View Full Version : iverson lets the people who said no have it

ducks
08-29-2004, 05:12 PM
Iverson rips Athens no-shows

Guard says NBA stars should considerchance to represent U.S. an honor
By Barry Svrluga
The Washington Post
Updated: 3:01 a.m. ET Aug. 29, 2004

ATHENS - Guard Allen Iverson of the Philadelphia 76ers launched some not-so-subtle criticisms of other NBA players who chose not to compete in the Olympics.

Speaking after the U.S. men's basketball team's 89-81 semifinal loss to Argentina on Friday, Iverson said he felt honored to be chosen to participate and couldn't understand why others didn't feel the same way.

"Any person that's selected to a team like this, it shouldn't be a question in your mind," Iverson said. "It shouldn't even be something to think about. You're honored to get a chance to represent your country, and what's better than that?"

Iverson was one of just three holdovers on the U.S. team who participated in a qualifying tournament last summer just for the right to reach the Olympics. Immensely disappointed when he wasn't selected for the 2000 Olympics, he has since watched 14 players turn down the offer to play here, some because of injury, others for personal reasons, and some for fears about security in Greece.

Iverson, who didn't name names, said NBA players should be more grateful to the game that makes nearly all of them millionaires.

"Anybody that grew up in the U.S. and is able to be a basketball player in the NBA, you understand what that country has done for you and your family," Iverson said. "It gave you an opportunity to support your family and be recognized as a household name. I mean, it's just an honor to be able to do something like that, and I would advise anybody that's selected to a team like this to take that honor and cherish it."

Before the game, NBA Commissioner David Stern pleaded with reporters to stop talking about the players who didn't come to the Olympics, even though the list included such stars as Shaquille O'Neal, Tracy McGrady, Kobe Bryant, Karl Malone, Jason Kidd, Ray Allen, and Mike Bibby.

"This is not about saying some players should have been here or not," Stern said.

Stern went on to say that this team was "great," and that any of the 30 NBA teams would trade its roster for this one.

"We have a great, great team here," Stern said. "I shouldn't say that. We have 12 great basketball players."

By Iverson's evaluation, the United States should have had greater basketball players, if only some of those great players had taken advantage of the opportunity.

"You need to understand that first and foremost, it's an honor to be selected to this team," he said. "It's something you should cherish for the rest of your life. And honestly, it's something that I will cherish, even without winning the gold medal. I feel good about being part of something like this. I feel like a special basketball player to be selected to a team like this."

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5851082/ (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5851082/)

IcemanCometh
08-29-2004, 05:13 PM
http://www.notworksafe.com/stallowned.jpg

T Park Num 9
08-29-2004, 05:53 PM
Good to see Iverson has respect for his country.

Good to see he knows that his bread is buttered and hes made his name in the US, and that he should play for his country.

Good to see it.

ducks
08-29-2004, 06:06 PM
Stern went on to say that this team was "great," and that any of the 30 NBA teams would trade its roster for this one.

spurs could do that but I would want them to trade a few of them for other players
trade for outside shooter
and trade a player for a no shooting point guard

IcemanCometh
08-29-2004, 06:32 PM
i would trade every player on the spurs for the us team. and twice for duncan.

xcoriate
08-29-2004, 09:41 PM
Man if Iverson keeps coming out with these quotes, I'm gonna have to respect him a lot more.

E20
08-30-2004, 01:05 AM
Stallowend LMAO. Iverson is turning into a class player with his comments, he should get more respect now.

IcemanCometh
08-30-2004, 02:35 AM
Iversons always been like this, not his fault you people choose to ignore that.

Spursman
08-30-2004, 10:18 AM
Iverson's nickname is Jack. Do you know why? Because the dude does nothing but Jack up shots and he can't hit a damn thing. He DOES NOT have a good FG%. He gets his points beacuse he does nothing but shoot. What he says has nothing to do with the player he is. I may respect what he says, but not necessarily how he plays, although I will admit that he is a tough SOB.

Jimcs50
08-30-2004, 11:50 AM
Iversons always been like this, not his fault you people choose to ignore that.

We are talking bout practice man....practice.I know it is important and all that, but it's practice, that is what we are talking about, practice.:p

LakerLanny1
09-01-2004, 12:35 AM
If he could make a shot or guard someone the outcome may have been different.

Well, that and if Duncan had Joey Crawford, Bennett Salvatore and the rest of the Circle of 7 on hand for his 10 phantom touch fouls in his favor like in the NBA.

Face the facts, without Kobe, Diesel and Garnett....the USA team is minus serious star power. Not to mention, not one guy on this year's team could consistently make a wide open 18 foot J. Not good.

Kobe or Bust in 2008 for the USA. Duncan should be deported back to the Virgin Islands after that pathetic performance.

SequSpur
09-01-2004, 01:02 AM
Kobe is a rapist.

E20
09-01-2004, 01:35 AM
Kobe would never get an invite to the NT because of his law suit.