant Hill and Steve Kerr. This season he has spent the season coaching Parker on everything from his stance to where he places his thumb.

The results have been modest but encouraging. While Parker's shooting from downtown remains a wreck ("We've sort of taken away his 3-point shot," Popovich jokes) he has shown a more reliable mid-range game. He knocked down several jumpers to help slay the Nuggets on opening night, and hit two big shots down the stretch at Milwaukee on Tuesday night to keep his team in a game that they lose in OT.

"It's just how I hold the ball, and things like that," Parker says. "I'd been shooting the same way my first four years and it wasn't working like I wanted. I knew I had to take two steps backward and try to change some things.

"It's just great to have somebody to correct me when I'm not doing well and to push me every day in practice. I'm trying to get better. That's one part of my game I'm trying to improve."

Parker's ability to hit his outside shot is important because it might be the only thing holding him back from elite status. With his feline-like moves, he's already almost unstoppable going to the basket. He's also long been regarded for his "teardrops," the name given to those tricky short runners over taller players.

For opponents, Parker is quicksilver in Spurs' silver and black. Tuesday night he slithered around Bucks point guard T.J. Ford and bounced off rookie center Andrew Bogut for a layup that left everyone one on Milwaukee's team shaking their head. As shocking as it might seem that a point guard could lead the league in points in the paint, the Bucks probably wouldn't be surprised.

"We talked about it today [before the game], that he was shooting a lot of shots from outside last year and two years ago, [but] right now, with his quickness, he's making an effort to get to the paint and get lay-ups," Bucks veteran forward Toni Kukoc said.

"I'll say those were the two quickest guys in the league tonight, T.J. Ford and him. [Iverson's] right there, too, but I don't think even he's quicker than those two guys."

That's not to say Parker is ready to join AI at the top just yet. The Spurs guard still tends to commit turnovers in flurries (3.2 per game), and he shoots free throws more like a 7-footer (66 percent) than a point guard. His shot selection, though getting much better, also could use some work. Against the Bucks he pulled up for a 3-pointer (a shot he's attempted only 12 times all season) with the score tied at 107-all and just five seconds left on the clock in overtime. He missed badly, and the Bucks were able to regain possession for what turned out to be a game-winning buzzer-beater by Bogut. On the sidelines Popovich's hair turned an even whiter shade.

But Parker at least seems to be learning from his mistakes. Seated at his locker after the game, he took full responsibility. "I was trying to make sure we got the last shot," he said. "But I think I started my move too late and I was too far out."

It was yet another confession for the little Frenchman with the worldly ambitions. And one that any truly great point guard -- like Nash, Iverson or Kidd - surely would be willing to make as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parker in the paint
Quick, which San Antonio Spurs star leads the entire NBA in points scored in the paint?

If you guessed Tim Duncan, you'd be wrong.

It's Tony Parker.

Yes, Parker, the Spurs' 6-2 point guard with the French flair and the killer teardrop, leads all NBA players in cashing in around the basket. Through Tuesday Parker had scored 328 points in the paint. That was six more than Duncan, who goes 6-11 (or 7-foot if you count his new mini 'fro).

"A lot of people have told me that, but I didn't realize it," Parker chuckled Tuesday night. "They must be counting all my floaters. ... What can I say? I just try to create and get to the basket."

While Parker's incredible quickness enables him to get to the basket almost at will, he's helped by the fact that the Spurs can surround him with good shooters to keep defenses honest. With three-point marksmen like Bruce Bowen (50 percent), Brent Barry (42.5), Robert Horry (40.4), Michael Finley (35.7) and Manu Ginobili (33.9), the Spurs create tiny cracks for Parker to exploit.

"Obviously he's extremely fast and he has that teardrop that is so hard to make and so hard to block," Ginobili says. "At the same time, its hard [for our opponents] to help and collapse the paint because we've got Tim Duncan and so many great open shooters.

"But he's so fast and plays so confidently that he's hard to guard no matter what. He can let it fly so quickly without jumping. He gets the shot blockers off guard."

Adds Spurs coach Gregg Popovich: "Everybody's packing it in on him, because they know he's doing it, but he keeps doing it."

Here's a look at the NBA's top five in scoring points in the paint (through Tuesday):

1. Tony Parker, Spurs 328
2. Tim Duncan, Spurs 322
3. Dwyane Wade, Heat 316
4. LeBron James, Cavs 304
5. Allen Iverson, Sixers 298

Source: Elias Sports Bureau

2centsworth
12-22-2005, 11:55 AM
I haven't seen a better Point Guard this year.

RobinsontoDuncan
12-22-2005, 12:12 PM
I had posted it yesterday, w/o the pictures though, great article I think.... I sure hope his three point shot isnt going to be gone for good. Hopefully Englend can make him proficient at it.

Rummpd
12-22-2005, 01:38 PM
I rated him there in top 5 already today: http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_15444.shtml (free side)

Debate This: Getting to the Point - Rating the PG's
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Peter Rumm, MD
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Dec 22, 2005, 07:35

Right now one can make a strong case that the deepest position in the NBA is at the point guard – “the quarterback of the NBA”.

Furthermore, a bunch of stars are making a case to displace the traditional names at the top of the list at this position - Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, Allen Iverson, and perhaps, Stephon Marbury.

In fact, forget that list = let’s throw Stephon Marbury off the top tier of point guards right now or even the top ten!

Marbury, whose game I used to admire very much, continues to prove that his statment of last year, “that he was the top point guard in the game” is not just false, but right now blatantly false. Moreover, in my view from watching a number of Knicks game, Marbury has regressed significantly this year. He has the ability to come back, but one wonders how long he will stay a Knick or whether or not he can adapt to Brown's style and demands.

Last night he was simply outplayed by Tony Parker (who sat out the entire fourth quarter) in a 109-96 lost that in reality was more lopsided than the final score as the Knicks lost their seventh straight. Marbury looked disinterested and slow, and played little if any defense.

Therefore, there are seven other point guards I am now putting up for consideration as the “top point” with the “big three” (note: I am putting Dwyane Wade as a shooting guard, even though he has played a lot of point again this year – he would have made the list if considered as a true point).

These seven players are listed below with part of their credentials. They are placed in the order I rank them right behind Nash, Kidd (when healthy as he has been recently), and Iverson who is doing it all again this year leading the year in scoring and dishing out 7.4 ASG.

(Right now, due to his teams great run without Amare Stoudemire, reigning MVP Nash has to be number one. After him, I go back and forth in deciding who is the better point guard for his team, between Kidd and Iverson, as both teams sit around 13-12 – lets call it a tie. Iverson although not a classical point guard is doing some amazing things night in and night out, and is the best defender of the three right now.)

Rating the seven next point guards:

4) Chauncey Billups, Detroit Pistons. 19.0 PPG and 8.8 ASG. Billups has been arguably the best player on the team with the best record in basketball (20-3) and has simply made clutch shot after clutch shot. He is also very strong and gets into the paint with ease and is a very good defender.

A former finals MVP he has definitely moved into the top tier of point guards in the NBA and can make a case he is perhaps even better than Kidd this year. I would have no problems with anyone putting him right behind Nash right now.

5) Tony Parker, San Antonio Spurs. 20.2 PPG and 6.8 ASG. Parker, goes here because he has team at a fine 20 and 6, and has seemingly overcome his tendency to be up and down player. His few bad outings have been better than previous years and he frequently has double digit assist nights – he has as many as 12 alone in the last week. As Tim Duncan has been hampered by plantar faciatis and Manu Ginobili has been out much of the season, Parker continues to create havoc by driving the lane. Moreover, he has been working with a shooting coach has dramtically improved his perimeter shooting - his strong field goal percentage of 0.538 is proof of that effort. His major deficit is his FT% of 0.667 – something that should improve as well with his work with the shooting coach.

6) Gilbert Arenas, Washington Wizards. 27.9 PPG and 6.0 ASG. Arenas at times is simply spectacular and is putting up near Iverson numbers in points and assists. He has not been able though to raise the level of his team, when they lost Larry Hughes from last year as of yet. Moreover, his shooting percentage is only 0.423 indicating he may not be doing all he can to get his teammates involved rather than forcing some shots. However, when he is on he is one of the most dangerous scorers in the game.

7) Sam Cassell, Los Angeles Clippers. 16.8 PPG and 7.3 ASG. Cassell is simply a clutch player and a leader and in my mind (with very strong apologies to the wonderful all around play of Kevin Garnett) may have been the true MVP of the Timberwolves a couple of years ago in their run to the WCF. I recall his coming up big in seemingly every 4th quarter for at least a month of the season. Again, he is leading a winning team and is providing veteran leadership. His stats might drop as future potential star Shaun Livingston gains playing time, but believe me in tight game, don’t bet against Cassell making a key shot. What a pickup for the Clippers.

8) Chris Paul, New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets. 16.6 PPG and 7.0 ASG. I cannot believe I am ranking a rookie this high but this “kid” simply has game. He has near Parker like quickness, has a pretty fair shooting touch, and for this stage of in his career may be an even better decision maker than Parker. If fact, watch out above, Paul may has the potential to go soon to the very top of the point guard standings as he is also a pretty good defender. Simply put this “kid” is good – very, very good. Most likely, he will be the NBA Rookie of the Year.

9) Baron Davis, Golden State Warriors. 17.4 PPG and 9.6 ASG. Davis has been a leader and an excellent distributor, and has the Warrors off to a pretty fair start (although they have slipped lately). However, his 0.361 FG% is simply poor and keeps Davis out of a higher ranking.

10) Mike Bibby, Sacremento Kings. 18.8 and 4.8 ASG. Bibby to me remains on the fringe of becoming a great player. However, I simply cannot rank him higher right now, for despite some great shooters on this team, he has been producing relatively low assists per game (center Brad Miller leads the team with 6.0 per game). Plus his team is simply a disappointment right now and like the quarterback in the NFL – PGs have to take a lot of the blame!

Given consideration - Marbury (hard to leave him out of the top ten, but time to lead a team Stephon!), Steve Francis (sometimes at point for the Magic, also needs to get his team winning!) Kurt Hinrich, T.J. Ford, Jason Terry, Jamal Tinsley and others.

Dr. Rumm a former editor is the "SportsDoc to the Fans" and writes on teams, players and medical issues and loves a debate.
Gotta Response? E-mail It Here

boutons
12-22-2005, 01:43 PM
"strong field goal percentage of 0.538 is proof of that effort"

... is only proof that he makes lots of layups, not that he is a 54% jumpshooter.

Take away his layups, what is his FG%?

smeagol
12-22-2005, 01:49 PM
"strong field goal percentage of 0.538 is proof of that effort"

... is only proof that he makes lots of layups, not that he is a 54% jumpshooter.

Aren't layups included in FG%?

Talk about a "glass half empty" mentality.

boutons
12-22-2005, 01:53 PM
The point was his jumpshooting was specifically better, as proven by Tony's OVERALL 54% FG%.

Layups are layups, jumpers are jumpers. has nothing to do with glasses.

The other night at one point, Tony was about 2-7 FG, 2 layups and 5 missed jumpers. Do you get the point?

If the point was that Tony has moved way up the PG ratings because he is not only driving relentlessly but also has turned into one of the very best finishers in the league, I fully agree. I've said here MANY TIMES HERE times since 1 Nov that Tony's improvement is nothing short of amazing. pessimist? fuck off

kskonn
12-22-2005, 02:15 PM
Here's a look at the NBA's top five in scoring points in the paint (through Tuesday):

1. Tony Parker, Spurs 328
2. Tim Duncan, Spurs 322
3. Dwyane Wade, Heat 316
4. LeBron James, Cavs 304
5. Allen Iverson, Sixers 298

Source: Elias Sports Bureau[/QUOTE]

Does anyone else find startling that Duncan is the only big man in the Top 5??

Spurminator
12-22-2005, 02:19 PM

http://www.82games.com/0506/05SAS1A.HTM

tlongII
12-22-2005, 02:39 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/marty_burns/12/21/parker/tx.tony.parker.getty.jpg

Is that a tatoo on Eva's ass?

boutons
12-22-2005, 02:47 PM
"Does anyone else find startling that Duncan is the only big man in the Top 5??"

wow, that is amazing. Where are the big men? have they all turned into Euro-style perimeter big men?

Phenomanul
12-22-2005, 03:09 PM

Look's like a birthmark.....

that... or she was bucked by one of your goats..... :lol :lol

Chris
12-22-2005, 03:13 PM
"Does anyone else find startling that Duncan is the only big man in the Top 5??"

wow, that is amazing. Where are the big men? have they all turned into Euro-style perimeter big men?

Shaq's been hurt or i'm sure he would have been on that list. Where is Yao?

wildbill2u
12-22-2005, 03:13 PM

Tony's bite mark.

T Park
12-22-2005, 04:51 PM
pessimist? fuck off

One big ray of sunshine.

Tony's jumper is noticeably better.

He makes a much great percentage of jumpers than he ever has.

Sure he knuckles one from time to time.

But he makes quite a bit.