PDA

View Full Version : What's that tattoo on Araujo?

Solid D
12-23-2005, 10:00 PM
What is that on his back, Johnson Grass?

ALVAREZ6
12-23-2005, 10:01 PM
All I know is he sucks ass.

They picked him 8th overall, and they could have taken Andre Iguodala who was picked 9th by the Sixers.

ZStomp
12-23-2005, 10:04 PM
eehhhh who cares?

JMarkJohns
12-24-2005, 01:28 AM
All I know is he sucks ass.

They picked him 8th overall, and they could have taken Andre Iguodala who was picked 9th by the Sixers.

First off, I'm biased. I know Araujo, having shared the same JUCO (AWC) and having met him...

Lastly... The Raptors had Carter, Jalen Rose, Donyell Marhsall and Moriss Peterson at the time of the draft, but had NO center on their roster. Tell me please... What were they to do? Play an all-wing lineup? At the time, Bosh wasn't the force he was now and REALLY struggled at the center position. They thought a 20-10 7-footer with good hands and a great work ethic was worth more to them than another wing player. As it turns out, Araujo just can't move. Lost weight didn't matter. Araujo worked so hard he actually tried ol' Mic's trick from Rocky and started chasing around a chicken. How many NBA players would do that? Chase a fuckin' chicken?

He doesn't suck. He just can't keep up. He's not athletic enough. Did they reach for him? Sure, but was it dumb to take a center over a RAW wing when you had no center and loads of talent at the wing position? No.

He's a great guy and a hard worker and deserves a lot better than the shit the dumbass Toronto press and know-nothing, know-it-all fans have given him.

JMarkJohns
12-24-2005, 03:10 AM
http://www.thestar.com/images/thestar/img/051007_blog_araujo_200.jpg

This was the best pic I could find.

He didn't have the tattoos while at Arizona Western.

He got them while at BYU.

themvp
12-24-2005, 04:49 AM
Thats very nice tribal tattoo!

JMarkJohns
12-24-2005, 05:29 AM
Yeah and by the way, as a rookie, in the six games he played more than 20 minutes, Hoffa averaged just under 11 points and 8 rebounds (64 points, 46 rebounds total). Not too shabby, eh?

Unfortunately, He had reoccuring back and ankle injuries (only played in 59 with half being 10 minutes or less).

This year he just isn't getting any play. They are trying to turn into an uptempo team and Araujo is a half-court player. He lumbers. No quickness, no hops. But if given the PT, he could be a quality center, but to succeed, he needs a team that plays more deliberate... more structured. I think Memphis would be a solid fit. Fratello calls the play on each and every possession. That's the tempo Araujo needs.

ALVAREZ6
12-24-2005, 07:59 AM
He doesn't suck. He just can't keep up. He's not athletic enough.

In other words, he sucks.

Since when is athleticism not a huge part of basketball?

alamo50
12-24-2005, 12:24 PM
:lol

ChumpDumper
12-24-2005, 12:52 PM
After seeing Pape Sow toying with our D-League team last night, I wonder why they sent him down and not Araujo.

JMarkJohns
12-24-2005, 12:54 PM
Alvarez, you're pathetic. He's more skilled than half the bigs in the League.

Since when was athleticisim a skillset? If this was so, then Travis Outlaw must be an All-Star. That guy can fly and has no problem keeping up.

He's on the wrong team. That's it, that's all. They don't use him properly, they run, which leaves him behind. There are a great deal of plodders that don't suck.

As I said, 11-8 when given 20+ minutes as a rookie.

EDIT: As for D-League... he's said he'll go down, because he's willing to do whatever it takes. He's down to 270 (from 310 at the draft) and that didn't help his speed. He chased the chicken, nothing. He deserves better. I don't think you realize how good he was in college. If you did, I don't think you'd be questioning a centerless, wing-filled team for taking a center over a wing.

ALVAREZ6
12-24-2005, 01:30 PM
Alvarez, you're pathetic.
Fuck you.

JMarkJohns
12-24-2005, 01:51 PM
Ah... just like old times!

ChumpDumper
12-24-2005, 01:52 PM
I don't doubt his effort, but drafting for position when there were such obvious worth and fit issues isn't very smart. Villanueva and Calderon are the only reasons Babcock still has a job.

TDMVPDPOY
12-24-2005, 01:57 PM
http://www.thestar.com/images/thestar/img/051007_blog_araujo_200.jpg

This was the best pic I could find.

He didn't have the tattoos while at Arizona Western.

He got them while at BYU.

white guys with alot of tatoos dont look to good on them, just ask birdman from NOH

Solid D
12-24-2005, 02:01 PM
http://www.inhs.uiuc.edu/chf/outreach/VMG/images/johngrass.gifhttp://www.thestar.com/images/thestar/img/051007_blog_araujo_200.jpg
Johnson grass (Sorghum halepense)

ChumpDumper
12-24-2005, 02:01 PM
Thats very nice tribal tattoo!Exactly what tribe is that from?

JMarkJohns
12-24-2005, 02:07 PM
I don't doubt his effort, but drafting for position when there were such obvious worth and fit issues isn't very smart. Villanueva and Calderon are the only reasons Babcock still has a job.

I'm a University of Arizona fan. Iguodala was very, very far from a sure thing as far as the NBA was concerned. He had a lot of potential and not much more than superior athleticism to get him there. He lacked a jumper, a 3-point shot and in college, he dominated the ball on offense, struggled to create for himself and rarely played consistant defense. He's done very well for himself. He is still very inconsistant, however and still needs a lot of work.

They had Carter, Rose, Marshall and Peterson. Again, why would they take another wing? Drafting (acquiring) four wings sure did great things for the Clippers. Ya know, Odom, Maggette, Miles and Richardson were unstoppable as Clippers. The Raptors had their stars. Even if I didn't know him, drafting a 20-10, 7-foot, 300 pound, skilled center isn't a poor choice. Not when you need one. A lot of people thought that if he lost 20/40 pounds, his quickness would improve. It didn't work.

Bruno
12-24-2005, 02:12 PM
The thing that I've heard about Arraujo that he has Raptor's arms, his arms are short and he hasn't a big wingspan.

ChumpDumper
12-24-2005, 02:12 PM
A Sam Bowie > Michael Jordan argument if I ever heard one. I'm not even pimping Iguodala -- 2004 was a pretty good year to trade out of, especially if you were looking for a missing piece.

JMarkJohns
12-24-2005, 02:27 PM
A Sam Bowie > Michael Jordan argument if I ever heard one. I'm not even pimping Iguodala -- 2004 was a pretty good year to trade out of, especially if you were looking for a missing piece.

Except I'm not saying Araujo is better than Iggy.

Yes, they could have traded down. They should have. Everyone knew it at the time. But rumor had it Boston was looking at him and Boston had several first-rounders that year, so there was no guarantee he'd be available after the lottory. They should have taken David Harrison. He's the better athlete and would have done more and even though his desire is always in question, obviously it would have mattered, just as Araujo's hard work and desire hasn't mattered. Damn fans want a player who'll dunk a few times and block a few shots. That's not Araujo's game at all.

Araujo: 18 points, 10 rebounds, 58-FG%, 73-FT%
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/gamelog?playerId=11325&year=2004
Harrison: 17 points, 9 rebounds, 63-FG%, 53-FT%
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/gamelog?playerId=5196&year=2004

Araujo has range on his jumper (because he has to) and has post moves. Harrison is like Nazr. Good for dunks and few blocks.

ChumpDumper
12-24-2005, 02:32 PM
No I said trade out not down.

ShoogarBear
12-24-2005, 03:16 PM
He chased the chicken, nothing.
Wrong verb is why.