PDA

View Full Version : Road Rage by man with family in car kills 2

Solid D
12-29-2005, 08:46 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/122905dntexroadrage.22fc77d2.html

Interstate 20 crash kills Dallas woman, daughter
Fort Worth man held in 'classic case of road rage'

09:47 PM CST on Wednesday, December 28, 2005
Associated Press

TYLER – A woman and her teenage daughter were killed Wednesday in a crash sparked by what a state trooper called “a classic case of road rage.”

Jason Youngblood, 32, of Fort Worth was arrested after the Wednesday afternoon accident, which also left the woman's 17-year-old son in critical condition at a Tyler hospital.

“From all the eyewitness statements and from the suspect's own admission, this was nothing more than road rage,” Department of Public Safety Trooper Jason Matura said in Thursday editions of the Tyler Morning Telegraph.

Youngblood was in the Van Zandt County Jail in Canton on Wednesday night, charged with two counts of criminally negligent homicide and three counts of failure to stop and render aid, a jail spokesman told The Associated Press. Jail records did not show if he had retained an attorney.

The vehicles were traveling east on Interstate 20 about eight miles west of Canton.

Youngblood, driving a Chevrolet minivan containing his wife and four children, became agitated when he could not pass the other vehicle and started tailgating, Matura said. He pulled up on the right of the car, a Toyota Camry.

“The story is complicated here, but eyewitnesses said Youngblood was looking at the other vehicle and was mouthing. He then made the decision to cut them off, but misjudged the distance,” Matura said.

The minivan clipped the Camry and sent it across the median. The Toyota then was hit in the rear by a Chevrolet Tahoe traveling west.

Killed in the crash were Al-Shamshad Sunbarni, 37, and her daughter Tooba Sunbarni, 13, both of Dallas.

Raheel Sunbarni, Tooba's 17-year-old brother, was listed in critical condition at East Texas Medical Center in Tyler. The driver, Shahroz Ali, 24, Dallas, was not injured.

Colbey Gateley, 5, of Canton, a passenger in the SUV, was in good condition in a Terrell hospital.

Al-Shamshad Sunbarni's visibly distraught husband later arrived at the scene.

Youngblood left the scene but was later arrested at a gas station in Canton after being followed by a witness who called 911.

Oh, Gee!!
12-29-2005, 10:37 AM
What I don't get about these road-ragers is why are they in such a hurry. Driving like an asshole (speeding, tail-gating, switching lanes every 5 seconds) will probably get you to your destination about 30 seconds earlier than you woulda arrived had you driven like a sane person. Unless you're speeding home to take a massive shit, there's no reason to drive like this.

SpursWoman
12-29-2005, 12:00 PM
That's awful. :(

I had a good time watching people the shopping days up until Christmas...in parking lots especially (only because no one got hurt). I mean, they waited until the last minute...knew it was going to be packed....yet got so frustrated and angry at just about everyone. Horns blaring, fingers shooting. I just had to sit back & laugh.

Yes, I got in the middle of all of that mess, but I knew what I was getting into. Made sure to hit the ladies room before I got into my car...got something good to drink...put in a good CD......took a few deep breaths. And prepared to wait...and laugh at all of the impatient stupid people flipping each other off. :)

Mixability
12-29-2005, 01:52 PM
I do the negative of "road rage". I like to slow down in front of people who don't obey the school zones. I always travel at least 5-10 more than regular speed limits, but I can't stand people who won't obey school zones. I don't care if there isn't a child in sight, slow the F down!

Vashner
12-29-2005, 02:20 PM
Actually slowing them down .. a blocking move could be considered road rage. An officer could ticket you for that. It's provoking. Now I am not saying it's right.. I have done it before to assholes..

I pack heat 24x7 so I try to avoid any driving incidents. Don't want the hassle of being booked and processed just cause I had to grease some asswipe that tried to attack. I have also attended a Conflict Resolution class taught by an FBI instructor here in town (Sammy Miller). As part of concealed handgun training curriculum.

Mixability
12-29-2005, 02:22 PM
Actually slowing them down .. a blocking move could be considered road rage. An officer could ticket you for that. It's provoking. Now I am not saying it's right.. I have done it before to assholes..

I pack heat 24x7 so I try to avoid any driving incidents. Don't want the hassle of being booked and processed just cause I had to grease some asswipe that tried to attack. I have also attended a Conflict Resolution class taught by an FBI instructor here in town (Sammy Miller). As part of concealed handgun training curriculum.

I don't actually don't cut in front of them and slam the brakes, I just stay even with the car next to me who's also doing 20mph, so they can't pass either one of us. I would assume the cop would ticket the guy on my ass who isn't interested in doing 20mph.

Vashner
12-29-2005, 02:29 PM
Yea,... btw do you notice that when it's super hot from 95-100+F that people get even more nuts?

Mixability
12-29-2005, 02:32 PM
Yea,... btw do you notice that when it's super hot from 95-100+F that people get even more nuts?

they must not have AC.... :lol

Vashner
12-29-2005, 02:42 PM
My advice on road rage would be....

Don't let some idiot put your life and future into risk because he / she is a moron. Just ignore and give way if possible.

Don't let them drag you into there stupid driving situation.

Mixability
12-29-2005, 04:20 PM
My advice on road rage would be....

Don't let some idiot put your life and future into risk because he / she is a moron. Just ignore and give way if possible.

Don't let them drag you into there stupid driving situation.

I drive a sports car and I'm constantly being rev'd at by stupid rice boys. :rolleyes I ignore them almost all the time. Only rarely, do I give in and beat that ass. Makes me want to trade in for a luxury car or SUV just to get away from that. Just because I'm young and have a sports car doesn't mean I want to race down Military Drive against your Honda Civic Type-R, lowered on some 19" RentaTire rims, with that Folgers can exhaust. :lol

RashoFan
12-29-2005, 05:12 PM
My turn to chime in...It drives me nuts to have someone tailgate my ambulance!!!!! I try not to slow down the flow of traffic,sometimes it is unavoidable. Most of the time if an ambulance is driving slow it is beacuse we have someone in back that my have a broken hip(very common in older folks, think of your grandparents and parents) or someone that has a back injury and is lying on a hard flat board. Every bump is felt while on that board and it sucks. Taking corners fast is not a comfortable feeling while being immoblized is very unnerving, people tend to get anxious in those situations. Just some food for thought. I try to take my patient's comfort into consideration while I am driving, the same as I would like for my fellow medics to take into consideration when my own mother has to be transported. In this business, you never know whose parents, spouses, children or friends that we transport....

Crookshanks
12-29-2005, 06:12 PM
Just another view point - while this incident is very sad, I wonder if the driver of the camry was one of those people who drive 60 miles an hour in the passing lane and refuse to get over. That pisses me off royally - there are signs all over the interstate that say the left lane is for passing only. And if you're being passed on the right by several cars in a row, maybe you should get your stupid butt over!

easjer
12-29-2005, 07:09 PM
This is tragic. My sister damn near lost her life to a crazy bitch with road rage, and here children lost their lives. Getting there a minute faster is not endangering your lives or the lives of your family.

And remember - we allow concealed handguns in Texas. You never know what some moron is carrying and how pissed off s/he may be by your decision to cut them off or speed past them.

Two further notes. To the posts about school zones - it's also worth remembering that a ticket for speeding in a school zone is $250 base + a fine for each mile over you are (but that varies by county). You can't get out of that ticket - there is no defensive driving or deferred adjudication allowed for school zone speeding tickets. SO not worth it.

And to the poster above who wondered if they were driving 60 in the passing lane - it doesn't matter. In Houston, there is no passing lane and the in town limit is 60. Now it may be generally understood that the further left you are, the faster you are allowed/supposed to go, and that if you are only driving 60, you should move. But she would have been totally within her legal rights, as the speed limit is 60, and NO ONE should be driving a higher rate of speed.

N.Y. Johnny
12-29-2005, 09:24 PM
That's awful. :(

I had a good time watching people the shopping days up until Christmas...in parking lots especially (only because no one got hurt). I mean, they waited until the last minute...knew it was going to be packed....yet got so frustrated and angry at just about everyone. Horns blaring, fingers shooting. I just had to sit back & laugh.

Yes, I got in the middle of all of that mess, but I knew what I was getting into. Made sure to hit the ladies room before I got into my car...got something good to drink...put in a good CD......took a few deep breaths. And prepared to wait...and laugh at all of the impatient stupid people flipping each other off. :)

Hey let tell you about something at Ingram Park Mall that happened to me, I drove in through where the Arrow points to in the parking lot and a little guy in a late 80's Cadillac El Dorado came in the wrong way and Honked at me and yelled some profanities in Spanish at me.
Normally I'd have yelled back and flipped him off, but when he honked at me the car horn, blared "La Cucaracha" real loud...holy shit that was funny. :lol

Mixability
12-30-2005, 01:48 AM
Just another view point - while this incident is very sad, I wonder if the driver of the camry was one of those people who drive 60 miles an hour in the passing lane and refuse to get over. That pisses me off royally - there are signs all over the interstate that say the left lane is for passing only. And if you're being passed on the right by several cars in a row, maybe you should get your stupid butt over!

Driving the speed limit is reason enough to die? :rolleyes