PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Bowen's ability to give back ...

Kori Ellis
12-25-2005, 06:49 AM
Bowen's ability to give back, frustrate makes him the Spurs' go-to man

Web Posted: 12/25/2005 12:00 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA122505.1C.BKNspurs.bowen.2a96a10.html

It was a chilly Friday afternoon in December, and the auditorium at Brackenridge High School swelled with students eager for their holiday break to begin. Together, they represented a cross-section of the school: athletes, student-government leaders, honor-roll members and anyone else, good grades or not, in need of a little encouragement from a local celebrity.

Bruce Bowen was the celebrity, and his message was a familiar one: Go to college.

While the Spurs' Coyote and Silver Dancers warmed up the crowd, Bowen waited off-stage. Someone handed him three rolled T-shirts to throw to the students, and he started to juggle them.

"You can call me a man of many talents," he said, laughing.

No one needs to tell the Spurs that. Through his smothering defense, his timely shooting and his durability (he will play in his team-record 300th consecutive game today), Bowen has made 2005 one of the most memorable years in the franchise's history.

In addition to helping the Spurs to their third NBA championship, Bowen celebrated the birth of his first child, developed a rewards program to encourage local children to stay in shape and eat healthy, and (he thinks) finally completed the coursework for his public-relations degree. All of which is reason enough for the Express-News to name him its Sportsman of the Year.

Vince Carter will probably laugh at that. So will Ray Allen. Bowen has been called many things in recent years, "sportsman" rarely among them.

His defense has frustrated a handful of players enough for them to accuse him of being too physical, dirty and, in the words of Allen, playing "sissy basketball."

New York coach Larry Brown has another name for Bowen: Pest. He means it as a compliment. Few, if any, defenders are better at beating opponents to their comfort spots on the floor.

As Spurs' TV analyst Sean Elliott likes to say, "Bruce just invades your space."

Other players, like Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade and Peja Stojakovic, appear to enjoy the challenge of going against Bowen. After trying to run Bowen through screen after screen a week ago, Stojakovic smiled and swatted him on the rear at the start of the second half as if to say, "You ready for more?"

Bowen finished second to Detroit's Ben Wallace for Defensive Player of the Year. The league's coaches named him to the All-Defensive first team for the second consecutive season.

"At least coaches know who he is," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "But on a national basis, it's almost like you have to beat your chest. You have to get into trouble or create some sort of controversy so someone will notice you.

"He's not going to do that. He's mature enough to enjoy the respect of the coaches more than just the respect of the fans and the media."

While the public debated whether Manu Ginobili should have shared the NBA Finals MVP award with Tim Duncan, the Spurs know this — without Bowen, they wouldn't have won the championship.

During the playoffs, Bowen held Seattle's Allen, Denver's Carmelo Anthony, Phoenix's Shawn Marion and Detroit's Richard Hamilton below their regular-season scoring averages. He also volunteered to defend Pistons point guard Chauncey Billups, blocking Billups' jump shot with 55 seconds left in Game 7 of the Finals to help close out the Spurs' third title.

Bowen's contributions also extended to the other side of the court. He made 43.3 percent of his 3-pointers in the playoffs, including a 24-foot shot that helped separate the Spurs from Detroit midway through the final quarter of Game 7.

"Maybe when it's all said and done, I'll say, 'Wow,'" Bowen said. "But for now, I'm continuing to try to show those who didn't vote for me or give me acknowledgement who I am."

San Antonio residents need no introduction to Bowen. He's represented the Spurs at charitable events, schools, autograph signings and basketball clinics. The team's community relations and media relations staffs consider him their go-to guy.

Need someone to answer fans' questions at the local mall? Get Bruce. Need someone to deliver snappy sound bites after practice? Get Bruce.

The NBA requires each player to make 12 community appearances each season. With a week left in 2005, Bowen has made 44.

"I think the fans here appreciate having someone do that," Bowen said before laughing. "So when I go 0 for 12, they'll say, 'He couldn't shoot, but you know what, he came to the school today, so he's all right.'"

Before almost every home game, Bowen meets with elementary school pupils as a reward for participating in his Get Fit program. After hearing how San Antonio's obesity rate for adults rates as one of the nation's highest, Bowen designed a program to help local children lead more healthy lifestyles as a project for a public-relations course he took at UTSA.

Bowen began his college education while playing at Cal State Fullerton almost 15 years ago. After taking a science course online this summer to meet his degree requirements, he hopes to soon have his diploma.

Despite Bowen's coursework and new family obligations — his wife, Yardley, gave birth to their son, Ojani, in September — team officials have marveled at how hard he continues to work to improve his game. Before practice, he goes through his own workout routine with assistant coach Brett Brown.

"Bruce epitomizes Pop's vision of this program when he started building it 10 years ago," Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said.

Ten years ago, Bowen was splitting time between the French League and the CBA, hoping to someday land a job in the NBA. He used his own career path as an example when discussing the value of perseverance with the students at Brackenridge.

"Don't worry about naysayers," Bowen said, "because you guys can do anything you want."

Bowen then agreed to answer questions from the audience. Someone asked him if he could rap.

"No," he said, laughing. "I also know my limitations in life."

Solid D
12-25-2005, 08:54 AM
Congratulations, Bruce. 'So often unappreciated, but this acknowledgment is well deserved .

MI21
12-25-2005, 09:34 AM
Man, I totally need a Bruce Bowen jersey. One of my favourite players ever.

:tu :tu for Bruce.

DesiSpur_21
12-25-2005, 09:34 AM
Bruce Da Man.

Great advice for students to go to college. It gives them those "extra" years to make sensible long-term decisions.

polandprzem
12-25-2005, 10:52 AM
Man, I totally need a Bruce Bowen jersey. One of my favourite players ever.

:tu :tu for Bruce.

I need one also.

Maybe next year...

ObiwanGinobili
12-25-2005, 11:33 AM
I want a pink Bowen jersey...... i wonder if they make one?

MI21
12-25-2005, 12:09 PM
Women in pink NBA Jerseys is a good thing.

:tu :tu

T Park
12-25-2005, 12:16 PM
Bowen finished second to Detroit's Ben Wallace for Defensive Player of the Year. The league's coaches named him to the All-Defensive first team for the second consecutive season.

"At least coaches know who he is," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "But on a national basis, it's almost like you have to beat your chest. You have to get into trouble or create some sort of controversy so someone will notice you.

"He's not going to do that. He's mature enough to enjoy the respect of the coaches more than just the respect of the fans and the media

David Robinsonesque.

ca®lo
12-25-2005, 02:30 PM
"Maybe when it's all said and done, I'll say, 'Wow,'" Bowen said. "But for now, I'm continuing to try to show those who didn't vote for me or give me acknowledgement who I am."

Bruce for DPOY'06!!!!