PDA

View Full Version : Pistons: Back With A Vengeance

Kori Ellis
12-25-2005, 04:14 AM
Pistons: Back With A Vengeance

By Rasheeb Shrestha
SpursZONE.com

http://www.woai.com/spurs/story.aspx?content_id=1B837E1F-CA9C-4386-B08D-4DAFE1FD640E

It all started with a laugh.

The Detroit Pistons had just lost to the San Antonio Spurs in Game Seven of the 2005 NBA Finals, ending their one-year reign atop the NBA, and their team charter back home was predictably full of dead silence. Such a defeat could have devastated a group of individuals who had overcome obstacle after obstacle just to get back to the Finals, and the mood on the plane suggested as much.

Yes, Rob Thomas, this IS how a heart breaks.

But just when it seemed the Pistons were headed for a long summer of reflect and regret, Rip Hamilton changed everything. He finally exhaled, letting out a laugh as loud and profound as it was symbolic. The rest of the Pistons followed suit, as the mood quickly changed from looking back to looking ahead.

“They’re just borrowing our trophy,” a defiant Hamilton proclaimed.

What followed was an off-season of change. Yes, Larry Brown was out and Flip Saunders in as head coach, but it was much more than just that. The Pistons collectively decided to take the regular season seriously for once, after learning the hard way that home court advantage does in fact matter in the playoffs.

Their work started in the summer, with Rasheed Wallace losing 15 pounds and showing up to camp in his best shape in years. Tayshaun Prince worked tirelessly on his entire offensive package – inching his way closer to becoming that reliable go-to-guy. Hamilton concentrated on improving his 3-point stroke, and Chauncey Billups worked on the finer parts of his game. As for Ben Wallace, well, all you have to know is for a guy who needs no extra motivation; he was about to enter a contract year.

Add in Flip’s creativity and hands-off approach to the Pistons’ offense, and Detroit fans could not have asked for a better start to the season, as their 21-3 record suggests.

Coach Brown a Mere Afterthought

Contrary to popular belief, the Pistons’ motivation doesn’t stem from wanting to prove they can win without Larry Brown. When a team makes the Eastern Conference Finals with one coach, wins the NBA Title with another coach, and then starts a season 21-3 with a third coach, one thing is for certain: it’s not about the coach, it’s about the players.

The Pistons’ motivation is the same as it’s always been: to prove they’re the best team this League has seen in years.

Rule Changes Help Pistons

Detroit’s ascent to the top of the League started in the 2001-2002 season, which, not coincidentally, was the first season the NBA legalized zone defenses. David Stern’s vision was to reduce the number of isolation plays and to improve passing, teamwork, and, eventually, the overall aesthetics of the game.

Piston GM Joe Dumars created his team with this in mind. Offensively, he made sure everyone on the floor could make an impact on the game without ever having to dominate the ball.

But it’s on defense where the rule changes helped them the most. Hardly any team in the League plays a zone consistently. However, almost every team takes advantage of the newer rules – double-teaming a star player when he doesn’t have the ball and positioning the defense in such a way that they’re able to rotate and help quicker. Hence, it became easier to negate the effect of superstars; and the Pistons, with their superior quickness and unparalleled length of their defenders, have taken advantage of these rules more than any other team.

Dumars’ vision became crystal clear during the 2004 NBA Finals, when the balanced Piston attack destroyed the star-laden Los Angeles Lakers, becoming the first team in a quarter century to win the NBA Title without at least one true superstar. Now a year and a half removed from that Championship, the Pistons are proving once again that “team over star” is the new mantra of the NBA.

A Season for the Ages?

Not surprisingly, Detroit has not gotten much pub over their unbelievable start to the season. The fact is they are currently on pace for over 70 wins – which would put them in the ball park of the 1996 Chicago Bulls’ record mark of 72-10. But it hasn’t been the number of wins that have been impressive – it’s the WAY they’ve been winning.

They are infinitely improved on offense. They take care of the ball better than any other team in the League, and they still shut you down when they have to do so. Their crunch time play is so impressive that you better hope to blow them out to beat them.

You wanna know the scary part? There’s still room for improvement. They’ll be the first to say their defense and rebounding have not lived up to their usual standards as of yet. Their bench play, while much improved, is still somewhat inconsistent. And of course with a brand new head coach, they are almost guaranteed to get better as the season moves along.

The Pistons are not without their flaws – as minor as they may be – and they will certainly be tested again and again throughout the course of the season – beginning with Sunday’s Finals rematch with the Spurs. The defending Champs are off to their own hot start, and if it weren’t for Manu Ginobili’s nagging injuries, we might be talking about two teams going for 70 wins.

The Pistons know this, and they also know they’ll likely see the Spurs again this coming June in the NBA Finals. There’s absolutely no doubt it would be a tremendous series, just as it was last year. And after the series is over, the Pistons have absolutely no doubt they’ll be laughing again -- but this time for an entirely different reason.

Dos
12-25-2005, 10:29 AM
let's not forget miami could be laughing as well.... lol

FreshPrince22
12-25-2005, 10:40 AM
let's not forget miami could be laughing as well.... lol

Yea, it's just too bad for them that they blew up their roster, so that feeling from last year only affects a few.
________
Laguna Heights Condo Wong Amat (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

ahb
12-25-2005, 11:52 AM
Zone? Double-teams? WTF?

FreshPrince22
12-25-2005, 12:11 PM
Zone? Double-teams? WTF?

Yea, clearly the guy who wrote it has never watched a Pistons game. You'll be hard pressed to see 1 or 2 zone possessions per game, and pretty much never double team.
________
ROLL BLUNTS (http://howtorollablunt.net/)

Vashner
12-25-2005, 02:55 PM
"Borrowing our trophy".. Fightin' words!

Tek_XX
12-25-2005, 03:29 PM
"Borrowing our trophy".. Fightin' words!

Exactly, this better be posted in the locker room come playoff time. If these players can't be motivated by such a statement then they're in trouble.

Gooshie
12-25-2005, 03:59 PM
Yea, clearly the guy who wrote it has never watched a Pistons game. You'll be hard pressed to see 1 or 2 zone possessions per game, and pretty much never double team.

I've never watched a Pistons game? That's pretty funny.
Re-read the article - I never said the Pistons play a zone, in fact I said hardly any team in the League plays a zone consistently. But what every team in the League does do is "lean" a little bit more in their help defense than they were able to do before with the old rules. So, when a player trys to isolate and drive to the basket, the defenders have a shorter path to step up and help than they did before.

Every team in the League does this, but the Pistons are by far the most successful at it because of their quickness and length. I'm not saying the Pistons' D would not be effective under the old rules with the "illegal defenses." I'm just saying their defense is even better with the rule changes.

FreshPrince22
12-25-2005, 04:58 PM
I've never watched a Pistons game? That's pretty funny.
Re-read the article - I never said the Pistons play a zone, in fact I said hardly any team in the League plays a zone consistently. But what every team in the League does do is "lean" a little bit more in their help defense than they were able to do before with the old rules. So, when a player trys to isolate and drive to the basket, the defenders have a shorter path to step up and help than they did before.

Every team in the League does this, but the Pistons are by far the most successful at it because of their quickness and length. I'm not saying the Pistons' D would not be effective under the old rules with the "illegal defenses." I'm just saying their defense is even better with the rule changes.

Maybe you didn't mean it, but if that's the case, the way you wrote it is a bit misleading...

However, almost every team takes advantage of the newer rules ? double-teaming a star player when he doesn?t have the ball and positioning the defense in such a way that they?re able to rotate and help quicker. Hence, it became easier to negate the effect of superstars; and the Pistons, with their superior quickness and unparalleled length of their defenders, have taken advantage of these rules more than any other team.

To me, that sounds like you're saying we double team all the time to "take away" star players. When that is the exact opposite philosophy we use. We let the star players do their thing, but we stay at home on their role players. How do you think we beat the Lakers in '04? We completely shut down everyone but Shaq and Kobe. Shaq put up gaudy numbers, but that's because we didn't send in double teams like pretty much every other team in the league. Yea, we help on defense, and try to clog the lane on penetration, but we never go to a guy and try to take the ball out of their hands by doubling.

Detroit?s ascent to the top of the League started in the 2001-2002 season, which, not coincidentally, was the first season the NBA legalized zone defenses.

Larry Brown and Rick Carlisle hated Zone defenses (Larry especially). You could probably count the possessions of zone defenses on 1 hand in those 4 years. This year you can probably count them on 2 hands. And the 01-02 comment is nice and all, but that is also the year Rick Carlisle took over as Head Coach. So, to me, that is completely coincidental.

In my opinion, the Pistons have actually been hurt by defensive rule changes more than any team lately. The hand-check rule absolutely killed us last year. We used it to our advantage when it wasn't a rule more than any other team, and we don't have the players to utilize it on the offensive end that other teams do. Our leading scorer doesn't dribble. He is not a slasher what-so-ever. It's no suprise that guys like Manu, Wade, Arenas, Hughes, etc all had monster years last year. It's because you can't lay a finger on them when they have the ball, and they're driving to the lane. We really don't have anyone who does that.

That's why I think the article is completely misleading.
________
Nexium Sickness (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/nexium/)

geerussell
12-26-2005, 04:31 AM
In my opinion, the Pistons have actually been hurt by defensive rule changes more than any team lately. The hand-check rule absolutely killed us last year. We used it to our advantage when it wasn't a rule more than any other team, and we don't have the players to utilize it on the offensive end that other teams do. Our leading scorer doesn't dribble. He is not a slasher what-so-ever. It's no suprise that guys like Manu, Wade, Arenas, Hughes, etc all had monster years last year. It's because you can't lay a finger on them when they have the ball, and they're driving to the lane. We really don't have anyone who does that.

That's why I think the article is completely misleading.

Actually, IIRC, the pistons were first or close to first in the league last year in fewest foul calls against them. There was a brief period of adjustment at the start of the 04-05 season--as there was for all teams--but over the course of the season it didn't hurt them at all.

FreshPrince22
12-26-2005, 09:35 AM
Actually, IIRC, the pistons were first or close to first in the league last year in fewest foul calls against them. There was a brief period of adjustment at the start of the 04-05 season--as there was for all teams--but over the course of the season it didn't hurt them at all.

uhh, that makes no sense. Yea, they fouled less because they stopped doing it, and consequently their defense got MUCH worse. It wasn't even close to what it was in the Sheed-era '04. The defense was just insane then. That Pistons defense was the entire reason the league added the hand-check rules. But after the rule changes we had to go soft or our guards would foul out in 2 minutes. Trust me, it hurt us more than anyone in the league. Now, we couldn't stop dribble penetration if our life depended on it. We have to rely on bigs to help in the paint to get stops.
________
Live sex webshows (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

pjjrfan
12-26-2005, 10:36 AM
Borrow my ass!! The Spurs took it!!!! :jack :jack :jack
Sounds like a lot of rationale phycho babble to me. This is not to say that the Pistons won't take it back this year, but please give me a break, they got beat. And I still say it's the Pistons who have to play like they have something to prove. I will admit that the Spurs rebounding troubles is not a good sign for any repeat dreams. They are going to have to address this big time. And soon, rebounding is an attitude, which right now the Pistons have and the Spurs do not.

G-Nob
12-26-2005, 11:30 AM
Detroit is the best team in the league right now, but I think they need to tap the breaks a little bit if they're talking 70 wins. I see the same chip on their shoulders as was what marched in here in June. This year looks like the chip is a lot bigger and they are already playing the vengence card. Lets take the rodeo trip and then we can better assess how this thing may play out.

FreshPrince22
12-26-2005, 12:10 PM
I think they need to tap the breaks a little bit if they're talking 70 wins.

No Piston players/coaches have brought up the 70 wins thing. It's all Scottie Pippen who started it. Whenever our players are asked about 70 wins they just shrug it off and say "one game at a time".
________
Peak Towers Condominium Pattaya (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)