PDA

View Full Version : Pop gets the top rank of X-Mas Coaches!

Rummpd
12-22-2005, 06:36 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=2268581

Deserved props!

E20
12-22-2005, 06:46 PM
Marc Stein loves the Spurs.

Flip Saunders needs to be ranked higher.

Gummi
12-22-2005, 07:47 PM
You really think that Flip is better then Pop and/or Jackson? In my opinion Flip hasn't done anything yet and I was surprised to see him above Pat Riley and his 5 titles if I'm not mistaken. He'll get some respect from me when leads a team to the Finals. Not just to the playoffs like he's done with the Wolves.

E20
12-22-2005, 07:49 PM
What has Phil Jackson done so far? It's not about past accomplishments it's how your team is playing this season and if it is Phil Jackonson and Riley are on top and Flip is last.

pawe
12-22-2005, 09:48 PM
jackson is really lucky with the teams he coached (he had mj and shaq & kobe) thats why he won lots of championships and of course a distinction..now we will see how great a coach he truly is this season..har har har

Sense
12-22-2005, 10:05 PM
What has Phil Jackson done so far? It's not about past accomplishments it's how your team is playing this season and if it is Phil Jackonson and Riley are on top and Flip is last.

Look at the names....

Their accomplishments can't put them lower.

Flip has done nothing, the talent has always been in Detroit.

Spurologist
12-22-2005, 10:21 PM
Marc Stein loves the Spurs.

Flip Saunders needs to be ranked higher.

I think he should be last.

Rummpd
12-22-2005, 10:25 PM
Agreed although Riley came up small in his last half dozen playoff escapes as well - believe me come crunch time, will the Pistons really have faith that "Flip" can take them to a title?

JamStone
12-22-2005, 10:46 PM
Hopefully, the Pistons won't need Flip to prove his coaching abilities. If the Pistons just play as well as they're capable, there are very few teams that should beat them. I think too much credit is given to coaches sometimes. How many rings has Pat Riley won without Magic Johnson and Kareem Abdul Jabbar? How many titles did he win with the Knicks and the Heat? How many rings did Popovich win without Tim Duncan?

Coaches can certainly help teams. And, in some instances, coaches really make a difference. But, I'm a staunch believer that it is mostly GREAT PLAYERS that make great coaches.

Pop is a great coach. Phil Jackson is a great coach. Pat Riley was a great coach (we'll see if he still is). I just question whether they are the main reason for those championships.

Obstructed_View
12-22-2005, 11:00 PM
Saunders has done nothing to be mentioned in that conversation. How fucking hard is it to win with what everybody says is the best starting 5 in the NBA? Flip has zero skins on the wall. Period. The fact that he hasn't managed to screw up the Pistons yet isn't really worthy of accolades.

E20
12-22-2005, 11:43 PM
So is this list this NBA season or their whole coaching career, because quite frankly I haven't see anything speacial that Phil Jackson has done with the Lakers this 2005-2006 season.

Obstructed_View
12-23-2005, 12:28 AM
I presumed it took history into account, considering that Pat Riley has coached like 4 games.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
12-23-2005, 01:06 AM
That is the dumbest article I've ever seen Stein do....

Career: Jackson, Riley/Pop(either could be placed higher than the other; it's a matter of opinion), Flip

This season: Flip, Pop, Jackson, Riley

E20
12-23-2005, 01:37 AM
I presumed it took history into account, considering that Pat Riley has coached like 4 games.
Nice sig.