PDA

View Full Version : SI's Media Personality of the Year

tlongII
12-27-2005, 03:59 PM
Personality of the Year: Colin Cowherd, ESPN Radio

In a year when satellite radio and sports consumers truly converged -- XM Satellite Radio doubled its base to more than five million subscribers following its $650 million deal with major league baseball; SIRIUS reached the three million mark behind the NFL (and Howard Stern) -- Cowherd emerged above the din as a voice who deserves praise. His show (The Herd) is an engaging mix of entertainment, information, and reportage. Its signature feature (Spanning the Globe, during which Cowherd checks in with local reporters and beat writers the morning after a big story breaks in their community) is one of the best things in sports radio. Much of ESPN Radio, especially the Mike and Mike Show and The Dan Patrick Show, treats its listeners like adults -- and Cowherd has distinguished himself by refusing to rely on angry ranting and the sexual innuendo that so often permeates local radio.

Cowherd was recruited out of Portland market two years ago to replace Tony Kornheiser, a particularly difficult assignment given Kornheiser's appeal among East Coast intelligentsia types. He approached his national gig with a small city feel -- college football gets a lot of play on the show -- which has made him an interesting listen. While Cowherd has provided a national forum for ESPN's TV analysts to pontificate on all things ESPN, he's also proven to be his own man. He was outspoken following the arrest of ESPN analyst Michael Irvin, casting a disbelieving soliloquy on Irvin's Rashomon-like explanation following his arrest. That's not easy for an ESPN employee to do (which is why it rarely happens) and it resonates with listeners.

ShoogarBear
12-27-2005, 04:48 PM
The guy bored the shit out of me for the brief time he was on in DC. Thank God they put Kornheiser back on there.

Guru of Nothing
12-27-2005, 05:04 PM
I assumed this was a T.O. thread before I opened it.

Regarding the Mike and Mike reference, :vomit , especially Mike Greenberg. Consider listening to Mike Greenberg's opinion on everything my response to Rasho Free-Throw FT Shooting video in the torture thread.

tlongII
12-27-2005, 05:13 PM
The guy bored the shit out of me for the brief time he was on in DC. Thank God they put Kornheiser back on there.

I think Cowherd is great...of course he is from Portland. Kornheiser sucks imo.

Vashner
12-27-2005, 07:02 PM
Of Course Jim Rome get's snubbed...

I think he did great coverage of Spurs Championship too.. no soft talk.. calling Bowens cell etc.

ShoogarBear
12-27-2005, 07:31 PM
Regarding the Mike and Mike reference, :vomit , especially Mike Greenberg. Consider listening to Mike Greenberg's opinion on everything my response to Rasho Free-Throw FT Shooting video in the torture thread.
Greenberg is a complete baseball shill. He'd rather spend half his show during the middle of the winter talking about the Hot Stove League than last night's NBA games. The fact that they bring in Dick Vitale to talk about the NBA tells you everything you need to know about how seriously they take pro basketball.

I can't stand Dan Patrick and his smarmier-than-thou attitude, either. He's the Dennis Miller of sportscasters (if you can remember when Miller was a comedian).

12-27-2005, 08:34 PM
Steve Czaban and the "First Team on Fox" is much better than Cowherd.

N.Y. Johnny
12-27-2005, 09:46 PM
I like Ferrall on Fox, fuck i had no idea he was on there untill I heard him a while back at night, I loved him when he was on WNEW in New York back in 2002.

ESPN i really don't like anyone on there anymore. Cowherd alot of people like, but I've really never gotten into his program.
I like Bruno on Sporting News Radio.