PDA

View Full Version : Horry's Holiday Tradition

missmyzte
12-25-2005, 03:27 PM
A Holiday Tradition
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/christmas_051225.html#horry

by Greg Ruder
Christmas is a time to be home with family and loved ones. To be together, exchange gifts, and enjoy the company of those closest to you.

Unless you are Robert Horry. In his 14 seasons in the NBA, Horry has played on Christmas Day nine times, including the Sunday’s match-up with the Detroit Pistons.

With the way the NBA schedules its Christmas Day games, usually trying to schedule a rematch of the previous year’s finalists and having another marquee match-up, it’s actually kind of a testament to the teams Horry has played on.

“I’ve been very fortunate to be on some great teams,” Horry said. “I know a lot of guys who wished they played on Christmas Day. I’ve just been on teams that have been winning championship and people want to see them play.”

Horry has played on Christmas Day with four different teams during his NBA career. In 1993 and 1995 he played on Christmas Day with the Houston Rockets. In 1996 he was with the Phoenix Suns. He played five consecutive Christmas Day games with the Lakers from 1999-2003, and this year he will be in Detroit with the San Antonio Spurs.

“As long as I keep playing on Christmas Day,” he says, “it means we are doing something right on the team.”

From the age of 23, however, Horry has had to adjust to spending the biggest holiday of the year away from his family.

“It’s tough,” he admits. “But I’ve been doing it so long that you kinda get used to it and make other arrangements.”

Horry has been a part of six championship teams and is probably most well-known for his late-game heroics come playoff time. But when it was brought to his attention that he is only 2-6 on Christmas Day games, he was a little shy to talk.

“Man don’t say that!” said Horry. “Hopefully we can make that 3-6 this year, but don’t be talking about that to anyone else!”