PDA

View Full Version : Pistons vs. Spurs on Christmas

PistonsFan
12-23-2005, 09:35 PM
Honest opinion, who do you think will win? Not just because you like the team better...

Comments also.

(Do you think it'll be a close game or not?)

I'm not sure because I haven't seen the Spurs at all this season, but Pistons have a better record so far.

Pistons < Spurs
12-23-2005, 09:38 PM
I beleive the Pistons are simply playing too good right now for the Spurs. Likewise, the Spurs are missing Manu, dealing w/ and injured TD, and trying to adjust to the new players on the team.

Add to that the "payback" that the Pistons want to give SA, and I say it's a win for the D.

Oh and don't forget, it's in Detroit.

PistonsFan
12-23-2005, 09:51 PM
26 views, 5 votes and 1 reply? Come on.

Carrera_4S
12-23-2005, 10:59 PM
At 21 - 3, I feel the Piston's will "spank dat ass" and be 22 - 3 when it's all over. :fro

bdubya
12-23-2005, 11:16 PM
Pistons. No drama, the only injured player they've got has been sitting all season, home court, they want payback.... and being on ABC on a holiday, the commercial breaks'll be so long the bench could just stay home and the starters would STILL get plenty of rest.

baseline bum
12-23-2005, 11:20 PM
Spurs... I saw how this story ended last time.

spurs=bling
12-23-2005, 11:22 PM
why are piston fans talking about this?

if they have so much faith in their team why start a poll about it?

FreshPrince22
12-23-2005, 11:32 PM
Spurs... I saw how this story ended last time.

That story is played out. We're about to "Flip" the script.

OK, I'm sorry, that was just bad. :lol
________
ECIGS123 (http://www.ecigarettes123.com/)

Pistons < Spurs
12-23-2005, 11:34 PM
Scotie Pippen:

Spurs-Pistons

As for the Pistons and Spurs, this is another great game between the two best teams in the league. I think the Pistons need to try and make a statement. The fact that it is a nationally televised game, only serves as additional motivation especially against a team that they went toe to toe with in the NBA Finals. However, the Pistons have played with a lackadaisical attitude at times. They're much better than the teams that have beaten them (see Utah, Minnesota, Dallas). Still, this team at full throttle going into the second half of the season, I don't think anyone can compete with them, including San Antonio.

I think the Pistons are playing with more passion and a freer style of play instead of having pressure on them by a coach that is really yanking and pulling all the time. They've gotten into a mode now where they play in a comfortable offense and Flip Saunders is a big reason for that. The main thing that they have to continue to do is not lose focus. As great as they are, they have to continue to play hard, and that is something I don't see in that team a lot of times. Because they are such a good team, they are able to turn it on and off, but they find themselves having to play hard in the fourth quarters in a lot of games as a result. They're a team that should be able to dominate teams in three quarters and rest in the fourth. That's what I would like to see out of them.

With all of Detroit's great players, the Spurs are going to have to focus on Chauncey Billups, who is having a superb season. A lot of what Larry Brown has taught him over his career has remained with him in the way that he carries himself and leads the team, and he is the one that has to keep that sort of leadership out there on the court for the Pistons to be successful. You don't want them to get to where they are just free flowing a little bit too much. Larry's presence is still being felt with Detroit, but they are playing a lot more of a freelance type of basketball under Flip, which has allowed Chauncey

San Antonio is similar to Detroit in that they're very solid. They are a team that is capable of cruising and they can afford to do so. They are ready and loaded to go into the playoffs. Getting their guys healthy is going to be key for them as the season unfolds. Manu Ginobili is banged up and Duncan probably is also a little banged up. They have to prepare themselves for the long haul. I don't anticipate this team trying to make a great regular season push as they have done in the past. I think Popovich feels very comfortable with this team and the weapons that he is able to pull out. As the season starts to wind down going into the second half, they will step it up. They're a very consistent team, they're very competitive and they're going to come out and beat you repetitiously.

http://www.nba.com/blog/blog30.html

MI21
12-23-2005, 11:49 PM
Spurs by 12.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-23-2005, 11:56 PM
Detroit is gonna CRUSH us. they've had a bad taste in their mouths all summer while SA is sleep walking their way through the season. If we can't even or barely beat the lesser EC teams of the season, we're gonna get raped on sunday. and forget all those excuses about injuries and junk, detroit is simply playing 9 gears ahead of us. i know i'm coming off as a closet piston fan but i do respect this team and we ALL need to accept that as of the moment detroit is playin at a much higher level than the rest of the league. and yes yes i know, its only december, games are won in april, we beat them last time in a 7 game series, we should get bragging rights over detroit till we see them again, but this thread is about the game for sunday and our chances. and as of right now

our chances look dim

if the pigs start to fly, president bush decides to do the right thing and resign, the Smiths reunite, and the spurs win on sunday

then hopefully it'll be a good momentum win to get a decent streak going before we drop one to the warriors or something after winning 14 games straight.

Pistons < Spurs
12-24-2005, 12:01 AM
Detroit is gonna CRUSH us. they've had a bad taste in their mouths all summer while SA is sleep walking their way through the season. If we can't even or barely beat the lesser EC teams of the season, we're gonna get raped on sunday. and forget all those excuses about injuries and junk, detroit is simply playing 9 gears ahead of us. i know i'm coming off as a closet piston fan but i do respect this team and we ALL need to accept that as of the moment detroit is playin at a much higher level than the rest of the league. and yes yes i know, its only december, games are won in april, we beat them last time in a 7 game series, we should get bragging rights over detroit till we see them again, but this thread is about the game for sunday and our chances. and as of right now

our chances look dim

if the pigs start to fly, president bush decides to do the right thing and resign, the Smiths reunite, and the spurs win on sunday

then hopefully it'll be a good momentum win to get a decent streak going before we drop one to the warriors or something after winning 14 games straight.

I don't buy that. Yes I thnk Detroit will win.......but you make the Spur chances sound extremely bleak. IMO the Spurs are simply playing down to their competitions level. (Piston fans saw our team do the same thing last year) As soon as they step on the floor w/ quality teams, they step up their game. I truly expect a close game w/ many lead changes.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-24-2005, 12:06 AM
I don't buy that. Yes I thnk Detroit will win.......but you make the Spur chances sound extremely bleak. IMO the Spurs are simply playing down to their competitions level. (Piston fans saw our team do the same thing last year) As soon as they step on the floor w/ quality teams, they step up their game. I truly expect a close game w/ many lead changes.

fair enough but the spurs have shown me NOTHING this season to prve they can hang with detroit. I think a win in detroit could be much bigger than people on these boards are willing to admit. and you are right, we do play to the level of our competition a lot, but we've had a fairly easy schedule while detroit has played more road games than any other team and is a tidy 21-3. We have a chance, but we better bring our A game cuz a B game or less ain't gonna cut it

wuxia
12-24-2005, 12:10 AM
WHat's the current line? I don't expect it to be over 3 poitns. Spurs pull out an ugly win on Christmas day :)

Spurs 91
Pistons 87

Budkin
12-24-2005, 12:12 AM
If we had Manu I would say Spurs, but without him I think it's gonna be a close loss, especially with the Pistons trying to prove they are the best. I don't think it'll be a blowout by any means, as the Spurs usually at least get up for the good teams. Let's hope I'm wrong about the loss though. :lol

wuxia
12-24-2005, 12:13 AM
fair enough but the spurs have shown me NOTHING this season to prve they can hang with detroit. I think a win in detroit could be much bigger than people on these boards are willing to admit. and you are right, we do play to the level of our competition a lot, but we've had a fairly easy schedule while detroit has played more road games than any other team and is a tidy 21-3. We have a chance, but we better bring our A game cuz a B game or less ain't gonna cut it

Detroit has 14 road games, and we also have 14 road games. We have played 3 more home games though.

FreshPrince22
12-24-2005, 12:17 AM

Don't you worry. The Spurs will definately be up for this one. This is a game that both teams have been eyeing since the day the schedule was released. The Spurs even moreso now that the Pistons have the best record in the league.
________
BunnyBoo (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/BunnyBoo)

bigbendbruisebrother
12-24-2005, 12:38 AM
It's all about whether our 2 can hit open shots on Sunday. With Tony and Tim drawing crowds, Finley's going to have to hit some shots early to keep Detroit's defense from packing the paint.

It's going to be a tight game, and I have a grim feeling that Manu's absence will be reflected in the final score. That having been said, I'm hoping the Spurs will prove me wrong. I just loved seeing Rip blow a head gasket in the finals after getting pestered by The Rash. Let's not forget Bruce's game ending stuff of "Mister Big Shot" either. I hope Big Shot Rob brings some deja vu for the good folks in Auburn Hills.

On second thought, fuck pessimism. Spurs by 18.

5ToolMan
12-24-2005, 12:48 AM
Detroit has 14 road games, and we also have 14 road games. We have played 3 more home games though.

The Spurs have had more B2B's and way more travel with many short road trips and home stands.

ShoogarBear
12-24-2005, 12:48 AM
Every objective measure says Detroit will win. They're healthier, playing better, have the chip on their shoulder, and it's at their place. I expect a letdown form them sometime during the season, but it doesn't look to be now.

Having said that, a Spur win would seriously screw with their psyche.

Pistons by 5.

bigbendbruisebrother
12-24-2005, 12:53 AM
Every objective measure says Detroit will win. They're healthier, playing better, have the chip on their shoulder, and it's at their place. I expect a letdown form them sometime during the season, but it doesn't look to be now.

Having said that, a Spur win would seriously screw with their psyche.

Pistons by 5.

Damn you with your unbiased honesty!

Pistons < Spurs
12-24-2005, 12:55 AM
The Spurs have had more B2B's

Spur b2b's=5

Pistons b2b's=8

bigbendbruisebrother
12-24-2005, 01:02 AM
Spur b2b's=5

Pistons b2b's=8

And to top it all off, they have to come home to Detroit too.

loveforthegame
12-24-2005, 01:31 AM
It's hard to go against your team but I don't see how the Spurs hope to beat the Pistons if they play like they have been.

Manu is out and no one has stepped up with that fire and attitude. Will anyone do so on Sunday. If the Spurs play like we know they can then I see no reason why they can't take the Pistons.

It all depends on what Spurs team shows up.

5ToolMan
12-24-2005, 01:45 AM
Spur b2b's=5

Pistons b2b's=8

Thanks for calling that out. That means the Pistons have had three more B2B's, yet played three less games during the same stretch. That has allowed the Pistons more practice and/or rest time between games.

Pistons < Spurs
12-24-2005, 02:11 AM
Thanks for calling that out. That means the Pistons have had three more B2B's, yet played three less games during the same stretch. That has allowed the Pistons more practice and/or rest time between games.

we had a stretch from 12/4-12/8 that we did not play. A 5 day break I guess is nice, but that just means we squeezed more games into shorter stretches to make it up. We just finished an 8 game in 12 day stretch (Dec 9th-Dec 20th). We started the season w/ a 3 games in 4 days stretch. Then faced a second 3 in 4 days. Then 3 in 5. Then another 3 in 4. And then yet another 3 in 4.

Not an easy schedule. The Spurs have played 3 more games than us....and yet have 3 more losses.

Granted....we could lose our next 3 ( Spurs, Miami, Cleveland) to equal the # of losses of the Spurs...But I doubt it.

polandprzem
12-24-2005, 02:15 AM
Start the "Why the spurs won" thread

You will need that one Pistons fans

5ToolMan
12-24-2005, 02:18 AM
It appears even if Manu is out, Pop will shorten his rotation to only 8 other players against the Pistons. Only Horry, Barry and NVE saw any quality time against the Raptors. It was clear Pop wanted his top eight players to get a good run and get their timing down playing extended minutes together in the first real test of the year.

The Pistons have no doubt been sharp, with only three losses this season. However, with the Pistons having the same starting five the entire year AND limited bench minutes from the bench, this should be a no brainer to understand why. The vast majority of their minutes are being played by complete units that have been together for over 150 games.

The Spurs on the other hand, have had several games missed due to injuries to Finley, Barry, and Manu AND have had Duncan slowed with a nagging injury for several weeks, all while working THREE new pieces into the regular rotation since last years playoff run. Yet they still have the 2nd best record in the NBA. Go figure?

Excuse me if I am not too impressed by the Pistons slight advantage in sharpness early in the year. The reasons as to why, are quite clear.

Pop has shortened his rotation to limit the turnovers AND to keep at least two of his best three scorers on the floor at all times. This will have a huge impact in the teams sharpness and productivity.

I think Manu may try to go a few minutes off the bench, if he can play without risking injury, despite the latest reports that he will not play. No matter if Manu playes or not, I expect a tough game on the Pistons' home floor. AND I expect the challange of playing the Pistons and shortened rotation to keep the Spurs focused and again demonstrating who is the best team in the league. Spurs 103 - Pistons 92.

5ToolMan
12-24-2005, 02:27 AM
we had a stretch from 12/4-12/8 that we did not play. A 5 day break I guess is nice, but that just means we squeezed more games into shorter stretches to make it up. We just finished an 8 game in 12 day stretch (Dec 9th-Dec 20th). We started the season w/ a 3 games in 4 days stretch. Then faced a second 3 in 4 days. Then 3 in 5. Then another 3 in 4. And then yet another 3 in 4.

Not an easy schedule. The Spurs have played 3 more games than us....and yet have 3 more losses.

Granted....we could lose our next 3 ( Spurs, Miami, Cleveland) to equal the # of losses of the Spurs...But I doubt it.

I think the biggest difference in sharpness between the Pistons and Spurs is very easy to explain. The Pistons have had the large bulk of their minutes from the same team returned from last year AND no games missed to injury by the starting five. The Spurs have had many games missed to injury by starters and front line bench AND a nagging injury to Duncan, while working THREE new players into the regular rotation different than last years playoffs. With the injuries, the Spurs have done a great job of working Rasho back into the rotation, while also learning how to use Finley and NVE with the returning core so the team is strongest in crunch time.

Pistons < Spurs
12-24-2005, 02:51 AM
I think the biggest difference in sharpness between the Pistons and Spurs is very easy to explain. The Pistons have had the large bulk of their minutes from the same team returned from last year AND no games missed to injury by the starting five. The Spurs have had many games missed to injury by starters and front line bench AND a nagging injury to Duncan, while working THREE new players into the regular rotation different than last years playoffs. With the injuries, the Spurs have done a great job of working Rasho back into the rotation, while also learning how to use Finley and NVE with the returning core so the team is strongest in crunch time.

You do know that we have a new coach right? IMO that is a little more difficult to adjust to than inserting Fin in Manu's place for a couple of weeks.

As far as injuries go, they can always affect you. However, Rip and Ben have been battling nagging injuries for the last week. We are not imune to that. Not to mention that Hunter has not been available all year. He was our second most used bench player last year. Now we have Evans, who we are adjusting to slowly but surely. Not to mention that Delfino was injured almost all last year. Also, LB refused to go further than 8 deep into the rotation. So we are likewise learning on the job to work in our other guys.

Lots of excuses or explanations can be made for any teams record. IMO many people are over-reacting to the Pistons record. Yes we have played some games well....but we have also had our lapses. We've had 2 double OverTime games this year, and a buzzer beater in regulation vs. Boston. We could very easily be 18-6 so far this year.

But....the one thing that this team does well, is finsih (w/ the exception of game 7...arrgghh....though I still blame LB). We've taken care of buisness when we had to, and that's all that matters.

Carrera_4S
12-24-2005, 03:20 AM
We'll be "Goin' To Work" on Sunday.

Sense
12-24-2005, 04:24 AM
Who gives a shit, it's a game...

Too much hype for December.

RashoFan
12-24-2005, 06:00 AM
I think it will be a close game,if Rasho steps it up like he did against the Raptors, or Perhaps Tony gets into a crazy mode and catches fire we will win. Honestly, I think Deeeeeeeeeeeetroiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit (basketball) we be adding a "W" come Christmas Day.
Good Luck to the Pistons, looking forward to a GREAT GAME!!!!!

GOODfellas
12-24-2005, 06:22 AM
:lol
The Pistons will not lose any more games this year... :lol :lmao :lmao :lol

jochhejaam
12-24-2005, 08:19 AM
I think it will be a close game,if Rasho steps it up like he did against the Raptors , or Perhaps Tony gets into a crazy mode and catches fire we will win. Honestly, I think Deeeeeeeeeeeetroiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit (basketball) we be adding a "W" come Christmas Day.
Good Luck to the Pistons, looking forward to a GREAT GAME!!!!!
'against the Raptors' :lol Not makin' fun of you, just found that a bit humorous.

Anything can happen in one game so I'm not gonna put my foot in my mouth with a prediction. Pistons will obviously be favored and I'm a fan so I want a win. :D

ducks
12-24-2005, 09:16 AM
after the raps sspurs game
I think the spurs were looking forward to christmas hopefully it is the christmas game not partying for christmas

Spurzn703
12-24-2005, 09:52 AM
Simple question.

Spurstalk.com = Spurs fans website to talk about team

So why are Pistons fans here?

At least be objectionable, and have a little compassion. From what I see, all Pistons fans do here is disagree and talk shit.

I guess I can't match the immaturity. Oh well

Kori Ellis
12-24-2005, 10:05 AM
From what I see, all Pistons fans do here is disagree and talk shit.

That's not true at all. The Pistons fans rarely talk crap here. It's mostly just normal discussion of the teams and most of them are pretty objective. XFactor talks crap but he's not really a Pistons fan -- he's a troll.

By the way, when the odds come out on this game (over/under, spread, etc) can someone post it in this thread and then I'll make the vBookies when I get back from the Saints game.

spurschick
12-24-2005, 10:08 AM
By the way, when the odds come out on this game (over/under, spread, etc) can someone post it in this thread and then I'll make the vBookies when I get back from the Saints game.

Where do you usually get your odds from? if you send me a link, I'll take care of it.

5ToolMan
12-24-2005, 10:08 AM
You do know that we have a new coach right? IMO that is a little more difficult to adjust to than inserting Fin in Manu's place for a couple of weeks.

As far as injuries go, they can always affect you. However, Rip and Ben have been battling nagging injuries for the last week. We are not imune to that. Not to mention that Hunter has not been available all year. He was our second most used bench player last year. Now we have Evans, who we are adjusting to slowly but surely. Not to mention that Delfino was injured almost all last year. Also, LB refused to go further than 8 deep into the rotation. So we are likewise learning on the job to work in our other guys.

Lots of excuses or explanations can be made for any teams record. IMO many people are over-reacting to the Pistons record. Yes we have played some games well....but we have also had our lapses. We've had 2 double OverTime games this year, and a buzzer beater in regulation vs. Boston. We could very easily be 18-6 so far this year.

But....the one thing that this team does well, is finsih (w/ the exception of game 7...arrgghh....though I still blame LB). We've taken care of buisness when we had to, and that's all that matters.

For the Pistons, the effects of the coaching change were minor, and perhaps benificial to early season success. When a team returns all FIVE starters from a championship level team, and those starters all average 34+ minutes per game, most coaches would just roll the ball out, as Flip has mostly done. And since most of Flips changes have been in allowing a more open offense style, this has perhaps been benifical to more early season success for Detroit.

This is not to downplay the Pistons success, but early season has often favored teams who played more up tempo on offense as opposed to the second half of the season where the defenses traditionally have more impact. The difference is, the Pistons, like the Spurs, can play it either way, almost at will.

Kori Ellis
12-24-2005, 10:10 AM
Where do you usually get your odds from? if you send me a link, I'll take care of it.

I usually get them from sports.com but they aren't out. If one of the guys here has a bookie or something, they might have them. Thanks.

spurschick
12-24-2005, 10:12 AM
I usually get them from sports.com but they aren't out. If one of the guys here has a bookie or something, they might have them. Thanks.

You bet - have fun at the game!

smdanss
12-24-2005, 10:57 AM
Spurs 22-6, Pistons 21-4 will be the results.
Spurs and Pop is going to test their capability on :elephant Pistons.

Solid D
12-24-2005, 11:04 AM
I don't think the Spurs are playing well enough together, yet to beat the Pistons in Detroit City. I hope I'm wrong.

spurschick
12-24-2005, 11:19 AM
This is interesting... we are the underdogs for once this year. We were expected to blow out games against the Hawks/Hornets/Bucks/Raptors, etc., but most are expecting to lose against the Pistons. I doubt we're going to see any of those bottomfeeders in the playoffs this year, so this is going to be the best test for us to see where we stand at this point. Time to nut up and see what we're made of. That goes for fans as well.

JamStone
12-24-2005, 11:33 AM
5ToolMan,

1. Injuries are part of the game, and the Pistons have had injuries to several players. They just haven't missed games because of those injuries. That in itself should be commended. Both Ben and Rip could have easily missed multiple games due to injury, but played through them. Fans from other teams have been claiming the reason that the Pistons have played so well is because they haven't had any injuries to their starting five. That's just not true. While it's true the success has definitely been partly attributed to the fact that the starting five have been together, The Pistons' HAVE HAD several injuries to the starters, just not enough to sideline them. And, the fact that they can play through injuries and have conditioned their bodies well enough to avoid a lot of injuries is commendable as well. I'm not saying that serious, freak injuries couldn't happen to any of the Pistons starters, but since they haven't in two and a half years, that should be impressive in itself. You should be impressed by the fact that the Pistons haven't had many serious injuries to deal with to its core players, because most teams have to deal with those kinds of things.

2. There were many people, including some Spurs fans, who claimed that the coaching change would hurt the Pistons, that losing Larry Brown's adjustments and defensive emphasis would make them a less effective team. Learning a whole new system isn't easy, even if you do bring back the same starting five. Getting acclimated to a new head coach does not assure success.

5ToolMan,

I couldn't discredit or dismiss the start the Spurs have had the way you do the Pistons' start. Considering Duncan's nagging foot injury and Manu's absence as well as the implentation of Finley and Van Exel into the rotation, the Spurs should be very proud of their record. Despite the couple of hic-cup games against clearly infrerior teams, I've definitely been impressed with the Spurs, especially Tony Parker, and I've been one who has not thought that highly of him as a point guard in the past. But, Parker has been balling this year. The fact that you aren't "too impressed" with the Pistons' success so far is fine. Some people are stubborn when it comes to giving due props. It surprises me, but you can NOT be impressed all you want.

Just be a little honest with yourself and think hypothetically if the Spurs were 21-3 and completely healthy and the Pistons were 21-6 and a little banged up and lost to a few of the worst teams in the league, how you would laugh at a Pistons fan trying to discredit the Spurs' start. Look in the mirror and go ahead and laugh at yourself.

THE X-FACTOR
12-24-2005, 12:45 PM
The Pistons will not lose any more games this year...

you are an ass The X Factor

THE X-FACTOR
12-24-2005, 12:48 PM
How do you even dare to say I'm not a Pistons Fan?

what's your problem????

maybe since you share the same user name as a real Pistons' fan who is a mod on the Pistons.com message board. Be original and stop trying to copy off of me you loser. Or at the very least learn something about basketball so you stop making yourself look bad.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
12-24-2005, 12:53 PM
At least be objectionable, and have a little compassion. From what I see, all Pistons fans do here is disagree and talk shit.

I disagree with that...

missyy0867
12-24-2005, 01:13 PM
Pistons vs. Spurs: NBA Finals rematch could be a preview

By LARRY LAGE, AP Sports Writer
December 24, 2005

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) -- Chauncey Billups sounded more nonchalant than cocky.

The Detroit Pistons guard was discussing Sunday's game with the San Antonio Spurs, and needed no time to answer the question: Will this NBA Finals rematch be a preview of the 2006 Finals?

"I would be surprised if it wasn't," Billups said.

The Pistons are an NBA-best 21-3 while the Spurs are 21-6.

"They're playing very well, probably the best basketball in the league right now," San Antonio center Tim Duncan said. "We're going to their house where they are even tougher and we haven't been that great on the road. So we're up for one heck of a challenge, and it will be a great time for it."

This game is the first part of the NBA's annual Christmas doubleheader. Even though it features the last two champions, the Shaq-Kobe story line gives the Miami Heat-Los Angeles Lakers game top billing.

"They've got all the drama and hype -- we have the great basketball game," Detroit reserve Maurice Evans said. "Detroit and San Antonio might not be glamour cities like Los Angeles and Miami, but both teams play pure basketball the way its meant to be played."

The Spurs and Pistons kept their starting lineup together, and made their benches stronger after last season. San Antonio added Michael Finley and Nick Van Exel while Detroit signed Evans and Dale Davis.

The Pistons also parted ways with coach Larry Brown, and hired Flip Saunders.

"They have strong starting units, and they're deep teams," Portland coach Nate McMillan said. "If you're picking two teams to come out of the West and East, definitely a lot of people would pick San Antonio, and I think it would be split between Miami and Detroit."

The Spurs beat the defending champion Pistons 81-74 in San Antonio six months ago in the NBA Finals' first Game 7 since 1994.

Detroit bounced back from two early routs in the series by winning twice, then splitting the next two games.

The Pistons had won 10 straight postseason games with a chance to eliminate their opponent, and were trying to become the first team in NBA history to win two Game 7s on the road in a postseason.

"A part of our success so far is tied to losing the way we did in Game 7 last season," Pistons reserve Antonio McDyess said. "It made us hungrier."

After winning a championship in 2004, the Pistons acknowledge they struggled to stay motivated through the monotony of an 82-game regular season.

That's not the case this season.

"Our whole focus is trying to get home-court advantage throughout the playoffs," Billups said. "We play every game focused on the big picture, not against our opponent that night."

That is, until the Pistons face San Antonio.

"It's going to be a good opportunity to play against the other best team in the league," Billups said. "It's always good and fun to have games like this."

spurschick
12-24-2005, 01:16 PM
"They've got all the drama and hype -- we have the great basketball game," Detroit reserve Maurice Evans said. "Detroit and San Antonio might not be glamour cities like Los Angeles and Miami, but both teams play pure basketball the way its meant to be played."

word

boutons
12-24-2005, 01:31 PM
"It made us hungrier."

Exactly. Pistons are on a mission, Spurs are on a ???

"Our whole focus is trying to get home-court advantage throughout the playoffs"

That's what I figured. Thanks for the confirmation. Pistons are undoubtedly convinced that THEY would be Champions now, Game7 winner, if they hadn't screwed around in Nov/Dec 04 and lost Finals HCA to the Spurs. Now it's the Spurs who are screwing around in Nov/Dec 05, ceding Finals HCA to the Pistons.

Pistons 3L
Spurs 6L

The game will go to whichever team wants it more, whichever team is really ready. The Spurs haven't shown much desire this season. Barely escaping against a horrible Raptors @SBC last night with an ugly 2-possession win, they certainly didn't look ready for top-level competitive basketball, have no momentum going into @Auburn Hills.

I am always ready for a great basketball game, but I won't be surprised if the Spurs get blown out. Disappointed but not surprised. Not having nearly-Finals-MVP Manu against Pistons is clearly a problem, but only part of the Spurs' problem.

It will interesting to see if Micheal's nuts and numbers go south vs Pistons, like they have in all his career playoff stats. With Manu out, Michael has a huge challenge/opportunity to show what he's made of (and not only with points). Brent's contribution would be welcome, too.

TDMVPDPOY
12-24-2005, 01:44 PM
Oi Kori, is duncan goin to get braids for this game? he needs it to scare those wallaces

jochhejaam
12-24-2005, 01:45 PM
How do you even dare to say I'm not a Pistons Fan?

what's your problem????
You're the same guy that said the 21-3 Pistons are no better than a .500 team, maybe that's why.

missyy0867
12-24-2005, 01:48 PM
Christmas day preview

By Steve Kerr, Yahoo! Sports

SAN ANTONIO SPURS AT DETROIT PISTONS

The Spurs won the championship a season ago, and their gift from the NBA is a trip to Detroit for Christmas. Thanks a lot, schedule makers.

San Antonio will have to overcome more than just being away for the holidays, of course. Manu Ginobili has missed a couple of weeks with a sprained foot, and the Spurs miss his energy. Losses to Atlanta and Milwaukee make you wonder if the Spurs aren't going through the motions a bit.

Detroit, on the other hand, started off fast and haven't slowed down. They won nine of their first 10 games and are playing with an offensive swagger that they've never had before.

Guards
Chauncey Billups and Richard Hamilton vs. Tony Parker and Michael Finley
The Piston guards have been dominant and are at their best with the game on the line. The Spurs' Parker is having his finest season ever, and Finley has filled in nicely for Ginobili. Advantage: Pistons.

Forwards
Tim Duncan and Bruce Bowen vs. Rasheed Wallace and Tayshaun Prince
Duncan has been slowed by inflammation in his plantar fascia, but is still having another stellar year. Bowen is the best perimeter defender in the game. Wallace and Prince are long, active and athletic, and each is capable of a huge scoring night. Advantage: Even.

Center
Ben Wallace vs. Rasho Nesterovic
Big Ben is doing what he does: blocking shots, rebounding and anchoring the Pistons' defense. Nesterovic has been solid for the Spurs. Advantage: Pistons.

Bench
If Ginobili is healthy, the advantage would go to the Spurs. But Antonio McDyess gives Detroit another long-armed, active player to throw at Duncan. San Antonio will need Nick Van Exel, Brent Barry and Robert Horry to make shots. Advantage: Even.

Coaching
Flip Saunders has given the Pistons offensive freedom, but the team has maintained its strong defensive play. Gregg Popovich is being patient with his team, knowing that June is a long way off. Advantage: Even.

Prediction: Pistons. The Pistons are playing better than the Spurs right now, and they're at home for Christmas. Their speed and activity at every position will be too much.

TwoHandJam
12-24-2005, 02:23 PM
I think our chances of winning in Detroit the way we have been playing right now are pretty low. Add to that the fact that we won't have Manu and the odds go down even more.

Detroit will also want retribution for game 7 last year. It'll depend what Spurs team shows up but I don't like our chances right now. I'll be happy if we compete and at least give ourselves a chance to win.

ABDENOUR POWER
12-24-2005, 03:05 PM
Christmas day preview

By Steve Kerr, Yahoo! Sports

SAN ANTONIO SPURS AT DETROIT PISTONS

The Spurs won the championship a season ago, and their gift from the NBA is a trip to Detroit for Christmas. Thanks a lot, schedule makers.

San Antonio will have to overcome more than just being away for the holidays, of course. Manu Ginobili has missed a couple of weeks with a sprained foot, and the Spurs miss his energy. Losses to Atlanta and Milwaukee make you wonder if the Spurs aren't going through the motions a bit.

Detroit, on the other hand, started off fast and haven't slowed down. They won nine of their first 10 games and are playing with an offensive swagger that they've never had before.

Guards
Chauncey Billups and Richard Hamilton vs. Tony Parker and Michael Finley
The Piston guards have been dominant and are at their best with the game on the line. The Spurs' Parker is having his finest season ever, and Finley has filled in nicely for Ginobili. Advantage: Pistons.

Forwards
Tim Duncan and Bruce Bowen vs. Rasheed Wallace and Tayshaun Prince
Duncan has been slowed by inflammation in his plantar fascia, but is still having another stellar year. Bowen is the best perimeter defender in the game. Wallace and Prince are long, active and athletic, and each is capable of a huge scoring night. Advantage: Even.

Center
Ben Wallace vs. Rasho Nesterovic
Big Ben is doing what he does: blocking shots, rebounding and anchoring the Pistons' defense. Nesterovic has been solid for the Spurs. Advantage: Pistons.

Bench
If Ginobili is healthy, the advantage would go to the Spurs. But Antonio McDyess gives Detroit another long-armed, active player to throw at Duncan. San Antonio will need Nick Van Exel, Brent Barry and Robert Horry to make shots. Advantage: Even.

Coaching
Flip Saunders has given the Pistons offensive freedom, but the team has maintained its strong defensive play. Gregg Popovich is being patient with his team, knowing that June is a long way off. Advantage: Even.

Prediction: Pistons. The Pistons are playing better than the Spurs right now, and they're at home for Christmas. Their speed and activity at every position will be too much.

I'm surprised that an article by Steve Kerr would seem a little biased towards the Pistons.

mikejones99
12-24-2005, 03:18 PM
Jews don't know enough about basketball, but they can sure hit an open shot. Coaches even?

pawe
12-24-2005, 03:20 PM
Kerr knows the spurs and he knows how pop goes so he's just incorporating it in his writings. i think he's just playing it safe coz he knows the spurs will go down this christmas.

Marklar MM
12-24-2005, 03:25 PM
The only Jew in basketball is David Stern.

mikejones99
12-24-2005, 03:41 PM
What do you think the score will be? GO SPURS

Rummpd
12-24-2005, 03:57 PM
With Ginobili out I still see the Spurs winning a close one 100-97.

mavsfan1000
12-24-2005, 03:58 PM
I predict the pistons win 100-94.

FreshPrince22
12-24-2005, 04:06 PM
Kerr is just trying to jinx us. I'm not buying it.
________
LOS ANGELES CONFIDENTIAL DISPENSARY (http://www.dispensaries.org/)

bigbendbruisebrother
12-24-2005, 04:12 PM
The only Jew in basketball is David Stern.

Wait, you're saying that the spot on Rasheed Wallace's head is NOT a yarmulke? Oy vey!

theMUHMEshow
12-24-2005, 04:13 PM
Pistons 98
Spurs 87

It will not be close at all. Only reason Spurs get the scoreboard close is because Pistons always play their scrubs in blowouts. They hardly ever win big. Plus Manu is not playing so that does not help the Spurs at all. The way I REMEMBER the finals Manu or Bowen should have been the MVP...and tomorrow Manu is not playing

Rummpd
12-24-2005, 04:13 PM
Dear mavsfan1000:

Sorry we cannot accept predictions from fans of teams that get outscored by one player after 3 quarters and are kept out of the game due to mercy.

themvp
12-24-2005, 04:20 PM
I think Spurs will win this one. They are strong.

THE X-FACTOR
12-24-2005, 04:23 PM
You're the same guy that said the 21-3 Pistons are no better than a .500 team, maybe that's why.

There is a difference from sarcasm (which most everyone picked up on) and trolling, I guess you still don't know the difference. I am not trying to pick you out on this but if you look at my posts (outside of that ONE sarcasist post) and theirs you can easily tell the difference with some common sense. Anyhow the people who know my posts can tell.

JamStone
12-24-2005, 04:45 PM
100-88 Detroit

Pistons < Spurs
12-24-2005, 04:50 PM
102 - 92 Detroit

mikejones99
12-24-2005, 05:07 PM
IF the Lions can win in San Antonio, I am sure the Spurs can win in Detroit.

dbreiden83080
12-24-2005, 05:57 PM
Pistons 98
Spurs 87

The way I REMEMBER the finals Manu or Bowen should have been the MVP...and tomorrow Manu is not playing

You must have watched the finals blind, if that is what you think.

mavsfan1000
12-24-2005, 05:59 PM
You must have watched the finals blind, if that is what you think.
That was last year. This year the pistons are better.

mikejones99
12-24-2005, 06:14 PM
Pistons fans forge how deep San Antonio is. Finley and Van exel were added to an already deep team and Rasho is healthy this year.

Kori Ellis
12-24-2005, 06:22 PM
I don't really know the difference between X-Factor and X Factor, but the reason I said XFactor (your bi-name) is a troll and not really a Pistons fan is because the majority of the posts I see by this person are just trashing the Spurs, not much substance.

I thought the troll poster was X-Factor and that X Factor was actually a regular Pistons fan. But then I looked back and saw this post ...

The Pistons have not played the Spurs, Heat, Pacers, Cavs, or Wolves yet.....the only good team they have played (Dallas) blew them out, the Pistons are not as good as their record, they maybe 20-3 but they are only a .500 team.....

^^ That post seems like a troll accidentally posting under the wrong screen name. But that post was actually X Factor. *shrug* Go figure.

One of you lives in Cali and one in Detroit. I'll assume the Cali one is the troll.

RashoFan
12-24-2005, 06:45 PM
'against the Raptors' :lol Not makin' fun of you, just found that a bit humorous.

Anything can happen in one game so I'm not gonna put my foot in my mouth with a prediction. Pistons will obviously be favored and I'm a fan so I want a win. :D
Glad that you got a laugh... no worries, we are cool. Good Luck to the Pistons...Looking forward to a good game! :smokin :drunk

JamStone
12-24-2005, 10:09 PM
Pistons fans forge how deep San Antonio is. Finley and Van exel were added to an already deep team and Rasho is healthy this year.

Who's forgot that San Antonio is deep? Just because the Spurs may be deeper doesn't mean Pistons fan automatically has to feel that the Spurs will beat the Pistons.

Finley and Van Exel were great pick-ups. They'd be even better if Manu wasn't injured. And Rasho being healthy this year is offset by the fact that Nazr Mohammed and Fabricio Oberto have largely remained non-factors so far this year, wouldn't you say?

No one "forgot" that San Antonio is deep. I think the Spurs are a very deep team. That doesn't mean I think the Pistons are going to lose to them. Nice try on the logic though.

PistonsFan
01-01-2006, 03:34 PM
85-70 Pistons win. Someone said someone would win by 5 didn't they? Don't felel ike going back reading the thread

ManuTastic
01-01-2006, 09:10 PM
Do you feel like going back to school and learning math?