PDA

View Full Version : Alright All You Computer Folks

12-29-2005, 10:10 PM
Here's the deal, I'm going to have to be in Lakeland Florida for the next few months and my wife and family will be staying here in San Antonio. I have at home an iMac and was planning on buying the iSight video camera and having them use that to video conference with me while I'm there. Problem is that I run Windows 2000 on my work laptop and was wondering if it is at all possible to connect the two. I can run iChat via AIM and connect if I had XP on my laptop, so I'm screwed there. I know you can run iChat through Google Talk on the Mac side, but what about the windows side that would be compatible?

Any help out there?

Vashner
12-30-2005, 01:03 AM
Wtf is "ichat".. some apple disease thing?

You should not buy the cam product if you don't have a match on the other side. Not only that a lot of laptops video chips really suck and are not suitable for video.

Nbadan
12-30-2005, 01:43 AM
Wtf is "ichat".. some apple disease thing?

:lol

Theoretically, you don't need services like IChat to video conference, as Vashner said it's better to have compatible cameras, but not totally necessary. All you need is a good broadband connection and a decent video card. Most cameras come with software that allows video conferencing.

Slomo
12-30-2005, 05:18 AM
Use Yahoo messenger webcam feature (there's a mac and a PC version)

http://messenger.yahoo.com/messenger/download/mac.html

http://messenger.yahoo.com/download.php;_ylt=AsBmf_43IrOZOKrH5CaI52JwMMIF

Slomo
12-30-2005, 05:26 AM
Skype would be even better but I don't know if there's a webcam plugin for the mac version. Anybody else knows that? Ducks?

lilmads
12-30-2005, 11:23 AM
I dont think Skype has the plugin for Mac...

Vashner
12-30-2005, 12:41 PM
Stick to email, phone voice and maybe a digital camera to send stills.

12-30-2005, 02:26 PM
Stick to email, phone voice and maybe a digital camera to send stills.

Probably will, but I thought it would be cool to try the new features.