PDA

View Full Version : Rangers agree to deal with Millwood

Solid D
12-27-2005, 01:54 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2271734

Updated: Dec. 26, 2005, 8:18 PM ET
Rangers agree to deal with Millwood - ESPN.com news services

Kevin Millwood and the Texas Rangers have reached a preliminary agreement on a four-year contract worth nearly $48 million, according to a person familiar with the negotiations, ESPN's Peter Gammons reported Monday night.

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/images/2005/12/05/3EgYMLnd.jpg
Kevin Millwood led the American League
with a 2.86 ERA last season. (Orlin Wagner/AP)

2005 SEASON STATISTICS
GM W L BB K ERA
30 9 11 52 146 2.86

Gammons reported that the deal includes a Rangers team option for a fifth year. If the contract goes five years, it would then be worth $60 million. Texas can void the fifth year of the deal if Millwood doesn't pitch a certain number of innings in earlier years of the contract.

Millwood is expected to undergo a physical Tuesday, and the deal likely will be finalized Wednesday.

Details of the deal were disclosed by two people familiar with negotiations who spoke on condition of anonymity because the contract had not been finalized. Millwood's decision to accept Texas' offer was first reported by the Fort Worth Star-Telegram on its Web site.

Millwood had a 2.86 ERA to lead the American League last season, his only season for Cleveland. The right-hander, who turned 31 Saturday, rejected a salary arbitration offer from the Indians.

Millwood, who also was sought by Boston, will be the No. 1 starter in a revamped Texas rotation, already bolstered by two trades this month. The Rangers got former All-Star right-hander Vicente Padilla from Philadelphia and acquired Adam Eaton from San Diego.

In nine major league seasons, Millwood is 107-75 with a 3.76 ERA. He won at least 17 games in three of his six seasons with Atlanta (1997-2002) and was an All-Star in 1999. He pitched two seasons for Philadelphia before going to Cleveland last year.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Solid D
12-27-2005, 01:56 AM
Now that takes the sting off trading Chris Young. :tu

Horry For 3!
12-27-2005, 04:05 AM
Now that takes the sting off trading Chris Young. :tu
Yeah. Kevin Millwood easily > Chris Young

Solid D
12-27-2005, 05:11 PM
I really like Chris Young and I think he has huge upside if he stays healthy (always a big IF with any young pitcher).

Chris was going to be the Rangers #1 starter and I didn't think Eaton, coming from pitcher-friendly Petco, would bring equal results to Ameriquest.

Millwood potentially changes everything.

Horry For 3!
12-27-2005, 05:14 PM
I really like Chris Young and I think he has huge upside if he stays healthy (always a big IF with any young pitcher).

Chris was going to be the Rangers #1 starter and I didn't think Eaton, coming from pitcher-friendly Petco, would bring equal results to Ameriquest.

Millwood potentially changes everything.
Yeah. Rangers will actually have pitching next year.

N.Y. Johnny
12-27-2005, 10:08 PM
Boston was hot for him.

good they won't get him.

:spin

atlfan25
01-02-2006, 05:38 AM
Hopefully for the Rangers he will work out as an ace.

I see him as a 2 possibly 3 type starter.

Boston was hot for him.

good they won't get him.

Shiiit, they got Beckett. I don't think they will miss out on Millwood and the large contract they would have had to give him.

T Park
01-04-2006, 01:42 AM
5 years 60 million???

Are the Rangers nuts!?!?

Silver21_Black20
01-04-2006, 03:52 AM
5 years 60 million???

Are the Rangers nuts!?!?

:wow

Solid D
01-05-2006, 10:54 AM
Later reports said Millwood's contract is for between $11 million and $12 million per season for 4 years. The contract calls for a vesting option for a fifth year based on performance criteria.

The ideal situation is to develop pitching like Atlanta (or Oakland of recent years). Texas is doing a better job of this the past few years, but they have a long way to go yet.

Millwood is a calculated risk, but at least Texas (Hicks and young John Daniels) is trying to make pitching a higher priority.