PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs guard Parker paints improved picture

Kori Ellis
12-23-2005, 02:43 AM
Spurs guard Parker paints improved picture

Web Posted: 12/23/2005 12:00 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA122305.1D.BKNspurs.parker.14a7d25e.html

Larry Brown decided enough was enough. Having seen Tony Parker bolt down the middle of the lane (again), the New York coach signaled for a timeout.

Brown imparted his instructions, sat down and watched Parker dribble through the Knicks' defense. After finding Brent Barry for a jump shot, Parker beat everyone down the floor for another layup.

Frustrated, Brown signaled for another timeout. He talked some more, ushered the Knicks back onto the court and, in disbelief, watched Parker pitch the ball to Bruce Bowen in the corner for an open 3-pointer.

By the time Parker had finished his work Wednesday, the Knicks couldn't even count on support from their own fans. Stephon Marbury, who routinely used to overwhelm Parker, exited under a shower of boos after being outplayed by the Spurs' point guard.

"Tony really kind of dominated the game," Tim Duncan said. "We just played off him."

Not unlike what they have done much of season. With Duncan and Manu Ginobili slowed by podiatry problems, Parker's quick feet have kept the Spurs atop the Western Conference.

Parker enters tonight's game against Toronto averaging 20.1 points and 6.5 assists while shooting 54.2 percent — all career bests. In short, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said, he's played like an All-Star.

"I feel like I'm on a mission this year," Parker said. "I really want to prove to the Spurs and to Pop that I can go to that next level."

If nothing else, Parker has shown he can get to the basket with the NBA's best. He has attacked opposing defenses more aggressively than ever, scoring a league-high 340 points in the paint, 16 more than Duncan.

While Duncan's post-up skills necessitate working in the lane, Parker's ability to dart and spin around defenders has allowed him to establish residence. Of Parker's 218 made shots, 78 percent were taken in the lane.

As a result, Parker ranks fifth in the league in shooting. Since the 1985-86 season, only two point guards have finished in the top 10: Utah's John Stockton (2001) and Chicago's John Paxson (1991).

Parker, whose signature teardrop shot allows him to score over defenders' long arms, has worked daily with new shooting coach Chip Engelland to improve his mid-range jumper. Rarely, however, has he had to use it.

"Our shooting coach decided to make sure there would be no assessment of his abilities, so he's taught Tony to shoot nothing but layups," Popovich joked. "We have no clue how well he's doing."

In truth, Parker has improved his balance and follow-through motion. Still, what worries opposing coaches most is his ability to penetrate.

"Not taking anything away from Tim," Chicago coach Scott Skiles said, "but Parker, in my opinion, has been the key for them so far this year."

After watching Parker skate through the Bulls for 22 points on Nov. 7, Skiles made it a priority to keep him from getting to the rim when the teams met three weeks later. The Bulls pursued Parker off pick-and-rolls and forced him to give up the ball early to allow their defenders enough time to recover on the Spurs' shooters.

In limiting Parker to 13 points, Chicago handed the Spurs their only home loss.

"It's easier in some ways to prepare for Tim," Boston coach Doc Rivers said. "He's the best player in the league, but you know where he's at.

"With a point guard, it's so much more difficult, especially a speedy point guard. Can you trap him? You can try, but he might dribble past that. You can pack it in, but if you do that, then you allow their shooters to get shots.

"I watched three of their games where teams went zone, and he still made layups."

Rivers compares Parker's quickness to that of Philadelphia's Allen Iverson.

But Parker, Rivers said, has "a better team around him."

Parker's ability to find — and trust — teammates may be the greatest improvement he's made. In last week's victory over Sacramento, he penetrated into the lane before passing to Michael Finley for the winning shot. He forced a late 3-pointer — a shot Popovich has told him to "forget about" — which contributed to Tuesday's overtime loss in Milwaukee but distributed 10 assists against the Knicks for his third double-double in four games.

"He still makes some mistakes here and there, but he's real receptive to Pop and what he has to say," Duncan said. "He's learning from it. Game to game, he's getting better and missing less people that are open."

Parker's biggest test won't come until the playoffs, when teams have more time to defend specific personnel. In each of the previous three years, he struggled when teams kept him from getting into the lane.

Parker also knows that how he performs in the postseason ultimately will decide whether he deserves to be ranked alongside Steve Nash, Chauncey Billups, Jason Kidd and the league's other top point guards.

"He's a hell of a competitive kid," Popovich said, "and he wants to be the best."

T Park
12-23-2005, 02:58 AM
He forced a late 3-pointer — a shot Popovich has told him to "forget about" —

Guess that answers that question.

He still makes some mistakes here and there, but he's real receptive to Pop and what he has to say," Duncan said. "He's learning from it. Game to game, he's getting better and missing less people that are open

What a complete biased and horrific homer.
I wish hed take off the rose colored glasses for once. - Brewski

TPMG2007
12-23-2005, 03:04 AM
My favorite part of the article is this:

"Not taking anything away from Tim," Chicago coach Scott Skiles said, "but Parker, in my opinion, has been the key for them so far this year."

Tony has been very important to the Spurs and some people ie BigZak think otherwise. At least Scott Skiles sees it. He even changed the Bulls defense around so that they could hold Tony to 13 points.

ChumpDumper
12-23-2005, 03:29 AM
What? Another one of the leagues better coaches changed his defense because of Parker?

Where have I heard this before?

TwoHandJam
12-23-2005, 08:51 AM
Parker's biggest test won't come until the playoffs, when teams have more time to defend specific personnel. In each of the previous three years, he struggled when teams kept him from getting into the lane.

Parker also knows that how he performs in the postseason ultimately will decide whether he deserves to be ranked alongside Steve Nash, Chauncey Billups, Jason Kidd and the league's other top point guards.

I think Parker has been playing incredibly and deserves much praise (remember when he couldn't play more than around 33 min and be effective?) for his improvement but the quote above will be all that matters at the end of this season.

It's great that he's scoring all these points in the paint but layups will be much harder to come by in the postseason and we'll really see if the work he's done with Chip pays off.

One small thing that has bugged me about him this year is that sometimes he's been a little selfish on the break. Twice last game he was on a two or three on one break and could have dished to an open teammate for a sure dunk but he tried for a layup and went to the foul line both times.

I think one time he could have given the ball up to Horry and another time it was Finley. I like the aggressiveness but his foul shots aren't a sure thing and it's not the right basketball decision not to share the ball in those situations.

Notorious H.O.P.
12-23-2005, 12:18 PM
With Nash appearing to be voted in, Parker's main competition for a point guard spot on the All-Star team would be Bibby, Davis and Cassell and maybe Paul to a lesser extent.

Bibby is hurt by the Kings not doing as well as expected but he is now the top dog on that team which will help him.

Davis' injury issues usually don't help his All-Star potential but he's been doing pretty well this season having missed only one game. He's is averaging over 17 point and almost 10 assists a game and has the Warriors over .500 so that will work in his favor. Against him though are high turnovers (almost three a game) and his horrible shooting percentage (.361).

Cassell is sitting at a shade over 16 and 7 per but working most in his favor is turning the Clips into a team to deal with. Every year we've been hearing that it's the Clips year but it never is. Cassell has them at 15-10, which is good for 5th in the Western Conference and 9th in the league. This kind of effect triggered an All-Star spot for him in Minnesota and may affect this year similarly. His current attitude helps him, his attitude last year hurts him.

Paul is having a great year and some media people are pegging him as a future superstar. Solid stats and helping the Hornet do better than expected. His future potential, effort in NO/OKC and the whole New Orleans disaster may help him although coaches and GMs are less likely to get swayed by the latter.

boutons
12-23-2005, 12:28 PM
"is turning the Clips into a team to deal with. "

their reputation outlasts their record. Clips are 1-5 in their last 7 games, falling from 14-5 to 15-10. Looks like a lot of teams have been dealing with the Clips pretty easily.

In fact, the Spurs were the only team that even struggled to beat the Clips, needing OT to do it, @SBC.

Notorious H.O.P.
12-23-2005, 01:50 PM
Clips are 1-5 in their last 7 games, falling from 14-5 to 15-10.

Was there a no-decision somewhere in there? :lol

I appreciate what you're trying to say. But they've been struggling without Maggette. They don't have the depth of a serious contender and can't take the loss of a player like him too well.

We've been without Manu and lost games to scrub teams and have been barely squeaking by ourselves even though Finley has been doing well in there. Take Manu out of our lineup and a championship squad (despite it's usual early season struggles) begins having problems getting by. Take a Maggette out of their lineup and a potential 5-8 seed will start having some serious problems.

They aren't a championship contender or even a 1-4 seed but it is likely they make the playoffs barring major injuries.

boutons
12-23-2005, 02:29 PM
"We've been without Manu and lost games to scrub teams"

If we can't beat lottery teams without Manu, we really suck.

T Park
12-23-2005, 06:15 PM
So you should win games without your second best player?

Makes sense.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-23-2005, 06:19 PM
I find it fascinating that the article brings up the Stephon/Tony rivalry. I remember dreading Phoenix games. Stephen did have a psychological edge on the Spurs, I think, which aided his already superb scoring ability against us. However, beyond our corner of the country, Parker is turning more heads than we think, and he is on his way to becoming a Basketball God.