PDA

View Full Version : Larry Brown is the most overrated coach in the NBA

adidas11
12-29-2005, 11:32 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/phil_taylor/12/28/hot.button/index.html?cnn=yes

Discuss. :fro

sa_butta
12-29-2005, 11:34 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28558&highlight=larry+brown

Oh, Gee!!
12-29-2005, 11:45 AM
I disagree. Most overrated coach is Dantoni (sp) from the Suns

Vinnie_Johnson
12-29-2005, 01:17 PM
He took The Clippers to the playoffs that right there is Hall of Fame stuff in my book.

BigVee
12-29-2005, 01:33 PM
Larry Brown = Norman Dale

phyzik
12-29-2005, 01:38 PM
most overratted coach ever is Phil Jackson, throughout his career he has ridden the coattails of super-teams.

ShoogarBear
12-29-2005, 01:51 PM
most overratted coach ever is Phil Jackson, throughout his career he has ridden the coattails of super-teams.
Couldn't you say he same thing about Pop?

Oh, Gee!!
12-29-2005, 01:56 PM

typical homer.

Vashner
12-29-2005, 02:06 PM
This article is like most of CNN's biased reporting.. a steaming pile of shit.

Rummpd
12-29-2005, 02:09 PM
Not sure he is #1 with Riley back = who lost year after year in the first round in his last decade but he is pretty darn close.

2centsworth
12-29-2005, 02:15 PM
here, here.

leemajors
12-29-2005, 02:54 PM

it's harder to coach big-time talent, you catch way more shit if you don't come through. i would say jackson is doing a pretty good job this season as well.

exstatic
12-29-2005, 03:11 PM

You rarely hear Pop mentioned with the best. How can you be overrated when you're barely rated at all?

SA210
12-29-2005, 03:22 PM
Well, it is weird when LB's won one championship, Pop 3, but all the talk is about LB. But that's the way it goes with the Spurs. Oh well.

exstatic
12-29-2005, 03:30 PM
LB is the best rebuilder there is. He took a Clippers team to the playoffs that hadn't made the trip in 10 years and didn't for another 10. He took a dreadful 20ish wins Philly team to the NBA Finals. He probably does more with less than any other coach in the game. I always said that if had a rebuilding project, I'd bring in Larry for 2-3 years, then fire him and bring in Phil.

Larry's two biggest faults are wanderlust and the fact that he never changes his spiel. Veteran players eventually tune him out. If Larry had been hired here in, say, 2001, he'd STILL be screaming at Tony Parker on every play. He never trusts his players.

jochhejaam
12-29-2005, 03:35 PM
Knicks are 7-20 (only Atlanta at 7-22 is worse) this year under Brown, they were 14-13 at the same time last year.
Brown's being paid roughly $125,000 per game this year, I think so-so coach could have done as well for far less, but money doesn't seem to be a problem with the Knicks organization.

The "experts" thought he might be worth an extra 7 wins this year which would give them an overall record of 40-42 if that panned out.

Too early to give him a grade at this time. (Glad I'm not a Knicks fan)

I wonder how long it'll be before he jumps ship from his "dream job".

Oh, Gee!!
12-29-2005, 03:36 PM
Knicks will be fine once they git rid of Marbury

ambchang
12-29-2005, 03:39 PM
I would say, right now, Brown is a disappoitment, but I would not call him the most overrated coach. People just judge coaches and players with what they are doing right now, but look at what Brown did with the Clippers, the Spurs, the 6ers, and such, each and every one of them over achieved. The season is only 27 games old, it's way too early to say that he is the most overrated coach, I believe his 25+ years of coaching excellence more than overcome this 1/3 season of disappointment.

jochhejaam
12-29-2005, 03:53 PM
I would say, right now, Brown is a disappoitment, but I would not call him the most overrated coach. People just judge coaches and players with what they are doing right now, but look at what Brown did with the Clippers, the Spurs, the 6ers, and such, each and every one of them over achieved. The season is only 27 games old, it's way too early to say that he is the most overrated coach, I believe his 25+ years of coaching excellence more than overcome this 1/3 season of disappointment.

I don't think Brown's overrated and I do think he's a great coach but it will be interesting to see what Brown can eventually do with a cast of "have beens", "never weres", self described "best point guard in the league" and some rookies (Frye looks like the real deal).

Not sure if Brown still has the patience and mettle to stick around for more than a couple of years with a team of that make-up...although $10,000,000 a year should help with those issues.

ducks
12-29-2005, 03:54 PM
the jury is out on phil jackson now that he has the lakers and not 2 superstars

Extra Stout
12-29-2005, 03:59 PM
the jury is out on phil jackson now that he has the lakers and not 2 superstars
Phil has Kobe, 4 turds, and 7 pieces of clumped-up cat litter running close to the division lead. Not too shabby.

ALVAREZ6
12-29-2005, 04:38 PM
I'm not sure if he's the most overrated, but he sure is an overrated piece of shit.

gmanrulz
12-29-2005, 04:46 PM
LB is the best rebuilder there is. He took a Clippers team to the playoffs that hadn't made the trip in 10 years and didn't for another 10. He took a dreadful 20ish wins Philly team to the NBA Finals. He probably does more with less than any other coach in the game. I always said that if had a rebuilding project, I'd bring in Larry for 2-3 years, then fire him and bring in Phil.

Larry's two biggest faults are wanderlust and the fact that he never changes his spiel. Veteran players eventually tune him out. If Larry had been hired here in, say, 2001, he'd STILL be screaming at Tony Parker on every play. He never trusts his players.

dunleavy now one of the best ever?

2centsworth
12-29-2005, 04:47 PM
Phil has Kobe, 4 turds, and 7 pieces of clumped-up cat litter running close to the division lead. Not too shabby.we're only 25 games or so in, everybody is close to the division lead.:lol

BTW, Lamar odom and Caron Butler are very good players. Those two with a rookie Dwayne Wade created a lot of hell in the east.

Butler for Kwame in hindsight was a horrible trade.

Vashner
12-29-2005, 04:53 PM
Larry is rebuilding... and how do you know part of his plan is to get a draft pic?

Larry knew they would not be uber this year. He has a 3 year plan.

Loosing a lot of games would make them in a sweet position to get talent for next year.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
12-29-2005, 04:57 PM
Larry is rebuilding... and how do you know part of his plan is to get a draft pic?

Larry knew they would not be uber this year. He has a 3 year plan.

Loosing a lot of games would make them in a sweet position to get talent for next year.

Maybe if they hadn't traded their next two first round picks for Eddie Curry you'd be right...

admack
12-29-2005, 04:59 PM
I watched larry every game for two seasons. I can say with assurance that after a time-out, he has just the right play called for the situation. His teams are always well prepared and knowledgable.

My only knock on him is that he will not give any control to the players. If he had set the guidelines for the Pistons and set back and let Billups handle things, the team would have been better off.

I'm not sure about overrated but I know that if your team lacks disclipine, composure and in need of X's & O's then larry Brown is the guy you need.

jochhejaam
12-29-2005, 05:01 PM
Brown has sung the praises of such nondescript players as Brevin Knight, Earl Watson and Eric Snow, for instance, while acting as though his own point guard, Stephon Marbury, a wonderfully gifted (although flawed) player, is a burden to be endured instead of a talent to be exploited.
Part of Brown's coaching skill involves psycological motivation, I recall a couple of examples of this psycology with Tayshaun, in the first he talked to the media after a game and told them that he was considering starting Darvin Ham over Tayshaun citing that Darvin was "dominating" practices, when Tayshaun was asked about this he said he didn't know anything about it but he had a good scoring night next game.
In the second instance during a game time out Brown told the players in the huddle "don't pass the ball to Tayshaun, he doesn't want to shoot". :lol

pjjrfan
12-29-2005, 05:09 PM

Well yes, but Pop admits it, and that is why he shuns all the hype, the awards and whatever, he gives credit to his players, especially Tim and David, and his assistent coaches. He makes no bones about his good fortune.

ahb
12-29-2005, 05:37 PM
I can say with assurance that after a time-out, he has just the right play called for the situation. :lmao

You're certainly a very self-assured young man on a variety of topics, aren't you? How'd that play that lost Game 5 of the Finals suit you?

Larry Brown is a very average in-game coach, something of a nutcase, and a complete egomaniac. He is a good teacher with a phenomenal knowledge of basketball, though. I guess it depends on what your team needs, but I suspect that the Knickerbocker players have a limited ability to be taught.

leemajors
12-29-2005, 05:41 PM
Maybe if they hadn't traded their next two first round picks for Eddie Curry you'd be right...

chalk that one up to the worst GM in the league. i'm surprised LB went there, isiah has made a lot of boneheaded moves.

ShoogarBear
12-29-2005, 05:59 PM
It's easy to dump on Larry now. Wait till the end of the year (also wait to see what Flip does with the Pistons).

Leetonidas
12-29-2005, 06:14 PM
I have a question for you Piston fans...

Are any of you mad that the Pistons chose to draft Darko instead of Carmello?

leemajors
12-29-2005, 06:27 PM
i think they would rather have tayshaun. at least i hope they would. his offensive capabilities are rapidly increasing, and a good defender is hard to find. plus they won a title after drafting darko, there is no guarantee they would have had they drafted melo!

jochhejaam
12-29-2005, 06:30 PM

If we had drafted Carmelo instead of Darko we would never have ended up with Rasheed and therefore may not have won a championship.

No doubt I'd like to have both Sheed and either Wade, Bosh or Anthony.

FreshPrince22
12-29-2005, 07:09 PM

First of all, Melo wasn't an option. The only other player aside from Darko that we worked out was Bosh, and Darko just impressed everyone much more (he's a workout warrior). We had Tayshaun, and Dumars believed in him. I'm glad Melo isn't on this team. The Pistons are based on chemistry and not having one player demanding the spotlight. Melo just doesn't fit the mold.

Then again, if we knew Sheed and Dice were going to fall into our lap, who knows what we would have done? We probably would have traded the pick away. Getting Sheed and Dice effectively killed Darko's career in Detroit, but it got us a championship and another finals appearance, so I'll take that trade-off any day. We can always use the free agency and trade our way into contention again once our run is over.

ducks
12-29-2005, 07:11 PM
brown against shaq was awesome

SouthernFried
12-29-2005, 09:18 PM
You can say the same thing about pop?

Are you kidding me?

After bringing in players like Manu and Parker...now all-stars, who very few even noticed.

Nah, I'd say, Pop is one of the most underrated coach's in the league..not overrated.

He still gets on my nerves tho ;)

Phil Jackson the most overrated...mebbe in history.

JMarkJohns
12-29-2005, 09:48 PM
This is so stupid. No coach can overcome inferior talent. None. They can get more out of it than most, but they won't succeed with it. Jackson and Brown are not overrated. Neither is Reilly. You need talent to win Titles. Has there ever been a coach who won a Title who didn't have at least one Hall-of-Fame player on his team?

In fact, Jordan, Shaq and Kobe all failed to win until Phil was their coach.

You need talent to win Titles. Can't fault a guy who wins Titles.

As for D'Antoni... Last year, I'll agree 100%. I still don't think much of him, but he's made some recent decisions that have proven he knows what he's doing. I don't like small-ball, but it works for him. This year, I think Flip is getting too much pub. He's solid, but not a great coach like some in the media make him out to be. Historically, I think Wilkens is overrated. Wilkens simply because he has both the most wins and most losses of all time. He's paraded around a great coach, but really he's an average coach who had some great teams.

Brown take bad teams and makes them good. Sometimes it takes longer than it should, but he always leaves them better than he found them.
Jackson takes good teams and makes them great. Sometimes he's given too much credit, but all those players have exactly ZERO rings without him.

exstatic
12-29-2005, 11:25 PM
dunleavy now one of the best ever?

Dunleavy EASILY has twice the talent on his Clip team than Brown did. Brown took a Clips team with basicly one good player, Danny Manning, and a bunch of scrubs like Loy Vaught and Gary Grant and Pooh Richardson to the playoffs.