View Full Version : Pop's Jersey Retirement Friday

Kori Ellis
12-29-2005, 04:04 AM
Popovich the Spur of the moment

Merrillville grad returning home to have jersey retired

BY AL HAMNIK
[email protected]

This story ran on nwitimes.com on Thursday, December 29, 2005 12:28 AM CST

http://www.thetimesonline.com/articles/2005/12/29/sports/top_sports/4fd856975ad1396a862570e600009c52.txt

MERRILLVILLE | Amy Beckham couldn't believe it.

Gregg Popovich, a 1966 Merrillville grad and coach of the three-time NBA champion San Antonio Spurs, had given her a "yes" without the slightest hesitation.

"He's just such a down-to-earth gentleman. It's hard to believe, when you talk to him, that he has the job that he has," said Beckham, the Pirates' assistant athletic director. "He hasn't forgotten where he's come from.

"He's the most humble person I've ever met. I don't think I've ever met somebody who doesn't like to speak about himself more than he does."

Popovich will have his No. 21 basketball jersey retired during halftime of Friday's Crown Point-Merrillville game and had agreed to appear in person when first contacted by the athletic department last summer.

He'll join Merrillville football standouts Jamel Williams and Eugene Wilson as the others who've had their jersey numbers retired.

"As a fan, it's always neat to see things like that," said Beckham. "I'd attend the game, wherever it was."

Helping make it a night to remember will be Popovich teammates Wayne Svetanoff, Jerry Fox, Rick Joliff, Mike Lester, John Morton, Arlie Pierce, Bill Schmidt and Perry VanRosendale. Former coaches will include Jim Vermillion, Max Hutchinson, Tom Feeney, Lafey Armontrout and then-principal Jim Bovard.

Morton is flying in from Florida. Pierce was best man at Pop's wedding.

"His teammates always have a lot to say. They'll give him an earful, I'm sure," Beckham said with a laugh.

The fifth-winningest coach in NBA history, Popovich has led San Antonio to NBA titles in 1999, 2003 and 2005, served as Larry Brown's assistant in the 2004 Olympic Games, coached in the 2005 NBA All-Star Game, and is the Spurs' all-time leader in regular season and playoff wins.

Going into Wednesday's game, Detroit had the league's best record at 23-3. Next were the Spurs at 22-7.

As for Friday's festivities: "Oh, God. It's embarrassing," said Pop. "Maybe it'll snow and I can't get on a plane."

That could really mess up an already exhausting schedule. The Spurs host New Orleans tonight. Popovich will fly out early Friday, then leave Merrillville before the sun's up on Saturday for his team's game in Denver.

"I'm appearing at halftime of a basketball game. If you think about the reality of the situation, 99 percent of the people there don't know who the hell I am -- they know the Spurs -- so the last thing they want is a 10-minute speech from somebody while they're running around, getting hot dogs," said Popovich.

"It's not like it's a banquet room and I'm talking to a group. They're fans running around like crazy, so I don't think anything too heavy or too long would be appropriate."

That's Pop for ya.

"I'm from Northwest Indiana. That's the bottom line," he said. "That's where I grew up. That's what's in my bones. I don't need anything else.

"I don't think anybody there is all that impressed with themselves. They just do what they're supposed to do."

Kori Ellis
12-29-2005, 04:09 AM
Gregg Popovich itinerary
* When: Friday
* What: Crown Point at Merrillville boys basketball.
* Schedule: From 6:45 to 7:15 p.m. in the athletic hallway, Popovich will autograph pictures sent from the San Antonio Spurs. At 7:15, Popovich will join his former high school teammates and coaches in a reserved corner section of the gym to watch the varsity game. At halftime, Popovich will be introduced and have his jersey No. 21 retired. A Tim Duncan jersey also will be raffled off.
* Popovich postgame reception: To be held at Turkey Creek Banquet on the Green. Tickets are $10. Cash bar.

Solid D
12-29-2005, 06:48 AM
Just East of Chicago, IL and a few miles south of Gary, IN

Merrillville (http://mq-mapgend.websys.aol.com/?e=9&GetMapDirect=Gme5diw%2ca%3a9u12%3b%40%2459%2drg1z7 2%26%3dya%21abl567%3ah%2dbg5ryg%26z%40nd0ta0%40b25 0tx1%402n56%2an%26u72u%2c%24xuzr%3a%26%40%24%3aqu% 40550t2u%40%5fg0%2dbx1r72%26%40%24nq67%261%2c%2400 62%3a%26)

Solid D
12-29-2005, 07:19 AM
I expect to see one of these with "Pop" on it... once his work is done in SA.

http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/elliott_jersey_050307.jpg

SequSpur
12-29-2005, 07:54 AM
Is this a slovenian joke or something?

Solid D
12-29-2005, 08:34 AM
Read the article next time, then ask your question. :smokin

Taco
12-29-2005, 08:37 AM
Popovich will have his No. 21 basketball jersey retired during halftime of Friday's Crown Point-Merrillville game and had agreed to appear in person when first contacted by the athletic department last summer.

21 LIKE TIMMY

Summers
12-29-2005, 10:20 AM
21 LIKE TIMMY

How cool is that?

That's awesome! Congrats Pop!

Das Texan
12-29-2005, 10:44 AM
Congrats Coach Popovich!!!!!

Sportman
12-29-2005, 11:08 AM
I think pop already deserved it, because without a doubt he has been the best coach spurs could ever have had, besides he seems to be a real good person.

Oh, Gee!!
12-29-2005, 11:18 AM
Is this a slovenian joke or something?

no, but you are.

ShoogarBear
12-29-2005, 01:55 PM
So is he getting his jersey retired because of what he did in high school or because of what he's doing now?

Kori Ellis
12-29-2005, 01:57 PM
So is he getting his jersey retired because of what he did in high school or because of what he's doing now?

Both.

Kori Ellis
12-29-2005, 01:58 PM
Interesting stuff (yes, I know it's been posted before).

To those who knew Popovich when he was growing up, few, if any, expected him to become a head coach in the NBA. John Shipley, a teammate at Merrillville, thought Popovich had a different calling.

"When we were in high school, I always thought he was going to be a medical doctor," Shipley told the Decatur (Tenn.) Daily. "He was brilliant. And, in fact, being a doctor is what he wanted to do. But he loved basketball, too. He had a passion for it.

"When it came to basketball, he was so aggressive. He wasn't like that off the court. But on the court, if you were in his way, he was going to the basket."

Rummpd
12-29-2005, 02:08 PM
Per Shipley's comments = I am medical doctor and believe me even though I love my profession would give it up in a heartbeat to be a NBA coach.

Props to a great head coach who is just starting to get the recognition he deserves (not that he seems to want much - part of his greatness!)

Vashner
12-29-2005, 02:36 PM
Gratz pop!