PDA

View Full Version : Agent puzzled by report of Mourning's return

KoriEllis
09-01-2004, 03:19 AM
Nets: Agent puzzled by report of Mourning's return
Wednesday, September 01, 2004

BY BRAD PARKS
Star-Ledger Staff

www.nj.com/sports/ledger/...323490.xml (http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1094015480323490.xml)

If Alonzo Mourning really is planning to play in the NBA next season, his agent -- a guy you think would be in the loop on such a decision -- doesn't know a thing about it.

"There's nothing going on," said Jeff Wechsler, senior vice president of basketball for SFX. "Alonzo is out of the country right now. I don't know where this is coming from."

A report in yesterday's Bergen Record, citing an anonymous league source, said the Nets' seven-time All-Star center was gearing up for a comeback. But Wechsler said Mourning had told him no such thing.

Mourning has told friends he is thinking about a comeback, although he has not made up his mind. Publicly, he has said he is not planning a comeback.

"Obviously, he's thinking about it," Nets CEO Rod Thorn said. "I'm sure he'll have something to say about it one way or another in a week or so, just because training camp is about a month away and it's getting to be time to make a decision like that."

The real question seems to be what team Mourning would play for if he did come back, because it doesn't look like the Nets want him.

They still owe him $17.7 million on the four-year, $22.6 million deal he signed last summer whether he plays or not but, if Mourning doesn't come back this year, his salary comes off their cap figure next June.

If Mourning makes a comeback, even if it's for less than the 12 games he played last year before his kidney ailment forced his retirement, the Nets can't apply for an injury exception and would still have him weighing down their cap.

"They've already said they don't want me back," Mourning told the Virginian-Pilot a few weeks ago.

At 34, Mourning doesn't seem to fit in the team's long-term plans. It's possible the Nets could trade Mourning, although Thorn said Mourning would not have trade value until he proved he was healthy enough to play. Mourning would have to work out in front of other NBA general managers before any trade would take place, and Thorn said that hasn't happened.

Mourning played well in his own charity game last month and has been working out on his own for months, but has always maintained that is simply to aid his recovery from kidney transplant.

Wednesday, September 01, 2004
BY BRAD PARKS
Star-Ledger Staff
If Alonzo Mourning really is planning to play in the NBA next season, his agent -- a guy you think would be in the loop on such a decision -- doesn't know a thing about it.

"There's nothing going on," said Jeff Wechsler, senior vice president of basketball for SFX. "Alonzo is out of the country right now. I don't know where this is coming from."

A report in yesterday's Bergen Record, citing an anonymous league source, said the Nets' seven-time All-Star center was gearing up for a comeback. But Wechsler said Mourning had told him no such thing.

Mourning has told friends he is thinking about a comeback, although he has not made up his mind. Publicly, he has said he is not planning a comeback.

"Obviously, he's thinking about it," Nets CEO Rod Thorn said. "I'm sure he'll have something to say about it one way or another in a week or so, just because training camp is about a month away and it's getting to be time to make a decision like that."

The real question seems to be what team Mourning would play for if he did come back, because it doesn't look like the Nets want him.

They still owe him $17.7 million on the four-year, $22.6 million deal he signed last summer whether he plays or not but, if Mourning doesn't come back this year, his salary comes off their cap figure next June.

If Mourning makes a comeback, even if it's for less than the 12 games he played last year before his kidney ailment forced his retirement, the Nets can't apply for an injury exception and would still have him weighing down their cap.

"They've already said they don't want me back," Mourning told the Virginian-Pilot a few weeks ago.

At 34, Mourning doesn't seem to fit in the team's long-term plans. It's possible the Nets could trade Mourning, although Thorn said Mourning would not have trade value until he proved he was healthy enough to play. Mourning would have to work out in front of other NBA general managers before any trade would take place, and Thorn said that hasn't happened.

Mourning played well in his own charity game last month and has been working out on his own for months, but has always maintained that is simply to aid his recovery from kidney transplant.