PDA

View Full Version : Wolves, Pacers discuss Artest

sa_butta
12-29-2005, 10:16 AM
http://www.startribune.com/511/story/151821.html

Kevin McHale had no updates, which is not surprising. Getting him to talk about personnel moves is harder than it was stopping him in the paint in his prime.

Kent Youngblood, Star Tribune
Last update: December 29, 2005 – 12:09 AM

Kevin McHale had no updates, which is not surprising. Getting him to talk about personnel moves is harder than it was stopping him in the paint in his prime.

But after the Timberwolves shootaround Wednesday morning McHale, the Wolves' vice president of basketball operations, confirmed what has been written more than a few times:

Yes, the Wolves have called Indiana about Ron Artest.

That the two sides have talked was reported in the Star Tribune Dec. 18; reports around the country in recent days have mentioned the Wolves among the teams with a chance to trade for Artest. How far those talks have gotten are unclear, but there is no indication the Pacers and Wolves have moved past opening inquiries toward concrete negotiations.

McHale did say he sees a big need to add scoring punch to the Wolves' roster.

"You either develop it or trade for it," McHale said. "Unless you're waiting for next summer. ... We definitely do need more scoring punch. Our defense has been solid. But some of those tough losses pile up on a team a little bit. You can tend to lose your confidence. We do need another scoring option for this team. A lot of guys here, individually, have to pick it up, too. [But] it would be nice to add that. You're always looking to add that."

McHale wouldn't talk about Artest specifically. But he didn't sound like a man who would necessarily let a player's reputation get in the way of a move.

"It's a very small league, you hear a lot of things, both good and bad," McHale said. "I think you have a decent idea of what you're getting. I don't think you're ever 100 percent sure. But you're pretty sure, especially if a guy's been around the league 5-6-7-8-9 years. Then you make an assessment as to the risk and reward."

Meanwhile, Wolves star Kevin Garnett was asked if Artest would fit in well with the Wolves.

"I think under certain specifications," Garnett said. "We have a group that knows how to play with each other. As long as he abides by that? I don't know. I'm pretty stingy when it comes to my teammates. You know, I'm tight with damn near everybody here."

Garnett did laud Artest, saying he was the rare combination of a superior defender who can also score. But he said he didn't know Artest well, though he did put in a call when Artest was going through his fight-induced suspension last season.

Would he welcome Artest?

"I have no choice," he said. "I don't make no decisions around here. So, whatever comes, I guess I just have to live with it until the summer gets here."

Jones a no-go after callup

Michael Olowokandi's sore right elbow forced him to miss a second consecutive game. But Mark Madsen's sore back was good enough to go as a top big man backup. That meant Dwayne Jones, recalled from the Florida Flame of the NBA Development League, was not active Wednesday night against Seattle.

The Wolves will monitor Olowokandi's progress before deciding how long to keep Jones with the team. The Wolves will spend the final holiday of the year in Florida. They play at Orlando on Friday, then at Miami on New Year's Day. How's this for a resolution: ending a two-game road losing streak?