PDA

View Full Version : EXTRA: Saints returning to Metarie and La. for 2006 season

exstatic
12-30-2005, 12:12 AM
As per E-N exclusive article:

E-N article (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/football/nfl/stories/MYSA123005.saints.en.283a72aa.html)

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-30-2005, 12:18 AM
E-N exclusive: Saints returning to Louisiana

Web Posted: 12/29/2005 10:16 PM CST

Tom Orsborn
Express-News Staff Writer
© 2005, San Antonio Express-News

New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson and NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue have reached an agreement to return the displaced team to its state-owned training facility in Metairie, La., after the season ends Sunday, sources have told the San Antonio Express-News.

Tagliabue is expected to inform the team's players and coaches of the decision when he meets with them today in San Antonio.

League spokesman Greg Aiello declined comment Thursday night.

The agreement likely eliminates the possibility of the Saints playing home games at the Alamodome in 2006. City officials had hoped the league would allow the Saints to play most of their games in San Antonio after the team averaged 62,666 for its three games at the dome this season and only 40,310 for four games at Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, La.

Aiello said the league would announce the Saints' schedule in January. Benson said last week the team would practice in the state where it would play its games.

The Saints likely will play most of their home schedule in Baton Rouge and perhaps the Louisiana Superdome, which Louisiana state officials say could be ready for use by November.

Scheduling conflicts in Louisiana, however, could send the Saints back to the Alamodome for some games.

Benson, who has long-standing personal and business ties to San Antonio, is said to have fears the Saints would struggle to attract fans and generate revenue in New Orleans given the economic shape of the city after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

San Antonio, meanwhile, has a growing corporate base that includes business leaders hungry to secure an NFL franchise.

But the league reportedly is ready to help the Saints financially. Tagliabue said a plan to subsidize the Saints with revenue from visiting teams' shares of gate receipts has been discussed with league owners. Assistance also might be given to the Saints in attracting free agents.

The agreement to return to Metairie doesn't rule out the possibility of an attempt by Benson after the 2006 season to relocate his team permanently to San Antonio.

The Saints' lease agreement with the state of Louisiana to play at the Superdome includes an exit clause that has a Jan. 15, 2007, deadline and could be exercised without penalty.

A return to Metairie would give the Saints a first-class NFL practice facility, something they lack in San Antonio.

Because of scheduling conflicts at the Alamodome, the Saints were forced late in the season to practice at the San Antonio Independent School District Spring Sports Complex near Burbank High School.

While the Alamodome has enough vacancies to host a full NFL home schedule next season, building manager Mike Abington said scheduling conflicts in October and December once again would force the Saints to look for other practice venues.

Tagliabue, who arrived in San Antonio late Thursday, and other league officials plan to address players and coaches this morning at the team's temporary headquarters near the Alamodome. The meeting is the first between the parties since Hurricane Katrina ripped through New Orleans four months ago and forced the team to move operations to the Alamo City.

NFL vice presidents Joe Browne, Mike Haynes, Roger Goodell and Jeff Pash accompanied Tagliabue to San Antonio. The party also plans to meet with Benson and other team officials.

Tagliabue could receive a chilly reception from Saints players angry that no decision has been announced about where the team would train and practice next season.

Several players also have criticized Tagliabue for not meeting with them sooner.

“The guys just feel like he let us down,” offensive lineman Wayne Gandy said. Today “is the last day of (practice), and that's almost four months since we've been here. And at no point in those four months did he find the time to stop by. It almost feels like it's just a PR move at this point.”

Gandy said the meeting could get “outrageous,” a view shared by several players.

“I'm sure there's a lot of frustration on guys' chests that they want to get off, and I'm sure he'll hear it,” receiver Joe Horn said.

Aiello, the NFL spokesman, said Tagliabue wanted to meet with the players sooner, but club officials “rejected” his attempts.

“He tried several times and was turned away,” Aiello said. “He was told it wasn't necessary, that the organization didn't think it was a good idea.”

Team officials have asked the players to be respectful of Tagliabue. Aiello said Tagliabue would attempt to answer all of the players' questions.

“He wants to share with them his perspective on what has happened and where they go from here,” Aiello said. “He wants to have a dialogue with them and hear their concerns and suggestions about how things can be better next year.”

Vashner
12-30-2005, 01:12 AM
Beep em'..

TheWriter
12-30-2005, 01:20 AM
Pretty much how I figured it would go done.

This will give NO's their season to try and convince the NFL they can support a team.

j-6
12-30-2005, 09:03 AM
Saints have deal to return to Louisiana in '06

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2275139

An agreement in principle struck between owner Tom Benson and NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue will return the New Orleans Saints to Louisiana for practice in 2006, and likely for the entire regular-season schedule.

The agreement, first reported by the San Antonio Express-News, was confirmed by two league owners, one of whom serves on the advisory committee that is counseling Benson on the direction of his franchise. The deal is expected to be announced on Friday when Tagliabue meets in San Antonio with Saints players, coaches and staffers.

"[The talks] haven't always been amicable, and [Benson] still has some doubts about all of this, but it looks like they're going back [to Louisiana]," said one owner.

Under the accord, which is expected to be finalized soon, the Saints will return to their permanent practice facility in Metairie, La., just outside of New Orleans. The state-owned training complex was commandeered by FEMA in the wake of Hurricane Katrina and was used as a staging area. Saints officials had previously contended that the facility was in disrepair, but the damage was not nearly as severe as originally indicated.

It is believed that, with the Saints in Metairie, the team will split its 2006 schedule between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. The Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans is not likely to be ready for play until November, but officials hope the process can be accelerated in the coming months.

League officials have said they hope to announce the Saints' schedule next month. But team officials were recently apprised an announcement might not come until March. The players have been outspoken about wanting to play their games in the community in which they are practicing.

Attendance for the four games played this season at Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge was disappointing, averaging only slightly more than 40,000.

Three weeks ago, NFL Players Association executive director Gene Upshaw advised the players not to renew their leases in San Antonio because the league was working hard to ensure their return to the Metairie facility for next season. That same day, however, in a separate session with players, Benson raised doubts about the return and reiterated that he might attempt to keep the team in San Antonio.

Benson has strong personal and professional ties to San Antonio, the suspicion remains that he would prefer to permanently relocate the franchise there. Benson fears that the rebuilding of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast, a process expected to take years, will threaten the financial viability of the team. The Saints owner has told associates that he will lose $45 million for the 2005 season.

The league in general, and certainly Tagliabue in particular, have made it clear they prefer that the franchise remain in New Orleans, even if that means playing a portion of the 2006 schedule away from the Superdome. There have been reports that Benson, who would need approval from other owners to move his team, might considering suing the NFL for the right to relocate.

It appears that under the pending agreement the Saints will not return to San Antonio for any home games in 2006. The business community there has rallied around the team and has embraced the notion of having the Saints move to San Antonio permanently. Three games at the Alamodome averaged 62,666 fans, and Mayor Phil Hardberger has been a driving force in trying to lure the displaced franchise to his city.

While the efforts of San Antonio civic leaders may make no difference for 2006, it is believed that the agreement between Benson and Tagliabue is for next season only, and will be revisited after that. Given the blunted economic climate of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast, it is conceivable that Benson will eventually attempt to relocate his team to San Antonio.

Meanwhile, it will be interesting to see how Tagliabue is received by Saints players who have been critical of the league's overall handling of the situation. Players feel the NFL has not supported them and are upset that Tagliabue has not met with them until now, on their final day of practice for this season. The league office pointed out that Tagliabue twice previously requested to meet with players but that his efforts were rebuffed.

Extra Stout
12-30-2005, 09:05 AM
San Antonio is more likely to get the Jaguars than the Saints.

j-6
12-30-2005, 09:11 AM
(1) Didn't Red McCombs say just yesterday or so that he thought that the NFL owners would recommend and approve an SA move, and Benson over the holiday weekend state that he wanted a split schedule in '06 including SA?

(2) Wasn't the owner of the Jags on that NOLA/SA owners advisory committee?

Extra Stout
12-30-2005, 09:18 AM
(1) Didn't Red McCombs say just yesterday or so that he thought that the NFL owners would recommend and approve an SA move, and Benson over the holiday weekend state that he wanted a split schedule in '06 including SA?
After decades of knowing him, San Antonians should by now be fully aware just how full of shit McCombs is.

(2) Wasn't the owner of the Jags on that NOLA/SA owners advisory committee?
I don't see where you're going with that.

j-6
12-30-2005, 09:45 AM
I don't see where you're going with that.

Wouldn't Weaver have some added familiarity to SA through dealing with Benson, SA, and Tagliabue via his committee?

Extra Stout
12-30-2005, 09:59 AM
Wouldn't Weaver have some added familiarity to SA through dealing with Benson, SA, and Tagliabue via his committee?
I guess a little. I still don't see how that makes a huge difference.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-30-2005, 10:17 AM
But the league reportedly is ready to help the Saints financially. Tagliabue said a plan to subsidize the Saints with revenue from visiting teams' shares of gate receipts has been discussed with league owners.

I can't believe y'all didn't see this coming. I've been saying that they'd either stay here or the league would subsidize the team in NO to make sure Benson didn't sustain a loss in economically revaged Louisiana.

As much as Tagliabue cares about PR, that he went with option #2 isn't all that surprising.

Sports Writer JJ
12-30-2005, 10:23 AM
Louisiana Guy here...

Benson still wants to come to SA. Us Fans in Louisiana have to do a better job showing up for games next season than the last 2 games this year...

I dont wanna get into a pissing contest over whether NO <> SA but just wanted to say we are not outta the woods yet....

I dont think that yall will get the Jags though guys, at least not soon.

The NFL is pretty peeved at your Mayor for running his mouth, and putting the league in the PR situation that he did, then tthe city encouraged benson to take the NFL to court publically...

You guys really need to elect a new mayor....

exstatic
12-30-2005, 10:30 AM
I think this was a mistake by Benson, even though most people saw it coming. Jacksonville's naming rights also end after next season , and they are in play. If he does decide that he wants to move the Saints after 2006, his bargaining position is diminished with another team possibly on the move.

As for McCombs, he IS a fool. He also said that Jerry Jones would support a Saints move into his perfect secondary market of San Antonio.

exstatic
12-30-2005, 10:44 AM
Jags are free to move after 2006. Thier city is fighting them over a chunk of naming rights, and some sort of naming rights of two touchdown clubs on each side. They play in a college stadium, the old Gator Bowl. SA would let them sell naming rights to the stadium, the parking lot, and the friggin restrooms if they want to.

As for Tagliabue, fuck him. He's done nothing but insult our city since this whole thing began. You don't really need his OK to move a team, and it has become painfully clear that we are going to HAVE to work around his obstructionist ass to get a team. He offered Benson the subsidy carrot to keep him from moving at this time, but how many times can he go to that well? Is he going to armtwist the owners into subsidizing JAX with no bad PR issues in play? I don't think so.

JAX, N.O., Minn, S.D, and Buffalo all come into play over the next few years, and if we put on a full court press, we should be able to snag one of them.

Extra Stout
12-30-2005, 10:51 AM
The NFL is pretty peeved at your Mayor for running his mouth, and putting the league in the PR situation that he did, then tthe city encouraged benson to take the NFL to court publically...

You guys really need to elect a new mayor....
Mayors come and go. Money assuages whatever hard feelings the league might feel.

This is playing out pretty much how I expected. Benson needs Tagliabue's subsidies to stay afloat. The money has strings attached, and the strings are attached to Los Angeles.

Meanwhile, everybody keeps their eyes focused on the N.O. versus S.A. "battle." N.O. appears to "win," the Saints get subsidized for a couple of years, then finally Tagliabue announces, perhaps tearfully, that the league simply can't sustain a team in a market where it has to be subsidized indefinitely. Then off to L.A. they go.

If Benson makes any noise about going to S.A., his subsidies get cut off and the team goes under. If he tries to sue the league, his subsidies get cut off and the team goes under. If he tries to stay in New Orleans, he loses his subsidies and the team goes under.

Tags has maneuvered a potentially bad P.R. situation into a good one. He's made Benson and San Antonio take all the heat for moving the team when it's also his own intention. He can play San Antonio as long as he likes and make S.A. look like the bad guy. He has Tom Benson on a financial leash now. In the event the Saints were to go bankrupt, he can blame Mother Nature, Tom Benson, Phil Hardberger's meddling, etc., everything but the league.

If Benson were a competent businessman rather than a senile old idiot, perhaps he could outmaneuver the league front office and make his way into San Antonio. But all he can do now is fume and scream and throw tantrums and shove cameramen. He may own the team, but he has no control over its future.

All San Antonio has done to its detriment is prevent itself from building up any sympathy when it gets screwed over. The league is not going to feel any pressure as if it "owes" San Antonio anything. But that won't change the growing viability of the market for a future team looking to relocate.

exstatic
12-30-2005, 11:35 AM
Oops. Forgot to address the mayor "thing". You have Ray Nagin, and you're telling us our mayor is a loudmouth WE need a new mayor? :lol:rollin

BTW, good analysis, ES.

exstatic
12-30-2005, 12:23 PM
BTW, this was most likely decided a while ago, like when Benson failed to invoke the force majeur clause in the SD lease. He could have done that, kept the $81M that it would have cost him to buy out of his SD lease, and stated his intention to move the team to SA, which makes me think he never wanted or intended to do that. The hilarious thing is that the L.A. consortium does NOT want the Saints, but I think they're getting them anyway.

SA210
12-30-2005, 01:17 PM
Mayors come and go. Money assuages whatever hard feelings the league might feel.

This is playing out pretty much how I expected. Benson needs Tagliabue's subsidies to stay afloat. The money has strings attached, and the strings are attached to Los Angeles.

Meanwhile, everybody keeps their eyes focused on the N.O. versus S.A. "battle." N.O. appears to "win," the Saints get subsidized for a couple of years, then finally Tagliabue announces, perhaps tearfully, that the league simply can't sustain a team in a market where it has to be subsidized indefinitely. Then off to L.A. they go.

If Benson makes any noise about going to S.A., his subsidies get cut off and the team goes under. If he tries to sue the league, his subsidies get cut off and the team goes under. If he tries to stay in New Orleans, he loses his subsidies and the team goes under.

Tags has maneuvered a potentially bad P.R. situation into a good one. He's made Benson and San Antonio take all the heat for moving the team when it's also his own intention. He can play San Antonio as long as he likes and make S.A. look like the bad guy. He has Tom Benson on a financial leash now. In the event the Saints were to go bankrupt, he can blame Mother Nature, Tom Benson, Phil Hardberger's meddling, etc., everything but the league.

If Benson were a competent businessman rather than a senile old idiot, perhaps he could outmaneuver the league front office and make his way into San Antonio. But all he can do now is fume and scream and throw tantrums and shove cameramen. He may own the team, but he has no control over its future.

All San Antonio has done to its detriment is prevent itself from building up any sympathy when it gets screwed over. The league is not going to feel any pressure as if it "owes" San Antonio anything. But that won't change the growing viability of the market for a future team looking to relocate.
good post :tu

SA210
12-30-2005, 01:18 PM
BTW, this was most likely decided a while ago, like when Benson failed to invoke the force majeur clause in the SD lease. He could have done that, kept the $81M that it would have cost him to buy out of his SD lease, and stated his intention to move the team to SA, which makes me think he never wanted or intended to do that.
I think your completely right. Bensons a frickin' snake.

rayray2k8
12-30-2005, 01:28 PM
I remember Jason Tomson from "hardcore Sports" was saying that somehow, he felt like San Antonio was gonna get "screwed", and it turns out, he was right!
Unreal!
I also get the feeling Benson will try moving the team again where he is attempt will be to "move" to San Antonio. But what Mayor Hardberger should do is just flip benson the bird!! :flipoff
Dont feel bad people. I think we proved to everyone even the NFL, that San Antonio IS ready to support and NFL, no matter how shitty the team is, because that was impressive how this city was able to get more that 60,000 in the dome with 2 of the worst teams in the league on a Saturday, and on Christmas eve.
THATS AMAZING!! All I can say is that I am a texan fan and GO REGGIE BUSH!! :elephant :elephant :smokin :spin :lol

SA210
12-30-2005, 01:35 PM
We did a great job.

j-6
12-30-2005, 02:02 PM
I was looking at exstatic's list of relocatable NFL teams, and I don't see some of those happening. The Bills have a rabid support base in Toronto and would wind up there in the event of a relocation. Minnesota and San Diego are about to get new stadia (and I'd think that LA would take in the Chargers).

Jacksonville is a possibility, and probably the best one. There's no long-term ties to the community since the team has only been around for ten years, and they can't sell out their facility even now when the team is good. And they've been at least decent basically since conception compared to the Browns and the Texans. (By the way, they tore down something like 90-95% of the old Gator Bowl when building Alltel)

SA might have to wait her turn behind LA, but any chance to show off when Portland, Las Vegas, Sacramento, and Orlando all are without teams needs to be taken.

Extra Stout
12-30-2005, 02:27 PM
SA might have to wait her turn behind LA, but any chance to show off when Portland, Las Vegas, Sacramento, and Orlando all are without teams needs to be taken.Orlando is hardly an hour away from Tampa/St. Pete. They're not in the running for anything.

Portland would be ahead of S.A., except it's likely they'll be preoccupied with the Marlins through the end of the decade.

And as much as Al Davis has pissed off the other owners, they aren't going to make him the meat in a sandwich between the 49'ers and Jaguars. That absolutely would kill the Raiders.

Vegas could be viable if the gambling issues could be worked out. Tags also may want a second team in L.A.

TheWriter
12-30-2005, 02:28 PM
SA might have to wait her turn behind LA, but any chance to show off when Portland, Las Vegas, Sacramento, and Orlando all are without teams needs to be taken.

Take Las Vegas and pretty much Sacramento out of said equation.

Las Vegas will never have all its casino's wipe pro sports gamvling from its books.

And Sac can't even finance a new arena for the Kings. I doubt they'll be able to finance an NFL stadium.

And Portland is a iffy one, they're pretty much after an MLB team and only an MLB team.

As for Orlando. I wouldn't count on them seeing how they don't have a very strong corporate base to showcase. Their economy is majority tourism.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-30-2005, 03:05 PM
Take Las Vegas and pretty much Sacramento out of said equation.

Las Vegas will never have all its casino's wipe pro sports gamvling from its books.

I suspect you're ignorant ass will still be crying about Vegas not being viable for pro sports teams when it's rolling out NBA and NFL teams.

All Vegas is going to do is what they do for UNLV games - suspend betting on all games involving the whole team. I.E., when they get the next NBA expansion team, all games involving said team will not be on the books, but all other NBA games will be.

It's not rocket science, but apparently is too much for some of you "small town" South Tejas volk.

j-6
12-30-2005, 03:05 PM
I disagree. You don't have to think that all four of those cities are a threat, but thinking that SA gets to sit at the head of the queue after LA just because three Saints games were played there is asinine. All four have a higher population*. Two have just an NBA team as far as major pro sports go, and the other two have zero. And I'm sure some smaller areas like Oklahoma City and Birmingham will throw their hats into the ring on top of that. Remember, fifteen years ago Jacksonville wan't even a blip on the NFL radar.

If SA is proactive like Portland has been for its' MLB hopes and not sitting around waiting, then they might have a shot. Otherwise, it's going to depend on the franchise and what the owner and the league want. I wonder if Tagliabue was trying to set a precedent with Benson.

*I don't give a shit about what population statistics you use. This is from wikipedia and they're good enough for me.

Extra Stout
12-30-2005, 03:28 PM
I disagree. You don't have to think that all four of those cities are a threat,Two of them definitely are no threat: Orlando and Sacramento. Geography rules them out.

but thinking that SA gets to sit at the head of the queue after LA just because three Saints games were played there is asinine. All four have a higher population*.SA enjoys a possible competitive advantage for reasons unrelated to the Saints games.

Two have just an NBA team as far as major pro sports go, and the other two have zero. Three on your list have NBA teams: Magic, Kings, Trail Blazers.

And I'm sure some smaller areas like Oklahoma City and Birmingham will throw their hats into the ring on top of that. Remember, fifteen years ago Jacksonville wan't even a blip on the NFL radar. The impending failure of the Jaguars in Jacksonville has taught the NFL something about such marginal markets, especially ones where the college football presence is so great. And Birmingham has pretty much given up the whole pro sports thing for now.

If Vegas comes to some agreement with respect to gambling, that's an attractive market. And Portland now is large enough to attract both MLB and the NFL, but the logistics of attracting both at the same time... yeesh.

If SA is proactive like Portland has been for its' MLB hopes and not sitting around waiting, then they might have a shot.In any discussion like this, the assumption is that San Antonio has visionary leadership in the public sector and in the business community that could make something happen. Without that, all this remains hypothetical.

gameFACE
12-30-2005, 03:31 PM

Hardeberger isn't very tactical but Tagliabue did take the first shot at SA.

The Marlins with Wolff to deal with have a better chance of landing in SA than the Saints with Phil to deal with.

As for any other NFL possibility SA has to still take care of it's stadium situation. But the Saints not coming here is no surprise.

Extra Stout
12-30-2005, 03:33 PM
The Marlins with Wolff to deal with has a better chance than the Saints with Phil to deal with.
As in, "infintesimally unlikely," as opposed to, "zero chance."

TheWriter
12-30-2005, 03:33 PM
I suspect you're ignorant ass will still be crying about Vegas not being viable for pro sports teams when it's rolling out NBA and NFL teams.

Bring this thread back to life in 500 years. Because that'll be about the time that Vegas tasks pro sports off the books.

:lol :lol

All Vegas is going to do is what they do for UNLV games - suspend betting on all games involving the whole team. I.E., when they get the next NBA expansion team, all games involving said team will not be on the books, but all other NBA games will be.

That doesn't work with professional teams.

All betting must be pulled from the boards.

I've heard the Maloofs go on about it. And I think they know a tad bit more than... you.

It's not rocket science, but apparently is too much for some of you "small town" South Tejas volk.

Better small town south Tejas volk than small dick north Texas cunt.

TheWriter
12-30-2005, 03:42 PM
Stern said that in order to be considered a future NBA market, all sports books in Nevada would have to voluntarily ban betting on NBA games.

Removing NBA games from sports books would be expensive for the casinos. In Nevada, $2.5 billion dollars is wagered yearly in sports books. Of that, $375 million is wagered on NBA games.

The NBA has been consistent in staying more than an arm's length away from legalized gambling. Before Toronto and Vancouver were given their franchises in 1995, Canadian provincial lotteries had to take all NBA games off the board.

AHF, it must suck getting benched in favor of "The Loser" Buddy Writer Holly.

Extra Stout
12-30-2005, 03:44 PM
That's some P3WNage right there. Aggie may have to beat himself in the ass with an axe handle to feel better.

Vashner
12-30-2005, 03:51 PM
Time to make another pro league and bring back the Gunslingers...

Sigh..

j-6
12-30-2005, 05:55 PM
Two of them definitely are no threat: Orlando and Sacramento. Geography rules them out.

SA enjoys a possible competitive advantage for reasons unrelated to the Saints games.

Three on your list have NBA teams: Magic, Kings, Trail Blazers.

The impending failure of the Jaguars in Jacksonville has taught the NFL something about such marginal markets, especially ones where the college football presence is so great. And Birmingham has pretty much given up the whole pro sports thing for now.

If Vegas comes to some agreement with respect to gambling, that's an attractive market. And Portland now is large enough to attract both MLB and the NFL, but the logistics of attracting both at the same time... yeesh.

In any discussion like this, the assumption is that San Antonio has visionary leadership in the public sector and in the business community that could make something happen. Without that, all this remains hypothetical.

The point isn't the merits of each city, or the fact that I forgot the Orlando Magic existed on an NBA team's fan website. It's that San Antonio needs to do all the things a prospective expansion candidate (even for a relocation) should do or they're going to get jobbed. Remember in the last expansion bowl the city has a year-old domed stadium and didn't even get out of the second round.

The National Football League has made it very clear that it doesn't believe to owe San Antonio anything. SA is not LA. The city is going to have to work to earn a place at the table and nothing will be accomplished by waiting around. Public committees, stadium plans, PSL's, whatever. As long as its public.

Ever wonder why a guy like Red who can afford to give $50 million to UT never moved the Vikings to South Texas, even with all of the Metrodome issues? Jesus, in Red's ownership tenure, the freaking Cleveland Browns moved to Baltimore and the LA Rams moved to St Louis, and each had been in their former markets for longer than the Vikings had been in existance. Not to mention that Bud Adams moved his team from right down I-10 to Nashville.New stadiums, naming rights, concessions, promises to build new offices and indoor training facilities, et al.

Just make the league forget that the Saints practiced at Burbank and lifted weights in a tent, OK? Plan ahead or fall behind, guys. That's all I'm saying.

T Park
12-31-2005, 12:28 AM
Not suprising.

Hardberger supposedly will want to join Benson in taking the NFL to court to keep the Saints in SA.

But truth be told.

If I had a chance to get the Jaguars??

Id take the freakin Jaguars.

exstatic
12-31-2005, 12:46 AM
j-6 Minny didn't get their ballot initiative done before the sex boat scandal. Word is that they didn't dare do it for a while or it would be a dead duck in that conservative Lutheran area. I agree with the Bolts possibly going (back) to LA. One wouldn't think that Buffalo would move, but Ralph Wilson isn't a young man by any stretch, and odder things have happened when teams are passed down in a family.

my2sons
12-31-2005, 12:53 AM
fagliabue is giving la one year to get its shit together....he's not doing this for nola...he's going to prove what everybody already knows, that NOLA cannot support a football team in its current condition. they'll draw their 500 fans a nite and fags will ck out the la market at the end of the season and if they show their california attitude of not wanting a pro team then sa is back in the mix. fags is covering his ass by saying we tried but it can't be done and la has the ownership in place to take over the team. the beauty is that la could care less about pro ball and when they show their apathy then fags can say sa you earned this team so you can have them for a year or two....

SequSpur
12-31-2005, 08:32 AM
I've read some dumb ass comments in this topic.

First of all, the Saints or any other NFL team aren't going under. Are you fucking retarded? After these new TV deals go into effect next season, most of these franchises will be worth a billion.

The Saints belong to New Orleans... They were here because of the fucking hurricane. If there was no hurricane, they weren't going to come here....

Doesn't take a retard to figure that out.

Now.... Benson, Tagliabue and the rest are now going into due diligence mode... my guess is that the Saints will be back soon unless the Government or the NFL pays the fucking bills.

New Orleans is still jacked up. The infrastructure is not there to support an elementary school flag football team. I honestly don't think that the US government wants to unload billions to fix that place up either.

They might fix the levys, and highways, but only to process oil and shit like that.

Nobody hosed anybody. If you remember how the ducks fell in a row, then you understand why San Antonio and the Saints are where they are at right now.

If you think anything else, you're a fucking idiot.

TheWriter
12-31-2005, 10:20 AM
Remember in the last expansion bowl the city has a year-old domed stadium and didn't even get out of the second round.

Houston has a doomed stadium?

Wait, are you talking about Jacksonville and Charlotte? Niether of which have a domed stadium.

The National Football League has made it very clear that it doesn't believe to owe San Antonio anything.

No, but we'e more than proved we are a city that can support a football team.

SA is not LA.

Really?

Man lands on Moon you say as well.

Ever wonder why a guy like Red who can afford to give $50 million to UT never moved the Vikings to South Texas, even with all of the Metrodome issues?

Yeah, lack of city leadership both visually and mentality.

But you don’t live here so you wouldn’t know. You just want to display your “sports aficionado” like knowledge to the rest of us simpletons.

Jesus, in Red's ownership tenure, the freaking Cleveland Browns moved to Baltimore and the LA Rams moved to St Louis, and each had been in their former markets for longer than the Vikings had been in existance.

Jesus, just give it up kid. You know as much about sports as GiG knows about the female vagina.

McCombs bought the Vikings in 1998. The Ravens (Browns) moved in 1995 and the Rams moved in 1995.

Not to mention that Bud Adams moved his team from right down I-10 to Nashville.

You fail to understand how inept our leadership was during most of the poast relocations. Leadership that didn't care about bringing a team to SA because the Dome had the Spurs.

And when the Dome laid empty, we had a Mayor who pubicly said he didn't care about bringing a football team to SA and was more worried about the MLS.

Garza was a major reason Red never moved the Vikings to SA.

New stadiums, naming rights, concessions, promises to build new offices and indoor training facilities, et al.

Which I am more than sure that Hardberger and Benson will discuss these same things once the NFL season is over.

Just make the league forget that the Saints practiced at Burbank and lifted weights in a tent, OK?

Yeah, because we had ample time to somehow build the Saints a state of the art practice facility. :rolleyes

Maybe we should have just given them use of our super state-of-the-art and super secret NFL quailty practice center.

I think its right next to the Spurs practice facility, expect under the ground some 500 feet.

Plan ahead or fall behind, guys. That's all I'm saying.

That and you're as much an expert of sports as GiG is at having sex with women.

exstatic
12-31-2005, 11:40 AM
The Saints belong to New Orleans... They were here because of the fucking hurricane. If there was no hurricane, they weren't going to come here....

Sunday, May 01, 2005
By Jeff Duncan
Staff writer

Will this be the last year of Saints football in New Orleans?
The possibility exists.

But it's highly unlikely.

Saints owner Tom Benson's decision Wednesday to break off negotiations with the state opens the door for the team to relocate to another city after the 2005 season.

The current agreement allows the franchise to leave Louisiana after the 2005 season by repaying the $81 million it received during the first four years of the deal. The club has a one-time, 90-day window after the 2005 season to invoke the exit clause and pay the penalty. If the Saints do not take the option, the current deal remains in place through 2010.

Benson has consistently said he wants to keep the team in New Orleans and eventually turn it over to his granddaughter, Rita LeBlanc, who is a team executive. Last month, he even offered to drop the team's exit clause if the state -- which has a one-time, 30-day option to cancel the current deal after the 2007 season -- would do likewise. State officials declined.

Article from 4 months BEFORE Katrina (http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpage/index.ssf?/base/news-3/111492705491150.xml)

TheWriter
12-31-2005, 12:30 PM
Goodbye NFL — for now, at least

Web Posted: 12/31/2005 12:00 AM CST

Tom Orsborn
Express-News Staff Writer

The New Orleans Saints are leaving San Antonio after this season, but the city's NFL dreams won't be going with them.

If anything, they got even bigger Friday when league commissioner Paul Tagliabue and Saints owner Tom Benson emphasized in separate statements that the NFL's perception of the market has changed.

"San Antonio has nothing to prove to anyone anymore," said Benson, who announced his team would return to its training facility in Metairie, La., next month and likely would play its 2006 home schedule in Louisiana. "San Antonio is an NFL-caliber city. There is no doubt in anybody's mind anymore. The business community, the individuals and the New Orleans Saints proved that."

Calling San Antonio a "growing and changing market," Tagliabue made it clear the city earned points with the NFL by hosting the displaced team, which averaged 62,666 spectators for the three games at the 65,000-seat Alamodome.

"The sense I have is if we ever get around to considering expansion in the NFL, San Antonio would be on anyone's short list," Tagliabue said.

With that in mind, Tagliabue said he hopes to meet after the season with the city's business leaders and possibly Mayor Phil Hardberger in New York or another location.

"That's something we will be pursuing," Tagliabue said after meeting with Saints players, coaches and staff.

Hardberger, who's vacationing on his boat in the Gulf of Mexico, said in a statement that he would respect Benson's decision to return the Saints to Louisiana. The mayor had hoped to negotiate with Benson after the season for the Saints' permanent relocation to San Antonio.

"All along, this was going to be a decision made by the NFL and the Saints organization," Hardberger said. "Our city welcomed the Saints and supported them when they did not have a home. Our goal was to prove to the NFL that San Antonio is a city that is ready for a team, and we have done that."

The commissioner, who urged the Saints to return to New Orleans to aid in rebuilding efforts following the devastation of Hurricane Katrina, didn't rule out more games in San Antonio next season.

"Every effort is going to be made to play as many games as we can in the (Louisiana) Superdome," Tagliabue said, "but based on the information we have now, it is too early to tell if all the games will be there or for that matter in Louisiana."

Benson said the Louisiana state commission that manages the Superdome told him it could be ready for games by Sept.15. He said his team wants to play in one building after splitting home games this season between San Antonio and Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, La., where the Saints played four games and averaged about 40,000 fans.

"I should know in another 30 days whether we can play all our games in the Superdome," Benson said. "If it's not ready, we might be back in (San Antonio) on our bended knees asking the mayor if we could play a few games here."

Some observers believe Benson could be back in San Antonio after the 2006 season to flirt again with San Antonio. But he said he hopes to talk to Louisiana state officials soon about restructuring the Superdome lease, which runs through 2010.

"I talked to the governor today, and she told me the Saints coming back to Louisiana was the best news she's heard in a long time and that we would be meeting as soon as possible to talk about the future," Benson said.

Likewise, Tagliabue said the Saints' return is not a "one-year experiment." Still, he said it's not a "slam dunk" that the economically depressed New Orleans market can support an NFL franchise long-term.

"Our goal was to make it a multiyear effort," Tagliabue said. "But I have also said there are a lot of things that have yet to be accomplished before we can be certain that it will be a multiyear effort. That seems to be inherent in the whole rebuilding process.

"There are so many things that seem to be chicken-and-the-egg decisions: We can only do this if that is done, and this business can only come back if that's done, and if that business comes, it will have a positive ripple effect.

"It's a complicated situation, which is one of the reasons we are so appreciative of the support we got in San Antonio."

Tagliabue denied he league pressured Benson to return to Louisiana. He said it was Benson's decision and that the league's owners supported it.

"Like everybody else, Mr. Benson has been dealing with things that no one ever thought they would have to deal with," Tagliabue said. "He's been looking at different alternatives, thinking of all the pros and cons, both short-term and long-term."

Benson said he decided to return to Louisiana because the Saints "owe it to the fans and citizens of Louisiana to do our best in leading the effort to rebuild and revitalize New Orleans. Quite simply, it is the right thing to do at this time."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/football/nfl/stories/MYSA123105.01A.Saints.223b50aa.html

MannyIsGod
12-31-2005, 12:36 PM
:lmao @ this thread.

Com'on now, it was nice to dream, but didnt many people predict this a long time ago?

TheWriter
12-31-2005, 12:57 PM
I guess we can close this thread now.

Thanks Manny.

MannyIsGod
12-31-2005, 01:18 PM
Well, I don't expect your wet dreams to stop anytime soon, but people told you this would happen when this first started, and you said it wouldn't. Now of course, you say you thought this would play out this way the entire time, and that the city will get a team in a different way or even from a different city. When that doesn't happen, you'll invent a new pipe dream and it will never cease.

So don't worry about closing this thread or any of the others you're bound to create.

TheWriter
12-31-2005, 08:01 PM
Well, I don't expect your wet dreams to stop anytime soon, but people told you this would happen when this first started, and you said it wouldn't.

At first maybe, but not as of the last 3 months.

Now of course, you say you thought this would play out this way the entire time, and that the city will get a team in a different way or even from a different city.

Nope. Saints are still in the mix. As said by Tags and Benson yesterday. You'd probably know that if you weren't too busy parking my car.

And if you don't think San Antonio hasn't moved up in the eyes of the NFl, hell, the sports world via those three games, than you're nothing more than a big eared dingbat.

sportsfann1976
12-31-2005, 09:07 PM
Hi guys, remember me?

Well, it looks like the Saints will be marching home after all. I knew it all along. I guess the San Antonio Saints banners didn't convince Tag. I have to admit, some SA ians were great and tactful at having our team play there but others, including your mayor, were blood sucking jerks ready to kick someone when they were down. To all those good SAians I say, I hope you get your own team, in the meantime you have the Cowboys. Afterall, yall wore their apparel to the Saints games anyway, right? To the others I say, ahhhhhhhhhhhh, tooooooo baddddd!!! The Saints are marching home for good!! Everyone that I know, including myself, is either in the process of moving home or are already home. So we WILL be able to support our team. You'll see, just like I said it before, but no one believed me. Oh well, you win some and you lose some! Happy New Years!

MannyIsGod
01-01-2006, 12:33 AM
At first maybe, but not as of the last 3 months.

Nope. Saints are still in the mix. As said by Tags and Benson yesterday. You'd probably know that if you weren't too busy parking my car.

And if you don't think San Antonio hasn't moved up in the eyes of the NFl, hell, the sports world via those three games, than you're nothing more than a big eared dingbat.
Do you really want to make fun of my looks? I know what you look like, do you want me to start bagging on that?

exstatic
01-01-2006, 02:09 AM
Hi guys, remember me?

Well, it looks like the Saints will be marching home after all. I knew it all along. I guess the San Antonio Saints banners didn't convince Tag. I have to admit, some SA ians were great and tactful at having our team play there but others, including your mayor, were blood sucking jerks ready to kick someone when they were down. To all those good SAians I say, I hope you get your own team, in the meantime you have the Cowboys. Afterall, yall wore their apparel to the Saints games anyway, right? To the others I say, ahhhhhhhhhhhh, tooooooo baddddd!!! The Saints are marching home for good!! Everyone that I know, including myself, is either in the process of moving home or are already home. So we WILL be able to support our team. You'll see, just like I said it before, but no one believed me. Oh well, you win some and you lose some! Happy New Years!

You didn't support your team worth a shit before the hurricane. Why should it be different now? Back for good? Better fill that dome bigger than you have in the past. Blanco is also going to end the subsidy in 2007. Look for some moving vans in Metairie about that time. It may not be to SA, but it WILL be out of N.O.

MannyIsGod
01-01-2006, 02:16 AM
blah blah blah blah blah blah
Fix your damn levees.

CrashMag
01-01-2006, 04:04 AM
Fix your damn levees.
If they do how do they get more FEMA money?????
It wont happen….

http://www.katrinadestruction.com/images/d/1034-2/14579w.jpg
we will keep the fans not the team!!!!!

rr2418
01-01-2006, 08:05 AM
The Saints leaving SA?? THANK GOD!!!!

Now maybe all those "SAints" t-shirts can go where they belong.................the trash!!!

Brutalis
01-01-2006, 02:42 PM
Thanks you Saints. Away from Texas you go.

TheWriter
01-02-2006, 01:39 AM
Do you really want to make fun of my looks? I know what you look like, do you want me to start bagging on that?

You know how I look? Do I have a stalker on my hands?

TheWriter
01-02-2006, 01:43 AM
San Antonio finds a silver lining

City feels it's in better position to get a team

Saturday, December 31, 2005
By Mike Triplett
Staff writer

SAN ANTONIO -- NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue broke the news to San Antonio on Friday that the Saints would be moving out of town for next season, but he did show great appreciation to the Alamo City and offered the city a greater hope than ever before that it might one day be in the running for an NFL franchise.

"I guess the sense I have is that if we ever get around to considering expansion in the NFL, that San Antonio would be on anyone's short list," Tagliabue said. "As you all know, we don't currently have expansion under consideration. But at some point the likelihood is the league would get to those kinds of issues."

Those words were a far cry from the more dismissive statements Tagliabue made about San Antonio in September, when he said the NFL had no interest in "moving any teams into small markets."

Tagliabue said he has noticed the economic and corporate growth of San Antonio, even in the past four years since he met with former mayor Ed Garza to discuss the city's NFL feasibility.

Tagliabue cited the business presence's of Toyota and AT&T, among others in San Antonio.

"I have a pretty good understanding, I think, of how the area is growing and what it represents. Needless to say, we've also been aware of the NBA's success here, and the Final Four and so many other events," said Tagliabue, who met Thursday night in San Antonio with former mayor Henry Cisneros, who is known as the "father of the Alamodome" because of his efforts to bring an NFL team to town when the building was constructed in 1993.

Saints owner Tom Benson went even farther than Tagliabue, offering strong praise for the city that took in his football team after Katrina.

"I would like to state for the record that we would not have been able to field a team or continue to play the 2005 season or the 2006 season if it weren't for the political leadership of San Antonio, the business support of San Antonio and most importantly the diehard football fans of San Antonio," Benson said. "San Antonio made this team and our organization feel entirely at home. And what I have known about this great city for years was proven to the rest of the world over the past few months. San Antonio has compassion, enthusiasm, character, charm determination and grit - all qualities that make this city a world-class, NFL-caliber city. And I'm confident that we'll one day soon in some way shape or form become a reality and have an NFL club."

San Antonio still would have to prove it could support two professional franchises, and any NFL team would likely demand a new stadium to replace the already-outdated Alamodome.

City leaders believe they at least showed that the interest from the fan base and the business community are ample. The Saints sold more than 60,000 tickets to each of their three home games at the Alamodome this season.

San Antonio officials took Tagliabue's announcement in stride Friday.

A return to New Orleans had been expected for some time, and city leaders have insisted that their efforts this year were more about proving a point to the NFL than specifically luring the Saints.

To that end, they believe they accomplished their goal.

"No doubt about it. It was reflected in the commissioner's words today," said Christian Archer, a special assistant to San Antonio mayor Phil Hardberger and the point man in the city's NFL dealings.

Hardberger, who was on vacation and unavailable for comment, released a statement.

"All along, this was going to be a decision made by the NFL and the Saints organization, and of course I respect the decision they've made," the statement said. "Our city welcomed the Saints and supported them when they did not have a home. Our only goal was to prove to the NFL that San Antonio is a city that is ready for a team, and we have done that.

". . . Whether it is professional baseball or the NFL, owners around the country are turning their attention to San Antonio. There's no longer any doubt that San Antonio is a city on the move."

Hardberger and other officials also met with the Florida Marlins earlier this month about a possible relocation. Archer said four professional sports franchises have contacted San Antonio this year to test the waters, based largely on the city's impressive response to hosting the Saints.

The Saints remain a possibility for San Antonio in 2007 or beyond.

The NFL and the Saints are trying to make things work in New Orleans, but if the post-Katrina community cannot support an NFL franchise, or does not want to support Benson, then San Antonio would be a top alternative.

"It would be hard to speculate on that today, but I hope if any team in the league is thinking about relocating, they would look to San Antonio," Archer said.

Tagliabue and Benson, along with Saints coach Jim Haslett, receiver Joe Horn and others, were all highly complimentary of San Antonio's efforts to host the Saints on such short notice in the wake of Katrina's impact during the final week of the preseason.

"Everybody from the fans to the mayor to other elected officials and the business community have been pretty outstanding, and we're very grateful for what they did," said Tagliabue, who said it was unfortunate that so many San Antonio officials seemed to feel slighted and disrespected by him as this year went on. "I think the unfortunate part is that in the context of being for a loyal commitment to Louisiana, some people have construed that as being against San Antonio. That's not the case."

Haslett and Horn said San Antonio would be very deserving of its own NFL franchise.

"The people bent over backwards for us," Haslett said. "It's a great city and a first-class city."

Said Horn, who bought a house in San Antonio and moved his family to the area this season: "Hopefully they get a NFL football team because they damn well deserve it. I love San Antonio. I'll always have a special place in my heart for San Antonio because of the way they opened their arms to us.

"I may keep my house here, so I can come back in the offseason and play golf."

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-21/113603765655090.xml