PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Notebook: Evans happy in Detroit, but loves San Antonio

Kori Ellis
12-26-2005, 02:14 AM
Spurs Notebook: Evans happy in Detroit, but loves San Antonio

Web Posted: 12/26/2005 12:00 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA122605.4E.BKN.spurs.notes.84e9a43.html

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. — Former University of Texas forward Maurice Evans signed with Detroit this summer, but he hasn't completely left the Lone Star State.

Evans bought a house in San Antonio and plans to keep it as his off-season home.

"I've always been familiar with the area and enjoyed it," Evans said. "There aren't too many better places to live, in my opinion, than Texas. It's a great state, warm weather pretty much all year round.

"San Antonio is definitely one of those up-and-coming beautiful cities."

Evans also almost called San Antonio home for the NBA season. Spurs general manager R.C. Buford, who attended the same Wichita, Kan., high school as Evans, discussed signing him if Michael Finley went elsewhere.

Evans, a restricted free agent who played for Sacramento last season, waited a while for Finley to make his decision, but couldn't put off the Pistons when they made their three-year, $4.9 million offer.

"I think (the Spurs) have an awesome organization, one of the best in basketball and in all of professional sports," said Evans, who had six points and four rebounds in 16 minutes Sunday. "I was very flattered they were interested in me ... but when the opportunity to sign in Detroit came about, I couldn't resist. I'm very excited to be where I'm at."

Evans plans on watching the Longhorns play in the Rose Bowl next week. Pistons point guard Chauncey Billups has a cousin that plays for USC.

"We were trying to get out there, but couldn't make it happen," Evans said. "But I'm looking forward to watching the game."

Not interested: USA Basketball officials have begun contacting NBA players as they start to assemble a team to play in the 2006 World Championships and 2008 Olympics.

They probably shouldn't waste much time trying to recruit Tim Duncan.

Duncan hasn't changed his mind about not playing in the Olympics, especially with USA Basketball asking for a three-year commitment from players.

"That's just too long when you're already playing 100 games a season," he said.

Duncan made it clear after playing on the bronze-medal team in the Athens Games that he probably wasn't going to return. Even if USA Basketball had hired Spurs coach Gregg Popovich as its coach instead of Duke's Mike Krzyzewski, Duncan doubts he would have been willing to commit.

Remember us? Popovich joked about how honored he was to participate in the NBA's annual Christmas Day broadcast.

"I'm not only thrilled, it's a huge responsibility to play the JV game," Popovich said. "We know we have to do a good job so people stay around for the varsity game."

The Spurs and Pistons were both amused at how little ABC promoted their game — even though they had the league's two best records and played in the NBA Finals last season — compared to its later broadcast of the Los Angeles Lakers and Miami Heat.

Briefly: The Spurs' previous low for points in an opening quarter was nine set on April 9, 1994, against Houston. Their first-half total of 30 was two more than the franchise low. ... Pistons fans started booing Eva Longoria when she was shown on the overhead scoreboard. She answered them by holding up Tony Parker's championship ring. ... One heckler behind the Spurs' bench repeatedly pleaded for Popovich to put Beno Udrih on the floor. Udrih's struggles in last season's NBA Finals helped contribute to the Spurs' losses in Games 3 and 4.

T Park
12-26-2005, 02:22 AM
One heckler behind the Spurs' bench repeatedly pleaded for Popovich to put Beno Udrih on the floor. Udrih's struggles in last season's NBA Finals helped contribute to the Spurs' losses in Games 3 and 4.

:rollin

Pistons fans started booing Eva Longoria when she was shown on the overhead scoreboard. She answered them by holding up Tony Parker's championship ring

haha

way to come back at em Eva.

Kori Ellis
12-26-2005, 02:23 AM
:rollin

haha

way to come back at em Eva.

It wasn't Tony's ring, it was her pendant. But same effect.

T Park
12-26-2005, 02:25 AM
Yeah I know....

She showed it on TV Too.

She and Mr Parker looked good...

Still had that akward sitting together look, like they had last year in the playoffs vs Phoenix.

SouthernFried
12-26-2005, 04:27 AM
The Heat/Lakers game was much better.

Slomo
12-26-2005, 05:11 AM
Pistons fans started booing Eva Longoria when she was shown on the overhead scoreboard. She answered them by holding up Tony Parker's championship ring.
I like Eva even more now :lol I mean this is something a fan would do and not a holywood celebrity :tu

alamo50
12-26-2005, 07:04 AM
It wasn't Tony's ring, it was her pendant. But same effect.

Pretty risky to flash jewelry around over there.

TDMVPDPOY
12-26-2005, 07:04 AM
is that tonys ring or the charity ring she won?

THE X-FACTOR
12-26-2005, 08:21 AM
Pretty risky to flash jewelry around over there.

Why? She was sitting in an arena in one of the wealthiest counties in all of the US? Unless you meant it was risky because the Pistons do not need any added motivation to take the championship back from the Spurs, if you meant that then it was okay. As a Pistons fan I rather have Evans, he plays hard no matter how many minutes he is getting.

TDMVPDPOY
12-26-2005, 09:47 AM
rings? what rings? pistons only want their belts back. And im pretty sure bowen left his blackbelt at home or else he wouldve give sumone a beating

THE X-FACTOR
12-26-2005, 09:56 AM
rings? what rings? pistons only want their belts back. And im pretty sure bowen left his blackbelt at home or else he wouldve give sumone a beating

hahha he is dirty like that isn't he?

pjjrfan
12-26-2005, 10:41 AM
I guess Rasheed's forearm to Duncan when he was down on the floor exemplifies clean Piston's basketball.

THE X-FACTOR
12-26-2005, 10:45 AM
I guess Rasheed's forearm to Duncan when he was down on the floor exemplifies clean Piston's basketball.

:rolleyes he was going for a loose ball, something the Spurs didn't know how to do yesterday....

theMUHMEshow
12-26-2005, 11:12 AM

2005-2006

Pistons 1
Spurs 0 :fro

FreshPrince22
12-26-2005, 11:20 AM

I know it's illegal to sneeze on Duncan and all, but that wasn't even a foul. Any contact was incidental. It's a loose ball, and both players had the right to go after it.
________
GROUP LIVE (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/straight-couples/)

G-Nob
12-26-2005, 11:38 AM
Deeetroit Ovvverated!!!!!!!!!!

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-26-2005, 11:59 AM
2005-2006

Pistons 1
Spurs 0

NBA Finals
Spurs 1
Pistons 0

Go home loser.