PDA

View Full Version : Talk starting on Ginobili's role with Spurs

TMTTRIO
12-29-2005, 01:21 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA122905.1C.BKNspurs.ginobili.17a0d37f.html

Talk starting on Ginobili's role with Spurs

Web Posted: 12/29/2005 12:00 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

With Manu Ginobili having survived his first game in more than two weeks, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich quickly turned his attention Wednesday to making sure his All-Star guard also survived practice.

As the Spurs began their brief workout, Popovich gave Ginobili some instructions: If you have a shot, shoot it. But don't even think about driving to the rim.

"No one needed to tell me that," Ginobili said.

Ginobili hasn't forgotten what happened the last time he practiced with his teammates. After getting tangled with Bruce Bowen during a seemingly innocent drill, he sprained his right foot — an injury that sidelined him for eight games.

Popovich said he would use Ginobili off the bench for the foreseeable future, slightly increasing his minutes each game. Bringing Ginobili back slowly also gives Popovich time to evaluate whether the Spurs would be better served keeping him as a reserve and continuing to start Michael Finley.

"I honestly don't know how it's going to end up," Popovich said.

The Spurs went 5-3 during Ginobili's most recent absence and are 8-3 overall when Finley starts. Although the Spurs — who host the Hornets tonight at 7:30 at the SBC Center — missed Ginobili's defense in a couple of games, Popovich said he would feel more pressure to start Ginobili if he weren't comfortable with Finley's play.

"But Finley's playing well enough, and that group is playing well enough," Popovich said, "where I can afford to bring (Ginobili) off the bench and get him back in shape without giving him 34 minutes."

Finley has shot 43.8 percent from the field and 41.0 percent from the 3-point line in the 11 games he's started compared to 37.3 percent and 28.6 percent in the 13 games he's come off the bench. Still, he said he's prepared to play either role.

"To be quite honest," Finley said, "whatever (Ginobili) feels more comfortable with, I'm willing to do."

A starter most of his career, Finley was told he would come off the bench when he signed with the Spurs. The opportunity to start during Ginobili's absence has helped him settle into a rhythm more easily and become more comfortable playing with Tim Duncan and Tony Parker.

He's hopeful that would ease his transition if he eventually returns to the bench.

"As a reserve you have to get into that flow and try to find the flow of the game," Finley said. "You find yourself trying to make more of an immediate impact when you come off the bench. Where as a starter, the game just seems to come to you a lot easier."

The Spurs have struggled to find someone besides Ginobili to provide energy and scoring off the bench. Hedo Turkoglu never seemed confident as a reserve two seasons ago, so Popovich moved him into the starting lineup in place of Ginobili. Devin Brown looked capable of taking over that role last season before injuring his back.

After the Spurs lost their playoff opener to Denver, Popovich decided his reserve unit needed a jolt. So he brought Ginobili off the bench for the rest of the series and started Brent Barry.

"Sometimes the team needs a spark from the bench, but I think I've been providing it from the start, too," Ginobili said. "That's just the way I play."

Ginobili is more concerned now with building back his minutes, as well as his confidence. He cited the four free throws he missed Tuesday as evidence he needs time to find his rhythm.

After checking into the game midway through the first quarter, Ginobili looked to pass the first two times he touched the ball. He became more assertive in the second half, attacking as he usually does.

He still doesn't have complete flexibility in his right foot when he pushes off — "it's not pain," he said, "just a little limitation" — but said that should change the more he plays. The time off also allowed the bone bruise on his right ankle — a separate injury he suffered last month — as well as his bruised quadriceps time to heal.

"Right now I'm not ready to play 30 minutes," Ginobili said. "But once I feel better and forget about (his foot), I'll go back to playing the way I always play."

Starting or not.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

MasterYoda
12-29-2005, 01:29 AM
Finish the games, #20 will. Most important, this is.

But now, upgrade the starting lineup, Greg must.

E20
12-29-2005, 01:41 AM
Is Master Yoda mouse?

If he is, long time no talk. :lol

TDMVPDPOY
12-29-2005, 02:02 AM
Seriously we need sumone who can score of the bench, and finley is not the answer. Put finley in the starting lineup and bench gino givin gino more minutes in the game, oh yeh play him along with barry, cause barry tends to feed him the ball alot unlike that ballhog parker.

ducks
12-29-2005, 08:51 AM
Popovich said he would use Ginobili off the bench for the foreseeable future, slightly increasing his minutes each game. Bringing Ginobili back slowly also gives Popovich time to evaluate whether the Spurs would be better served keeping him as a reserve and continuing to start Michael Finley.

"I honestly don't know how it's going to end up," Popovich said.

ALVAREZ6
12-29-2005, 10:21 AM
You can tell right now that Finley is going to end up the starter. Pop always uses this type of shit to make it seem like he really doesn't know.

FromWayDowntown
12-29-2005, 12:02 PM
It's obvious to me that Pop just hates Manu and Argentina and is trying very hard to keep Manu from reaching his full potential.

:rolleyes

Oh, Gee!!
12-29-2005, 12:04 PM
and TP is jealous of Manu. That's why he never passes to Manu when he's open.

pache100
12-29-2005, 12:06 PM
and TP is jealous of Manu. That's why he never passes to Manu when he's open.

WTF????

(I hope that was just meant to be funny)

bdubya
12-29-2005, 12:55 PM
" After getting tangled with Bruce Bowen during a seemingly innocent drill, he sprained his right foot — an injury that sidelined him for eight games."

Wow.....I always thought the talk about Bowen playing dirty was BS, but I might have to reconsider.

;)

50 cent
12-29-2005, 01:13 PM
I think we are better with Manu coming off the bench. Somehow, he is the only player that can not start and still play like a starter.

I say let Finley start and bring Manu off the bench for the rest of the season (Manu still gets more minutes though).

Cant_Be_Faded
12-29-2005, 01:40 PM
You can tell right now that Finley is going to end up the starter. Pop always uses this type of shit to make it seem like he really doesn't know.

:lol

ALVAREZ6
12-29-2005, 04:37 PM
(I hope that was just meant to be funny)
Nope. It's true. :)

pache100
12-29-2005, 04:38 PM

No, it's not true. I'm sad for you that you believe it, though. You're young to be so cynical.

smdanss
12-29-2005, 04:56 PM
" After getting tangled with Bruce Bowen during a seemingly innocent drill, he sprained his right foot — an injury that sidelined him for eight games."

Wow.....I always thought the talk about Bowen playing dirty was BS, but I might have to reconsider.

;)
You need to tell Sheed don't put his foot under others. :elephant

E20
12-29-2005, 04:58 PM
I'd like to see some stats of Manu coming off the bench and Manu starting.

pjjrfan
12-29-2005, 04:59 PM
[QUOTE=50 cent]I think we are better with Manu coming off the bench. Somehow, he is the only player that can not start and still play like a starter.

I say let Finley start and bring Manu off the bench for the rest of the season (Manu still gets more minutes though).[/QUOT

I hate to admit it, but damn, it's looking like it's going to be another year where the team needs Manu to come off the bench and bail them out. And I don't really blame Finley, I'm more pissed at Barry and his weak ass play. What happened to the guy who was so clutch in the playoffs? Especially the conf. finals and the finals.

Sportman
12-29-2005, 05:18 PM
If spurs wants another tittle, pop should know that manu can´t come off the bench. During the playoffs against denver last years, pop realised manu couldn´t come off the bench and in this way spurs got what they were seeking, THE CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!!!!!

weebo
12-29-2005, 05:34 PM
Our bench needs the help and Manu needs less minutes during the regular season.

Oh, Gee!!
12-29-2005, 05:36 PM
Maybe Bowen needs to stop breaking Manu's ankles

drivanroca
12-29-2005, 06:54 PM
Maybe Bowen needs to stop breaking Manu's ankles
:spin :tu

ducks
12-29-2005, 07:13 PM

you should be happy if manu comes off the bench because then manu would be the go to guy on the second team
and tp and duncan would be on the bench

ALVAREZ6
12-29-2005, 07:22 PM
No, it's not true. I'm sad for you that you believe it, though. You're young to be so cynical.
I was joking, hence the emoticon, :idiot

Dre_7
12-29-2005, 07:30 PM
During the playoffs against denver last years, pop realised manu couldn´t come off the bench and in this way spurs got what they were seeking, THE CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!!!!!

What?

You got it backward. Pop moved Manu to the bench against Denver, and it worked.

boutons_
12-29-2005, 07:39 PM
Poor Manu, a great ballplayer, but too fragile over 3 NBA years to get through 82 games without injury.

The Spurs problem is that the other two shoooting guards, Brent and Michael, can't fucking shoot. Both are shooting 40% FG%, while the team is at 48%.

Tek_XX
12-29-2005, 07:53 PM
What happened the last time we tried this for a year, oh right we went out in the conference semifinals. Keep Manu the starter!!!

Dre_7
12-29-2005, 08:02 PM
I dont care what happens with Manu and Fin during the regular season, as long as Manu is healthy enough to be the starting two guard come playoff time. That is the only thing that matters.

Rummpd
12-29-2005, 11:05 PM
30+ points and very efficient out of these two - I don't care how they divy it up = it is all good.

orhe
12-29-2005, 11:39 PM
during hedo's amazing one year w/ the spurs Pop was saying the one who starts rest on the matchup of each game... well manu came off the bench the rest of the year...

wildbill2u
12-30-2005, 10:18 AM

;)

Yeah, but I think there was a more sinister reason Bowen took Manu out. He's jealous of all the Manu hype--and besides, he knew if Manu went down with an injjury that Finley would have to start at guard in Manu's place, thus keeping Bowen's minutes secure.

It was a twofer for the crafty Bowen.

1Parker1
12-30-2005, 10:43 AM
I want Manu back, any way we can get him. The reason he would be coming of the bench is not to "provide a spark" like he did in the past, because I honestly think between Finley and NVE, Spurs have that to an extent. I think Pop would want to bring him back off the bench to slowly ease up his minutes. The season is only about 30 games old, and Manu has already missed significant time due to three injuries! Putting him back in the starting lineup may re-aggrevate his injuries or increase his chance of new injuries!

boutons_
12-30-2005, 11:44 AM
If Manu wants to start, keep him happy, start him.

If Manu REALLY doesn't care about starting, then do whatever Pop wants.

Manu, or anybody, could play 5 minutes/game and still get hurt.

Manu held up well all last season with 30 MPG, and had plenty of energy for a near-MVP contribution in the Finals.

Expect that Tim, Tony, and Manu will all miss more games to injury/fatigue, causing the Spurs to lose games to injuries, so the bigger worry is how the lackadaisical Spurs will make up more than 4L against the mission-focused Pistons, who have the luxury have playing most of their games in the much softer EC.

Sportman
12-30-2005, 12:23 PM
What happened the last time we tried this for a year, oh right we went out in the conference semifinals. Keep Manu the starter!!!

That´s what i was talking about

easjer
12-30-2005, 12:37 PM
Bring him off mthe bench if it produces better numbers for Finley or even Barry. We already know that Manu will get his minutes and we know that he can produce in those minutes. But if his coming off the bench means that Finley performs at a higher level and scores more points, then it's dumb to let ego dictate this.

And it seems like ego is what it comes down to - Manu will get his minutes and nobody doubts his value to the team. He is not replaceable. But if he's seriously going to kick up a fuss over who gets to be on the court at tip off, knowing he gets his minutes regardless, then I lose respect. Whatever you may say about Rasho, like or dislike, the guy has never complained about being benched or losing minutes - he's only worked harder to regain them.

Dartherus
12-30-2005, 12:41 PM
Bring him off mthe bench if it produces better numbers for Finley or even Barry. We already know that Manu will get his minutes and we know that he can produce in those minutes. But if his coming off the bench means that Finley performs at a higher level and scores more points, then it's dumb to let ego dictate this.

And it seems like ego is what it comes down to - Manu will get his minutes and nobody doubts his value to the team. He is not replaceable. But if he's seriously going to kick up a fuss over who gets to be on the court at tip off, knowing he gets his minutes regardless, then I lose respect. Whatever you may say about Rasho, like or dislike, the guy has never complained about being benched or losing minutes - he's only worked harder to regain them.
The problem of starting from the bench is not just the fancy 'starter' label, it's also a problem of optimization of minutes, a starter can have more minutes playing with better distribution of the minutes beeing benched for having a rest, so he can play the most minutes possible with enough stamina...hope to have explained well.

Tha'ts why the best players are starters, because teams need their contribution the most minutes they can, and that's a very logical reason of why Manu will be a starter as soon as he's fully recovered from injuries.

doldrums
12-30-2005, 12:41 PM

Noone has suggested that he complained.

easjer
12-30-2005, 12:52 PM
No, that's an inference I picked up in comments made. It's also what I see as being the real impediment here, and why my comments were addressed to that subject.

easjer
12-30-2005, 12:55 PM
The problem of starting from the bench is not just the fancy 'starter' label, it's also a problem of optimization of minutes, a starter can have more minutes playing with better distribution of the minutes beeing benched for having a rest, so he can play the most minutes possible with enough stamina...hope to have explained well.

Yes, you explained well. Fair enough. But I think it worked out just fine with Barry last season, and I think the fact that it's going to happen at least short term during the recovery process will give everyone a good chance to see if it will work or not.

I guess part of my issue is the assumption that not starting is some sort of punishment, when it seems pretty clear to me that it's a matter of optimizing your resources.

ducks
12-30-2005, 03:19 PM
if manu is not happy doing what pop wants to do you either trade him or the coach

Athenea
12-30-2005, 04:28 PM
if manu is not happy doing what pop wants to do you either trade him or the coach
STFU already Ducks. U have me till here *points sky* jumping in every time to diss Manu.

Sportman
12-30-2005, 05:35 PM
But if his coming off the bench means that Finley performs at a higher level and scores more points, then it's dumb to let ego dictate this.

But.....who can you assure it??.......and what will happen if pop realise that manu shouln´t have been on bench??.

sanman53
12-30-2005, 05:51 PM
The team trusts Pop to do what is right, and so do I. Pop is da man!!!

ducks
12-30-2005, 09:34 PM
STFU already Ducks. U have me till here *points sky* jumping in every time to diss Manu.

dude I would say that about any spur player including tim duncan

Obstructed_View
12-31-2005, 01:11 AM
If Fin plays better when he starts, and Manu plays the same whether he comes off the bench or not, what's the difference?

smeagol
01-01-2006, 10:18 PM
Man, I go for week's vacation, come back and you are still bashing Manu on a regular basis.

You are sad.

spurschick
01-01-2006, 10:53 PM
Damn Smeagol... I am intimidated by your vbookie cash. Maybe both Manu and Finley should come off the bench and you should start. :lol

smeagol
01-01-2006, 11:12 PM
Damn Smeagol... I am intimidated by your vbookie cash. Maybe both Manu and Finley should come off the bench and you should start. :lol
lol

Dre_7
01-02-2006, 11:55 PM
If Fin plays better when he starts, and Manu plays the same whether he comes off the bench or not, what's the difference?

Word!

manubili
01-03-2006, 10:06 AM
If I were Pop, I would bench Manu until the playoffs, yeah. It worked last time. And now spurs have a much better alternative in Fin, than Barry.

But I'm not Pop. I'm a Manu fan with no responsabilities, so I want him to start and play 40 minutes each game, not get injured, score 30 pts, being mvp of NBA and World Championship. That's ahat Manu wants, after all.

NyKco
01-03-2006, 10:10 AM
Manu is a all star!!

35 Min , 18pts , 4reb , 4asis Pp/G

Sportman
01-03-2006, 10:59 AM
Pop is going to trade Manu for Artest.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol